Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The glorious 12th

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 67,490 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

mariaalice wrote: »
    I happned to be in Belfast when that love Ulster man was having a go at transitioning them to a tourist attraction, I was with someone of strong republication inclinations, anyway a small march went through the center of Belfast and the atmosphere changed in an instant a good few people including us turned our back on them, if you have never seen it in real life its very hard to understand how intimidation and aggressive they sound a lambeg drum is massive.

Ignoring them and subtle hints that being in the orange order will have negitive effects on your career in areas like the public services, education, law and so on is the best way to go.

Have had many experiences of coming across those small demonstrations, and some can be very intimidating. But the most curious and fascinating one was on a tiny, grass down the middle of the road spot, just across the border here, (I and my family were driving back from Fivemiletown), it involved approx 12-14 men in sashes and one with a lambeg, stopping a bus in a driveway, two of them held up the traffic,(just us, in a southern car on a deathly quiet country road) while the rest did a quick march for about 200 yards along the road and then jumped back in the bus and away. Took about 10 minutes in all, no spectators, nothing, just 10 or 12 elderly men(bar the couple of young burly traffic wardens) marching in suits, sashes and bowler hats to the beat of a drum on an a late summer evening country road.
    It was the only 'full parade' I was ever at. :)
    And it was the most curious and fascinating thing. I can only surmise it was a kind of guerrilla/spontaneous gesture to fulfill their right to march on this particular stretch of the queen's highway. It was scary, funny, sad and bewildering all at the same time.

Has to have some tourist potential!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Stop moaning ffs

downcow wrote: »

‘But look over there!’

Never change DC:)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

Great photo of a flying loyalist from a few years back. I don't believe that the gentleman was injured in his aerial acrobatics.

otqj6c.jpg
    Loyalism being p!ssed on from the Heavens . A Work of Art .

Are water cannons really that powerful?

Jaysis I hope he wasn’t too badly hurt.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,343 ✭✭✭✭downcow

Great photo of a flying loyalist from a few years back. I don't believe that the gentleman was injured in his aerial acrobatics.

otqj6c.jpg

I don't get the point of the photo?? I was going to 'retaliate' by posting a picture of a nationalist residents group member being battened of the road to see if that got the same laughs but i decided that would be a disgusting thing to do. so I'll not join in your wee 'lets laugh at the other side getting hurt' game

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,300 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

I don't get the point of the photo?? I was going to 'retaliate' by posting a picture of a nationalist residents group member being battened of the road to see if that got the same laughs but i decided that would be a disgusting thing to do. so I'll not join in your wee 'lets laugh at the other side getting hurt' game

it is funny

I'd equally laugh at some scrote draped in a tricolor being cannoned in a similar situation.

Personally wasn’t laughing. Looks like he’s about to fall badly and get hurt.

That said if they weren’t carrying on to a degree where armoured cars and water canons are needed, there’d be no need. It’s hard to have any pity.

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭Dytalus

Are water cannons really that powerful?

Jaysis I hope he wasn’t too badly hurt.

They can be lethal when used at full strength, hypothetically.

Usually they are started up at low power. Enough to knock you off balance and convince you it's time to leave. That's what it looks like in the picture - if the gentleman with the flag was standing on top of a van (judging by his height he was) then it wouldn't take much to knock him off. A blast to the torso would do it (and given his shirt has been pushed up over his head, it's likely that's where he got hit). The fall may have hurt him, but he'd not likely have sustained any injuries from the cannon. Bruises, maybe.

They can be dialed up to properly send people flying in more serious situations - riots where officers may get hurt. They cannot be aimed at the head (in the UK at any rate) because at anything but the lowest power serious injury can occur. Something that might only cause bruising on the chest could blind someone or cause a concussion if it hit the head.

I don't find it particularly funny, but given how he was climbing over a barricade of armoured cars it seems he and those with him were acting aggressive. So not 'amusing' but definitely a sense of 'you brought this on yourself'.

Dytalus wrote: »
    They can be lethal when used at full strength, hypothetically.

Usually they are started up at low power. Enough to knock you off balance and convince you it's time to leave. That's what it looks like in the picture - if the gentleman with the flag was standing on top of a van (judging by his height he was) then it wouldn't take much to knock him off. A blast to the torso would do it (and given his shirt has been pushed up over his head, it's likely that's where he got hit). The fall may have hurt him, but he'd not likely have sustained any injuries from the cannon. Bruises, maybe.

They can be dialed up to properly send people flying in more serious situations - riots where officers may get hurt. They cannot be aimed at the head (in the UK at any rate) because at anything but the lowest power serious injury can occur. Something that might only cause bruising on the chest could blind someone or cause a concussion if it hit the head.

That’s mad thanks. Didn’t know that.

Least they’ve stopped with the rubber bullets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭janfebmar

I do not think anyone would be surprised at the links between at least some in sf and pira during the troubles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,343 ✭✭✭✭downcow

lawred2 wrote: »
    it is funny

I'd equally laugh at some scrote draped in a tricolor being cannoned in a similar situation.

