Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Everything you always wanted to know about electric vehicle (but were afraid to ask)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭pron

If you have easy, regular access to charging at reasonable rates (or better, free) - go electric all the way :)

The e208 is a grand little yoke, and will easily cover the trips you mention ... you'll probably only want to charge every four or five days anyway ... after a while you get a feel for it, and the occasional fast-charge (at a price) won't break the bank or make much of a dent in the economic argument in favour of the electric version.

edit: Of course, you're asking on an EV section of the forum, so you're going to get EV-positive feedback .. but your scenario would (to me) seem close to ideal (only beaten by easy @home charging availability)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Sabre Man

The faster you drive, the more your consumption increases, especially when you do 120 on the motorway. You can reduce your consumption a good bit by slowing down even just a little.

But how much can you save by slowing down a lot?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭kanuseeme

I had a giggle at the queue at the petrol station, I wonder was it there the 2nd time you had to stop,

What was the other vehicle you passed driving slower than you?

There was no queue on the way back. Actually, it was the first time I have ever seen a queue there. Sorry but I can't remember the vehicle I passed.

Join us for a day of electric vehicle (EV) excitement at Tramore Valley Park in Cork! Discover the future of sustainable transportation and experience the latest in EV technology, all while enjoying a fun-filled day with your friends and family.

📷 Test Drives: Get behind the wheel of cutting-edge electric vehicles from various manufacturers, with thanks from Keary's Motor Group.

📷 Green Initiatives: Learn about sustainable driving from EV owners and how EVs play a crucial role in reducing carbon emissions.

📷 Information Sessions: Experts will be on hand to answer your questions about EVs, charging infrastructure, and government incentives.

Admission is free, and all are welcome to attend! Whether you're an EV enthusiast or just curious about electric vehicles, this event is a perfect opportunity to learn, have fun, and contribute to a greener, more sustainable future.

Don't miss Tramore Valley EV Day, brought to you by Cork City Council and Kearys Motor Group and the Irish EV Association. See you on November 11th!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Casati

Quick question - can you power an EV on a home charger at the same time as powering a heat pump? I have a 16 kVa ESB connection. My heat pump draws a max of 23 amps during start-up and 18 amps running. Also have an MHRV system running 24hr, and obviously during the night I would have all the usual stuff running most people do- fridge, one or two lights on, laptop and phones on charge.

Would like to take advantage of the low rate (i.e 4 hour) night rate. Is this feasible or will it trip out, or only charge the car at a trickle?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭allinthehead

No problem at all running those together. If let's say you turn a kettle on at the same time then the charge point will automatically reduce the rate of charge while the kettle is on and then it will increase it again when it's finished.

☀️ 10.75kwp.

⚡️5kw SunSynk, 5.95kwp SE, 3.2kwp SE, .8kwp NW, .8kwp SW. 15kwh SunSynk BYD Battery.⚡️

Won't be turning on a kettle in the middle of the night anyway but are you sure? How many Amps will a typical car draw charging do you know - how many can my ESB connection support?

Yes I'm sure, car will draw about 32 amps and your house can take approx 70 amps continuous. You might even have capacity for that late night cup of tea without reducing the charge rate.😀

☀️ 10.75kwp.

⚡️5kw SunSynk, 5.95kwp SE, 3.2kwp SE, .8kwp NW, .8kwp SW. 15kwh SunSynk BYD Battery.⚡️

• Registered Users Posts: 12,070 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Generally it will be fine. You have plenty to spare with the 16kVA connection. I charge two cars, dryer and heat pump all at the same time on a 16kVA connection. No trips yet!

Things like MHRV, fridge, lights etc are miniscule. They wont make any substantial difference.

A charge point will take 32A and your heat pump is 20A, add some background load and you are still well under 60A and you have upto 80A to play with.

The key thing would be to have a change point that has load sensing and if you did happen to turn on a few other devices like a dryer/kettle/etc that the charge point will reduce its load to compensate. What charge point do you have? Does it have load sensing?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭joe1303l

Good advice but the charger needs to have load balancing to ramp up and down like this. A basic charger may not be equipped with it but the more expensive ones like Zappi etc. come with it standard.

☀️ 10.75kwp.

Okay thanks - no ev yet and am just trying to do all the sums - inc importantly working out total electricity cost. Good to know I won't have issues as Ive made big savings using the heat pump at night and don't want to stop doing that

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Trek1

Hi, I'm very new to this - got my first EV 3 weeks ago. A 2019 Kona with 64kw battery. A Zappi charger was installed at the house 10 days ago and is set at "Fast" charge as I've no other power source bar the national grid. I have set the car to charge up to 90% at home on AC and to only charge over night during my night rate time slot. It's set to charge up to 80% if charging at a DC station.

