Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Roughest town in Ireland 2019

Options

Comments

South Tipp not north Tipp is in the south east tourism boards regime (as a quick google confirms). Not nenagh then. Another quick google tells me that Tipp is 14th in most visited county. Mostly south Tipp I’d guess, what with two castles. People like castles.
    North Tipperary has the lake, but it's true that south Tipperary has more castles. Very few outsiders are aware of the sheer natural beauty of the lake, and how peaceful it is, and that's the way we like it.

Someone mentioned Mountrath earlier as being rough. I don't drive through Mountrath very often since the M7 bypass was finished, but I always found it a very nice town, handsome local architecture and friendly locals. Any town that reared Claire Byrne can't so bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭iebamm2580

People here must be soft asf. Not 1 part Tipperary I'd be nervous about walking through at any time. Don't need the oh your hard memes as replies either.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,068 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

iebamm2580 wrote: »
    People here must be soft asf. Not 1 part Tipperary I'd be nervous about walking through at any time. Don't need the oh your hard memes as replies either.

Ya tell that to people who get randomly attacked there

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭iebamm2580

Ah here you can get attacked anywhere, you can't label a county or even town rough by the odd assault.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn II

As opposed to the randomly attacked people everywhere else.

Literally the 6th safest county in Ireland.

Cork is 3rd unsafest. I don’t go out much in Tipp as I am visiting very old grandparents but the last time I did go out (in Clonmel) on a Saturday night a year ago it was best described as utterly dead rather than dangerous.

As I said this thread is subjective but the facts aren’t.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

Nope. Safest county in Ireland. The town is probably fairly safe given that reality.

Are unsafe and rough not two different things?

rossie1977 wrote: »
    Are they? I have been out in pretty much every major town in Mayo late at night and never noticed any real trouble.

Bringing it back to Athlone during my years living there I saw a fight pretty much every night I was out and I would warn friends who didn't live there never to react if someone said something to them on street at night.

Westmeath is up there in the criminal stats alright.

As for mayo the only time I was in Balina (good night out) it was totally calm.

Bundoran as an edge to it at times

Are unsafe and rough not two different things?

These are my facts and if you don’t like them you can have your opinions.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭nthclare

My version of a rough town is a place that's run down, dirty and lacks character.

You'll get rapscallions everywhere, from the top of the elites to the lowest strung of society...

Roughness doesn't discriminate, a head butt or kick in the head while you're down from a fit angry Jock or a high heel in the noggin from strapping fit leggy lady with blue blood and Eton education will hurt a lot more than from some skanger full of booze or a slag from the terraced housing estate...

Or a fong up the hole from a farmer who eats well....

Take your pick, I'd have a far better chance coming out of a brawl on the street than someone from the country who's strong and healthy.

Haven't had to defend myself in a long time, but the street brawler in the urban area's will come at you with a haymaker, you'll see it coming.

More than likely the fitter nutter will clatter ya :)

But in an urban scenario Duck the haymaker or move aside, swift self defense clatter to their glass jaw if needs be lights out walk away....

• Advertisement

These are my facts and if you don’t like them you can have your opinions.

Sorry Donald

nthclare wrote:
    You'll get rapscallions everywhere, from the top of the elites to the lowest strung of society...

Kudos on the Rapscallion revival

Sorry Donald

Let me rephrase. These are the facts. Feel free to continue to have your opinions though.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/crime/crimebycounty

Let me rephrase. These are the facts. Feel free to continue to have your opinions though.

Much obliged Herr Peppercorn

Cork is 3rd unsafest. I don’t go out much in Tipp as I am visiting very old grandparents but the last time I did go out (in Clonmel) on a Saturday night a year ago it was best described as utterly dead rather than dangerous.
    Your grandparents were from Clonmel? So were mine. Do you wonder, back in the 1940s or whatever, did they just stand outside bars or on either side of the river, and talk with strangers about pointless, interesting things iike the roughest town in Ireland or toilet etiquette and the Bristol Scale?

And if not, are they the boring ones or are we?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭nthclare

Kudos on the Rapscallion revival

Prounced Wapscallion ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,664 ✭✭✭corks finest

Limerick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Atoms for Peace

LuasSimon wrote: »
    We did the poorest town and had our winner but where is the roughest town in Ireland in the view of boards members . Again we are not talking about the cities of Dublin etc .
    What town has the worst for violence , intimidation , drugs etc . So many towns are suffering with drugs , traveller feuds etc .
    I’ll start the ball rolling with Tralee which has a ever growing traveller community and some very dangerous east Europeans in the mix , usedbe a lovely place to visit for rose of Tralee but now that’s all changed .

Killarney is every bit as bad if not worse, to be fair to Tralee. The diddly-eye touristy image is well protected.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/armed-gardai-called-to-feud-in-killarney-936136.html

• Registered Users Posts: 34,068 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

As opposed to the randomly attacked people everywhere else.

Literally the 6th safest county in Ireland.

As I said this thread is subjective but the facts aren’t.
    Cork City is rough enough at night. Although funny enough infind the cuties much safer then towns. Seem far less fights etc

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Limerick

*the inner-city Limerick accent has to be the roughest in the country (if not the world) its like sandpaper on the ears

"are ya goin to Ballynanty"

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 136 ✭✭rainybillwill

Ballaghadereen.

Ballaghadereen is very rough also found Ballinrobe and Ballyhaunis
    a bit dodge

• Registered Users Posts: 12,685 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

I wasn't impressed with Ennis. Stayed there for a weekend once. Never saw so many drunk people lounging around drinking al fresco. There was trouble in the Supermacs that night. Three guys tried to get in when they were closing, and they smashed the window and ran off

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

Castlebar is gone rough.running riots in broad daylight lately.
    Shopkeepers are closing doors in mass protest and a big garda station a 2 minute walk away

Castlebar is gone rough.running riots in broad daylight lately. Shopkeepers are closing doors in mass protest and a big garda station a 2 minute walk away

There has been zero riots. Tabloid nonsense.

Your grandparents were from Clonmel? So were mine. Do you wonder, back in the 1940s or whatever, did they just stand outside bars or on either side of the river, and talk with strangers about pointless, interesting things iike the roughest town in Ireland or toilet etiquette and the Bristol Scale?

And if not, are they the boring ones or are we?

My grandparents are still around though ancient. I don’t want to be specific but they did a lot of civic stuff, including in one of their cases founding one or two organisations that are still around.

The granddad was a huge movie buff. People used to go to movies 2-3 times a week then. If you missed a movie that was it.

Then they did the standard old things. Walked fast and erratically in black and a white world. Rationing. Offal eating. Went to mass. Waved at departing ships.

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Treble double

Any garrison town where British soldiers or black n tans left their seed back in the day or any town that settled travellers all the same problems one as bad as the next

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Treble double

Any garrison town where British soldiers or black n tans left their seed back in the day or any town that settled travellers all the same problems one as bad as the next

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭Salt Lake Stallion

L1011 wrote: »
    Athy

Not surprised to see Athy being mentioned, it has a very bad reputation and high number of murders for it's small population throughout the years.

I've lived in both Athy and Carlow Town. Always felt much safer on nights out in Athy than Carlow. Carlow has far more troublemakers out around the town at night time, granted it has a much bigger population.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭6541

Castlebar is fine, nearly zero crime.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭Titzon Toast

Woke Hogan wrote: »
    Of course it did. Dublin people can't stand to have their town criticised.

Anyway. Limerick is fairly rough.

On the contrary, we're quite used to bitter culchies with chips on their shoulders whining about our city.

Fire away.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement