Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The glorious 12th

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 67,572 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

janfebmar wrote: »
    You are right there Francie. The greatest right of all is the right to live. And the IRA (some version of the IRA) still denying that right to certain people every now and again. ...the last time being in Derry not too many months ago.

I think if you had the guts to say the paramilitaries were wrong, it would move thins on a bit.

No word of criticism for loyalists who have killed since the GFA too jan? You disappoint me in failing to live up to your much and oft expressed claim to 'condemn all sides equally'.

*Equal condemnation incoming. :rolleyes:

Try saying it was all wrong from the start - a senseless and tragic partition, that has never worked and will never work, as we can see on this very day.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,071 ✭✭✭Odhinn

Equal treatment? :rolleyes: The cost of boards.ie giving equal treatment to your posts alone and translating them in to Irish would be at least how much? According to the Irish times, the high cost of external Irish translation - currently €43 per page, is almost twice the €22 average cost. Did you know the EU IS now hiring 62 Irish language translators for its institutions in Brussels and Luxembourg. The recruitment drive is part of a plan to recruit up to 180 Irish language speakers between now and the end of 2021. The seven billion figure for N. Ireland is a guesstimate based on the cost of new signage on roads, streets, public buildings, in hospitals, the extra cost of translating and printing bi-lingual versions of government documentation, forms etc.

If you were working for a company, a private company or a public quoted company like Ryanair - the quickest way to alienate and confuse its customers and bankrupt it would be to print all signage and documentation in Irish as well as English.

Where's your source for the "guesstimate"?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭janfebmar

No word of criticism for loyalists who have killed since the GFA too jan? You disappoint me in failing to live up to your much and oft expressed claim to 'condemn all sides equally'.

It goes without saying, I have always condemned the paramilitaries on both sides. You only condemn one side.

Try saying it was all wrong from the start - a senseless and tragic partition,

So you think we should never have parted from the UK? Never thought I would hear you saying that. I suppose all other island groups in the world are united. eg Japan.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,241 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

*Equal condemnation incoming. :rolleyes:

Try saying it was all wrong from the start - a senseless and tragic partition, that has never worked and will never work, as we can see on this very day.

Terrible evasion there Francie.
    Can you not put your (valid) politics aside and condemn outright acts of terrorism from both the state and paramilitaries?

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    Can you not put your (valid) politics aside and condemn outright acts of terrorism from both the state and paramilitaries?

?
    it was all wrong from the start

• Advertisement

It goes without saying, I have always condemned the paramilitaries on both sides. You only condemn one side.

eh, you didn't in your previous post. You had a dig at republicans alone, as if they are the only side who have killed since the GFA. Almost 160 people have died in political violence since the GFA.

?

You said before the British government was all wrong from the start. We are talking about the paramilitaries though. And not just since the GFA. Most violence happened before the GFA.

igCorcaigh wrote: »

You said before the British government was all wrong from the start. We are talking about the paramilitaries though. And not just since the GFA. Most violence happened before the GFA.

I said and have said many times before - IT was all wrong from the start, which was partition.

I'm not interested in going around in circles so you can do your anti-everything Irish dance jan.

I said and have said many times before - IT was all wrong from the start, which was partition.

So you think these islands should still be united? Thats not the point though. Care to condemn the paramilitaries?

I'm not interested in going around in circles so you can do your anti-everything Irish dance jan.

I condemn the paramilitaries on both sides Francie. Nobody is asking you to go around in circles. You condemn everything British and the loyalist paramilitaries.

I think if you had the guts to say all the paramilitaries were wrong, it would move things on a bit.

So you think these islands should still be united? Thats not the point though. Care to condemn the paramilitaries?

I condemn the paramilitaries on both sides Francie. Nobody is asking you to go around in circles. You condemn everything British and the loyalist paramilitaries.

But you didn't here:
    You are right there Francie. The greatest right of all is the right to live. And the IRA (some version of the IRA) still denying that right to certain people every now and again. ...the last time being in Derry not too many months ago.

when NOBODY was even talking about violence. The conversation was about Unionist intransigence on rights.
    And you, as usual, couldn't resist having you usual onesided pop.

Goodnight...still chuckling at how you keep letting the mask slip.

• Advertisement

when NOBODY was even talking about violence. The conversation was about Unionist intransigence on rights.

Actually you said "The conflict/war is over 20 years now jan. Still some people under siege and denying rights to certain sections though." to which I replied "
    You are right there Francie. The greatest right of all is the right to live."

So do not evade yet again Francie. Can you not condemn outright acts of terrorism from the paramilitaries on both sides during the troubles? Of course you will try to wriggle out of it again by claiming Republicans did not commit acts of terrorism, it was a war and it was the other side committed acts of terrorism etc. Yeah.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

Great photo of a flying loyalist from a few years back. I don't believe that the gentleman was injured in his aerial acrobatics.

otqj6c.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,831 ✭✭✭RobMc59

Actually you said "The conflict/war is over 20 years now jan. Still some people under siege and denying rights to certain sections though." to which I replied "
    You are right there Francie. The greatest right of all is the right to live."

So do not evade yet again Francie. Can you not condemn outright acts of terrorism from the paramilitaries on both sides during the troubles? Of course you will try to wriggle out of it again by claiming Republicans did not commit acts of terrorism, it was a war and it was the other side committed acts of terrorism etc. Yeah.
    Jan,the finest Irish boxer ever-Barry Mcguigan was threatened and hounded out of Ireland (Monaghan to be exact)by IRA thugs and his "crime "was he tried to promote peace-I'm not suggesting any posters here have that outlook but it sadly appears to be very popular with a lot of Republican extremists.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,305 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Case of living in the past there Rob. It was said earlier of you that you were living in some pre GFA era. Definitely seems to the case.

lawred2 wrote: »
    Case of living in the past there Rob. It was said earlier of you that you were living in some pre GFA era. Definitely seems to the case.

All you are doing there lawred2 is making a personal attack on someone who dares speak the historical truth. You cannot dispute the truth so you say they are "living in the past".

• Registered Users Posts: 4,831 ✭✭✭RobMc59

We're all probably guilty of that sometimes?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭Imreoir2

Equal treatment? :rolleyes: The cost of boards.ie giving equal treatment to your posts alone and translating them in to Irish would be at least how much? According to the Irish times, the high cost of external Irish translation - currently €43 per page, is almost twice the €22 average cost. Did you know the EU IS now hiring 62 Irish language translators for its institutions in Brussels and Luxembourg. The recruitment drive is part of a plan to recruit up to 180 Irish language speakers between now and the end of 2021. The seven billion figure for N. Ireland is a guesstimate based on the cost of new signage on roads, streets, public buildings, in hospitals, the extra cost of translating and printing bi-lingual versions of government documentation, forms etc.

If you were working for a company, a private company or a public quoted company like Ryanair - the quickest way to alienate and confuse its customers and bankrupt it would be to print all signage and documentation in Irish as well as English.

You "guesstimate" the cost of an Irish language act would be 7 Billion? Do you expect anyone will take this nonsence seriously? I think your uninformed opinions can safely be ignored on this topic, you clearly have no idea what you are talking about.

All you are doing there lawred2 is making a personal attack on someone who dares speak the historical truth. You cannot dispute the truth so you say they are "living in the past".

Using incidents from a time pre decommissioning and pre the GFA as evidence of existing attitudes or behaviors is the definition of living in the past. That's not a personal attack.

Nobody is disputing or attempting to dispute what happened to Barry McGuigan.

How about something a little bit more contemporaneous though?

The only extreme 'republicanism' that exists in NI now is the organised crime variety which have zero interest in anything other than racketeering.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,385 ✭✭✭✭downcow

The only extreme 'republicanism' that exists in NI now is the organised crime variety which have zero interest in anything other than racketeering.

And are you suggesting there is extreme unionism and not extreme republican/nationalism. I thought I had given you endless examples and offered you as many more as you wanted and you still make a statement like this. You really are blinkered

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Stop moaning ffs

downcow wrote: »
    And are you suggesting there is extreme unionism and not extreme republican/nationalism. I thought I had given you endless examples and offered you as many more as you wanted and you still make a statement like this. You really are blinkered

Extreme unionism. Arlene and co are closely tied to loyalist paramilitaries. Only met with them recently.
    That doesn’t happen on the far side.

• Advertisement

What?

RobMc59 wrote: »
    Jan,the finest Irish boxer ever-Barry Mcguigan was threatened and hounded out of Ireland (Monaghan to be exact)by IRA thugs and his "crime "was he tried to promote peace-I'm not suggesting any posters here have that outlook but it sadly appears to be very popular with a lot of Republican extremists.

He was 'hounded out of Ireland and Monaghan to be exact' because 'he tried to promote peace'?

Have you a link to that?

And you need to be on your toes here, at around 11 or 12 years of age I sparred with Barry and hung around with him, here in the street where we both grew up and know his seed, breed and generation. (I was Ireland's finest boxer by the way, until that day I hurt my big toe and had to retire prematurely ;) )

The Barry I know, was heavily criticised for declaring for Britain (Northern Ireland) in order to take part in the Commonwealth Games.
    It died down completely when it was clear that it was a career decision and nothing political. What I admire about McGuigan was that he never addressed the conflict or tried to 'promote peace' vocally, he just got on with the fight and people made their own minds up when they saw both communities supporting him.
    The flag with the white dove that he fought under, ONLY appeared for his title fight and I know the origins of that too.

So, if you cannot back up your 'hounded out of Monaghan and Ireland' claim, could you kindly withdraw it? Far too many lies and sensationalising going on in this thread.

Imreoir2 wrote: »
    You "guesstimate" the cost of an Irish language act would be 7 Billion? Do you expect anyone will take this nonsence seriously? I think your uninformed opinions can safely be ignored on this topic, you clearly have no idea what you are talking about.

Nelson McCausland could only sensationalise it up to 2 Billion over 20 years.

If that was the best the noted DUP scholar, who wants creationism to be represented as something that really happened in northern Irish museums, could do, what does '7 billion' say about our janfebmar?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭nthclare

Nelson McCausland could only sensationalise it up to 2 Billion over 20 years.

If that was the best the noted DUP scholar, who wants creationism to be represented as something that really happened in northern Irish museums, could do, what does '7 billion' say about our janfebmar?

These hard-line religious people remind me of the Puritans from long ago or the evangelicals from the Bible belt in America.

Creationism omg

nthclare wrote: »
    These hard-line religious people remind me of the Puritans from long ago or the evangelicals from the Bible belt in America.

Creationism omg

If you took a lot of things out of the equation, the bigotry and sectarianism of the OO, I think this puritanical, archaic thing would be a colourful addition to Irish life.
    Peter Robinson got serious stick from some for suggesting that the Orange could rebrand and promote itself as a 'tourist attraction'. It really is fascinating to think that there is a cohort who can manage to believe this stuff, in this day and age. They could be our own Amish people.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk/2010/may/26/northern-ireland-ulster-museum-creationism

Extreme unionism. Arlene and co are closely tied to loyalist paramilitaries. Only met with them recently.

Are you really serious that the DUP are more closely aligned to loyalist paramilitaries that SF are to republican ones????

SF and the IRA Army Council have a significant overlap in membership and well you know it

• Registered Users Posts: 12,415 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

If you took a lot of things out of the equation, the bigotry and sectarianism of the OO, I think this puritanical, archaic thing would be a colourful addition to Irish life.
    Peter Robinson got serious stick from some for suggesting that the Orange could rebrand and promote itself as a 'tourist attraction'. It really is fascinating to think that there is a cohort who can manage to believe this stuff, in this day and age. They could be our own Amish people.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk/2010/may/26/northern-ireland-ulster-museum-creationism

I happned to be in Belfast when that love Ulster man was having a go at transitioning them to a tourist attraction, I was with someone of strong republication inclinations, anyway a small march went through the center of Belfast and the atmosphere changed in an instant a good few people including us turned our back on them, if you have never seen it in real life its very hard to understand how intimidation and aggressive they sound a lambeg drum is massive.

Ignoring them and subtle hints that being in the orange order will have negitive effects on your career in areas like the public services, education, law and so on is the best way to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,347 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

You say it was all wrong, yet you excuse it so that there is no personal responsibility (except for British soldiers).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Stop moaning ffs

Are you really serious that the DUP are more closely aligned to loyalist paramilitaries that SF are to republican ones????

You probably don’t read the news here but dissident groups don’t have any time at all for SF nor have any dealings with them.

arelene and the DUP cannot say the same.

• Advertisement

IRA control of SF at its most grotesque
    https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/ira-leader-sent-mairia-diktat-to-sf-politicians-30729175.html

Advertisement