On the last three home charging sessions the car has indicated that it needed a certain amount to top it up to 90% but the following morning the charger indicated that it gave the car quite a bit more. Example 1: Started charge at 57% which implied that the battery needed about 21kw to top out at 90% - the next morning the Zappi data told me it gave it 27.5kw and the car showed 90% as planned. Example 2: Started charge at 79% = 7Kw needed; the charger gave it 9.6Kw. So many questions in my head over this!!

Am I looking at this too simply?... Is this normal or should I be worried that something is wrong?... Where is the "extra" energy going?... Which amount of energy am I paying for - should I believe the car or the charger?... Any thoughts would be really welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,641 ✭✭✭✭josip

Up to 10% energy losses would be normal for home charging but you seem to be getting 20%-30% which would be too high.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭loopymum

I've only got 12kva connection & we manage fine. I also have a 3kw immersion & granny charge a leaf every night too as well as a HP. Run the washing machine,dryer & dw too. The dryer wouldn't usually go on till the morning. we do have 9hrs of nightrate though.

The important thing is a load sensing Charge Point like the zappi & setting it up correctly.

A quick look at the Nissan Ariya

• Registered Users Posts: 4,544 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

A quick look is all you'll get too, absolute mirage of a car so far in Ireland.

Let's take a quick look at the Volvo XC40 and hear what one owner has to say

In this video we take a quick look at the main features and navigation system of the sporty BMW i4.

• Advertisement

Let's take a quick look at how Apple CarPlay works in the Nissan Ariya. 

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭_ptashek_

Is there a boards thread or some site or other source that lists all the different providers that one can use with public chargers in Ireland? The more I read, the more confusing it gets. Is there like one app / subscription to rule them all? (boards search function is terrible at finding stuff, so apologies if this was asked a bajillion times already).

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭CivilEx

Start with the Plugshare and that will help with forward planning.

Generally if you have ESB eCars and EasyGo RFID / app you'll get around ok for DC fast charging. Also consider the Tesla, Ionity and Weev apps. You can use contactless at Applegreen, Circle K, Maxol and BP Pulse(NI). Some find the Freshmile RFID card cost effective for the fastest 100kW+ chargers as long as your EV can DC charge that fast.

These are all shown within the Plugshare app.

Once you start getting into the slower AC charging it becomes next level wild west. You'll then potentially also need Plugsurfing, Chargepoint, ShellRecharge, ePowerEV and Monta. I've also come across operators with only a few chargepoints in the country such as EVchargeonline, stopNtop, GoTo-U, EVbox, Virta (and there are more). Plugshare will provide some info.

Tesla have reasonable rates to Tesla chargers in their cars only but this doesn't give you access to other public charging via the car.

ChargeMyHyundai / Elli provide an RFID card for most public charging. Look carefully at these though as you might be paying way over the going "per kWh" rate for the "convenience".

Start with Plugshare, ESB eCars and EasyGo would be my suggestion for most people.

This is our first video from the amazing Nevo Electric Vehicle Show from 17 February 2024 and features a panel discussion with the title "My first impression when switching to electric", hosted by Cassie Stokes from Nevo.

Panelists are:

Brian Downling, Dublin EV Owners Club

Matthew Sealy, Chairperson of the Irish EV Association

Conor Buckley, We Are Human Collective

• Registered Users Posts: 19,610 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Anyone know if it is still the case that you can import an EV from Northern Ireland and that there is no VRT on EVs and also no VAT if it is registered before a certain year around when Brexit became official? If so what is that year?

Would be looking at a 2015/6 22kw Renault Zoe. If anyone here has one of that age would be good to hear the real life range on it, dealers just seem to publish the range when it was brand new.

Here's another video from the Nevo Electric Vehicle Show from 17 February 2024, featuring a panel discussion with the title "Living with an electric vehicle", hosted by Cassie Stokes from Nevo.

Panelists are:

Annette Lynch Conway, Vice Chair of the Irish EV Association

Ger Corbett, CEO Sandyford Business District

Conor Lanigan, Applegreen Electric

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Does anybody have any idea how much this BYD EV might sell for in Ireland?

"At $US15,000, BYD’s new Qin EV is already being touted as a “Corolla killer”, as the world’s second largest EV maker continues to disrupt the global auto market.

Launched earlier this week in China, the all-electric Qin Plus has five variants priced between 109,800 RMB to ($A23,300) to 139,800 RMB ($A29,700).

The Qin Plus comes with a 100 kW motor and the option of either a 48 kWh battery providing 420 km CLTC range or a 57.6 kW hour battery with 510 km range.

Mobility consultant James Carter wrote on LinkedIn the new offering is the $15,000 car that incumbent OEMs (car makers) hoped would never come."

USD 15,000 abroad would become what here, after margins and VAT?

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭D_D

There's no way a 57kWh battery will give 510km of range...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭Bovakinn

It's pretty much in line with the WLTP for the model 3 with a similar-sized battery. The car will never see it, but if the WLTP gives it that assessment, then that's what goes into the marketing material.

Advertisement