Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Roughest town in Ireland 2019

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

On the contrary, we're quite used to bitter culchies with chips on their shoulders whining about our city.

Fire away.

I thought the term “ culchies” referred to those not from Dublin city???
    If so anyone from Limerick City is a culchie.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Mr.Maroon

6541 wrote: »
    Castlebar is fine, nearly zero crime.

Castlebar is only ok - but there's worse towns around the country.

Ballinrobe is desperate.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,223 ✭✭✭Sam Quentin

A hard question to answer:: see if you look at, we'll say for instance/eg: Carlingford, without doubt it's beautiful,and probably the most scenic landscape with 360° breathtaking views in all of Ireland..... But if you were a drinker and frequented the bars on any given weekend night/late afternoon,.or if you were a concerned local,then you would think Carlingford was rough. So I suppose over-all it's not rough,.but if I was to visit on a summer Saturday night with all the stags and hens,then I would say it's rough....

• Registered Users Posts: 30,381 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I think they are lots of towns that have issues now that they weren't there in the past.
    I've seen it in several places. They can be a council estate built in the 70's/80's. Locals lived there and there was no real issues over the years.
    Now every Tom, Dick and Harry from cities seems to be landed in regional towns and they seem to carry their issues with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,482 ✭✭✭harr

Has Athy been mentioned ? Always was and always will be a kip no matter how hard they try to fight the bad image. Generations of same families causing trouble.
    Of course like any rough town it has its decent residents.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,472 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Bundoran as an edge to it at times

Its got better over the years, Sea Sessions Festival has helped its cred a bit, there is now a whole load of surfing cafes and shops and a nice wee scene going up there. Saying that my memories of the eighties sometimes there was that every second person was a serious alcoholic and some of the pubs can be real dives.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

I should have added, "in my experience". One week out of a year isn't reflective of the whole. As for the Fleadh - similar numbers thronged Ennis, and Sligo prior to that. And I attended both. We'll have to agree to disagree.
    Not my experience of it at all unless you're on the street at 3 am on a Saturday when two nightclubs disgorge drunken punters onto the same street. I reckon the "menace" is in the accent! A whole lot more in Drogheda for the Fleadh BTW, at least 50K more and they expect to beat that this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭jammiedodgers

Nope. Safest county in Ireland. The town is probably fairly safe given that reality.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/crime/crimebycounty/roscommon-and-longford/

Well I was basing it more on the fact there is armed Gardai there because of a traveller feud with a "spate of recent violence includes stabbings, arson attacks and hit-and-run"

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/armed-garda%C3%AD-deployed-in-longford-amid-feud-between-families-1.3931876

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Car99

Tipperary Town just something about that place just can't point my finger on.

Maybe the group of men drinking on the bench very frequently including today at 2pm outside the off licence on the main street makes it feel rough. Or the state of the public toilets with bits of foil wrapping all over the floor left behind by drug users. Tipp is a bit rough alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭chicorytip

fryup wrote:
    *the inner-city Limerick accent has to be the roughest in the country (if not the world) its like sandpaper on the ears

fryup wrote:
    "are ya goin to Ballynanty"

...not in comparison to the flat Galway accent. Actually, Galway City centre is the roughest kip in Ireland, day or night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,685 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

Jesus, Fk_it36. This sure looks like spam. Life is too short

• Registered Users Posts: 8,666 ✭✭✭corks finest

On the contrary, we're quite used to bitter culchies with chips on their shoulders whining about our city.

Not a knife/ hatchet in sight welcome to the new Limerick ( excuse me for sniggering)sorry bud couldn't help myself only windy you, every town /city in Ireland is gone to the dogs

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

Tallaght or Tralee

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭cantalach

fryup wrote: »
    *the inner-city Limerick accent has to be the roughest in the country (if not the world) its like sandpaper on the ears

"are ya goin to Ballynanty"

Seems to me that most inner city residents these days are young professional types and migrants from elsewhere in Ireland and overseas. Students make up a very large % of the city centre population too. So I've no idea which accent you're talking about. Hearing a particular accent in the city centre doesn't make it an inner city accent. You know there are buses and cars in Limerick right? None of the large council estates (where the Limerick accent is strongest) is in the inner city.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

^^^^^^^^^^

alright then..if you want to be specific...the broad Limerick City accent ..moyross, southhill, kennedy Park, garryowen, weston etc

rough as a badger's arse

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭supersaint3

And no one has mentioned monasterevin yet ?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Vita nova wrote: »
    It's a pejorative term for a rural dweller and a synonym for an unsophisticated country person. Anyone that thinks that describes everyone from rural Ireland or from outside Dublin is an idiot to say the least.

Limerick is in the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

And no one has mentioned monasterevin yet ?

where the women ride the men?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

Tipperary Town just something about that place just can't point my finger on.

A big red button that says 'do not press' comes to mind...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭1o059k7ewrqj3n

Tralee. Seen someone glassed in a pub. The woman behind the bar had a look that said she'd seen it a dozen times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,666 ✭✭✭corks finest

A big red button that says 'do not press' comes to mind...

Town full of Dougals ?

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Stacksey

The roughest and biggest kip of a town I've been in in my 37 years on earth is New Ross

• Registered Users Posts: 15,419 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Arklow from my own experience is quite rough

• Registered Users Posts: 15,419 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

There’s a story about arklow seemingly a stag party from England (Coventry or someplace) showed up there and proceeded to get drunk and insult all around them

The entire street took turns beating them out of the town from Alcos to shopkeepers to teachers to doctors and guards even local politicians everyone had a go !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

There’s a story about arklow seemingly a stag party from England (Coventry or someplace) showed up there and proceeded to get drunk and insult all around them

The entire street took turns beating them out of the town from Alcos to shopkeepers to teachers to doctors and guards everyone had a go !!

The town I went to school in had a story like this.

Its probably more likely the locals did f all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭cantalach

Your Face wrote: »
    The town I went to school in had a story like this.

Its probably more likely the locals did f all.

Well said. Same here. It's like the way every country with a coastline has now adopted the story of how a US aircraft carrier was bearing down on their lighthouse and ordering the lighthouse keepers to divert their course.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭jammiedodgers

The entire street took turns beating them out of the town from Alcos to shopkeepers to teachers to doctors and guards even local politicians everyone had a go !!

And then everyone clapped?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,714 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Carrick on Suir is some sh!thole, always has a really tense vibe as if anything could kick off at any time. I know a lot of towns are like that but Carrick on Suir for me is the worst!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,587 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Having spent some time in Detroit in the US, its hard to consider Irish towns rough by any broad definition of the word.

That being said, having to pull over while driving through Finglas West to let a speeding car and a Garda car in pursuit get passed me and then seeing some lad bring a horse through the front door of his house is an image I won't forget for a long time!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭Jimmy McGill

Gorey is starting to creep up the list for me. Nowadays there's junkies and all sorts all around the main street and surrounding areas from the crack of dawn.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement