Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

British version of Trump becomes PM

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭Stevieluvsye

Nah, you were just so vague as to be pointless.

Are you being serious?

How the fcuk am I supposed to read the future?

He’ll look for minor changes as he is aware of the position of our buddy’s in Europe. It will be small minor detail in some key issues and make it look like a win win for all.

He’ll have his cabinet tow the line as they’ll know their main priority after brexit is to get a majority after next general election which will be called very soon after brexit is delivered

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

And BJ enters No.10 and starts by rowing with Jeremy Hunt over his role in the new cabinet.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/boris-johnson-news-live-speech-cabinet-brexit-prime-minister-pmqs-theresa-may-a9018191.html

It gets better. Head of THE Leave UK campaign, Dominic Cummings is bein made an adviser to BJ. This is a guy that was found to be in contempt of parliament regarding "foreign influence" and manipulation of votes.
    Dominic Cummings is set to be appointed an adviser to Boris Johnson, despite being found in contempt of parliament over an inquiry into “foreign influence and voter manipulation” in the Brexit vote.

The new prime minister is expected to take the hugely controversial step of inviting the head of the Vote Leave campaign – and the brains behind the notorious “£350m-a-week for the NHS” claim – into No 10.

The move was immediately condemned by Sarah Wollaston, a former Conservative, now Independent, MP as “shameful”.

steddyeddy wrote: »
    It gets better. Head of THE Leave UK campaign, Dominic Cummings is bein made an adviser to BJ. This is a guy that was found to be in contempt of parliament regarding "foreign influence" and manipulation of votes.

FFS

Looking forward to seeing his cabinet so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭Duane Dibbley

May looks 10 years younger in PMQ

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

I would say it accelerates ageing by about 50%.

nintchdbpict000310656703.jpg?strip=all&w=960

tony_468x313.jpg

heres-how-much-being-prime-minister-ages-you.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,254 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Some great cartoons though:

methode%2Ftimes%2Fprod%2Fweb%2Fbin%2F9d397bd6-ad75-11e9-b657-11944f524f2a.jpg?crop=2711%2C1807%2C642%2C192&resize=758

cartoon-24-july-2019.jpg

I'd say Parliament will just take control and send him off for yet another extension.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,254 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

steddyeddy wrote: »

Fair play to him for following through. Hopefully the whole putrid mess collapses.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

Fair play to him for following through. Hopefully the whole putrid mess collapses.

He was getting the boot anyway

• Advertisement

Slightly off topic but there is something weirdly attractive about Jo Swinson. Looked rather dashing today

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

You see it many times. Barrack Obama aged a good bit during his 8 years as President. Some of it was natural aging, but the stress of the job undoubtedly adds to it. I’ve seen senior business leaders retire from their role and immediately gain 10 years back.

Whatever I think about May’s effectiveness, there’s no doubt that she’s carried a lot of stress over the last few years, and she’s better off out of it. It’s Boris’ cross to carry now.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭nthclare

dudara wrote: »
    You see it many times. Barrack Obama aged a good bit during his 8 years as President. Some of it was natural aging, but the stress of the job undoubtedly adds to it. I’ve seen senior business leaders retire from their role and immediately gain 10 years back.

Whatever I think about May’s effectiveness, there’s no doubt that she’s carried a lot of stress over the last few years, and she’s better off out of it. It’s Boris’ cross to carry now.

Borris is certainly in confusion at the crossroads, that's for sure.

dudara wrote: »

It's frankly amazing how she dealt with the stress of the job. I like to think Boris will experience some of the stress he brought on other people because of Brexit.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

I would say we are heading for a hard Brexit now, the funny thing is i would say Boris would really like a soft Brexit but with a few decent concessions to make him look good.

A hard brexit and its economic impact will burn the British people badly and i would say you will see companies ramping up and pulling out as the EU starts putting charges on them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

Great times, and a big upswing in prominence and respectability, for afficionados of making model busses out of old boxes by painting faces on them. Long very much a niche hobby, I think Boris will give it the boost in prestige it has long thought its due. Join a local club now and be part of this engrossing and relaxing passtime.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

Calhoun wrote: »
    I would say we are heading for a hard Brexit now, the funny thing is i would say Boris would really like a soft Brexit but with a few decent concessions to make him look good.

Given the guarantee that Boris gave of an October exit, it's hard to see anything but a no deal exit. He's going to stick to that date and the EU are going to look very weak if the decide to change their stance. I'm in little doubt that Boris would prefer to exit with a deal but I just don't think its possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Enter name here

A hard brexit and its economic impact will burn the British people badly and i would say you will see companies ramping up and pulling out as the EU starts putting charges on them.

The 5th largest economy in the world leaves the EU and you think the other countries of the EU are just going to say goodbye to that export market?
    All the scare mongering is just more of the leftist tripe being wheeled out across the globe to stop the rise of populist governments clawing back power from the looney left. The UK will have access to markets only the EU countries could dream of after brexit, and the collapse of the EU experiment will start after that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Twenty Grand

The UK will have access to markets only the EU countries could dream of after brexit, and the collapse of the EU experiment will start after that.

Where?
    When?
    How?

This is all news to us.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,202 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

The 5th largest economy in the world leaves the EU and you think the other countries of the EU are just going to say goodbye to that export market?
    All the scare mongering is just more of the leftist tripe being wheeled out across the globe to stop the rise of populist governments clawing back power from the looney left. The UK will have access to markets only the EU countries could dream of after brexit, and the collapse of the EU experiment will start after that.

I wonder why did Rees Mogg set up a new firm in Dublin for his business if Brexit is so great for the British economy?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40 fqollere

Companies would be making big changes before a hard brexit imo

Might even end up with a second referendum on the back of an impending hard brexit and
    public mood swing.

fqollere wrote: »
    Companies would be making big changes before a hard brexit imo

Might even end up with a second referendum on the back of an impending hard brexit and
    public mood swing.

Hard to make changes when you don't know what the f"ck is happening.
    There's about 250,000 jobs lost so far that are directly linked to Brexit conditions. Granted there's still full employment, but you'd wonder what's going to happen in a post Brexit Britain.

Hard to make changes when you don't know what the f"ck is happening.
    There's about 250,000 jobs lost so far that are directly linked to Brexit conditions. Granted there's still full employment, but you'd wonder what's going to happen in a post Brexit Britain.

Link please on the number of jobs lost attributed to brexit please

Link please on the number of jobs lost attributed to brexit please

There's a facebook page tabulating every job loss story. Up to 243,000 as of this week.
    https://www.facebook.com/BrexitWrecksIt/

I quite like the page. We only hear of the big players pulling out of the UK (Like Nissan today), never of the small businesses who are suffering just as badly.

IMPORTANT NOTES ON METHODOLOGY:
    ================================

Job losses are attributed to Brexit if they meet one or more of the following conditions:

1. The employer's business has been significantly affected by sterling's devaluation, either immediately through rises in the cost of imported inputs or later by inflation passed on by those who were so affected.

2. Government austerity cuts are attributed to Brexit since Britain voted to remain the EU, austerity would have been lifted instead of deepened.

3. Barring other obvious explanations businesses that were doing okay but experienced a significant slowdown after the Brexit vote are deemed to have been impacted by Brexit.

4. Businesses and other enterprises (e.g. EU regulatory authorities) that will be impacted by the imposition of trading or regulatory barriers (including the potential imposition of tariffs).

5. All jobs moved abroad are considered Brexit-related even if offshored outside the EU, since Brexit makes Britain a "third country" to the EU, just like India or China.

Other factors are occasionally cited but these are the main categories.

Job losses due to changes in the way business is conducted, such as those due to banking automation or to internet shopping, are usually excluded unless there is some compelling reason to regard Brexit is the real reason for cutting staff

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Voltex

The Mirror is suggesting Priti Patel as Home Secretary and Dominic Raab in the Foreign Office. These are pretty hard core Brexiteers in key Cabinet positions. The omens are pointing to a hard brexit in October.

Be interesting to see Sterling's reaction to a Boris Cabinet if it plays out like the Mirror are calling it.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Voltex wrote: »
    The Mirror is suggesting Priti Patel as Home Secretary and Dominic Raab in the Foreign Office. These are pretty hard core Brexiteers in key Cabinet positions. The omens are pointing to a hard brexit in October.

Be interesting to see Sterling's reaction to a Boris Cabinet if it plays out like the Mirror are calling it.

I think borris is lining up the pieces correctly to achieve what he wants, whether thats good or not is another debate but itll give him an easier time than May at getting some sort of deal or no deal done. He's effectively told the other MP's that the louder they shout leave, the more rewards they get. Since theres no chance of a non tory government till corbyn f*cks off, many will do whatever borris says to get ahead.

Them appointments were confirmed already

There's a facebook page tabulating every job loss story. Up to 243,000 as of this week.

I quite like the page. We only hear of the big players pulling out of the UK (Like Nissan today), never of the small businesses who are suffering just as badly.

Job losses are attributed to Brexit if they meet one or more of the following conditions:

1. The employer's business has been significantly affected by sterling's devaluation, either immediately through rises in the cost of imported inputs or later by inflation passed on by those who were so affected.

2. Government austerity cuts are attributed to Brexit since Britain voted to remain the EU, austerity would have been lifted instead of deepened.

3. Barring other obvious explanations businesses that were doing okay but experienced a significant slowdown after the Brexit vote are deemed to have been impacted by Brexit.

4. Businesses and other enterprises (e.g. EU regulatory authorities) that will be impacted by the imposition of trading or regulatory barriers (including the potential imposition of tariffs).

5. All jobs moved abroad are considered Brexit-related even if offshored outside the EU, since Brexit makes Britain a "third country" to the EU, just like India or China.

Job losses due to changes in the way business is conducted, such as those due to banking automation or to internet shopping, are usually excluded unless there is some compelling reason to regard Brexit is the real reason for cutting staff

I wonder what number the jobs made were on the back of brexit? Just saying

Them appointments were confirmed already

• Advertisement

Those job losses are very tenuous to say the least and part 2) is a massive assumption.

Advertisement