Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wrestling News & Rumours Thread ***NO CHAT***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

gerrybbadd wrote: »
    Are you aware of Mauro's struggles with Bipolar? You might want to rethink your comments

Am sure he isn't the only one who suffers from being bipolar, or should we just call it depression, in WWE.
    Now let's call a spade a spade. Whether people like it or not WWE is a very cut-throat business. Just like any other form of entertainment. The second others smell blood it's time to move in for the attack. Many comedians have suffered from depression but still performed. Why? it's the nature of the game. Its pretecting your spot.

Point I am making is that, yes depression is a horrible thing! it really is... but if you let a co-worker trigger that, in a business such cut-throat and backstabbing as in wrestling then maybe rather than I rethinking my comments, he should be the one to re-think things?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Am sure he isn't the only one who suffers from being bipolar, or should we just call it depression, in WWE.
    Now let's call a spade a spade. Whether people like it or not WWE is a very cut-throat business. Just like any other form of entertainment. The second others smell blood it's time to move in for the attack. Many comedians have suffered from depression but still performed. Why? it's the nature of the game. Its pretecting your spot.

Point I am making is that, yes depression is a horrible thing! it really is... but if you let a co-worker trigger that, in a business such cut-throat and backstabbing as in wrestling then maybe rather than I rethinking my comments, he should be the one to re-think things?

You don't seem to know a whole lot about depression or Bipolar disorders. They're not the same thing, and they can be utterly devastating.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

Are you actually trolling with this ****e? Like I’m tempted to dissect it piece by piece but I’m giving you the benefit of the doubt that, in 2019, you’re not as thick to say bipolar and depression are the same thing and to use the ‘pull yourself together’ argument.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,148 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

"Let" doesn't really have anything to with it. Might be worth educating yourself on the subject Baracus, or you might end up saying the wrong thing to the wrong person in real life and cause unnecessary hurt.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,491 ✭✭✭thebostoncrab

As someone with bipolar I can 100% tell you that there is a massive difference between being diagnosed as bipolar and diagnosed as having depression.

I’m going to give you the benefit of the doubt here and assume that you don’t know anything about bipolar beyond “it’s a mental illness”, so I won’t jump down your throat about your choice of words about Mauro, but I do hope you will look back at the post and edit it after realising how damaging and harmful speaking about someone’s mental illness like that can be on other going through the same situation.

With bipolar you are weighed under by a massive amount of self-doubt and have an incredible poor image of your abilities. When a colleague goes onto a public forum like this with a personal comment, clearly designed to paint your skills in a negative light, that can have a massive impact on you. I’ve been there, it was horrific and it almost resulted in me quitting a job I love. That’s bipolar for you, and thank God I have a strong support network.

By saying that Mauro isn’t cut out for this role due to being “unable to handle critics”, you are both missing the point and you are victim blaming. Mauro did nothing wrong, but is the one impacted. He shouldn’t need to change a damn thing, instead what needs to change is the mindset of the one that caused that suffering and impact on him.

Funky enough, this never happened when he was commentating for MMA or boxing. In fact, the community there was supportive as hell and something I wish the wrestling community as a whole would take a look at. But wrestlers feel the need to “be a heel”, which is fine for storylines or for workers....but Mauro isn’t a worker. He isn’t in the ring, so there is no need for **** like this to occur. “Playing the heel” is now just a way of getting away with being a bully to those not in the ring.

If Mauro wasn’t cut out for critics, he never would have gotten to where he is. He has critics, he hears them, but they don’t impact his job. It’s very different when a co-worker, your peer, decides to publicly shame you. There is no place for that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Is this a work or something?

https://www.wrestlinginc.com/news/2019/11/backstage-news-on-why-corey-graves-made-the-tweets-about-662778/

It's about the whole Mauro Ranallo not being at SS accordingly because of tweets made by Corey Graves the previous night at takeover.
    Is this hiding another, real reason why Ranallo was not commentating on the show? or... to be honest, that Ranallo is just... well a b*tch :pac:

Ryan Satin already getting his boot licking in I see.
    Tbf this could have been a semi believable excuse if Corey had said it early Sunday morning (Graves head is so far up WWE's ass he would buy into crap like brand supremacy) but instead he acted like a stroppy teenager about it up for days after until his apology which just felt shallow.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,059 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Registered Users Posts: 60,295 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Graves who said he had his own mental health issues and has had suicidal thoughts in text messages to his wife who then put those text messages up on social media when she caught him cheating on her with Carmella Graves seems to spin social media for his own benefit at all times.

