Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Violent Protests In Hong Kong.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34 iamgroot

Yurt! wrote: »
    The KMT were/are Chinese nationalists and were part of the great wave of nationalist movements of the 20th century.

*Chinese* nationlism, not Taiwanese. You know the history of the KMT right? Sun Yay Sen etc? And that there is an (ersatz) KMT on the mainland also?

yea of course. All I was doing was pointing out that the 'nationalists' in this context refers to the KMT. Noone refers to the DPP as the 'nationalists' because that would be confusing.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

iamgroot wrote: »
    yea of course. All I was doing was pointing out that the 'nationalists' in this context refers to the KMT

There is a Taiwanese nationalism. It was clear that was what he was referring to.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 iamgroot

There is a Taiwanese nationalism. It was clear that was what he was referring to.

Ok so from now on ill be referring to sinn fein as the 'unionist party' and that will be really clear when I do that. It wont be confusing at all. Obviously they are Irish unionists you see.

1. Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Ok so from now on ill be referring to sinn fein as the 'unionist party' and that will be really clear when I do that. It wont be confusing at all. Obviously they are Irish unionists you see.

If you like. But there is a very obvious contemporary Taiwanese nationalism. And the KMT is a legacy party of the Chinese nationalist movement, hence their name. I think you may be the one getting confused here.

He/she didn't refer to them as *the* nationalist party. He/she said 'the more nationalist-inclined' referencing Taiwanese nationalism/independence.

1. Registered Users Posts: 34 iamgroot

If you like. But there is a very obvious contemporary Taiwanese nationalism. And the KMT is a legacy party of the Chinese nationalist movement, hence their name. I think you may be the one getting confused here.

He/she didn't refer to them as *the* nationalist party. He/she said 'the more nationalist-inclined' referencing Taiwanese nationalism/independence.

Ok so I'll refer to sinn fein as 'the more unionist inclined party'. As there clearly is a contemporary Irish unionisim.

I dont see why I am confused when I point out that the party that are called 'the nationalists' are the nationalists, thats what they are called.

2. Advertisement
      3. Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Ok so I'll refer to sinn fein as 'the more unionist inclined party'. As there clearly is a contemporary Irish unionisim.

I dont see why I am confused when I point out that the party that are called 'the nationalists' are the nationalists, thats what they are called.

He/she never called the DPP *the nationalist party*, he said that they were more 'nationalist inclined party', which in the Taiwanese context is completely accurate.

The early-20th century Chinese nationalist tradition from which KMT name derives doesn't correlate to the Taiwanese nationalist / soft-independance stance of the DPP.

You were playing gotcha, when they were actually pretty on the button with what they posted.

As for Sinn Fein, you can call them the winged-pink elephant party if you like, it has nothing to do with Taiwan and you're dancing on the head of a pin.

4. Registered Users Posts: 34 iamgroot

He/she never called the DPP *the nationalist party*, he said that they were more 'nationalist inclined party', which in the Taiwanese context is completely accurate.

The early-20th century Chinese nationalist tradition from which KMT name derives doesn't correlate to the Taiwanese nationalist / soft-independance stance of the DPP.

You were playing gotcha, when they were actually pretty on the button with what they posted.

As for Sinn Fein, you can call them the winged-pink elephant party if you like, it has nothing to do with Taiwan and you're dancing on the head of a pin.

Yes you are totally correct. The DPP - who don't refer to themselves as the nationalists - and who don't tend to wave the national flag so much when election campaigning, are the 'more nationalist inclined party'. Meanwhile the KMT who do refer to themselves as the nationalists, and who wave the national flag prominently at their election rallies are less nationalistically inclined. Its all so clear now. Thank you.

5. Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Yes you are totally correct. The DPP - who don't refer to themselves as the nationalists - and who don't tend to wave the national flag so much when election campaigning, are the 'more nationalist inclined party'. Meanwhile the KMT who do refer to themselves as the nationalists, and who wave the national flag prominently at their election rallies are less nationalistically inclined. Its all so clear now. Thank you.

Taiwanese nationalism. Google. Learn.

6. Registered Users Posts: 34 iamgroot

Taiwanese nationalism. Google. Learn.

Irish unionism, duck duck go, cleverise yourself

7. Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Irish unionism, duck duck go, cleverise yourself

"The Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) is a Taiwanese nationalist and liberal political party in Taiwan.."

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Democratic_Progressive_Party

8. Advertisement
      9. Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭dwayneshintzy

10. Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

One country two systems well and truly dead if this gets imposed, which it likely will.

Another cycle of mass-protests is on the way. The current iteration of the CCP truly are world class dunderheads.

11. Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Pretty serious move by Beijing, they'll basically label any protester as a terrorist and lock them up

12. Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭dwayneshintzy

13. Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Just saw Pompeos move, Beijing supposed to be furious.

Things are escalating quickly in Hong Kong, footage today of police taking school children away and now the legislature is trying to ram through a new law to force schoolchildren to sing the Chinese national anthem every day. Any mocking or booing of the Chinese national anthem now in Hong Kong will attract a 3 year prison sentence.

14. Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

There was talk of the uk considering offering refuge for many over there, might'nt be a bad idea considering historic factors.

