Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Everything you always wanted to know about electric vehicle (but were afraid to ask)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Sabre Man

How accurate is the predicted range of the 64 kWh Kia Soul? There is only one way to find out, so Inge goes on a day trip from Mallow to Dublin and back again. To make it more interesting they drove at the speed limit on the motorway on the way up but restricted their speed to 110 km/h on the motorway on the way back. This made quite a difference.

Inge also discusses the charging experience and associated costs, as well as how to calculate your real range based on your consumption.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭smax71

That's not my understanding and to be fair the Ioniq 28 is still holding its value well despite the many newer and longer range EVs on the market today. The majority of EV owners I know are pretty consistent in the view that the overall cost of ownership for EVs was very low in comparison to ICEs, the higher your mileage the greater the savings., particularly in the early days if you took advantage of free public charging or work charging. More recently this gap narrowed as manufacturers greatly jacked up the price of their EVs by launching larger high spec SUVs to max revenues in response to high demand and limited supply. It will be interesting to see how the Tesla price cuts and the arrival of cheaper Chinese models will impact EV prices of the legacy manufacturers. There is only so many manufacturers can survive in the high margin low volume sector in the longer term

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭September1

Year is 2023 now, 2011-2017 are now just a distant memory - we are talking about early adopters. Since then we came long way, as I mentioned earlier many cars not only stopped depreciating but have appreciated.

Fair enough, it was you that referenced the brutal depn during the 2011 to 2016 period. I'm not sure how long the early adopter period lasted for EVs but in reality EV sales have only really sold in large numbers in the last 3 years or so.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,565 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

The ioniq only came here in 2017 from memory so the poster is correct.

Early days had brutal depreciation for EV’s. We had 3 in work from 2012 and in 2016 I started buying leaf’s as they were at the bottom of their curve then. In 2016 I bought a 2014 tekna leaf for €7700! That car was kept for 3 years and sold for €11k here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,542 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Isn;t the general idea of EVs that they should last longer and thus feel "new" for longer so there wouldn't be much market for handing them down until at least 5 years, maybe even 10?

• Registered Users Posts: 64,974 ✭✭✭✭unkel

That depends. It seems the overwhelming majority of people buying new cars in this country do so on finance and change every 3 years. They did this with diesels that could develop major problems from about 3-4 years onwards like DMF, timing chains, injectors, clutches, EGR and all sorts of engine problems. So it made some sense to get out while the going was good and the cars were within warranty. But these same buyers are still changing cars after 3 years with maintenance free EVs that can be expected to go on without major out of warranty problems for a very long time

I guess for most people it's the finance terms that lead their decisions, not the other way around

A lot of people buy cars for the plate and the feel good factor associated with owning a new sweet smelling car ever 2 to 3 years. This sentiment will apply equally to ICEs as to EVs. A lad I know changes his cars every 2 years, most of them will still have original tyres on. In fact he loves to boast that he changes his cars rather than his tyres with the inference the latter is for the peasants😣

However I think technology has added an additional level of built in obsolescence to car ownership. Some people just can stand not having the latest gadgets and EVs are evolving at such a pace at present that a 2 year old car could be considered old hat by many. The amount of people flipping less than 12 month old M3s to hop into latest MY is an example of this. It seems unless you car has the latest driver aid or automation or if has has less than 300bhp and takes more than 6 second to get to 100kph (figures for eg only) a lot of people would consider it near suicidal to drive at this stage. I'm sure this will settle down again as the market matures somewhat

Oh I agree the leaf suffered significant depn but that wasnt surprising given its poor range and deplorable battery degradation. For me EVs only really got serious following Hyundai launching the Ioniq, followed by Kona. These were actually great cars that had decent range and solid batteries. In fairness to Nissan the launch of the L40 tried to bring the leaf into the modern EV age but it's still flawed compared to most other EVs on the market st this stage, mainly due to no active battery cooling and sticking with the defunct chademo charging protocol. As I said previously the very low running cost of EVs, supported by free public charging, mitigated the depn suffered by early cars. It's not like ICEs didnt experience depn tbf

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭September1

It was not only LEAF, I think Fluence was even worse and as I mentioned previously it has affected Ioniq 28kWh as well, but it was still a new car back then, so it resulted in dealers giving a great deals on new or nearly new cars.

• Advertisement

Not sure I agree with the Tesla analogy. I'd say the overwhelming majority of Model 3 owners buying Model Y do so because it is going to be a near zero depreciation car. Of a much more practical and popular form factor

And in Teslas, you get most of the latest driver aids / automation / gadgets via free over the air software upgrades. My own 6 year old Tesla feels more up to date than 90% of brand new 2023 cars

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,565 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

7 year old leaf with 86% SOH wouldn’t be deplorable IMO.

