Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wrestling News & Rumours Thread ***NO CHAT***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,440 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

sirmanga wrote: »
    In a new episode of South Park they hilariously tackle transwomen beating women in sports. They have a transwoman character, who is quite clearly based on Macho Man Randy Savage, beating all of the women. It's great because the Savage character is so manly that it's absurd that he could be thought of as a woman, and people are too afraid of being labelled a transphobe to say anything.
    However, what I found odd was that they used the Savage WCW circa 1999 look. That wasn't his most famous era, although I suppose that was when he was at his vein-bustingly roided peak. So it made their gag even funnier.

Ah 1999 WCW macho man where taking the flying elbow was not fun.

CM Punk - Tony Khan - Randy Orton - Tony Khan on twitter tonight..... Just read the tweets. Great stuff :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

God that’s hilarious there all tweeting that stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 60,297 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Khan it the RKO out of nowhere on Orton and shut him up.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

It’s fun to read but kinda scummy from both of them. Like if they want to take shots and little fun digs on Twitter, fair enough, but trying to genuinely scandalise the other screams insecurity from both. When you’re not afraid of the competition and insecure that you can’t beat them by just being better, you don’t go trying to turn people off them by digging up dirt.

Randy looks like he’s genuinely threatened, you didn’t see WWE do this to TNA back in the day. Khan looks like a total mark who studies every move these guys make and is only dying to play ‘Monday Night Wars’ and ‘take shots’ for likes. While he’s doing that on Twitter I’m under the impression Vince is staying up until 4am annoying writers to tweak the script for SmackDown (he may not be, but he’s also not on Twitter and that’s the image the public has of his work ethic, whereas I know where Tony is and there’s no mystique). The latter image looks better than the lad trying to dunk on guys on Twitter for someone who doesn’t have a side.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,440 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Nikki cross has reported signed a new deal with WWE as her original three year deal was finishing. I know they've been locking people up to these five year deals and nearly all of them I've not been a fan of but I'm happy Nikki cross got a new contract. Finally one of the deserving people get a deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

leggo wrote: »
    It’s fun to read but kinda scummy from both of them. Like if they want to take shots and little fun digs on Twitter, fair enough, but trying to genuinely scandalise the other screams insecurity from both. When you’re not afraid of the competition and insecure that you can’t beat them by just being better, you don’t go trying to turn people off them by digging up dirt.

Randy looks like he’s genuinely threatened, you didn’t see WWE do this to TNA back in the day. Khan looks like a total mark who studies every move these guys make and is only dying to play ‘Monday Night Wars’ and ‘take shots’ for likes. While he’s doing that on Twitter I’m under the impression Vince is staying up until 4am annoying writers to tweak the script for SmackDown (he may not be, but he’s also not on Twitter and that’s the image the public has of his work ethic, whereas I know where Tony is and there’s no mystique). The latter image looks better than the lad trying to dunk on guys on Twitter for someone who doesn’t have a side.

Keep in mind, this all started when Tony was tagged in the initial tweet. Whether or not he "looks" like a total mark or not, he didnt start this. And he's a self admitted total mark - if you listen to his interview with Jericho, he can legit name dates and locations for matches that happened years ago, off the top of his head

i dont think he should be getting involved in stupid stuff like this on twitter but i think i seen he has done this with some fullham fans as well so i think he can be bit of a hothead

although i did find jacksonville dixie hilarious

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Couldn't agree more. It's a very scumbag politician thing to do ("my best chance of winning isn't on my own merits")

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

Orton did it first, Tony had every right to hit him with that Goldberg spear.

Also, Jim Cornette is gone from the NWA due to being an out of touch racist lunatic.

• Advertisement

Jordan Myles got his release.

Now the rest who want their release know what to do just call Vince and the WWE racists on social media.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭randomspud

Now the rest who want their release know what to do just call Vince and the WWE racists on social media.

Cut to The Revival and Luke Harper pacing the floor waiting for their 23 And Me results to show .000005% Sub-Saharan African heritage.

No chance, the difference here is that they were kinda caught with their pants down with that idiotic T-shirt idea. Plus ACH genuinely seems in a bad place right now and it’s the decent thing to just give him what he wants. It’d also be dumb of wrestlers to try that route because, on the face of it, going on social media and blasting your employer is generally a bad way to go about securing new employment. Anyone who isn’t desperate for a stunt signing will see that carry on and say “How long until they do that to me too?” There are mitigating factors in this case that make it different, but it’d be a really dumb way to go about things if someone tried to manufacture that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

Cornette refusing to apologise in any way for his racist comments will "address" the situation on his podcast today.

I hope his shovel doesn't break. I believe the biggest hole ever dug was 13 miles deep in Russia.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,149 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

Yeah there's no real way around this for Jim. He can plead incredulity over the anger caused all he wants over a line he's used previously, but deep down he knows then and now are two completely different things. He needs to accept he ****ed up.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭weareallmarks

Lads the quote is old and horrific in 2019 should never be said and should never be allowed air on a taped show that went through at least 2 edits.

Do you get what I am saying? Not only does Jim (wrongly) think its a witty comment, so does Lagana and the entire editing/creative team who has the yes/no call on final edits before it makes air

Treat THEM ALL with the same vitriol. Not just Jim Cornette because he doesnt like your favorite wrestling.

They are all wrong here and should be lambasted!

Yeah there's no real way around this for Jim. He can plead incredulity over the anger caused all he wants over a line he's used previously, but deep down he knows then and now are two completely different things. He needs to accept he ****ed up.

Lads the quote is old and horrific in 2019 should never be said and should never be allowed air on a taped show that went through at least 2 edits.

Do you get what I am saying? Not only does Jim (wrongly) think its a witty comment, so does Lagana and the entire editing/creative team who has the yes/no call on final edits before it makes air

Treat THEM ALL with the same vitriol. Not just Jim Cornette because he doesnt like your favorite wrestling.

This is a massive assumption and likely an incorrect one. When you look at it from a purely logical standpoint, do you think that a company who's traded largely on goodwill from Twitter (their opening scroll every week is filled with complimentary tweets) would want a racist joke going out on-air or think it's a good idea? Whether they harbour offensive thoughts privately or not, it'd be incredibly dumb to consciously make that decision.

People have spent the week pretending they have this amazing insight into the NWA editing process. You don't, you're not there. As someone who edits and distributes content, nobody has a clue about the exact process behind editing beyond the person doing it (and even if they publicly speak about it, they're probably dressing it up beyond "I do it in my underwear at 4am the night before covered in Doritos dust").

All reasonable evidence points to this just being a ****-up on their part. Cornette's comments are totally unacceptable and he shouldn't be on TV in 2019. But it's absolutely mental for people to act like they're confident a discussion was had about the comment and that all parties decided "Yep, keep it in, that's hilarious and Twitter will definitely agree." How do you arrive at that logical conclusion like, it's baffling?! I'd almost guarantee it was something more like the show was being edited and whoever was on the final cut was only half paying attention and it slipped by. Sure a Starbucks cup got into a key Game of Thrones scene, that stuff happens all the time! Absolute worst case scenario they did notice it, they tape their audio and their video in-sync and made a stupid misjudgement along the lines of "If we cut out that part, the match won't make sense, and people will just think 'That's Jim being Jim'" The latter two scenarios are WAY more likely than what everyone is acting like is a given.

But when something like this happens in 2019, there's a rush to "gotcha" and cancel everyone involved. Do people realise that the end result of that attitude is them not having a hobby anymore?!

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭weareallmarks

All fair, my assumption is that more than 1 person puts the show together and someone signs off on it. Noone wants a racist comment on their program, when producing content, quality control is beyond key. You know that yourself. Especially in 2019 you have to be doubly aware of what is put out. Either they didnt do their job, or didnt understand the comment in itself. Both are an issue, and 1 should be derided (if someone didnt know what the statement was and why it was offensive, they should be talked to)

Noone disputing that the comment is aaceptable on any level. But when compared to other racist outbursts the outrage is at the person more than the comment. I only googled it this morning and saw far worse from more 'liked' wrestlers. The person is more of an issue to alot of people than the comment itself

But, he is fired for it which is the outcome that matches the comments.

This is a massive assumption and likely an incorrect one. When you look at it from a purely logical standpoint, do you think that a company who's traded largely on goodwill from Twitter (their opening scroll every week is filled with complimentary tweets) would want a racist joke going out on-air or think it's a good idea? Whether they harbour offensive thoughts privately or not, it'd be incredibly dumb to consciously make that decision.

People have spent the week pretending they have this amazing insight into the NWA editing process. You don't, you're not there. As someone who edits and distributes content, nobody has a clue about the exact process behind editing beyond the person doing it (and even if they publicly speak about it, they're probably dressing it up beyond "I do it in my underwear at 4am the night before covered in Doritos dust").

All reasonable evidence points to this just being a ****-up on their part. Cornette's comments are totally unacceptable and he shouldn't be on TV in 2019. But it's absolutely mental for people to act like they're confident a discussion was had about the comment and that all parties decided "Yep, keep it in, that's hilarious and Twitter will definitely agree." How do you arrive at that logical conclusion like, it's baffling?! I'd almost guarantee it was something more like the show was being edited and whoever was on the final cut was only half paying attention and it slipped by. Sure a Starbucks cup got into a key Game of Thrones scene, that stuff happens all the time! Absolute worst case scenario they did notice it, they tape their audio and their video in-sync and made a stupid misjudgement along the lines of "If we cut out that part, the match won't make sense, and people will just think 'That's Jim being Jim'" The latter two scenarios are WAY more likely than what everyone is acting like is a given.

But when something like this happens in 2019, there's a rush to "gotcha" and cancel everyone involved. Do people realise that the end result of that attitude is them not having a hobby anymore?!

I'll be honest with you lads: I woke up Wednesday morning around 6am for work, checked Twitter and saw the clip blowing up. When I first heard it, with a big bed-head, I didn't fully cop what he was saying. I thought the point was that Trevor Murdoch was so sound that he'd go around giving Ethiopian people food and, with that in mind, thought it was a dumb, insensitive comment but ultimately one just based around him observing that there had been a famine in Ethiopia rather than about race itself. It was only an hour or so later, when I looked again and saw the outrage continued to pour in and it wasn't just 'the random thing 'woke' wrestling fans fishing for likes on Twitter have decided is awful today', that I re-watched and copped what he'd actually said and that it was definitively racist. The image of starving Ethiopians chasing a guy around for fried chicken is pretty awful, so to play it for laughs on a family show is mind-numbingly thick and just shows how embedded this stuff is in him. But it took early-morning-me two attempts to fully cop it.

That's my own personal experience. I'd like to think I'm not stupid but I can be dozy and miss the point sometimes at 6am. And it kind of blew past me. Now obviously I'm not responsible for what goes out on the show so it's not expected I pay full attention, but that's partly why I sympathise a bit with the lads being ossified. I missed it myself when it was being pointed out "Hey look, this is bad!"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭sirmanga

I'll be honest with you lads: I woke up Wednesday morning around 6am for work, checked Twitter and saw the clip blowing up. When I first heard it, with a big bed-head, I didn't fully cop what he was saying. I thought the point was that Trevor Murdoch was so sound that he'd go around giving Ethiopian people food and, with that in mind, thought it was a dumb, insensitive comment but ultimately one just based around him observing that there had been a famine in Ethiopia rather than about race itself. It was only an hour or so later, when I looked again and saw the outrage continued to pour in and it wasn't just 'the random thing 'woke' wrestling fans fishing for likes on Twitter have decided is awful today', that I re-watched and copped what he'd actually said and that it was definitively racist. The image of starving Ethiopians chasing a guy around for fried chicken is pretty awful, so to play it for laughs on a family show is mind-numbingly thick and just shows how embedded this stuff is in him. But it took early-morning-me two attempts to fully cop it.

I had a similar reaction. At first I didn't know what the line meant. So, even taking the racial element out of it, from a purely comedic sensibility, a joke that needs to be explained is never funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,149 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

Lagana and others taking some of the blame goes without saying.

I'm a fan of Cornette but only a mark for him would try and deflect any blame from him.

So Vince now owns his own dirt sheet with Ryan Satin in the fold officially.

So Ryan vs Dave dirt sheet war to go with the actual Wednesday Wrestling War.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,806 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

sky88 wrote: »

Was trying to go through the thread. So Kelly was fired for saying something negative? And Joey Mercury is unemployed? Joey's tweets don't seem right. Hard to read

ROH released a statement saying they haven't fired Kelly they just told her they won't be renewing her contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

ROH released a statement saying they haven't fired Kelly they just told her they won't be renewing her contract.

Which is basically you're fired, but in HR speak.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,806 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I guess if she's cleared to wrestle before her contract runs out, they'll have her lose the title, rather than just have it be vacated.

But any time I've seen RoH lately it just hasn't appealed to me. It keeps feeling like a recap show more than anything with clips of what has happened over the past week.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭briany

As I'd said previously, modern mainstream wrestling has become very banal and I think this is in no small part due to the fact that there's a real fear of creating offence and losing sponsors in the wake of the outrage.

I am most definitely not saying it should be OK to make jokes about starvation, here, but I think wrestling Twitter is going to forget all about this in short order as well. Jim Cornette makes a bone-headed joke, and the NWA is too half-arsed to catch and edit it out. Jim resigns. John Bradshaw Layfield was found to have undertaken a years-long campaign of psychological and physical abuse against an innocent ring announcer, and was also bullying his co-commentator, and he continued working with the company. I think the bigger takeaway is that there aren't really principles involved in a carny business like wrestling. More what you think you can get away with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭randomspud

My takeaway from that is WWE is a garbage company with a horrible working environment.

See also: pretty much everything else about them.

• Advertisement

So Simon Miller is having a match with Sami Callihan in Florida on WM weekend.

Fair fcuks to him.

EJ65oCAXYAAgKtz.jpg

Advertisement