Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Murders - BBC One & RTE One

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭dubdaymo

SozBbz wrote: »
    Rosalind revealing Robs true identity

I'm still trying to understand how did she know his true identity?

• Registered Users Posts: 85,715 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

davedanon wrote: »
    Anyone else think TVL was just lazily reprising his Nidge persona from L/H? I'm finding his actorly tics increasingly annoying.

I could only see Nidge and Fran for Tom and Peter :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

dubdaymo wrote: »

He told her some when they met in the pub, she could connect the dots with his name, the Reilly family leaving for England etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭SozBbz

dubdaymo wrote: »

She figured it out as resident criminal mastermind/master manipulator/crazy b1tch.

He hinted that he was in someway broken or could empathize with her and she joined the dots.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,930 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

KWAG2019 wrote: »
    Silly plot. Trying to have mysterious mumbo jumbo replace reality. And a wolf in Ireland.

there was no wolf story

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85,715 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

She figured it out as resident criminal mastermind/master manipulator/crazy b1tch.

He hinted that he was in someway broken or could empathize with her and she joined the dots.

Did she know about her father's involvement in the woods?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    I could only see Nidge and Fran for Tom and Peter :p

I've actually met the dude, and heard him speak, in real life. Although I knew he was going to attend the event, I didn't even recognise him when he turned up, so unlike Nidge is he. Long hair, softly spoken. Just lazy reprising the look, accent and personality for this role.

davedanon wrote: »
    I've actually met the dude, and heard him speak, in real life. Although I knew he was going to attend the event, I didn't even recognise him when he turned up, so unlike Nidge is he. Long hair, softly spoken. Just lazy reprising the look, accent and personality for this role.

I thought the interaction at hte end of last nights epidode between him at the Head of the Murder Detectives in the stiarwell (cant remember his characters name) was classic Nidge.

I enjoyed it, because lets face it, I think we all enjoyed Nidge, but for TVL is it really a good idea to play a new character so close to your most famous role? He could have at least played him as less working class or something even if he kept the attitude, just to make the two more discernible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

Exactly. Most actors will moan about typecasting, if they're lucky enough to a land a role sufficiently iconic. Self-typecasting is rare; it makes a thesp look limited.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

I enjoyed it, because lets face it, I think we all enjoyed Nidge, but for TVL is it really a good idea to play a new character so close to your most famous role? He could have at least played him as less working class or something even if he kept the attitude, just to make the two more discernible.

This character is very working class though, it's a key element in the third book of the series.

In fairness to TVL he's played a dozen different roles since Nidge, it's just that all that RTE asks him to play is a rough Dublin fella.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,314 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Did she know about her father's involvement in the woods?

Given how intelligent Rosalind is, she seems to know all about the 1985 case, so probably knows her father was connected to it and had been a suspect at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,587 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

Which one was she?

http://lisarichards.ie/actorsf/shereen-martin-actor#.XcLUdcnp0wA

She was a pathologist or coroner or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,587 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

I thought the interaction at hte end of last nights epidode between him at the Head of the Murder Detectives in the stiarwell (cant remember his characters name) was classic Nidge.

TVL played a detective here though, albeit a not so dedicated one.
    But far removed from our Nigel, surely?

TVL played a detective here though, albeit a not so dedicated one.
    But far removed from our Nigel, surely?

Yeah, I do know that, which is why I'm surprised, that a good actor (if indeed TVL is a good actor?) carried through many of the same Nidge-isms while playing another role.

Its as if he can only do "working class dub" one way, and it looks an awful lot like Nidge.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭robwen

My money is on Slender Man

• Registered Users Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭prunudo

toodleytoo wrote: »
    What was the significance of what nidge said to Rob?

Did anyone else pick up on what funky monkey meant regarding what Mackey said to Rob/Adam at the end.

prunudo wrote: »
    Did anyone else pick up on what funky monkey meant regarding what Mackey said to Rob/Adam at the end.

It was something about a supernatural "child snatcher" in the forest, that's what that stone was meant to represent.

It's left to us to guess what actually happened to the two kids.

Strazdas wrote: »
    It was something about a supernatural "child snatcher" in the forest, that's what that stone was meant to represent.

It's left to us to guess what actually happened to the two kids.

Ah right, wasn't sure what the drawing on the stone signified.
    Wonder will they commission another series.

Wonder will they commission another series.

There's talk that there might well be another series. There's plenty of material to work off anyway, with several more novels on the same Dublin Murders theme.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,433 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

So we will be none the wiser as to what happened the 2 missing kids back in 1985 it seems.

The best part for me was Rosilands transformation into a psychopath during the interview.

Very good actress that plays her.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭Bellbottoms

TVL tells Adam exactly what it is, a child eater.

I dont mean to come across as a dick here. But I am shocked by the amount of people looking for things to be explained.
    Dublin Murders isnt exactly Mr Robot or The Leftovers.

Everything but the abduction of the children in 1985 was spelled out and explained. And you could argue that given the amount of talk about things supernatural. Changelings, wolfs, ancient alters, the daughters conception releasing a dark power.

The kids where taken by something supernatural, that is why no trace of them was found. Cassies twin is something supernatural aswell. We can assume brought into being by the violent death of her folks and the deer.

Presumably that is why Adam and Cassie are so close. Both have had encounters with the supernatural. I think Adam even says something to Cassie about them having something in common when they first meet and are sitting in the car.

TBF the show was sold as an Irish scandi noir police procedural. Not Rent a Ghost with cops and Nidge. So that might have something to do with it people being confused by the show.

TVL tells Adam exactly what it is, a child eater.

I dont mean to come across as a dick here. But I am shocked by the amount of people looking for things to be explained.
    Dublin Murders isnt exactly Mr Robot or The Leftovers.

Everything but the abduction of the children in 1985 was spelled out and explained. And you could argue that given the amount of talk about things supernatural. Changelings, wolfs, ancient alters, the daughters conception releasing a dark power.

The kids where taken by something supernatural, that is why no trace of them was found. Cassies twin is something supernatural aswell. We can assume brought into being by the violent death of her folks and the deer.

Presumably that is why Adam and Cassie are so close. Both have had encounters with the supernatural. I think Adam even says something to Cassie about them having something in common when they first meet and are sitting in the car.

TBF the show was sold as an Irish scandi noir police procedural. Not Rent a Ghost with cops and Nidge. So that might have something to do with it people being confused by the show.

I didn't catch him saying child eater, thanks for clearing up.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,930 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

So we will be none the wiser as to what happened the 2 missing kids back in 1985 it seems.

The best part for me was Rosilands transformation into a psychopath during the interview.

That was Anthony Hopkins level stuff

• Subscribers Posts: 41,292 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Is there plans for a second season??

Cos that was one of the worst wrapping up of a season I've ever experienced.

Pretty much no plot query answered.
    And new ones introduced in the finale also not resolved.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,128 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

sydthebeat wrote: »
    Is there plans for a second season??

Cos that was one of the worst wrapping up of a season I've ever experienced.

Pretty much no plot query answered.
    And new ones introduced in the finale also not resolved.

Katys murder was resolved

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Katys murder was resolved

Pretty much???

And that single resolution was stupid and paper thin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭Bellbottoms

sydthebeat wrote: »
    Pretty much???

And that single resolution was stupid and paper thin.

What do you want. She confessed, explained her reasons and how she she did it.

I don't know how what more you want. A two hour special with PowerPoints and charts breaking it all down and spoon feeding it.
    It was what it was.

Everything was explained. If you didnt like it. That's fine. But it was explained and heavy handed at times the way they went about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,419 ✭✭✭✭Zeek12

Apologies if I missed something here.....but can I ask how did Rosalind know Rob was really Adam?

Everything was explained.

really?

you posted yourself just a few hours ago:
    But I am shocked by the amount of people looking for things to be explained.

how did she find out about adam?
    they didnt go any deeper than "i did some digging"..... utterly ridiculous deux ex machina being used

what happened to the original kids?

who was lexi?

what were the students hiding?

what was up with adams seemingly psychosomatic pains??

the actual stuff that was resolved was pretty stupid and unbelievable.

i all for metaphysical narratives, but dont dress it up like a gritty crime drama if its heavily based on acid !

• Advertisement

Zeek12 wrote: »
    Apologies if I missed something here.....but can I ask how did Rosalind know Rob was really Adam?

seeingly youre not allowed ask???

Advertisement