Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Roughest town in Ireland 2019

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

davidk1394 wrote: »
    It’s a grand town. The other town your going to travel through which is Portlaw is worse

Portlaw never got the memo, they closed the Tannery in the 1980's.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,844 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Oh god, there goes my retirement plan of getting a little tiny bolthole somewhere out of the city now!

There needs to be another thread about great places in this country, and I am sure there are many, including those mentioned above, if you don't venture out late at night!

Suggestions welcome...

No need for another thread, there are loads of them already. When you read the "Dundalk, most underrated town in Ireland" thread you will want to move there immediately.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

LuasSimon wrote: »
    That could be any of a hundred towns in Ireland , what town has the highest percentage of travellers in it ... forget rathkeale as most of those travellers are abroad most of the year ... bunclody , enniscorthy must be high up that list

You hardly think a hundred towns have a large traveller presence.

Tuam, Longford, ballinasloe, tralee etc , are not typical

• Registered Users Posts: 12,473 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Can we have a thread ban for people who keep mentioning Tipperary Town, its getting tiresome.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Site Banned Posts: 136 ✭✭rainybillwill

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn II

No need for another thread, there are loads of them already. When you read the "Dundalk, most underrated town in Ireland" thread you will want to move there immediately.

Actually Dundalk is one of the few towns mentioned here that actually is rough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭Jimmy McGill

LuasSimon wrote: »
    bunclody , enniscorthy must be high up that list

Clonroche is high up there too

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Dublin is the country's crime capital with a well-above-average number of offences per capita. It has the highest rates for robberies, theft, drug and fraud offences.

Limerick has the highest crime levels for sex offences and criminal damage to property, while Waterford has the worst crime rate for assaults, weapons and explosives offences.

If you are a connoisseur of crime you might need to do a tour!

The liberties are tough.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Deadlift kid

I've lived in both Athy and Carlow Town. Always felt much safer on nights out in Athy than Carlow. Carlow has far more troublemakers out around the town at night time, granted it has a much bigger population.

Can vouch for this athy is a dump yes no doubt but Carlow is chaos ya could be killed in I was cut with a stanley knife in carlow yrs ago have a nice scar 12 stitches in the middle of the day for no reason mind

lots and lots of vermin in carlow I know another guy who got hit with a horseshoe on a rope swung at him hit him under the chin ( stitches job ) by member of our own ethnic population don't go near or sit near that liberty tree fountain in middle of town its full of scummers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,419 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

As for the arklow story It could be exaggerated but I’ve heard it maybe 4/5 times over the years from diff ppl so seems to have gone into folklore there

• Registered Users Posts: 14,123 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

The liberties are tough.

Its gentrifying thank fcuk.

• Registered Users Posts: 917 ✭✭✭Mr_Muffin

Carrick-on-Suir, Co. Tipperary (although some inhabitants like to think half of the town is in Waterford for some reason).

The others being...??

retalivity wrote: »

Woo Hoo retro! ;)

Ballymun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Stopitwillya

New Ross, Tipperary and Kilkenny are the 3 roughest towns I ever had the misfortune to be in.

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Beanntraigheach

There’s a story about arklow seemingly a stag party from England (Coventry or someplace) showed up there and proceeded to get drunk and insult all around them

The entire street took turns beating them out of the town from Alcos to shopkeepers to teachers to doctors and guards even local politicians everyone had a go !!
    They let them off with a batin'!? Nancy men.
    Folks down my way would have cooked 'em and eaten 'em!

retalivity wrote: »

I have been down there recently and no it is not.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,714 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

New Ross, Tipperary and Kilkenny are the 3 roughest towns I ever had the misfortune to be in.

Yeah New Rpss is fairly bad alright and that's only the daytime. I don't know about Kilkenny, I know its after getting a very bad name when scummers come down from Dublin/Carlow etc and cause trouble in the pubs for stag nights and 12 pubs etc. However, its an extremely popular city for tourists and the hotels, shops and pubs are always packed right out 12 months a year. Did you find KK bad on a stag night?

• Advertisement

Mr_Muffin wrote: »
    Carrick-on-Suir, Co. Tipperary (although some inhabitants like to think half of the town is in Waterford for some reason).

Nope. And some of the town is in Waterford.

There’s some remarkable group think in this thread.

The others being...??

Well nobody has mentioned drogheda for some reason. The statistics show Waterford is a rough spot.

Tralee and Killarney might have a problem with public disorder as Kerry tops the list for that stat.

Longford - which is part of the safest county in Ireland has been mentioned twice. Tipperary is the 6th safest county. Mentioned all the time.

Little or no mention of Cork which is 4th highest rate of criminality. Louth is 4th but only Dundalk gets a mention.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,384 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Well nobody has mentioned drogheda for some reason. The statistics show Waterford is a rough spot.

Drogheda is mentioned in the 5th post!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Tralee and Killarney might have a problem with public disorder as Kerry tops the list for that stat.

Longford - which is part of the safest county in Ireland has been mentioned twice. Tipperary is the 6th safest county. Mentioned all the time.

Little or no mention of Cork which is 4th highest rate of criminality. Louth is 4th but only Dundalk gets a mention.
    It was mentioned. Apart from recent gang banger shenigans and occasional well-known local miscreants up to no good, not much to say. I still think it's an accent thing and that is rough!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Provoville

• Registered Users Posts: 19,402 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Really don’t like Tralee- rough tense atmosphere in the town centre

fryup wrote: »
    Provoville

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭Ian OB

Mr_Muffin wrote: »

The Waterford sector (Carrick Beg) is a lovely spot. North of the river would be a different story though

Ian OB wrote: »
    The Waterford sector (Carrick Beg) is a lovely spot. North of the river would be a different story though

Ahhh Treacy Park and there opposite the swimming pool used to be tough spots.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭NaDeise92

Newbridge is awful rough town on a night out. Speaking to gardai it would definitely be the roughest in Kildare the last while.
    Athy is an horrible evil place also.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement