Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Everything you always wanted to know about electric vehicle (but were afraid to ask)

Options
1212223242527»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭D_D

The 57kWh battery Model 3 is only 430km WLTP range, the larger 82kWh Model 3 battery is 540km WLTP range... And Teslas do everything to keep their range as best as they can be, so I'm not believing BYD here, seems way too good to be true

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭Bovakinn

It's currently listed on their website as 513km WLTP for the standard range (estimated 554km with the 18-inch wheels) with the long range coming in at 629km (678km with 18s). If memory serves last year's model was 490, but an estimated WLTP of 512 with the 18-inch wheels.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭innrain

That is EPA not WLTP . A rough estimate WLTP=1.2*EPA Tesla cars display the range in EPA, but in Europe they have to use WLTP when advertising

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭D_D

Regardless of what system is used to advertise the car's range, it is insane to advertise that a car with a 57kWh battery will give 510km of range... Folks buy it thinking this is possible when it isn't in any reality.

That would be an efficiency of 11.2kWh/100km 😐

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭innrain

I think that is a WLTP issue

linky Does one believe 1.6 l/100km? Would that not mean a 50l tank results in 3k range?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,404 ✭✭✭eagerv

Which is achievable on rural roads in warmer weather. But I agree, average will never be that good

• Registered Users Posts: 844 ✭✭✭wingnut32

Thinking about the Renault Megane 60kWh. Is it a good buy?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

Yep, I think they're decent. Price drops recently brought them down to 35k or so didn't they?

Yeah around that for the techno. Its either this or the scenic but I dont think we will see the scenic until next year according to the Renault dealer in Tallaght.

Took a test drive today and I am really impressed with it. Nippy little thing too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,610 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Just want to make sure my maths is right here. Current car gets 100km for 7.2 litres. My commute is 350km per week so it needs 25.2 litres which currently costs just under €43 weekly or annually x 50 weeks is €2,142

2015 Renault Zoe is listed at 7.2kms per kwh. So to do 350km Id need 49kwh per week. At 15 cent night rate that would work out at €7.50 per week or annually 50 weeks would be €375 which is a saving of €1,767 a year over petrol. This seems too good to be true, is my maths right here or am I missing something? I could get a 2015 Zoe up north for around €5k, three years ownership of it would save me €5,301 of petrol at current prices of €1.70 a llter. So the car would effectively pay for itself in fuel savings and at the end you still have a car that can be sold for maybe €2-3k. Are my calculations correct?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭Redfox25

Depending on a few things

Will the zoe do a return trip to and from work every day on a single charge?

Even in winter?

Can you install an ev charger at home?

Have you factored in cost of charger?

If yes, then happy motoring.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,527 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

There's a thread on the Zoe here

A overview here

And

I think you can make it work. But go in with your eyes open . There are pros and cons.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭crl84

7.2kms per KwH is under the (very favourable) WLTP figures.

EVDatabase gives a "real world" figure that works out around 6.1kms per KwH https://ev-database.org/car/1128/Renault-Zoe-R110

So a bit longer, but still within a few years, yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,070 ✭✭✭✭KCross

I could get a 2015 Zoe up north for around €5k

Check that there isnt a battery lease on it.

Check that you wont have VAT or Customs duty to pay.

My commute is 350km per week

Is that 70km x 5 or some other pattern?

Is it 70km's with a bunch of motorway involved? You might be cutting it tight with an old Zoe in some conditions (winter, headwind, rain).

• Registered Users Posts: 19,610 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

yeah it is 5 x 70km commutes. One way is made up of 3km rural road then on to a national primary route where up to 100kph is possible for about 22km then onto dual carriageway also 100kph limit for 8km then 3km suburban with speed bumps, roundabouts, etc.

As far as I know there is no VRT on an EV that is imported, at least Revenues VRT calculator shows that. And then for the VAT there is an arrangement where cars registered in Northern Ireland before a specific Brexit date (I think 2020) can be imported to the south VAT free.

I'll ring a dealer and check out if there is a battery lease on them. If not being able to drive a car that will literally pay for itself in petrol savings over three years is very attractive.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,009 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

i saw a few listings on used cars ni for the old Zoe's specifically mentioned "no battery lease", so seems like there is a few of them.

Recently brought an Ev in from the North and didn't have to pay vrt or vat. As far as I know you need to basically prove the car was in northern Ireland prior to 1st of Jan 2021. (Or was only registered in NI). So make sure you can prove that.

I think the range might be a bit close for comfort for your plan though

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭jtkpenguin

Total newbie here - I’ve just bought a new 2024 Hyundai Kona Platinum, 65kw, I work abroad a lot so my wife will be driving it.   She does a lot of local journeys with occasional trips to Wexford; Waterford; Cork; Sligo

I’ve had a Ohme charger fitted at my house.  

Electric Ireland is our provider & we’re on their standard ‘Rewards Discount’ package on a rolling contract.

Please excuse me if these questions have been asked before: 

What’s a good home Electric package to sign up for? Or where can we work this out for ourselves?

Is there one specific payment card to sign up for or can my wife just swipe her debit card?      

I’ve been told to start charging the car at 20% & finish at 80% unless wife is doing a long journey – correct?

Thanks for your help

On the charging away from home, sign her up for ionity, ecars and eastgo. All free accounts. That should cover her while on trips. Download the apps for each too. Along with a abetterrouteplanner.com which she can play with to get used to the idea of route planning, sounds complicated but it's easy enough. Applegreen and maxol app could be handy too. Get plugshare too.

I have tons of apps but do 95% of charging at home.

Debit/credit card can be used on a few machines but not all.

Foe electric rates, use switcher.ie on bonkers to have a look. It's different for everyone depending on usage.

Congrats on new car.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭jtkpenguin

Thanks a million, I appreciate the advice.

What about charging at 20% & stopping at 80%?

• Advertisement

Car likely won't charge the 12v battery below 20% so good habit to plug it in there.

As for 80, car manufacturers recommend that as they don't want to replace batteries under warranty if they can help it. Just don't leave the car at 100% and sitting around and it will be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭MICKEYG

Hi all, looking for some advice.

Recently go am Etron and live the car but I can't get my head around charging. No matter what I do it starts charging immediately when I plug it in.

I have a night time rate from 2am-6am and only want the car to charge at that time and that time only.

I have a Zappi and I set the time range there. I set the time on the car to 2am to 6am and set an end time of 5.55am but nothing works.

I am obviously an idiot but it is wrecking my head. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

Isn't there a thing in the Etron where you program it to do certain things when it's it's in a certain location, i.e. home or work or whatever, based on GPS settings

I don't use it as I charge immediately when plugged in myself but I remember seeing something about setting up locations and charging routines when messing around in menus when I got it.

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭MICKEYG

Yep, I have that set up and I make sure the timer is on before I turn off the ignition.

I turned off the Zappi setting (so using the Audi settings) and I have it plugged in now and it is not charging but I think I was there before and it will kick off when it needs to start charging to hit the desired 5.55am end time.

It's like the 2am-6am I set in the other part of the Audi interface is irrelevant.

I'll see in the morning.

Advertisement