Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Roughest town in Ireland 2019

Options
  • 27-07-2019 8:13am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭

We did the poorest town and had our winner but where is the roughest town in Ireland in the view of boards members . Again we are not talking about the cities of Dublin etc .
    What town has the worst for violence , intimidation , drugs etc . So many towns are suffering with drugs , traveller feuds etc .
    I’ll start the ball rolling with Tralee which has a ever growing traveller community and some very dangerous east Europeans in the mix , usedbe a lovely place to visit for rose of Tralee but now that’s all changed .

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,544 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Obviously it is not the town you live in.....:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Rathkeale leaves a lot to be desired.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭jim-mcdee

Killiney can be very rough. Much tougher town than Donnybrook. You should have seen the look the polish barista gave me when I asked for another shot in my lait. I tell you guys place is going downhill.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭I see sheep

Drogheda or Dundalk

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Edenderry is crawling with human vermin.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭InTheShadows

Maybe if middle and upper class people who live in so called lovely and respected areas stopped buying the drugs off the drug dealers that terrorise decent hard working families in the "rough areas" things would be different. Most of them are happy enough to look down their noses and poke fun whilst they snort coke of the toilet cistern in some swanky south Dublin restaurant.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭Nicetrustedcup

Tipperary Town just something about that place just can't point my finger on.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,621 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

Dundalk has a pretty rough reputation: it seems to have more murders per 1000 population that most places.
    And the grafitti and street vandalism is fairly serious too.

I think it must be because it's so close to the border - maybe terrorists hide there??

PS but terrorists probably keep a low profile, so there's that. *ponders*

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Edenderry is crawling with human vermin.

Some day you'll better yourself and get out of that house share there Mr flash. Keep stretching for the stars.

It’s in Tipperary and it’s a fûcking kip??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 809 ✭✭✭Blaizes

Maybe if middle and upper class people who live in so called lovely and respected areas stopped buying the drugs off the drug dealers that terrorise decent hard working families in the "rough areas" things would be different. Most of them are happy enough to look down their noses and poke fun whilst they snort coke of the toilet cistern in some swanky south Dublin restaurant.

Good point, that would be a very uncomfortable truth for many though.

Drogheda has an air of menace to it, leaving aside the gang feuds.

Some day you'll better yourself and get out of that house share there Mr flash. Keep stretching for the stars.

What are you on about, John? Living in the commuter belt wouldn’t be for me.

By the way, it’s shooting for the stars.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Drogheda has an air of menace to it, leaving aside the gang feuds.
    Are the locals looking at you funny? They had 500K people at the Fleadh last year with not even a look out of place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Woke Hogan

The only place that poster will be shooting will be himself, in the foot.

As for the original question: Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Drogheda or Dundalk
    Dundalk did for a long time on account of its location. Not so sure it's true about either of these now. It must be that accent!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭nthclare

Tipperary has to be the only town in Ireland that I never stood in or stopped.

I don't know much about it, even as a kid while we were going from Clare to Kilkenny visiting relatives dad never stopped there for the usual ham sandwiches and tea....

I don't see why it has a reputation, do they feel left out is it a bastion of low self-esteem.

Actually you'd never hear adverts on the radio advertising tourism, hospitality and entertainment in Tipperary.

Let's make Tipperary great again.....

Put it on the map

nthclare wrote: »
    Actually you'd never hear adverts on the radio advertising tourism, hospitality and entertainment in Tipperary.

Let's make Tipperary great again.....

Put it on the map

It has been lumped in with Ireland's "Sunny South-East" for tourism purposes. I'll bring the sombrero next time I visit Nenagh.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭nthclare

It has been lumped in with Ireland's "Sunny South-East" for tourism purposes. I'll bring the sombrero next time I visit Nenagh.

Bring your ppe while walking through Tipperary, a good solid hard hat should suffice.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

Rathkeale leaves a lot to be desired.

Rathkeale is a tumbleweed ghost town for 90% of the year, dead and largely abandoned. I think they turn up at Christmas so Santa can find the childers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Took it with the light hearted humour it was typed out with, wouldn't be for me either Johnathan, I have two decent enough customers in Edenderry, and another not so far out of the town, (all great payers btw) but the town's a kip.

No it's actually "reach" for the stars. But I used "stretch" as a synonym.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn II

Is it rough though?

Tbh I think answering Tipp town (where I’ve never been) is a cliche in these threads these days.

Woke Hogan wrote: »
    The only place that poster will be shooting will be himself, in the foot.

As for the original question: Dublin.

The original question excluded Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,296 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Parts of Limerick city

Cities were excluded. But it is in fact Dublin is the worst if included.

https://www.her.ie/life/revealed-the-most-dangerous-and-the-safest-places-to-live-in-ireland-31409

Trying to find the original source. Btw unlike the other thread this thread has an actual objective answer.

is_that_so wrote: »
    Are the locals looking at you funny? They had 500K people at the Fleadh last year with not even a look out of place.

I should have added, "in my experience". One week out of a year isn't reflective of the whole. As for the Fleadh - similar numbers thronged Ennis, and Sligo prior to that. And I attended both. We'll have to agree to disagree.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,846 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

New Ross

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Anesthetize

Rothko wrote: »
    New Ross
    Why do you think?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Woke Hogan

The original question excluded Dublin.
    Of course it did. Dublin people can't stand to have their town criticised.

Anyway. Limerick is fairly rough.

• Advertisement

South Tipp not north Tipp is in the south east tourism boards regime (as a quick google confirms). Not nenagh then. Another quick google tells me that Tipp is 14th in most visited county. Mostly south Tipp I’d guess, what with two castles. People like castles.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement