Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wrestling News & Rumours Thread ***NO CHAT***

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

Meltzer is dead to me.

Having a dig at Charly is the final straw.

She only got the job because she is young and cute.

Charly is a lot more than bloody cute Dave.

Nah, he said that WWE only hire those backstage robots if they are young and attractive. He said that Mean Gene wouldn't get a second look nowadays.

And he's 100% right too. He said nothing even resembling a "dig" at anyone, only the hiring process.

Of course it's taken out of context to fit whatever agenda people have against him.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,297 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Nah, he said that WWE only hire those backstage robots if they are young and attractive. He said that Mean Gene wouldn't get a second look nowadays.

And he's 100% right too. He said nothing even resembling a "dig" at anyone, only the hiring process.

Of course it's taken out of context to fit whatever agenda people have against him.

Ye women back in those days to get into the business females had to pay Moolah get assaulted and be used sexually and pimped out by her to get in the business I bet Mean Gene never had to put up with that sh1t to get a job in the business.

We live in better times now and Dave is out of touch.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,149 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

^ That was Moolah.....allegedly.

No, he was talking about the backstage interviewers only.

He is out of touch the modern world as much Cornette is.

• Advertisement

He really isn't.

Dave Meltzer is a misogynist and has a history of off comments when it comes to females.

Just because he has and does do good some good work as a journo doesn't take away from the fact that he seems to dislike females.

Also tell me any entertainment industry in 2019 that a short stout balding Mean Gene gets a job ahead of a college educated attractive person male or female as an on screen presenter?

Mean Gene was of his time.

Byron, Charly, Cathy, Tom Phillips, Renee, Vic are of their time.

That also does not take away that Mean Gene was as good as you get it, It just means times change.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

I think too much was read into Dave's "dig" at Charly....

It’s Dave history or digs and continued digs at females that is the issue not one dig at Charly.

• Advertisement

That's because it wasn't a dig at her in any way. It was stating the obvious about how WWE hire those backstage interview droids.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Pentecost

Leave Charly alone you monster! #teamcharly

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

He is out of touch the modern world as much Cornette is.

By saying WWE hires interviewers based on looks???

He's probably half right to be brutally honest, this is a company that used to hire attractive women as plants in the crowd afterall.
    It's not like any of the recent interviewers are better or have the range that Jeremy Borash would have in the role. He's smaller than most wrestlers too which is a prerequisite for the role for Vince.
    Honestly I can't remember the last interviewer that was memorable or really good in WWE. Probably Mean Gene.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,440 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

I don't think Meltzer is a misogynist but from the comments about female wrestlers or interviewers he does seem to construct his points in a way that is clumsy. And until Peyton Royce tweeted at him i'd never have thought about it.

Also I think there are very good interviewers on WWE both male and female but comparing them to Mean Gene is unfair as he was a god at it. In fact with a few exceptions comparing most wrestlers today to the past generations will make the current crop look bad. I mean Gene Okerland, Bobby Heenan, and Nick Bockwinkel doing what they were good at will anyone look bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭randomspud

No one is going to remember a single one of the current backstage interviewers in WWE whereas Mean Gene is iconic.

Dave has a valid point.

Reports Lana has signed a new 5 year deal while Rusev is still negotiating.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

randomspud wrote: »
    No one is going to remember a single one of the current backstage interviewers in WWE whereas Mean Gene is iconic.

Dave has a valid point.

That assumes that the aim of a wrestling TV show is ‘remember the backstage interviewers’ though. For better or worse, WWE are going for their non-wrestling talent to be professional and polished in order to widen the general appeal of wrestling to a mainstream audience. If you look at the likes of Sky Sports and the NFL, they do the exact same. Sky Sports in particular would much rather a host that just moves the conversation along rather than go back to the days of Richard Keys and Andy Gray for obvious reasons. If you let these ancillary people be ‘stars’, you then have to deal with whatever baggage that may bring, when a wrestling TV show doesn’t succeed or fail based on the strength of its backstage interviewers. Then you find a gem like Renee Young who’s both sensible and safe but also entertaining and memorable and can carry shows like Backstage.

As someone says, it’s a sign of the times and there are pros/cons to both. But in 2019, I definitely see the logic of playing it safe and keeping everything professional and polished.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,548 ✭✭✭✭briany

leggo wrote: »
    That assumes that the aim of a wrestling TV show is ‘remember the backstage interviewers’ though. For better or worse, WWE are going for their non-wrestling talent to be professional and polished in order to widen the general appeal of wrestling to a mainstream audience. If you look at the likes of Sky Sports and the NFL, they do the exact same. Sky Sports in particular would much rather a host that just moves the conversation along rather than go back to the days of Richard Keys and Andy Gray for obvious reasons. If you let these ancillary people be ‘stars’, you then have to deal with whatever baggage that may bring, when a wrestling TV show doesn’t succeed or fail based on the strength of its backstage interviewers. Then you find a gem like Renee Young who’s both sensible and safe but also entertaining and memorable and can carry shows like Backstage.

As someone says, it’s a sign of the times and there are pros/cons to both. But in 2019, I definitely see the logic of playing it safe and keeping everything professional and polished.

I can understand the logic from a logistical perspective, but it's all wrong from an entertainment perspective. There's nothing wrong with a presenter having a strong personality or presence of their own if they're working with the stars. That'll always be a better thing than banality, imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

I’m not even disagreeing like, I get it. I’m just saying I can’t really criticise them if I’d likely make the same decision in their shoes. Again, go back to Sky with Richard Keys and Andy Gray, they spend millions on football and get these ‘personalities’ in to host it and the baggage those big personalities bring ends up nearly doing serious damage to the thing they’ve invested the house in. Going bland won’t harm viewers because people are watching for the games anyway and the hosting is fine if not great, going colourful where they don’t need to risks that.

The backstage interview style "to widen the general appeal of wrestling to a mainstream audience" is a little silly then since they've never had less viewers than they have now. The robotic interviewers with the most bizarre verbiage along with the announcers and wrestlers spouting lines and lines of corporate buzzwords appeals to nobody.

• Advertisement

Lets go back to the days when everyone was coked of their heads doing interviews backstage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭RollieFingers

The main problem for me with WWE interviewers isn't who they are or what they look like, it's how they speak. Nobody in real life talks like that, same with the commentary, Cole and Phoenix stand out as the most obvious. Just comes across so fake and forced compared to say the Kelly/Gambino/Charlton combo in NJPW, who come across very natural.

See Marty Scurll has a video up announcing he's teaming with Flip to take on Bandido and Flamita at Final Battle, should be a great match. Could mean he has re-signed with ROH, but it was apparently filmed outside of Cracker Barrell so that might be a hint to where he'll end up. Hopefully not WWE anyway.

And given how Hangman Page had turned that photo frame of him, one of the Bucks, & Marty towards the camera before the end of last week's Being The Elite episode....

• Registered Users Posts: 28,804 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

He just say it was WWE. I'm pretty sure the backstage women in AEW and Impact are pretty easy on the eye, like Melissa and Dasha.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,104 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

They basically only have one line anyway.

"Ladies and Gentlemen, please welcome my guest at this time....."

J. Marston wrote: »
    They basically only have one line anyway.

"Ladies and Gentlemen, please welcome my guest at this time....."

And followed by "what are your thoughts"

• Registered Users Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Is this a work or something?

https://www.wrestlinginc.com/news/2019/11/backstage-news-on-why-corey-graves-made-the-tweets-about-662778/

It's about the whole Mauro Ranallo not being at SS accordingly because of tweets made by Corey Graves the previous night at takeover.
    Is this hiding another, real reason why Ranallo was not commentating on the show? or... to be honest, that Ranallo is just... well a b*tch :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

https://www.wrestlinginc.com/news/2019/11/backstage-news-on-why-corey-graves-made-the-tweets-about-662778/

It's about the whole Mauro Ranallo not being at SS accordingly because of tweets made by Corey Graves the previous night at takeover.
    Is this hiding another, real reason why Ranallo was not commentating on the show? or... to be honest, that Ranallo is just... well a b*tch :pac:

Are you aware of Mauro's struggles with Bipolar? You might want to rethink your comments

gerrybbadd wrote: »
    Are you aware of Mauro's struggles with Bipolar? You might want to rethink your comments

The documentary Showtime did on him last year (I think), is a fascinating insight into the war he deals with.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,509 ✭✭✭bennyl10

Mauro is someone who openly has struggled with mental health issues, and being called out publicly by a colleague is a pretty dick thing to do.
    Corey is an asshole who only decided to apologise when everyone told him as much.

There was no need for it, at all. Especially when Corey isn't exactly a shining light of commentary

Advertisement