Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Roughest town in Ireland 2019

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭NaDeise92

davidk1394 wrote: »
    It’s a grand town. The other town your going to travel through which is Portlaw is worse

Nothing wrong with Portlaw at all, Carrick is known for trouble makers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 809 ✭✭✭Blaizes

Just had a look at numbeo.com for European crime index by city, we’ve three in top twenty, Drogheda 2, Limerick 14, Dublin 15.

I don’t know how they come up with these figures though, it might just be based on the experiences of people rather than hard data. So don’t know how reliable that would actually be at all.

Just checked the figures are based on surveys of people who visit site.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,096 ✭✭✭chicorytip

Blaizes wrote:
    Just had a look at numbeo.com for European crime index by city, we’ve three in top twenty, Drogheda 2, Limerick 14, Dublin 15.

Blaizes wrote:
    I don’t know how they come up with these figures though, it might just be based on the experiences of people rather than hard data. So don’t know how reliable that would actually be at all.

I suppose it depends on what categories of crime are taken into account. The reason Drogheda ranks so highly must be because of incidents related to this drug gang feud that's going on up there at present.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

chicorytip wrote: »
    I suppose it depends on what categories of crime are taken into account. The reason Drogheda ranks so highly must be because of incidents related to this drug gang feud that's going on up there at present.

They also have to take into crime per head of population. It is a small town with a lot of questionable people moving about it not all necessarily locals. That is what is distorting the figure

• Closed Accounts Posts: 809 ✭✭✭Blaizes

They also have to take into crime per head of population. It is a small town with a lot of questionable people moving about it not all necessarily locals. That is what is distorting the figure

Yes those rankings can’t be right you’d imagine London should be up near or at the top considering how rough it’s become.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

If you're in Wicklow and fancy a brew, save yourself and don't stop in Rathnew. I drink in some of Dublins 'dodgiest pubs' according to a long running boards thread. I reckon I speak with some authority when I say Rathnew is probably the roughest little kip outside the occupied six.

Blaizes wrote: »
    Yes those rankings can’t be right you’d imagine London should be up near or at the top considering how rough it’s become.

I cant comment on London or Marseilles or I will get a slap from the MODs for not being Political Correctness. But the Truth is we all these cities are running a muck. You need lads like Giuliani and Thimony to come in and sort it out with Carte Blanche orders.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,524 ✭✭✭Hoboo

It's a small town? It's the biggest town in the country ffs.

Apart from the media spun 'fued', very little goes on.

Questionable people? As in the majority who are commuters and are highly skilled and educated.

Have you ever even been to Drogheda?

• Registered Users Posts: 17 comedown

New Ross, Tipperary and Kilkenny are the 3 roughest towns I ever had the misfortune to be in.
    Yeah New Rpss is fairly bad alright and that's only the daytime. I don't know about Kilkenny, I know its after getting a very bad name when scummers come down from Dublin/Carlow etc and cause trouble in the pubs for stag nights and 12 pubs etc. However, its an extremely popular city for tourists and the hotels, shops and pubs are always packed right out 12 months a year. Did you find KK bad on a stag night?

Nope. That particular poster is from Waterford and obsessively takes every given opportunity to put down Kilkenny on Boards, presumably because of some sort of GAA inferiority complex he won't let go of. That's the second time in this thread he's nominated KK, in case we missed his first post. Has posted similar embittered rubbish in other threads. Odd.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,046 ✭✭✭davidk1394

Mr_Muffin wrote: »
    Carrick-on-Suir, Co. Tipperary (although some inhabitants like to think half of the town is in Waterford for some reason).

Carrick isn’t rough anymore. It’s grand

• Advertisement

Hoboo wrote: »
    Questionable people? As in the majority who are commuters and are highly skilled and educated.

I didnt mean the legitimate citizens I mean the Dublin gangs bringing their crap there, but they are the ones drawing the attention. Yeah I have been to Dundalk.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Ekano

Castletown Co. Mayo looks rough in that documentary!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Ekano wrote: »
    Castletown Co. Mayo looks rough in that documentary!

Castletown is not a town in Mayo, it is a townland and one of the smallest in the county at that.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Ekano

Xenji wrote: »
    Castletown is not a town in Mayo, it is a townland and one of the smallest in the county at that.

There's lots of Hardy Bucks in that small townland so!

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭jim-mcdee

Very surprised nobody suggested Balbriggan. Seems the obvious and unparalleled winner.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭jim-mcdee

Very surprised nobody suggested Balbriggan. Seems the obvious and unparalleled winner.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

jim-mcdee wrote: »

Poppycock. I live in Balbriggan (albeit a swanky part) but I am, as they say round these parts 'a blow in'. I'm from Sean o Casey Ave in town, thats considered a ropey area to an outsider, justifiably so. Balbriggan doesn't even come close to how things run down there. Believe. I think your your reading too many boards threads about immigrants pal. Have you ever even been to Balbriggan? There's a reason nobody nominated Balbriggan.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭previous user

Drogheda has an air of menace to it, leaving aside the gang feuds.
    jaysus no, lived in Dublin for 30 odd years Drogheda is a quaint quiet town in comparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Sandz_066

LuasSimon wrote: »
    We did the poorest town and had our winner but where is the roughest town in Ireland in the view of boards members . Again we are not talking about the cities of Dublin etc .
    What town has the worst for violence , intimidation , drugs etc . So many towns are suffering with drugs , traveller feuds etc .
    I’ll start the ball rolling with Tralee which has a ever growing traveller community and some very dangerous east Europeans in the mix , usedbe a lovely place to visit for rose of Tralee but now that’s all changed .

When was the last time you were in Tralee and how long did you spend there ?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    Any town with a significant tinker population.

*Cough Limerick *Cough

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭RoosterCogburn

Ballyjamesduff and Cavan town, Cavan has a serious heroin and tablet problem, too many people with **** all to do except take drugs and find more money to buy more drugs

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Ballyjamesduff and Cavan town, Cavan has a serious heroin and tablet problem, too many people with **** all to do except take drugs and find more money to buy more drugs
    Cavan. Yep.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,297 ✭✭✭✭branie2

fryup wrote: »
    *Cough Limerick *Cough

Rathkeale

• Registered Users Posts: 3 SFB66

L1011 wrote: »
    Athy

I would disagree with Athy being named here. Sure, like anywhere there are some no so great elements. However for the majority I found that it was quiet enough in general and the people were friendly in the shops and pubs etc. There are some nice housing estates, Coneyboro in particular where I was renting a house until recently was very quiet and no issues there at all. In fact there is a good community spirit there and I met some really nice people.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭shamsteak

Can't believe Tullamore wasn't mentioned.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭Gervais08

shamsteak wrote: »
    Can't believe Tullamore wasn't mentioned.

The long Main Street is lovely - are there bits outside that are bad? I’ve only ever been there and the hospital.

Though I had a drink with Brian Cowan a decade ago - he was actually better craic that you’d think!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

I always thought he'd be good craic though

• Registered Users Posts: 8,976 ✭✭✭pgj2015

Sligo Town? some absolute kips of estates there and a lot of scumbags walking around, was always rough on a night out.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Mules

Parts of Patrickswell has got very bad. They've moved people out there from the Limerick estates which wasn't the best of ideas. Although Rathkeale is the worst by far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Car99

Mules wrote: »
    Parts of Patrickswell has got very bad. They've moved people out there from the Limerick estates which wasn't the best of ideas. Although Rathkeale is the worst by far.

There are quite a few villages within 20 miles of limerick that have had the same issues over the years since trouble was relocated to villages and one off houses in the country. How anyone thinks that's a good way to solve a problem I dont know.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement