Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Murders - BBC One & RTE One

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Immortal Starlight

I actually thought at one stage that he was going to change into a werewolf. In the scene where he falls out of the bed and starts writhing around on the floor. And then again when he fell down in the nightclub.

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭Scott Tenorman

I liked the Knocknaree story, they should have just had 6 episodes with this story and left out the Lexi story altogether which was out of place & generally sh*te!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,322 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

I liked the Knocknaree story, they should have just had 6 episodes with this story and left out the Lexi story altogether which was out of place & generally sh*te!

I thought they were going to connect and there would be an angle to do with the student house, the motorway and someone trying to prevent the motorway as it would lead to the discovery of the bodies from the 1980s... but nope.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Bellbottoms

odyssey06 wrote: »
    I thought they were going to connect and there would be an angle to do with the student house, the motorway and someone trying to prevent the motorway as it would lead to the discovery of the bodies from the 1980s... but nope.

That would of been a much better ending.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,121 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

I was hoping it would turn out that Adam the kid after years of torment finally flipped and killed the other two kids because he couldn't handle it anymore. That would make a lot of sense on why he was repressing the memory all these years. Maybe even he secretly liked Jaime but they went with each other and kissed and laughed in his face. Speaking with John in the car it finally comes back to him.

It would also make sense as to why he's been behaving so psychopathic - eg. being so cruel with Cassie, beating Shane senseless, confrontation with Sam, trying to pin it on Cathal, almost electrocuting himself and all the other ****. It would have been a grim twist at the end of it - the real bad guy, the real psycho of it all - Adam himself. Adam the broken boy who was so tramatized by torment finally snapped. And now he would have to live with himself, and the viewer is left on the edge with a feeling that this psycho, someone whose perspective they had taken of being the good guy the whole series, is still out there. I still think it could have been him, I just wish they had made it clear instead of pushing the ridiculous hocus pocus thing instead.

Overall I think it was a great series with strong characters, great atmosphere and dialogue, great tone and images, but in desperate need of a coherent plot. There was also too much time doing nothing or Adam just remembering something.

agreed.... i was suggesting to my wife coming into the last episode that Adam must have killed the kids (possibly accidently) and the trauma was causing his memory lapse. like say pushing them off tree or into a quarry etc.
    then when the story was evolding that the other two kids were not actually as good as friends as adam remembered... i thought that was going to be the big reveal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Bellbottoms

sydthebeat wrote: »
    agreed.... i was suggesting to my wife coming into the last episode that Adam must have killed the kids (possibly accidently) and the trauma was causing his memory lapse. like say pushing them off tree or into a quarry etc.
    then when the story was evolding that the other two kids were not actually as good as friends as adam remembered... i thought that was going to be the big reveal.

That would of been much better as well.

What a shambles of an ending. After the third episode the show just went off the rails.

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭Scott Tenorman

As someone who has never read the books i kept thinking "ok this student stuff (with the oldest group of students i've ever seen BTW!) is sh*t but lets see how it ties in with the main story" but it didn't at all

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Livvie

It was a mistake - imo - to merge two books rather than concentrating on one at a time. They apparently did this just to have a male/female detective pairing.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,906 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Livvie wrote: »
    It was a mistake - imo - to merge two books rather than concentrating on one at a time. They apparently did this just to have a male/female detective pairing.

I'm halfway through the first book, and the two of them are a pair in it.....

Agree that trying to mix the two stories didn't turn out great, the student house story just seemed completely ridiculous in the end. Looking forward to reading that book to see if that's actually how the story was intended! The first book is pretty faithful to the series (well, the other way around, I suppose!)

Another US review, this time it's of the had potential but not worth sticking with variety ... "too much unbelievable plot":
    https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/review/dublin-murders-review-1253701

• Advertisement

Another US review, this time it's of the had potential but not worth sticking with variety ... "too much unbelievable plot":
    https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/review/dublin-murders-review-1253701

Very harsh but correct review

• Registered Users Posts: 18,124 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

sydthebeat wrote: »
    Very harsh but correct review

I wouldn't say fair. The critic basically tells viewers not to watch the show and nearly spitefully gives the ending away.

Strazdas wrote: »
    I wouldn't say fair. The critic basically tells viewers not to watch the show and nearly spitefully gives the ending away.

thats generally a reviewers job .... and the reason people read reviews...

i dont think the review unfair at all... it calls it out for what it is... a preposterous unbelievable mess.

and if i had had the chance to read that review 8 episodes ago i would have watched something completely different and not wasted my time with it.

it had some good points, which is generally the acting and the mood... the pace was ok... but it was let down by some seriously poor story telling

Zeek12 wrote: »
    The businessman with the beard and ponytail.

Was the leader of the three teenagers in the woods in the 80's

He was the corrupt government minister in Red Rock as well!

zorro2566 wrote: »
    He was the corrupt government minister in Red Rock as well!

And I think he is in the LIDL christmas ad too, in a dodgy christmas jumper...
    Haven't they seen any of his previous roles before casting him!

Seems Dublin Murders may well return for a second series and the writer even has detailed plans for the storyline and characters. She's just waiting for the go ahead :

https://evoke.ie/2019/11/10/showbiz/dublin-murders-writer-sarah-phelps

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭DMcL1971

As someone who has never read the books i kept thinking "ok this student stuff (with the oldest group of students i've ever seen BTW!) is sh*t but lets see how it ties in with the main story" but it didn't at all

A group of students who sit around and read books together. Where’s the telly, where’s the Xbox or PlayStation. Instead of watching DVD’s they watch black and white movies with a projector. They seemed more like they were from the fifties than the 2000’s.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

DMcL1971 wrote: »
    A group of students who sit around and read books together. Where’s the telly, where’s the Xbox or PlayStation. Instead of watching DVD’s they watch black and white movies with a projector. They seemed more like they were from the fifties than the 2000’s.

The book has a lot of backstory around that, also a lot more on the historical conflict between the village and the big house. They only skimmed the book for the tv adaptation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

I haven't seen the show but I read all her books and enjoyed them. I don't know how someone thought it would be a good idea to combine books one and two (the second book isn't all that far fetched), and now the writer plans to combine books three and four which are very tenuously linked.

Ipso wrote: »
    I haven't seen the show but I read all her books and enjoyed them. I don't know how someone thought it would be a good idea to combine books one and two (the second book isn't all that far fetched), and now the writer plans to combine books three and four which are very tenuously linked.

It's a fair point about the two books but people are giving out yards about the ending and yet it matched the ending of 'In The Woods' almost exactly.

I'd say there is no pleasing some of the critics of the show, they were never going to like it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭Zak Flaps

wench wrote: »
    They've been extinct here for like 300 years

So you're saying jamie and peter went 300 years back in time?
    Interesting!!

Best sum up yet thank you!. The problem with the show was the mumbling, was so hard to hear what was being said. I never heard "child eater" and thought if you blinked you'd miss the stone part.
    Had to really concentrate and rewind, was a bit of a shambles imo very incoherent.
    Anyone else find it hard to understand due to mumbling?

I genuinely started watching it with the subtitles on after episode one.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,367 ✭✭✭Homelander

It's a fair point about the two books but people are giving out yards about the ending and yet it matched the ending of 'In The Woods' almost exactly.

I'd say there is no pleasing some of the critics of the show, they were never going to like it.

Eh, what? Most people who watch the show will never have read the books.

A bad ending is a bad ending. And Dublin Murdrers does have a weak ending.

No great mystery involved, nothing to do with the books, which 90% of audiences will not have read.

I couldn't agree more. I thought that was terrible. So boring and pointless.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,631 ✭✭✭wench

Zak Flaps wrote: »
    So you're saying jamie and peter went 300 years back in time?
    Interesting!!
    Mind blown!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

even though the endings corresponded, would you say the ending of the book was more satisfactory?

i havent read the books, but from what ive heard a lot of significant stuff happens in the minds of the characters... which can be threaded out easily in a book, but practically impossible on screen.

so while the endings are the same.. how you understand the ending could be completely different in the book than the screen

• Registered Users Posts: 7,993 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Only got around to finishing watching, it was a bit of a slog. I couldn't understand how something so obviously well funded could have such terrible writing/plot then I realised it was based on 2 books which makes more sense. For me it doesn't matter what way they spin it but unanswered mysteries are just lazy writing, either make it sci-fi/fantasy or don't. Some of the acting was poor but I would give the actors the benefit of the doubt seeing as they had so little to work with. It's hard to know what they could've done differently to make it work, I guess base a single 4 episode series on one book would be a start but really it seems they probably shouldn't have tried to adapt something if it required amalgamating 2 books

• Registered Users Posts: 17,722 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Have to say I gave up on this towards the end. I thought it started well but just lost it's way half way through. Disappointing.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,158 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

The story got a bit complex in the 2nd half but it was still very watchable, and still the best series on RTÉ since Love/Hate.
    The 2 leads were fantastic. Wasn’t too crazy about Nidge’s performance in this, he doesn’t seem to be able to change his mannerism’s in the different roles.

Advertisement