Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Murders - BBC One & RTE One

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,122 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Zeek12 wrote: »
    Apologies if I missed something here.....but can I ask how did Rosalind know Rob was really Adam?

I think she guessed and just put it to him . Adam told he he had past and she put two and two together . I don’t think she knew until she challenged him

• Registered Users Posts: 13,418 ✭✭✭✭Zeek12

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    I think she guessed and just put it to him . Adam told he he had past and she put two and two together . I don’t think she knew until she challenged him

Thanks.

Thats not how the scene played out though. She was completely sure of it during her confession. It really didn't seem like a guess....who knows, maybe season 2 if there is one, will reveal more?

Didn't find it convincing either the way the Superintendent guy immediately believed it. Without question.

Then again he also swallowed, without a single bit of proof the story about Adam being killed in an accident in New Zealand !!

Thanks.

Thats not how the scene played out though. She was completely sure of it during her confession. It really didn't seem like a guess....who knows, maybe season 2 if there is one, will reveal more?

Didn't find it convincing either the way the Superintendent guy immediately believed it. Without question.

Then again he also swallowed, without a single bit of proof the story about Adam being killed in an accident in New Zealand !!

Yeh it was a bit far fetched in fairness! I was just fascinated by Rosalinds character change that it didn’t bother me really at the time

• Registered Users Posts: 18,279 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Apologies if I missed something here.....but can I ask how did Rosalind know Rob was really Adam?

An educated guess. Perhaps she somehow worked out he was really from Knocknaree himself and deduced the rest from the dates and his age etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭Bellbottoms

sydthebeat wrote: »
    really?
    you posted yourself just a few hours ago:

Sorry, I should of worded it better. My point was the need for everything to be spoon fed.
    how did she find out about adam?
    they didnt go any deeper than "i did some digging"..... utterly ridiculous deux ex machina being used

I agree, it was an awful.
    And I have no clue. We do know that the supernatural is real on the show. So its not implausible she divined it somehow

what happened to the original kids?
    The child eating god, or whatever it was on the stone TVL shows Adam at the end of the show took them. He is personified by the wolf, that Adam keeps seeing and that shows up in the last few scenes
    who was lexi?
    The first Lexi who shows up after Cassies crash, is a) a supernatural entity b) some sort of coping mechanism that Cassies mind creates. I don;t think anyone else interacts with that Lexi.

The second Lexi was just a con woman. She say an opportunity and took it.
    what were the students hiding?
    That they killed Lexi 2
    what was up with adams seemingly psychosomatic pains??
    Honestly you have me there. No clue.

But aside from that everything was more or less explained if you join the dots.

I am not saying that the explanations were not lazy, or that they were good. Just that they are tere and are consistent with the fictional universe presented to us.

How could the kids thing be anything but a cop out. Would you of preferred in the last episode a reveal that someone had come up with the perfect set up. Killed the kids, gotten ridden of traces of there bodies, cut Adams shirt and then hypnotised him so that he would forget everything.

Edit: Reading over that last paragraph I could conceivable see something like that happening on Sherlock. But it would of been just as ridiculous.

the actual stuff that was resolved was pretty stupid and unbelievable.

i all for metaphysical narratives, but dont dress it up like a gritty crime drama if its heavily based on acid

I agree, with both of those statements.

The Lexi story line was pointless and served no purpose other then keeping Cassie and Adam apart for a while.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,385 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

What utter tripe! Far fetched, not even a cursory nod in the direction of depicting real procedure, dIsmall dialogue and hammy acting. And everyone gets a personality transplant at the end (except Nidge, who has remained a menacing prat, despite being reincarnated. )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Can anyway tell me what was carved on the stone at the end ? Is it some sort of mythological creature ?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,279 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

ricero wrote: »
    Can anyway tell me what was carved on the stone at the end ? Is it some sort of mythological creature ?

Yes, something about a mythological or perhaps supernatural "child snatcher" who inhabits the forest.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,119 ✭✭✭batistuta9

SozBbz wrote: »
    I was happy enough with last night.

I think its fine that the 1985 mystery remained a mystery. Very satisfactory ending to the Katy case, and nice twist with Rosalind revealing Robs true identity and twisting the knife.

The whole Lexi story was annoying, much weaker and the whole random doppleganger assuming her old undercover identity was lame and too far fetched.

I'd have perferred a 4 parter just focused on Knocknaree. Mixing the 2 books was probably the biggest flaw of the whole thing.

In the scene where Cassie is clearing out her aunt's house & stays back to call Lexi, they should've made her appear as an adult instead of still being a kid. then having that lexi getting involved with the students purposely

I thought it was good overall. I initially watched the first 4 episodes just after they aired but decided to stop and wait for them all to be released. Watching week to week is far too annoying if you're anyway interested in a show

The poster asking above, Frank found a stone with the erl-king carved on it which he calls the baby snatcher.
    More Danish & German folklore than Irish
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Erlking

I think Nidge has reached saturation point..

I look forward to a gritty Irish drama without one of the love/hate crowd in it..

• Advertisement

Jesus..talk about running a show into the ground in the last episode..

This is like a microcosm of feckin Game of Thrones all over again..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭Decuc500

I found this a very frustrating show overall. It was lacking a spark and never really got going.

Cramming two books into one 8 hour show was a bad idea. The narrative just wasn’t very clear. The (non) resolution was very unsatisfactory.
    Sometimes an ambiguous ending can suit a tv show or film but not in this case. It just came across as trying to be too clever.

