Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Roughest town in Ireland 2019

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 809 ✭✭✭Blaizes

Vita nova wrote: »
    Personally, I wouldn't call someone living in Limerick city a country person, he/she is a city person. Anyway, irrespective of what your definition of the country is, not everyone living there is an "unsophisticated country person".

I think in Dublin everyone ( not from Dublin) is considered a country person or someone living down the country. When I worked there I heard the terms ‘culchie’ and ‘ from the sticks’ being applied to non Dublin people.

Wasn’t too bothered at the time and still not now, but it probably is a bit offensive( bearing in mind that some Dublin people may never have even been outside the capital ) Sad if true imo, considering we are such a small island.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,919 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Oh god, there goes my retirement plan of getting a little tiny bolthole somewhere out of the city now!

There needs to be another thread about great places in this country, and I am sure there are many, including those mentioned above, if you don't venture out late at night!

Suggestions welcome...

• Site Banned Posts: 136 ✭✭rainybillwill

Castlebar is gone rough.running riots in broad daylight lately.
    Shopkeepers are closing doors in mass protest and a big garda station a 2 minute walk away

Yes Castlebar is very rough

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭Abba987

Oh god, there goes my retirement plan of getting a little tiny bolthole somewhere out of the city now!

There needs to be another thread about great places in this country, and I am sure there are many, including those mentioned above, if you don't venture out late at night!

Suggestions welcome...

Just thinking the same. If I move out of Dublin ( we don't all love it or think it's safe) where am u going after reading this. Even gorey is rough now ??

• Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

Town full of Dougals ?

Which is an anagram of Douglas, which is beside mahon, which is home to some of 'corks finest' ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,559 ✭✭✭dubrov

Woke Hogan wrote:
    Of course it did. Dublin people can't stand to have their town criticised.

Do you go to Dublin regularly?

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Macdarack

Kilrush Co Clare is a fine town but the degerates there are pound for pound some of the most awful people I've seen. I feel sorry for any tourists who come off the ferry from kerry and pull up in kilrush for a walk,scobes hanging around with their heroin ridden faces, standing in their own pools of spit. I know someone in the post office there and the amount of money given out to the system leaching dolers is a fu€€ing disgrace. They should be sterilised. Inbreds.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,463 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Carrick on Suir is some sh!thole, always has a really tense vibe as if anything could kick off at any time. I know a lot of towns are like that but Carrick on Suir for me is the worst!

Do you mind not mentioning this place please, I have to travel through here on Wednesday on my way to All Together Now Festival, I don't want to make the journey any freakier.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

Day Lewin wrote: »
    Dundalk has a pretty rough reputation: it seems to have more murders per 1000 population that most places.
    And the grafitti and street vandalism is fairly serious too.

I think it must be because it's so close to the border - maybe terrorists hide there??

PS but terrorists probably keep a low profile, so there's that. *ponders*

As my Da used to say, Dundalk is so rough, even the alsatians walk around in groups of 3.

Been a while since I've been there, but Kells used to be rough as fcuk. The Cavan team bus was famously pelted with rocks going through the town on their way back from Croke Park

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Gorey is starting to creep up the list for me. Nowadays there's junkies and all sorts all around the main street and surrounding areas from the crack of dawn.

A load of them and other dregs of society have relocated from Dublin to parts of Courtown and Ardamine. Gorey itself isn't rough but the sight of these people hanging around gives a bad impression,they even had to install special lights at public buildings where junkies were shooting up, these lights make it impossible for them to find veins so they piss off somewhere else.
    What used to be nice places have turned into ghettos out around the Courtown area.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

6541 wrote: »
    Castlebar is fine, nearly zero crime.

Pull the other one, the town is unfortunately suffering from serious issues this year, hopefully it will be resolved in the near future as it is a very small minority.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057993858

• Registered Users Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Do you mind not mentioning this place please, I have to travel through here on Wednesday on my way to All Together Now Festival, I don't want to make the journey any freakier.