Well i disagree with you and i won't be laughing at any 'scrotes' who were rioting on Bloody sunday or Garvaghy Road , etc. I don't think it is a laugh when anyone gets hurt even when they bring it on themselves, and that even includes the hunger strikers.
    If I be completely honest i probably did laugh at some of these events, but I was a lot younger and people on each side had been dehumanised. You obviously still have a way to travel to learn to humanise the most disadvantaged in society

janfebmar wrote: »
    I do not think anyone would be surprised at the links between at least some in sf and pira during the troubles.

Why would they be surprised? Did anyone ever hide this connection?

Somebody though, was less than transparent about her connection to the anti GFA/anti PSNI group RNU, until it was revealed and she had to admit it and address it

Seems some are allowed to leave their conflict/war past behind them but others aren't and are portrayed as shadowy IRA figures issuing 'diktats' when they are members of a party that were part of the architecture of a peace deal and signed up to it and were NEVER anti it.

Funny that ain't it?

. You obviously still have a way to travel to learn to humanise the most disadvantaged in society

I’d ask you to look at the still Active policy of Unionism against catholics in the north since day one. Throw in LGBT people and women seeking bodily autonomy and you’re finally seeing the reality of it.

I’d ask you to look at the still Active policy of Unionism against catholics in the north since day one.

Still active? I know many Catholic unionists who would disagree with you. Do not forget that in the 40' s and 50's there were far more Catholics employed in the public service in N Ireland than there were Protestants employed in the public services in the 26 counties.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Odhinn

Actually you said(..................) side committed acts of terrorism etc. Yeah.

I'm still awaiting the source for your "guesstimate" that irish language recognition would cost 7 billion.

Why would they be surprised? Did anyone ever hide this ?

Yes "Stopmoanin ffs" said / implied so, post no 1071

Still active? I know many Catholic unionists who would disagree with you. Do not forget that in the 40' s and 50's there were far more Catholics employed in the public service in N Ireland than there were Protestants employed in the public services in the 26 counties.

Down as far as them getting knickers in a knot about a different language on a few road signs, up as far as actively denying LGBT people equality and denying women their right to bodily autonom. Catholic and Protestants from both are affected though both to be fair

Yes "Stopmoanin ffs" said / implied so, post no 1071

I neither said nor implied. We can go back to your ‘catholic teacher hitting you’
    Thing you actually said, if you like.
    You seem to enjoy putting words in other’s mouths and denying many you said yourself. It’s tiresome.

Odhinn wrote: »
    I'm still awaiting the source for your "guesstimate" that irish language recognition would cost 7 billion.

It does not cost anything to recognise a language. I recognise it, I can differentiate it from German or Latin if someone if there were 3 speakers in a room, one of each language.

Changing all signage, websites, government documentation, application forms etc in to bi-lingual would be a different matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Odhinn

It does not cost anything to recognise a language. I recognise it, I can differentiate it from German or Latin if someone if there were 3 speakers in a room, one of each language.

Changing all signage, websites, government documentation, application forms etc in to bi-lingual would be a different matter.

Where's the source for your figure of 7 billion?

• Advertisement

Extreme unionism. Arlene and co are closely tied to loyalist paramilitaries. Only met with them recently.
    That doesn’t happen on the far side.

Nobody in Sinn Fein ever had any connections to IRA activity ? I think SF has closer links in the past to paramilitaries than any other party. Even at the last Ard Feis Mary Lou infamously shouted "Up the rebels"

Nobody in Sinn Fein ever had any connections to IRA activity ? I think SF has closer links in the past to paramilitaries than any other party. Even at the last Ard Feis Mary Lou infamously shouted "Up the rebels"

I’ll just ask again since you didn’t reply and seem to have deleted the post?
    It’s right here in black and white. Open the pic

Odhinn wrote: »
    Where's the source for your figure of 7 billion?

Guesstimate explained earlier, based partly on the Irish Times figure of the past cost of translating EU documents in to Irish of £42 per page.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,049 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Biggest sporting event on the island this weekend and guess who are trying to hijack it

Biggest sporting event on the island this weekend and guess who are trying to hijack it

What’s happening

Remind us to not to let you build any 'ospidels anyway! :rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 33,229 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Derry City v Sligo.

Sure its a 6 pointer, but I'd hardly call it the biggest sporting event of the weekend.;)

Nothing to do with the fact that Protestants only numbered 6-7% of the population then?

Jaysus you do like to stretch things.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,049 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

What’s happening

Loyalist flute band concert in Portrush on Saturday night, should not have anything like that on keep all that nonsense out of sport

• Advertisement

Remind us to not to let you build any 'ospidels anyway! :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Maybe you want the contract to change the signs on and in, and all the documentation in, the new Childrens hospital, just to confuse everyone and f*** up the costs even more.

Advertisement