I did enjoy Sarah Greene’s performance so it wasn’t a complete waste of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,828 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

It was like watching a Scooby Doo episode. I was waiting for the wolf to be caught and the costume headpiece pulled off revealing the guy in the blue tracksuit.
    If it was't for those darned kids...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭SozBbz

batistuta9 wrote: »
    In the scene where Cassie is clearing out her aunt's house & stays back to call Lexi, they should've made her appear as an adult instead of still being a kid. then having that lexi getting involved with the students purposely

Nah, I have to disagree.

Don't get me wrong, I found the whole doppleganger/coincidence thing seriously farfetched and annoying (I was rolling my eyes hard at that point), but if it had actually gone fully into the supernatural realm of an imaginary twin come to life, it would have turned me off completely.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,935 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Kept with it. Wasn't for me at all. Something was missing within it all that didnt grab me enough to actually enjoy it. Glad its over.

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭The Jman

I think I'm simple. I'm halfway through the season and haven't a clue what's goin on!!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

The boyfriend is too good for her!!

It reminded me of a book you’d read on holidays to pass the time based on a “what are the chances you had a doppelgänger and you’re a cop”. You’d finish it , think it was shîte, hear there’s a second book out and think better of buying it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

razorblunt wrote: »
    The boyfriend is too good for her!!

Why was he so cheerful meeting her off the boat, he must have realised what she was there for? A bizarre moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Very disappointed with this in the end, it had a lot of potential and the acting was good I thought but it tried to be too clever with the different stories going on and in the end it was a flop. Haven't read the books but surely they would have been better off focusing on one of them at a time rather than trying to intertwine both.

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Full_Circle_81

strandroad wrote: »
    Why was he so cheerful meeting her off the boat, he must have realised what she was there for? A bizarre moment.

I thought this was a bit odd too. Considering he "detected" she'd be there, he must have known why she'd gone too. Keeping it classy Cassie!

They may have had their reasons, but I thought both main characters turned into unlikable monsters halfway through the show and it just put me off both of them completely. Nearly felt more sympathy for the nutty killers by the end!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭riddles

Are two ways mirrors a real thing in police stations? The daughter seemed very convinced the whole team would be looking on. If she was going to rebel perhaps there were a lot less sinister and convoluted ways to go about it. The series was painful.

riddles wrote: »
    Are two ways mirrors a real thing in police stations? The daughter seemed very convinced the whole team would be looking on.

I guess that if you see a large mirror in an interview room you can safely assume it's a two way one.
    riddles wrote: »
    If she was going to rebel perhaps there were a lot less sinister and convoluted ways to go about it. The series was painful.

If I remember it right her motives in the book were slightly different, she hated Katy's success and couldn't bear her leaving for London. She'd been long term poisoning Katy by giving her a bleach solution to drink, to sabotage her dancing, but Katy realised and stood up to her so she had to be punished.

If I remember it right her motives in the book were slightly different, she hated Katy's success and couldn't bear her leaving for London. She'd been long term poisoning Katy by giving her a bleach solution to drink, to sabotage her dancing, but Katy realised and stood up to her so she had to be punished.

You see, now this would have been more understandable..For her to go from innocent grieving sister to this sinister evil psychopath so quickly was what was so bad about it..

It was like they were going "Ha..bet you weren't expecting that!!" a bit too much towards the end..

You see, now this would have been more understandable..For her to go from innocent grieving sister to this sinister evil psychopath so quickly was what was so bad about it..

It was like they were going "Ha..bet you weren't expecting that!!" a bit too much towards the end..

Dunno... I thought it was signposted very well and a viable option from the start. Cassie had her in her sights immediately, but she got distracted. Rosalind was overplaying this sweet innocent face later too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭Living Off The Splash

Was this on for 6 episodes or something......a wasted 6 hours of my life........crap ending....pure cop out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,036 ✭✭✭Bredabe

My resident fan tells me its because he loves her and respects her decisions.
    I've always had issues with how time is shown within each section, for instance, had long enough past that its was possibly not his baby?

That said, we were well led to assuming the clinic was a termination facility, but I didnt see anything to confirm/deny that. Especially when she had the lexi's ashes so soon after.

"Have you ever wagged your tail so hard you fell over"?-Brod Higgins.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,982 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Bredabe wrote: »
    My resident fan tells me its because he loves her and respects her decisions.
    I've always had issues with how time is shown within each section, for instance, had long enough past that its was possibly not his baby?

That said, we were well led to assuming the clinic was a termination facility, but I didnt see anything to confirm/deny that. Especially when she had the lexi's ashes so soon after.

I'd assumed (maybe incorrectly) that the baby was Rob's, the clinic was definitely a termination clinic, and that the ashes were her baby's....

How or why would she have "Lexi's" ashes, and bring them to England??

Although, there was something written on the box she took the ashes from, I forgot to rewind and check what it was - was that a clue as to whose they were? I seem to be the only one not sure they were the baby's!

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    I'd assumed (maybe incorrectly) that the baby was Rob's, the clinic was definitely a termination clinic, and that the ashes were her baby's....

Although, there was something written on the box she took the ashes from, I forgot to rewind and check what it was - was that a clue as to whose they were? I seem to be the only one not sure they were the baby's!

I thought it was the baby’s at first but written on the box was Jane Doe which led me to believe it was an unknown case

HeidiHeidi wrote: »

"Jane Doe", definitely Lexie's. She wanted a sea burial for her it seems.

And it was a termination clinic, what else with the upset young women and the ferry?

• Advertisement

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    I thought it was the baby’s at first but written on the box was Jane Doe which led me to believe it was an unknown case

Also not to be gross but it would only be a pinch of ashes otherwise.

Advertisement