Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mass shooting in el paso

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Midlife

It will never be solved. Doesn't matter who's in charge, Trump, Obama, Clinton, Biden etc... the problem is too big for any government to master.

True but it doesn't matter if you're an Imam with a hook or POTUS. Deliberatly sow division based on race or religion or whatever and there's always some loser out there like this who will take it to this level.

Words have consequences.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭InTheShadows

Not a good sign if long long lines for the blood banks and the fact they haven't released the death toll yet. You'd imagine if it was 10 or less you'd have heard by now.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Despite the regular occurence of these shootings, that statement isn't true. It's a massive country with a massive population and Ireland would be just as dysfunctional if it were that size and had the same gun laws. People get along just the same as they do here, as in 99% of the time.

It's just an incredible shame they don't make any efforts to stop these weapons being sold, but there are so many guns already about the place I don't know if that would make a difference.

Having lived in both countries pretty much the only thing I prefer here is that guns are not illegal. It's a huge worry off your mind, but is Irish society in any less of a 'free fall'? No. They're actually very similar societies believe it or not, it's just that what you get from TV and the media makes it seem otherwise.

No. We have very different laws and very different mindsets.

Midlife wrote: »
    True but it doesn't matter if you're an Imam with a hook or POTUS. Deliberatly sow division based on race or religion or whatever and there's always some loser out there like this who will take it to this level.

Words have consequences.

Yeah and Antifa, BLM, KKK etc... all are as big a part of the problem as anyone else. They all sow the seeds of hate

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭It wasnt me123

It will never be solved. Doesn't matter who's in charge, Trump, Obama, Clinton, Biden etc... the problem is too big for any government to master.

A good start would be offering an amnesty like New Zealand and pay people to hand in guns. There are people in America who own in excess of 50 guns - its insane.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Plenty of examples where mass shootings in other countries were followed by reform of gun laws. Don't see why it's so different in USA once the political will is there.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

CNN "God i hope he's a white Trump supporter"

Fox News " God i hope he was a Muslim"

That's America in a nutshell now.

QFT

• Registered Users Posts: 24 No longer eat meat

Strange truth is there are just as many guns owned in the 1970s in the USA as there are today but back then it hardly ever occurred, Why is that? Seems to me it’s a societal issue more than simply a gun issue . Why weren’t there mass shootings back then but there are now ?

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    Plenty of examples where mass shootings in other countries were followed by reform of gun laws. Don't see why it's so different in USA once the political will is there.

Well then you don't know America or American's.

Strange truth is there are just as many guns owned in the 1970s in the USA as there are today but back then it hardly ever occurred, Why is that? Seems to me it’s a societal issue more than simply a gun issue . Why weren’t there mass shootings back then but there are now ?

Mental health issue as much as gun issue but it's easier to blame the guns.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,342 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

It's not. US had an assault weapons ban in the 1990s and mass shootings dropped dramatically. Seen a huge rise since ban was revoked

• Registered Users Posts: 20,053 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Because any government who reformed gun laws would be voted out next opportunity.

The political will is probably stronger than the voter will.

It’s so dishonest to hear the discussion about gun laws. What the pro guns people never say is that guns are great craic to play with and they are willing to accept the current level of violence and tragedy to stop any restrictions on guns. The attitude that there can be NO additional controls on guns is strange but it’s fairly standard in the USA.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,332 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Not a good sign if long long lines for the blood banks and the fact they haven't released the death toll yet. You'd imagine if it was 10 or less you'd have heard by now.

Joe Biden just said 20 including a child. Unconfirmed.

There were any least 2 children taken to hospital including a 2 year old.

What a ****ing monster this guy is

• Registered Users Posts: 5,330 ✭✭✭Augme

Midlife wrote: »

Words have consequences.

Yeah and Antifa, BLM, KKK etc... all are as big a part of the problem as anyone else. They all sow the seeds of hate

How do BLM sow seeds of hate?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭greencap

Mental health issue as much as gun issue but it's easier to blame the guns.

Kind of leaves you with two ways to address the problem then.

(1) cure all mental health issues.
    (2) restrict certain gun models.

Neither seem particularly easy, but if you look closely I think you'll find one is a whole lot easier than the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,332 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Gun laws in Texas:

- no universal background checks

- no ban on assault weapons of high capacity magazines

- no licensing or registration requirements for gun owners

- no limits on how many firearms can be purchased at one time

• Registered Users Posts: 11,759 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

A good start would be offering an amnesty like New Zealand and pay people to hand in guns. There are people in America who own in excess of 50 guns - its insane.

I'll be in the States in October. I'm going to visit relations and also one friend whose father owns 290 guns. He is a collector and has never ever broken a law.

Nothing wrong with having lots of guns if your head is screwed on right.

There's probably + 400,000,000 guns in the country. Even if people were accommodating, how much would it cost to pay for those guns?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Another image doing the rounds...

paso5.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,355 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

For christ's sake. What a sick bástard. To hear that he shot children as well as adults is outrageous & disturbing.

A mental hospital is the only sensible place fit for a guy like him.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,759 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

rossie1977 wrote: »
    It's not. US had an assault weapons ban in the 1990s and mass shootings dropped dramatically. Seen a huge rise since ban was revoked

Very few mass shootings are carried out using fully automatic firearms such as the ones covered by the assault weapons ban.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,053 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

greencap wrote: »
    Kind of leaves you with two ways to address the problem then.

(1) cure all mental health issues.
    (2) restrict certain gun models.

Neither seem particularly easy, but if you look closely I think you'll find one is a whole lot easier than the other.

Plus the fact that addressing mental health has all kinds of social benefits. But you're just not speaking the language of Texans.

What would Jesus do? Probably privatise health care and only give it to those who can afford it, right? Because of all the capitalism and 'your fellow man can sink or swim oh their own' sentiment in the bible.

Fact is, they consider the gun violence a fair trade off in exchange for easy access to guns. It's their choice ultimately.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,564 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Thoughts and prayers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭nc6000

Good point but not sure how much of an impact an amnesty will have. At this stage it's gone too far when American civilians already own an estimated 393 million guns. I'm assuming that the amount of ammunition already sold to go with these guns is many many multiples of this.

Even if all sales were banned tomorrow how can they even start to get that quantity of weapons back?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Simple solution raise the price of bullets to 150 dollars each. Of course the counter argument is you are making it unaffordable for the poor to kill someone...soz mean protect themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,798 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Unsurprising but shocking all the same. RIP to all the victims.

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭Sharp MZ700

I'm immune to American gun shootings I'm sorry to say. Don't get me wrong I put myself shopping with my two kids and picture a lunatic appearing out of nowhere where I defend them with my own life, but Christ it's so often now it just runs off the ducks back.

No disrespect to those victims RIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭uncleoswald

No there are a lot more guns now. The stat that has relatively stayed the same is the number of households with at least one gun.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2018/06/19/there-are-more-guns-than-people-in-the-united-states-according-to-a-new-study-of-global-firearm-ownership/

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

You might not like the NRA or what they stand for but it's a bit silly to call them terrorists.

They defend anything to do with guns.

They attacked a bunch of children from Parkland who wanted to make the world a safer place for themselves.

They fund politicians to keep up there agenda.

They refuse to accept America has a gun violence problem.

Any organisation that tries to stop America from becoming a safer place through gun violence are terrorists in their own right. They might not pull the trigger, but their backwards ways allow for others to do so, and when they do, they maintain it's nothing to do with guns.

Terrorists, and quite frankly an evil organisation.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,992 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

The 2nd post mentioned gun laws, that's understandable, but referencing Omar's comments was making it political in a much different way and you know it. If the photo had shown it was a Muslim, and someone did what you did, only the other way around, you would have been complaining about it. The double standards never end do they.
    Bunch of horse **** to be honest. Big difference between racist speculation and evidentiary facts. If it had been a Muslim then it’s a Muslim - though, ironically, I don’t know how you expected to infer their religious belief from the photo? I certainly don’t know the religious affiliation of the attacker based on two surveillance images now do I? What would the photo need to confirm it was a Muslim, in all fairness?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,992 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Did the sheriff just say 3000 people in walmart when the shooting happened? That's a big shop

Next week is tax free weekend there for back to school shopping.... thank fff he didn’t think about that, there’d have been way more out.

Another uncomfortable truth: in Texas, thousands of members of the public, the shooter is taken in alive - no Good Guy with a Gun.

Advertisement