Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mass shooting in el paso

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,158 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

I wouldn't think twice about it at all. Still an extremely safe country when compared to other parts of the world. That said a lot of American's seem to have an increasing problem with mental health but that's never a headline grabber at times like this.

Everywhere is experiencing an increase in mental health. It's probably largely because of public understanding and likelihood of diagnosis. In the past this I I nd of thumb would most likely be called "evil" and left at that. Now we have more interest in actually finding out why people act the way they do.

My work brought me to the employment office (jobcentre) in the UK and they were talking about a mental health explosion. Both legitimate and spurious (but how can they tell the difference?).

We look down on African countries that deny their AIDS problem. Well we have had a mental health problem for years in the West and we didn't deal with it very well. Now we're still faced with a mental health problem and it's up to us to choose to invest in dealing with it or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

America is the world's number 1 holiday destination. That's not changing any time soon.

I’d imagine that’s incorrect. I’d say a european destination is number one in Spain or France.

Edit: should have looked past your response to my post. Looks like I was right.

Probably won’t stop me going to the States next year but still should actually be a warning at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,347 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

8-10 wrote: »
    I don't believe this is simply a mental health issue. It might be a contributing factor but this is a country with domestic terrorism and increasing radicalisation. These arent just people going crazy who have a gun. This is the same as suicide bombings in the middle east. Another place I'd think twice if I was visiting.

Yes every country has mental health issues. Here in Ireland the HSE are closing facilities and people with mental issues are walking the streets even in small towns. Difference in Ireland is our tv and radio shows aren't a form of radicalisation, our leaders aren't identifying enemies and using them as a unifying cause and we don't have easy access to firearms on every street corner.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Brian? wrote: »
    I stand corrected. My local Walmart when I lived in Az was a gun free zone.

This means a lot of armed “good guys” ran away.

Do they check for weapons at the entrance?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

YFlyer wrote: »

I doubt they'd be set up for the level of frisking and gun storage required. Be like a coat check at the Epson derby.

• Advertisement

I doubt they'd be set up for the level of frisking and gun storage required. Be like a coat check at the Epson derby.

Be difficult to claim gun free zone.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Hey guys I have to add that there is a well established link between gun ownership and mass shootings. Gun owners in America either know this and are lying to themselves or are ignorant of the research.

The research is conclusive. Mass shootings are more prevalent where gun laws are weaker.

A bit dramatic but this fact needs to be embedded in the head of everyone who doesn't think guns are part of the problem. Here's an article linking to the study.
    Study: where gun laws are weaker, there are more mass shootings
    The study lines up with other research linking weaker laws and higher levels of gun ownership to more gun deaths.

And here's the actual study with the key findings presented below:
    Objective
    To determine whether restrictiveness-permissiveness of state gun laws or gun ownership are associated with mass shootings in the US.

Results
    Fully adjusted regression analyses showed that a 10 unit increase in state gun law permissiveness was associated with a significant 11.5% (95% confidence interval 4.2% to 19.3%, P=0.002) higher rate of mass shootings. A 10% increase in state gun ownership was associated with a significant 35.1% (12.7% to 62.7%, P=0.001) higher rate of mass shootings. Partially adjusted regression analyses produced similar results, as did analyses restricted to domestic and non-domestic mass shootings.

Conclusions
    States with more permissive gun laws and greater gun ownership had higher rates of mass shootings, and a growing divide appears to be emerging between restrictive and permissive states.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

People are going to have to start opening their posts by stating which shooting their post is about.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,077 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

No chance of that. But it’s illegal to concealed carry on any premises that puts up the “no concealed carry” sign and all bars.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

kowloon wrote: »
    People are going to have to start opening their posts by stating which shooting their post is about.

That's a great idea Kowloon. I know you're joking but at this stage it is a joke.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,734 ✭✭✭It wasnt me123

nc6000 wrote: »
    Good point but not sure how much of an impact an amnesty will have. At this stage it's gone too far when American civilians already own an estimated 393 million guns. I'm assuming that the amount of ammunition already sold to go with these guns is many many multiples of this.

Even if all sales were banned tomorrow how can they even start to get that quantity of weapons back?

You have to start somewhere -
    plan to close the gun shops - but in the meantime, increase the difficulty in buying them nationwide - so not walmart or lidl or any other supermarket, proper ID etc
    12 months later start an amnesty - get in the AK47 types first and work your way down.

The cost of the guns would be offset by the cost of mass shootings on tourism, commercial sales, hospital admittances etc

IMO saying its too hard and where do we start is not a good enough reason not to do it.

Brian? wrote: »
    No chance of that. But it’s illegal to concealed carry on any premises that puts up the “no concealed carry” sign and all bars.

I wonder if somebody with a concealed weapons fired back would they be charged?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭RandomName2

There's been another mass shooting in Dayton Ohio. At least 9 people dead.

Well if they're participating in conceal and carry themselves they're likely making the problem worse anyway. Another study from the same journal that determined that ice is cold
    Scientists Showed How More Guns Led To More Violent Crime
    A Supreme Court case may soon create a constitutional right to freely carry a gun everywhere, but that would be a dangerous mistake to make, suggests a new study of violent crimes.

Right-to-carry handgun laws trigger a 13% to 15% increase in violent crime a decade after the typical state adopts them, suggests a new statistical analysis of 33 US states.

The Journal of Empirical Legal Studies report released Monday is the latest in a thorny academic fight over how letting people more freely carry around guns affects those crimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,158 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Fox news not suggesting the Ohio one is a terrorist incident. So it's probably a white right wing terrorist.

I wonder how Trump will deal with this since it's right wing terrorism. He'll have to say it was bad but without denying his base is justified in being angry. I wonder if the real blame lies with the left. Tends to be the way these things go.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,077 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

I doubt it. They’d be shot by the first cops arriving on the scene.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 13,646 ✭✭✭✭briany

Of all the mass shootings I've heard about in America, I don't think I've ever heard of two in a single day.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Fox news not suggesting the Ohio one is a terrorist incident. So it's probably a white right wing terrorist.

I wonder how Trump will deal with this since it's right wing terrorism. He'll have to say it was bad but without denying his base is justified in being angry. I wonder if the real blame lies with the left. Tends to be the way these things go.

We've already seen in the Trump thread that there's a focus on the Dems for winding up the killer.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭Harika

https://www.bellingcat.com/news/americas/2019/08/04/the-el-paso-shooting-and-the-gamification-of-terror/

Bellingcat with some interesting info as the shooter went to the internet before

• Closed Accounts Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Harvey Weinstein

The two shooters look eerily similar

1564913061510.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭MrFresh

batgoat wrote: »
    This shooter was another subscriber to the great replacement conspiracy, same as the Christchurch perpetrator. A conspiracy that's pushed by the far right on a constant basis, even on this site unfortunately.

And also pushed by Boards posters. The white genocide of Europe has been brought up frequent enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,614 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

The idiot in chief sends his *shock horror* "thoughts and prayers".

The script writes itself.

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1157868519964499968

• Registered Users Posts: 2,385 ✭✭✭lainey_d_123

Gotta laugh at the idea of a white nationalist expressing hate against Hispanics in a city called El Paso. Who is the invader?

It's insane how many white Americans see themselves as the 'default' American. They truly believe they are 'real' Americans and all the brown people are immigrants. They think English is the national language despite the US not having any official language and significant parts of the US having been taken fairly recently from Mexico. Doesn't seem to occur to them that places named Los Angeles and San Diego and El Paso weren't founded by Anglos. The ignorance and arrogance is really something to behold.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,385 ✭✭✭lainey_d_123

The two shooters look eerily similar

1564913061510.jpg

Pathetic losers who fail at life and blame all their problems on brown people/women/liberals?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭p1akuw47h5r3it

The idiot in chief sends his *shock horror* "thoughts and prayers".

The script rights itself.

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1157868519964499968

And what else is he going to do in the immediate aftermath? He's just done what any politician would do.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,330 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

DanDan6592 wrote: »
    And what else is he going to do in the immediate aftermath? He's just done what any politician would do.

15 minutes later he was promoting an MMA fighter, of course one that fawns on Trump. https://popculture.com/trending/2019/08/03/president-trump-blasted-tweet-promoting-mma-fighter-following-el-paso-shooting-walmart/

Other politicians adapt a somber attitude. Trump's too stupid for such.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,941 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Nothing complex about him.

Racist saddo who spent his pathetic life online ranting and raving about foreign people, blaming his inadequacies on others.

Sounds all too familiar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭p1akuw47h5r3it

Igotadose wrote: »
    15 minutes later he was promoting an MMA fighter, of course one that fawns on Trump. https://popculture.com/trending/2019/08/03/president-trump-blasted-tweet-promoting-mma-fighter-following-el-paso-shooting-walmart/

Other politicians adapt a somber attitude. Trump's too stupid for such.

But the poster referenced his tweet in isolation offering condolences as if there was something inadequate about it. Never mentioned his tweets after.

I'm no Trump fan but the whole of American politics is poisonous and such senseless sniping is oh so prevalent over there and here when American politics is being discussed. It's very unhelpful. The (more mainstream) left and the right are as bad as eachother over there.

These tragedys will be used by the left to paint a certain demographic a certain way, the same as when an immigrant or Muslim does something terrible the right does likewise. Both "sides" ultimately use these things for the own ends, and whilst talking about bringing America engage in activities that does the opposite.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,351 ✭✭✭✭8-10

They display penal code 30.06 (concealed) and/or 30.07 (open) carry signs at the entrance and defying these is the same as a trespassing felony.

• Advertisement
Advertisement