Graves seems a total dick of human being.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭randomspud

So WWE is a ****ty workplace full of arseholes, basically.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

what i really get from the mauro situation is that mental health is a diifcultt thing to mange or control, Graves is a complete dick for saying that about a fellow worker even tough i think what graves was saying was true

but what i really hates is a lot of the people getting mad about this on twitter is that so many of them would be overjoyed if mauro said it about corey and there not actually caring about peoples mental health its just a case of the mental health of those they like

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

JP Liz V1 wrote: »

What a geek, a complete ripoff of Punk's grammar videos only without any personality whatsoever.

randomspud wrote: »
    So WWE is a ****ty workplace full of arseholes, basically.

Plenty has been said by many wrestlers out there. Believe their words. Not mine.

@thebostoncrab nice post. Won't say anything against it. The rest of yous? Jaysus you couldn't hit that reply button quick enough coulds yas :pac:

My two cents... agree... disagree with me if you shall and that's WWE is a cut-throat, shark tank. Many would love Mauro to fail. Many would love Orton, Rollins, Reigns etc to fail. As that someone else will step right up and fill their shoes. Take their paycheck, their spot and everything else they can. (one could argue that we are also talking about life too)

Back when Ricky Steamboat won the IC championship he requested time off to spend with his family and newborn. How did management react? He never quite recovered.
    More recent times with Lars Sullivan and not being able to work with John Cena. Being anxious got the better of him. Think he will go on to have a great WWE career? Sadly, it's not likely.

That's my point. Bitch at me, say ah B.A. ya big bollocks. That's WWE. Is it right? no. It's not. But that's life.

Going back to the comedian references I made earlier many have suffered from depression (yes, I am referencing depression, some of yous said about being bipolar different above) But many comedians like Robin Williams suffered from crushing depression. He still went out tho, right?

You put everything aside and you go out there. When Bret lost Owen he went out there. That's my two cents. Disagree with me if you's all want.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

We're not just disagreeing with your opinion, dude. We're trying to educate you, and get you to see that most of what you're saying is objectively incorrect.

We're not just disagreeing with your opinion, dude. We're trying to educate you, and get you to see that most of what you're saying is objectively incorrect.

Please enlighten me then :pac:
    because the one thing, which i made reference above, was seeing how bipolar and depression are different things (especially as bonstongrab said)

but you know where I got that from? .... google. seriously. everyone google bipolar. This is what comes up:

"Bipolar disorder, previously known as manic depression, is a mental disorder that causes periods of depression and abnormally elevated moods. The elevated mood is significant and is known as mania, or hypomania if less severe and symptoms of psychosis are absent."

Are you okay?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭randomspud

Plenty has been said by many wrestlers out there. Believe their words. Not mine.

@thebostoncrab nice post. Won't say anything against it. The rest of yous? Jaysus you couldn't hit that reply button quick enough coulds yas :pac:

My two cents... agree... disagree with me if you shall and that's WWE is a cut-throat, shark tank. Many would love Mauro to fail. Many would love Orton, Rollins, Reigns etc to fail. As that someone else will step right up and fill their shoes. Take their paycheck, their spot and everything else they can. (one could argue that we are also talking about life too)

Back when Ricky Steamboat won the IC championship he requested time off to spend with his family and newborn. How did management react? He never quite recovered.
    More recent times with Lars Sullivan and not being able to work with John Cena. Being anxious got the better of him. Think he will go on to have a great WWE career? Sadly, it's not likely.

That's my point. Bitch at me, say ah B.A. ya big bollocks. That's WWE. Is it right? no. It's not. But that's life.

Going back to the comedian references I made earlier many have suffered from depression (yes, I am referencing depression, some of yous said about being bipolar different above) But many comedians like Robin Williams suffered from crushing depression. He still went out tho, right?

You put everything aside and you go out there. When Bret lost Owen he went out there. That's my two cents. Disagree with me if you's all want.

So basically: "Man up! You're in the big leagues now kid!".

What a terrible attitude.

I have to say that...
    You were all quick enough to get back to me and tell me how wrong I was. Once I post the definition from Google you all shut up. Where's the "that (Google definition) don't mean **** BA" etc. Talk about jumping on the bag wagan virtue signalling.

Also leggo... Now I know that's you at a loss of words ;)
    You're the man who has to write a 4 paragraph response to every thing you say on here :pac:

But whatever. I said my opinion and you all said yours. Gas. We'd all slit each others throats to get on in this world. Be it a WWE announcer or anything ;)

You are going to serious lengths to avoid saying “Okay I made a bad point lads.” Why are you rambling about us slitting our throats now? This is bizarre. People aren’t shutting up because you posted the Google definition, we know what it is. It’s just getting awkward as you have a full blown meltdown rather than just say you got it wrong.

I have to say that...
    You were all quick enough to get back to me and tell me how wrong I was. Once I post the definition from Google you all shut up. Where's the "that (Google definition) don't mean **** BA" etc. Talk about jumping on the bag wagan virtue signalling.

Fine then, if you insist.

Bravo. Well done. You managed to find a one-paragraph synopsis on the internet. You took a simplified definition and shared it as if it was the magic silver bullet that killed off all our nasty rebuttals. Bully for you.

Except, of course, that is isn't quite right at all. Your "definition" lacks all sense of nuance, detail, and recognition of individual differences. It fails to mention the symptoms and behaviours associated with both the depressive and the manic states. It fails to illustrate how these are polar opposites, and that some people can go from one extreme to another without warning. One person's experience can be very different from another's.

Depression itself is not the same as feeling a little bit sad. Everybody experiences sadness from time to time. Chronic depression can be like the feeling you get after a funeral, except it lasts for weeks or months at a time and you have no idea where it came from or if it will ever go away. You get exhausted, isolated, distracted from important parts of your life.

Similarly, mania isn't just about feeling happy. Imagine scoring the winning penalty in the cup final and staying on that buzz for days. It can sometimes lead to dangerously reduced inhibitions and reckless behaviour, even spending too much money on frivolous things for others. Some people don't even get the manic episodes. Their two polar states might just be depressed and level.

Doctor Google didn't mention any of that to you. Some performers can embrace it and channel the manic energy into their performances, which can help with their professional success, but imagine what their personal lives are like behind the scenes. It ain't all rosy in the garden.

leggo wrote: »
    You are going to serious lengths to avoid saying “Okay I made a bad point lads.” Why are you rambling about us slitting our throats now? This is bizarre. People aren’t shutting up because you posted the Google definition, we know what it is. It’s just getting awkward as you have a full blown meltdown rather than just say you got it wrong.

Because I am not wrong.
    Let me say this as short as I can: He should of went out there and announced. WWE is dog eat dog (even life, hence why i say slit your throat) you don't let other people, co-workers in his example take you down a peg. You rise above it. Even if you are a bumbling mess before you go out the curtain. That's my point.

But in true boards.ie fashion (probably should say internet fashion to be fair) everyone hopped on me saying "ba! bipolar is not depression..." even tho thats what google said.

Disagree with me all you want. I shared my opinion. My point. Youre sharing yours. Besides it's all sh*te talk. I'm moaning how he should have went out and there he is earning a big fat pay check. You guys are moaning about me saying how I got it wrong (well then, so did google) At the end of the day who gives a f*ck. I said my peace. You said yours.

• Advertisement

Google isn’t a doctor.

Yes, bipolar is a type of depression, however they are not one in the same. The best way I can describe is think about fruit. An apple is a fruit, and an orange is a fruit. If you argued they are the same people would say you are wrong, and if your defence is “But they are both fruits” then yes, they are indeed still fruits, but they are not the same thing.

Bipolar (the orange or apple) comes under the category of a type of depression (the fruit), but it’s not as simple as saying that they are one in the same because they aren’t. Believe me I wish they were because it’d would have made my life easier.

The reason why so many people here are jumping on this isn’t to “gang up on you”, at least I’d hope not, but rather you used a really dismissive and offensive statement about Mauro’s mental health when you called him a bitch. To someone reading that who might be going through something, you might not believe me on it, can be quite damaging to them. (Just for the record it didn’t phase me, because I get the impression it’s because no one talked to you about it before rather than ignorance. However not everyone will have the same outlook).

If you don’t want to take a step back and go “alright, I get it now, I’m sorry and I’ll edit that post” then fair enough. Hell to be honest with you, even turning around and saying “You know, I don’t get it, I still don’t get it, but it has clearly impacted some of you so for that I’m sorry” would be a sound thing to say.

I hope this ends this though and we can get back to talking about wrestling, I have ranting about Seth Rollins to do ðŸ˜

The Google definition didn’t prove what you thought it did. You saw the word ‘depression’ in there and immediately thought “Aha I’m right!” Then didn’t read or take a minute to understand it before posting.

The difference between bipolar and depression is that depression is one symptom of bipolar disorder. To put into context how wrong you are, I put ‘symptoms of cancer’ into Google there and ‘hoarseness’ came up. So it’s essentially like saying “X couldn’t come to work because they have cancer” and you saying “So his voice is a little hoarse? What a bitch!” And all that is before you even get into the cringey “to cut it in this industry kid...” stuff you’re saying about someone who’s already succeeded in the industry. Which is like me trying to tell Jim Carey that he doesn’t have what it takes to be a Hollywood actor because he’s had mental illness issues...despite him having decades of success and millions in the bank.

You’re making a show of yourself. Everyone else can see this. Nobody, not one person, is saying “Wait he’s actually got a point...” Instead of taking more time to dig your heels in in a meaningless discussion on boards, you can actually use this to learn about what bipolar is and isn’t now to get something constructive from it. If you do (you won’t), you’ll come away understanding how dumb all of this sounded.

This is life tho Leggo. I feel I am correct. You feel you are correct. So be it. Who cares.
    As soon as I hit Submit Reply I go on with my day. As with all of yous when you do the same. I said my bit. You said your bit. So be it.

It’s not a matter of opinion.

Grass is green. If you argue that it is black, click submit and go about your day like an absolute madzer who doesn’t give a mothertruck about anything, you haven’t had a disagreement. You’ve been incorrect and ignorant.

And while that’s fine because that particular bit of ignorance harms nobody, your own dalliance with stupidity today is repeating a harmful attitude that affects and knocks back people who deal with this stuff constantly. If Mauro broke his arm, you wouldn’t suggest he just gets on with things. He’s legitimately ill here and unable to work, you trying to invalidate and undermine that is a ****ty, incorrect attitude that needs to go. And I hope you or anyone you care about never have to experience the real life affects of stuff like this, then you’d know full well how wrong you were here.

Aka youre dying to be proven correct. How sad is that when you think about it? To win an internet argument?

Then again, from the man who posts essays in replies. I expect nothing less ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Nobody is trying to be "Prove correct" other than you here dude.

You've used shoddy evidence to back up your argument, and passed Mauro's illnesss off as something he should just brush off and get on with, the bitch.

What's happening here is people are trying to explain to you, quite rightly, how wrong your statement is.

But you've little shame, you stand by your statement, and obviously have no intention of backing down becuase in your mind, you are correct

I tried to find something to pin-point where folks are coming from on the "bipolar is the same as depression" argument for you, and this is the best resource I found. It will literally only take you 30 seconds to read:

- The Difference Between Bipolar and Depression

I'd truely appreciate if you took the time to read that and let me know your thoughts B.A.

On the other side of things, the reason why some of us are going on about this is your choice of words and calling Mauro a bitch due to his mental health issues. I disagree with some of the ways folks are speaking to you about this, because I honestly don't think you are beind malcious here, just unaware of the scope of the situation. I get where you are coming from, WWE is a cut throat world, and you 100% need thick skin to work in this enviroment. However, you can be thick skinned and have mental health issues. I think Mauro has displayed this a ton in the past, or else he would have left Twitter a loooooooooooooooooooooooong time ago.

However, what Corey did here wasn't a critic, it was a personal put down on his peer in a public forum. If Corey approached Mauro in private with his view, this would have gone down very differently and I'm positive Mauro would have appreicated it and a dialouge would have happened. Instead by going about things the way he did, he did impact his bipolar at a very sensitive time for Mauro. The HBO documentary displayed how after a show Mauro can be in a state of mania after a show, and becomes very critical of himself. To then in that moment have your peer publicaly say that your work is not only sub-par, but impacts those around you, and that then triggeres hundreds of people to relay the same message to you....that's gonna impact you.

Again, this dones't happen in other combat sports. If Corey was working for UFC he would have been pulled up and probably fined or given a warning. Mauro did nothing wrong, Corey did. Mauro doesn't need to change a thing, Corey needs to re-think how his words can affect those around him, and be careful with how he decides to voice his opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭Davy05

Is this sh*te still being discussed?? Move on lads christ...

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Of course it's being discussed, given the prevailing attitude above, it's hardly surprising that people aren't willing to talk about what their going through, or just keep it to themselves if it's just being brushed off as man up, get on with it, and a variety of other ways to describe it.

What if it had ended differently, and Mauro actually took it to heart, there'd be a different attitude here right now, but then again there usually is whenever someone going through hell with mental health problems ends their own life. I've seen it first hand, though who disparage are usually first to the front saying I wish I could've done something, or X, Y, Z scenarios.

Whatever happened to taking a moment to try and understand another one's despair?

• Advertisement

Davy05 wrote: »
    Is this sh*te still being discussed?? Move on lads christ...

Boards.ie Now Your Moaning .... :pac:

Advertisement