The funniest thing about HK is that (along with the various Arab springs): 'technology' (social media, secure messaging) was seen as a welcome aid - to freedom and expression.

As of now, in HK and across the Arab world, even China itself, that is starting to look like the opposite. 180 degree role reversal. Technology will become their oppressor.

15. Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭dwayneshintzy

The anthem law doesn't deal with forcing students to sing it daily, only with punishments for causing offense to it.

16. Registered Users Posts: 2,162 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

Police have been well prepared for the new waves of protests. Blocking off access to areas where large gatherings are likely and where government is meeting. If this is going to be the police strategy in preventing protests, and giving no outlet for demonstrations, then I dread to think of the only alternatives left for the pro-dems to show their discontent.

17. Closed Accounts Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭2u2me

A lot of people couldn't believe they were just abandoned.

Dominic Raab offers to welcome in Hong Kong residents if Beijing doesn't scrap new security laws for the territory.

Foreign secretary unwilling to let a trade deal with soon to be biggest economy get in the way with standing up for British principles and values.

Good on him. China furious.

18. Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭dwayneshintzy

As far as I can tell, it's not a very practical solution from the UK and seems to be more of a PR exercise than anything. Could be wrong, but it seems it will actually be a renewable 12 month visa (that may prove costly), and Hong Kongers coming over may not even be free to work.

Also, tonight's vigil will be available online; https://hka8964.wordpress.com/2020/06/02/6431clv/

19. Advertisement
      20. Closed Accounts Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭2u2me

As far as I can tell, it's not a very practical solution from the UK and seems to be more of a PR exercise than anything.

That just seems odd considering they have brexit to deal with and a trade deal to strike with China. Why poke the bear unnecessarily?

If this is true they have a lot to lose and little to gain.

21. Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭dwayneshintzy

I'm not sure, but the way it's being reported by some is as a "path to citizenship". If you look into it, that path is quite convoluted and costly.

22. Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭pauldla

I'm not sure, but the way it's being reported by some is as a "path to citizenship". If you look into it, that path is quite convoluted and costly.

A very interesting article from Foreign Policy, describing the situation and its intricacies.

https://foreignpolicy.com/2020/06/03/hong-kong-british-citizenship-bno-empire-nationality/

23. Closed Accounts Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭2u2me

Yuan Yi Zhu's article is not without bias. He says this is about the 'legacy of empire' when in fact, I believe it may just be the UK applying whatever pressure they can, willing to bite the bullet and stand up for what's right.

Something they eventually did with the Ugandan Asians, as much as he makes out they didn't want to help (You could argue the same thing before this week with the UK). Any Ugandan Asians that didn't emigrate to the UK found home in Canada, Kenya or India.

The US are also furiously scrambling to see what political pressure they can apply to Hong Kong given this new security bill, aren't they considering removing the special trade status of Hong Kong?

24. Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

how much looting was involved in the hong kong ptotests

25. Closed Accounts Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭2u2me

They 'looted' their parliament, removed the Chinese flag and raised the British flag.

26. Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

From what Ive read the Foreign Office are playng a game of brinkmanship with Beijing. One statement said that around 800,000 would be entitled to a passport, another said it could be up to three million. London wants to make Beijing stop and think about their actions and one tool is a perceived or potential threat of a brain drain and a mass exodus of citizens from HK to the UK.

I cant see it happening in any case especially against the backdrop of Brexit and the populace there tired of constant immigration plus the Covid economic fall out on top. Domnic Raab is just posturing in floating these ideas, there will be little to no follow through.

The situation in the US at the moment also gives Beijing political cover to do as they please in HK with these sedition laws. Nonetheless Trump is under pressure so Id expect some lash outs at China to be incoming very soon, it riles up his base.

27. Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭dwayneshintzy

how much looting was involved in the hong kong ptotests
        Very little, a few isolated cases just. Lots and lots of businesses smashed up though, there was just a point made to take nothing.

And 2u2me, think we'd just have to agree to disagree on the motives of Johnson, Raab, Patel, et al in any path to citizenship. I don't think they'll do anything out of the goodness of their hearts.

28. Closed Accounts Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭2u2me

And 2u2me, think we'd just have to agree to disagree on the motives of Johnson, Raab, Patel, et al in any path to citizenship. I don't think they'll do anything out of the goodness of their hearts.

That's fair enough. In the beginning of this thread people were complaining that the UK were not offering citizenship for the HongKongers, I was merely adding that this has now changed.

Our opinions on why surely can differ.

29. Advertisement
      30. Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭pauldla

2u2me wrote: »
        Yuan Yi Zhu's article is not without bias. He says this is about the 'legacy of empire' when in fact, I believe it may just be the UK applying whatever pressure they can, willing to bite the bullet and stand up for what's right.

Something they eventually did with the Ugandan Asians, as much as he makes out they didn't want to help (You could argue the same thing before this week with the UK). Any Ugandan Asians that didn't emigrate to the UK found home in Canada, Kenya or India.

The US are also furiously scrambling to see what political pressure they can apply to Hong Kong given this new security bill, aren't they considering removing the special trade status of Hong Kong?

It's this 'legacy of empire' that allows the UK a mechanism to offer eventual citizenship for BN(O), is it not? I'm not clear what bias you are referring to?

Advertisement