Not bad at all but some of the earlier, pre 2014 in particular, had a reputation for sufferring from very significant degradation. In any case even at 100% SOH they only had a realistic range of about 120 to 150kms max and less if you tried to go at 120kms when they almost had a cardiac arrest. Fine if you're paying €10 k for a runaround but compared very poorly to the newer Ioniq or Kona. The L30s very very poor in general also. Not unusual to see them at mid 70%s soh even after the software update which I think was a clever ruse by Nissan to mask the known degradation problem and stave off warranty claims

Probably driven also by the view that the M3s could at worst be flipped at no depn and possibly sold on at a profit. Unlike was previously the experience with cars, Teslas almost became an investment opportunity, that is until Tesla took the wind out of the sails by cutting prices of new cars

The Fluence was a Leaf with a bigger backside, commonly with leased batteries and no fast charging so no wonder it wasnt that popular either new or used

Should have added a couple of 🤣 after that particularly unkind comment🤣🤣

Yes the lack of fast charging didn't help. Some pioneers got a Leaf as their only or main family car and you simply couldn't do that with the Fluence. Also the hefty battery lease took most of the fuel savings gains away. Back in 2011 / 2012 it was pretty much torture to own any EV unless you had one as a second car. Then they were fine. Tesla changed all that with long distance EVs and others (slowly) followed. Fast forward a decade and now the older Leaf and Fluence are perfect second cars for many families, even with their battery degradation and short range. You mention only bad things about the Fluence but some good things are it is very big (3 adults or child seats fit in the back, extremely comfortable to be in and to drive it and of course, it's not horrendously ugly like all other EVs of that generation 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭MightyMunster

Tech wise there's very little difference between a 2022 3 vs a 2023 Y. It's more about size and space for people with kids, buggies etc...

One of the joys of a Tesla is the constant improvements on features and UI, these are common to all the cars so a 2019 3 feels very similar to a 2023 Y. As opposed to a legacy manufacturer that one year has a tape deck and the next has wireless android auto.

Indeed. I bought my first Tesla when it was over 5 years old. One thing I was a bit disappointed about is that it didn't have a way to disable traction control. The car was a performance model, and I'm a bit of a child sometimes. Well, that's my excuse anyway.

Until a week later, after an over the air software update, my old car all of a sudden did have an option to switch off traction control! 😮

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭bootser

Hi Rodney, Can I point you to my post here:https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2057599743/for-sale-wanted-cars-parts-etc post2167. My current commute is 65km each way on N roads. I can make it to and from work comfortably, usually charge at work for free then drive home and back and do the same again! Only changing to get into a slightly longer range 38Kwh model for my days off as whenever I'm at home its the run around aswell.

• Advertisement

In this video, Inge takes a very quick look at the Route Variants feature of a 2020 Kia Soul, which gives a surprising result.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,144 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Is there any website that tells you the battery size for all the current phevs on the market?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭kanuseeme

I use autotrader, choose plug in hybrid in fuel section, then make, model, year etc, then find the car, click specification, it shows battery size, usable amount and range. It used to give charging times,

About a year ago, Inge made a video about charge points that were supposed to be in Killarney National Park, which he couldn't find no matter how hard he tried. 

Inge visited the park again last weekend and is happy to report that at least one charge point is being installed.

Athlone Towncentre got new chargers recently, but they are no longer free to use. They are supplied by Danish company Monta and if you want to use them you need to scan a QR code or download the Monta app. €0.36 per kWh.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,702 ✭✭✭horse7

I know ev parking is free in Waterford when charging,but Wexford is hard to understand after reading into it. Parkopedia do the Wexford area with no contact number, anyone from Wexford got the low down please, Talbot hotel have chargers but I couldn't find out if you have to pay for parking also.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,112 ✭✭✭innrain

• Registered Users Posts: 3,702 ✭✭✭horse7

Waterford is free while charging

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭capefear

PEUGEOT 208 GT

Hi guys have had access to petrol PEUGEOT 208 GT for a couple of weeks when abroad recently and a nice city car. Herself has taking a liking to it and we are looking at a new car in 2024. Saw they have a electric commercial version and a passenger version. Any one have either.

We don’t do a lot of mileage probably 20-30 km a day city driving and then 150km every second or third weekend. Live in apartment but have access to a charge point at work.

we are looking into see which option is best to get as we can go either commercial route through work or passenger option.

sorry it’s all totally new to us and I’m working back through this thread so apologies if this has been asked earlier.

TIA

• Advertisement

In this video Inge tells you how to do a soft and a hard reset (reboot) on a Tesla.

Advertisement