Its fine as long as you keep your doors locked and windows down as you drive through it. I definitely wouldn't advise getting out- some heads hanging around that little park in the centre..good luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭Jimmy McGill

Abba987 wrote: »
    Even gorey is rough now ??

You bet it is. Junkies that can barely keep there eyes open are found all over the town. Needles are regularly found in the local park and side streets around the town. Gangs of layabouts are often seen drinking cans on the main street and the Gardaí always drive right past and turn a blind eye.

Tipperary town is the kip that time forgot but in terms of drugs, horse & cart olympics and general danger I'd nominate Clonmel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

Longford. I worked in many towns and cities all over the country, none come close to this sh1thole

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn II

Carrick on Suir is some sh!thole, always has a really tense vibe as if anything could kick off at any time. I know a lot of towns are like that but Carrick on Suir for me is the worst!

Wrong.

Longford. I worked in many towns and cities all over the country, none come close to this sh1thole

Also wrong. In fact it’s the safest place in Ireland.

Tipperary town is the kip that time forgot but in terms of drugs, horse & cart olympics and general danger I'd nominate Clonmel.

Nope.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭Jimmy McGill

A load of them and other dregs of society have relocated from Dublin to parts of Courtown and Ardamine. Gorey itself isn't rough but the sight of these people hanging around gives a bad impression,they even had to install special lights at public buildings where junkies were shooting up, these lights make it impossible for them to find veins so they piss off somewhere else.
    What used to be nice places have turned into ghettos out around the Courtown area.

Even a girl was found in the toilets in Boylesports in Gorey recently overdosed on heroin. Open drug dealing is seen every day in broad daylight and the Garda always just drive right past and pretend it's not happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,105 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

Car99 wrote: »
    Tipperary Town just something about that place just can't point my finger on.

Maybe the group of men drinking on the bench very frequently including today at 2pm outside the off licence on the main street makes it feel rough. Or the state of the public toilets with bits of foil wrapping all over the floor left behind by drug users. Tipp is a bit rough alright.
    I don't think it's rough per sé.
    It has some of the worst socio-economic deprevation in Ireland and is a mental health black spot but you rarely hear much in the way of crime or disturbance there.
    It's quite sad because there are generations of business families there who work hard to get their shops open and the trade in the town but for some reason, the town and it's people got left behind.

To thine own self be true

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,291 ✭✭✭lbc2019

Tallaght

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

Rathkeale leaves a lot to be desired.

Rathkeale is low lying fruit. It is garunteed by it local population. We cant say it without being racist. So everywhere outside of there

Carrick on Suir is some sh!thole,

Yes it is but I have seen far worse ..... you need to see Dundalk or El Passo as the brits call it

Gorey is starting to creep up the list for me. Nowadays there's junkies and all sorts all around the main street and surrounding areas from the crack of dawn.

Can you find Andrew Maxwells sketch on Junkies?
    Its a full time job being a junkie. You have to be up at the crack of dawn doing the junkie shuffle (short step long step)on your way to find a fix. There is nothing busier than a junkie in the morning

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Any town with a significant tinker population.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 809 ✭✭✭Blaizes

Suggestions welcome...

Aran islands...

Suggestions welcome...

I am suggest offering Central African Republic an amount of money to take them, say €50 a month. Anyone who disagrees with me is going with them too so they wont be lonely. We will not be abandoning them as we will be giving them 2 40 foot crates of clothing from Pennys, A crate of Yahoo and 30KG of pure Heroin per month, CAR can clean up after them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,071 ✭✭✭davidk1394

It’s a grand town. The other town your going to travel through which is Portlaw is worse

• Registered Users Posts: 4,071 ✭✭✭davidk1394

A lot of towns in Ireland seem to be **** holes. If you ever want to see **** hole towns in a first world country go to Australia and visit the towns of Cowra and Esprence. Two absolute shîtholes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭LuasSimon

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    Any town with a significant tinker population.

That could be any of a hundred towns in Ireland , what town has the highest percentage of travellers in it ... forget rathkeale as most of those travellers are abroad most of the year ... bunclody , enniscorthy must be high up that list

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement