Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wrestling News & Rumours Thread ***NO CHAT***

Options

Comments

What I find funniest about the Cornette stuff is that most that I've seen attacking him are the Edgelord-type who claim to support The Donald but that comment was obscene to them. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

briany wrote: »
    As I'd said previously, modern mainstream wrestling has become very banal and I think this is in no small part due to the fact that there's a real fear of creating offence and losing sponsors in the wake of the outrage.

I am most definitely not saying it should be OK to make jokes about starvation, here, but I think wrestling Twitter is going to forget all about this in short order as well. Jim Cornette makes a bone-headed joke, and the NWA is too half-arsed to catch and edit it out. Jim resigns. John Bradshaw Layfield was found to have undertaken a years-long campaign of psychological and physical abuse against an innocent ring announcer, and was also bullying his co-commentator, and he continued working with the company. I think the bigger takeaway is that there aren't really principles involved in a carny business like wrestling. More what you think you can get away with.

I don’t know why people look to wrestling for moral guidance tbh. Or any sport for that matter, it’s like when people act shocked when rich, young footballers act like spoiled millionaires. They’re paid to pay football and that’s where their job ends. Wrestlers are paid to wrestle, commentators to commentate, and so on. They’ve zero moral obligation towards people and the ones who act like they do are often the worst when you get away from the Disney smiles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

Commentators are also not supposed to call for people to be killed, call an innocent ring announcer who has done nothing wrong a pedo and also they aren't supposed to offend people with terrible 30 year old, racist jokes.

He's a liability at this stage and a complete moron. He refused to apologise which shows you what kind of a person he really is.

Commentators are also not supposed to call for people to be killed, call an innocent ring announcer who has done nothing wrong a pedo and also they aren't supposed to offend people with terrible 30 year old, racist jokes.

He's a liability at this stage and a complete moron. He refused to apologise which shows you what kind of a person he really is.

Do you think I was saying they should?? :pac:

Wrestlers are paid to wrestle, commentators to commentate, and so on. They’ve zero moral obligation towards people and the ones who act like they do are often the worst

If you are speaking on television, you have a moral obligation not to be an idiot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭savemejebus

If you are speaking on television, you have a moral obligation not to be an idiot.

If that was true we'd only have about 2 hours of TV per year.

What are you even talking about? Because someone appears occasionally on the box in the corner of your room, they have to be a good person?! That’s mental.

This is a job, same as the person who scans your food at Tesco, or whatever you do yourself for a job. These people are free to think whatever they like in their free time, same way you’re free to post your thoughts on boards in your own. The fact that they’re on TV doesn’t come into it.

Cornette is a racist because he’s an auld lad who grew up in the south in America who spends his days giving out about how it’s not the same as it was in his day. It’s totally unsurprising that that guy has backward views, and the fact that he was quite entertaining running around with a tennis racket for a few decades wouldn’t change that. He’s actually allowed have his own thoughts too, even if they are dumb or offensive, same as you’re allowed think the lads who appear on TV are all perfect gods and it doesn’t affect your employment. Why he was wrong was because he shared those offensive thoughts while doing his job, same way the chap at Tesco would be if he started saying racist slurs to customers.

That doesn’t make wrestling ‘carny’ or a morally bankrupt industry. It’s mental if people have expectations that every single person involved is perfect, not a single job on the planet operates under that basis. This guy had backwards thoughts, shared them while on the job, now he doesn’t have a job. That’s it, nothing else to see here and no grander conclusions to draw.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭briany

Jim Cornette has been consistently calling for the head of Vince Russo for the best part of 20 years for the alleged crime of writing bad wrestling angles, and no-one has batted an eye. In fact, judging by the views and comments his rants on Russo receive, people seem to think it's great craic. Viewed from outside the bubble of wrestling, however, it appeared that, up until last Monday, the wrestling business, and community, still embraced a man who had a restraining order on him for threatening the very life of another. I'm not sure, then, that the wrestling community at large really retained the moral authority to now decide that Jim Cornette should be cancelled because he suggested an indy promoter should be strung up for looking like a schlub while ring announcing, that he made a remark about how Justin Roberts seems creepy to be always smiling, or pulled an admittedly ill-advised one-liner out of his mental rolodex.

I'm not saying that any of the above is OK, but I'm not sure why this occasion is the one to decide that Cornette should be ostracised, and not all the other times he has said some crazy sh*t over his last 20 years of shooting. The NWA had to have known that they weren't exactly hiring Mr. PC. And to that, it was a bit offside that no-one in the organisation apparently thought his remark was inappropriate in the weeks the episode was in the can, and then all ran for cover when it aired and left him standing alone to face the music.

The last point I'll make is that one insensitive remark does not make a racist. I have heard many things about Mr. Cornette, but out of all those I have not heard anything on his track record as a promoter or a manager that made him out to be a racist, and he's had a long track record in the business. So absolutely, he should probably get with the times and realise that certain things are just outdated to say, but similarly, if he does this, the wrestling community should cut him a bit of slack.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

That fatal 4 way could be really good

https://twitter.com/WWE/status/1199358174156992513?s=20

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,378 ✭✭✭Riddle101

I hope the Kabuki Warriors retain. They're awesome and have be brilliant since turning heel. But i'm worried Becky and Charlotte will end up winning the tag teams championships instead.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,735 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Riddle101 wrote: »
    I hope the Kabuki Warriors retain. They're awesome and have be brilliant since turning heel. But i'm worried Becky and Charlotte will end up winning the tag teams championships instead.

Becky and Charlotte won't win, Starrcade is essentially a pumped up house show, imagine very little title changes.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,726 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Given that the tag titles can be defended across all three brands then surely it would have made more sense to include Rhea and Candice rather than Alexa and Nikki.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

Riddle101 wrote: »

agree but id actually really like an askua vs kairi mania match so id prolong there reign till askua turns on kairi

• Registered Users Posts: 23,104 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Spoiler: Someone gets misted and rolled up.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,804 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Loughc wrote: »
    Becky and Charlotte won't win, Starrcade is essentially a pumped up house show, imagine very little title changes.

Thought the same about the Saudi show and they had the Universal Title change, so it's possible.
    Unlikely though.

At least we get Alexa back

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,735 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Thought the same about the Saudi show and they had the Universal Title change, so it's possible.
    Unlikely though.

At least we get Alexa back

The Saudi show pumps millions into WWE starcade is a house show with a hour of it airing on the network not the same thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭RollieFingers

See Marty Scurll has a video up announcing he's teaming with Flip to take on Bandido and Flamita at Final Battle, should be a great match. Could mean he has re-signed with ROH, but it was apparently filmed outside of Cracker Barrell so that might be a hint to where he'll end up. Hopefully not WWE anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,297 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I'd say nearly everyone wants out of ROH the way things are going there can't see many signing new contracts.

AEW could get some top talent if there is an exodus from ROH.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,440 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

I'd say nearly everyone wants out of ROH the way things are going there can't see many signing new contracts.

AEW could get some top talent if there is an exodus from ROH.

Sinclair who own ROH could help themselves a lot by getting rid of one person and that's the guy named Greg the office boy who seems the one constant person who has annoyed most people in that company for years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Sinclair who own ROH could help themselves a lot by getting rid of one person and that's the guy named Greg the office boy who seems the one constant person who has annoyed most people in that company for years.

Will his burner account go too???
    I genuinely feel ROH aren't even in the top 5 US promotions anymore, even with their financial backing.

ERG89 wrote: »
    Will his burner account go too???
    I genuinely feel ROH aren't even in the top 5 US promotions anymore, even with their financial backing.

Yeah that's the baffling thing to me about ROH in terms of financial backing they'd be probably be third behind WWE and AEW and unlike WWE and AEW the company that owns them is a very large TV company but they seem a mess behind the scenes at least.

John pollack is reporting that Mauro Ranallo won’t be on commentary for nxt tonight. I know Cole said on Sunday that Mauro blew his voice out but it sounded fine at the end of wargames Sunday morning. I know people are linking the corey graves tweets to all this but you’d hope that was just an unfortunate coincidence.

I'd actually pay to see Frank Shamrock beat the living **** out of Corey Graves in a cage.
    https://twitter.com/frankshamrock/status/1199013867692548101

• Registered Users Posts: 7,724 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

Corey is talking a lot but you just know should anyone like Shamrock come after him he'd say it's all a work

• Registered Users Posts: 23,104 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

I'd actually pay to see Frank Shamrock beat the living **** out of Corey Graves in a cage.

I wouldn't even want to see him beaten. Just confronted. Typical hard man behind a keyboard who would probably piss himself at actual face to face confrontation.

Meltzer is dead to me.

Having a dig at Charly is the final straw.

She only got the job because she is young and cute.

Charly is a lot more than bloody cute Dave.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,726 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Bring back the Lion's Den match.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,149 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

I get the impression from Graves that he's a serial drunk tweeter. I like Graves on commentary but the only fathomable reason I can think of that makes him think he's the right to go after a colleague like like (and a far superior one at that) is that he's just a piss head.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,149 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

Meltzer is dead to me.

Having a dig at Charly is the final straw.

She only got the job because she is young and cute.

Charly is a lot more than bloody cute Dave.

Haha had to Google this, first result was from a dirt sheet site who simply referred to Meltzer as "dirt sheet writer" in their headline.

That's some fairly bizarre **** from Dave it has to be said.

Advertisement