Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

US congresswoman states America should be "more fearful of white men"

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,263 ✭✭✭✭manual_man

I think you are grossly misusing the term maliciously slandered. Perhaps if you feel that way you might condemn her extremism. The fact that she failed to condemn ice? Her antisemitism?

I addressed the issue at hand. And I believe I did so with positivity, out of a determination to foster more positive relations in society as a whole.

In response, your first instinct was to insult me. To jump to illogical conclusions and assumptions. This is totally on you.

If you have a concern, ask about it. Try not to jump to conclusions and level accusations as a first port of call.

Now, if you genuinely want to know about my opinion on any given issue, go right ahead and ask. However, if done with a negative, accusatory tone, I will not respond. I’m interested in finding solutions and positive discourse.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

mad muffin wrote: »
    Oh I knew about her. But what would you know? I have family in new York and Florida. I travel over frequently enough. She is well known for her refusal to condemn Muslim terrorists and anti Semitic tropes, and hatred of Israel.

So how many times were you profiled as white terrorist in American airports since her statements?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

Why is it OK to hate Israelis?
    Yeah, I didn't say that.
    And I would argue if you hate everything about Israel you really hate jews.
    Nor did I say that.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

manual_man wrote: »
    I addressed the issue at hand. And I believe I did so with positivity, out of a determination to foster more positive relations in society as a whole.

In response, your first instinct was to insult me. To jump to illogical conclusions and assumptions. This is totally on you.

If you have a concern, ask about it. Try not to jump to conclusions and level accusations as a first port of call.

Now, if you genuinely want to know about my opinion on any given issue, go right ahead and ask. However, if done with a negative, accusatory tone, I will not respond. I’m interested in finding solutions and positive discourse.

I never insulted you. I said you were excusing her extremism.

Either you feel she is not extreme, or you acknowledge she is and excuse it.

Which is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

I respect her for that.

Also the fact that she apologized.

She opposed the measure to delegitimise BDS. Basically she voted against Israel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

notobtuse wrote: »
    Are you opposed to views regarding the US presented by people not living in Ireland?

This website targets me with advertising from US companies, so they're making money off me. Seems the only color (nationality) Boards cares about is, as we say in the US... "Green."
    You seem to be putting words in my mouth.

Yeah, I didn't say that.

Nor did I say that.

where do Israelis live Freud mars?

She opposed the measure to delegitimise BDS. Basically she voted against Israel.

I am aware. BDS is basically funding terrorism but it doesn't negate her other actions.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,307 ✭✭✭✭alastair

We fully understand the context she put it in. It doesn't make a difference to us we feel the same way about it.

I’m not sure you understand all that much. You’re all over the shop in this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,424 ✭✭✭notobtuse

You seem to be putting words in my mouth.
    It was a question I posed to the tone of your response to me.

You can ignorantly accuse me of "whataboutism," but what it really is involves identifying similar scenarios in order to see if it holds up when the shoe is on the other foot!

• Advertisement

I am aware. BDS is basically funding terrorism but it doesn't negate her other actions.

Honestly - this is such a car crash.

I'm sitting in my office in the Dublin docklands at the minute, about to get out and enjoy the sunny afternoon with a few scoops. As I said, I live 6 months in Dublin 6 months in L.A., I hold current practising certificates in law in California, Ireland and England & Wales and I work in a multi-national commercial industry which affords me a relatively broad view of the world (since you brought up your law and philosophy degree earlier, I figure full disclosure on my end).

Well if you work in la you should know what a ****hole California has become.

But since you are a liberal elite… I suppose you wouldn’t notice all the dilapidation around you.

alastair wrote: »
    I’m not sure you understand all that much. You’re all over the shop in this thread.

You don't actually talk about anything in this thread at all I am not sure why you are here. You aren't contributing.

Using undermining techniques in debate doesn't work for leftists by the way. Sorry there have been studies.

It doesn't work for women or leftists. Sadly.:(

You don't actually talk about anything in this thread at all I am not sure why you are here. You aren't contributing.

Using undermining techniques in debate doesn't work for leftists by the way. Sorry there have been studies.

It doesn't work for women or leftists. Sadly.:(

Stop saying idiotic stuff and I’ll stop pointing out when you do. Simples. Once again - Morto for you.

Honestly - this is such a car crash.

Paypal shut down BDS for this very reason.

Denmark has also suspended funding.

Several countries have passed anti BDS acts

Inc the US
    https://mondoweiss.net/2019/07/overwhelmingly-opposing-beginning/

A lot of people hate Israel, that doesn't mean they hate Jews.

And even more can’t separate Israel from the Jews. And others would love too…

• Registered Users Posts: 15,263 ✭✭✭✭manual_man

I never insulted you. I said you were excusing her extremism.

Either you feel she is not extreme, or you acknowledge she is and excuse it.

Which is it?

You don’t think accusing me of excusing her extremism - when there was ZERO reason to come to any such conclusion - is an insult?? I’ll say it one last time: I wasn’t excusing ANYTHING(or ANYONE) in my original post. In fact I sought to address the problem of her words in the larger context of a society where there is an increasing focus on what may divide instead of seeking to foster what can unite us. You want me to apologize for that?

Hell no.

See ya later.

Stop saying idiotic stuff and I’ll stop pointing out when you do. Simples. Once again - Morto for you.
    Only idiots call people idiots. Frequently insecure ones too.

manual_man wrote: »
    You don’t think accusing me of excusing her extremism - when there was ZERO reason to come to any such conclusion - is an insult?? I’ll say it one last time: I wasn’t excusing ANYTHING(or ANYONE) in my original post. In fact I sought to address the problem of her words in the larger context of a society where there is an increasing focus on what may divide instead of seeking to foster what can unite us. You want me to apologize for that?

Hell no.

See ya later.

Waffle.

Its also waffle to get away with excusing her extremism.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,336 ✭✭✭✭Penn

giphy.gif

• Advertisement

Yeaaaaah - selectively quoting without the context. Again - we can all see the full unedited video.

Yeah… your quote makes her comment even worse.

Not only did she skirt the question. She said we should be fearing and monitoring white men because they are the real killers because more white white men have killed in a majority white country. Which has absolutely nothing to do with the question.

By the way I don’t even know if her statement of white men kill more than any other in America is true.

Nice try though.

Well - I’m calling your idiotic posts, idiotic, for their idiocy. Hope that clarifies things.

Yeah… your quote makes her comment even worse.

Not only did she skirt the question. She said we should be fearing and monitoring white men because they are the real killers because more white white men have killed in a majority white country. Which has absolutely nothing to do with the question.

By the way I don’t even know if her statement of white men kill more than any other in America is true.

Nice try though.

She didn’t skirt the issue at all. Which was to do with a fear of terrorism, and where that fear was justified. She plainly laid open that if such a fear was a motivator, then they were focused on the wrong perpetrators. Which is a fair point. She never said white men kill more than any other in America. That would be another fevered imagination issue.

White men are the biggest ethnic group they are not the group to commit the largest number of homicides.
    I am not going to break down the arrest statistics obviously they are influenced by other factors such as poverty etc.

She never said white men kill more than any other in America.
    She said exactly that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,424 ✭✭✭notobtuse

Why do you post here?
    Why not?

You can ignorantly accuse me of "whataboutism," but what it really is involves identifying similar scenarios in order to see if it holds up when the shoe is on the other foot!

Well - I’m calling your idiotic posts, idiotic, for their idiocy. Hope that clarifies things.

Not really since you don't seem to be here for the politics or the debate. But bye. You are on ignore.

She said exactly that.

She didn’t. Feel free to go review once again.

• Advertisement

notobtuse wrote: »
    Why not?

It can't be as relevant to your surroundings as an American site.

Advertisement