Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE Investigates programme on greyhound racing industry

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭klaaaz

I own dogs myself. Some of which sleep in my own bed. The snoring is extreme but I don't have much choice only to tolerate it.

You're welcome to refute the stereotype of the blue haired, repeal jumper wearing, flat white sipping, love Island watching, atheist loon any time. But none of you have.

I'm arguing on an assumption that has still to be refuted.

And you're still hypocrites if you think killing a child is fine but a dog going around in circles is cruel.

You just stereotype the vast majority of the population to love dogs.

Oh, aren't you the one who never heard of the the IGB's IRGT yet so defensive of dog racing? Such ignorance.

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Ruraldweller56

klaaaz wrote: »
    You just stereotype the vast majority of the population to love dogs.

Oh, aren't you the one who never heard of the the IGB's IRGT yet so defensive of dog racing? Such ignorance.

Who said I hadn't heard of it? Lads honestly you guys are making this **** up as you go along?

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭CiarraiAbu2

Klaaaz, of course there are arseholes in Greyhound racing and the sooner they are weeded out the better. I keep one dog, I race him and I rehome him and than I get another, I don't make money out of it and never will.

I would never be able to buy a horse (to be honest I couldn't afford the weekly trading fees) which are from 55 to 75 per day. Greyhounds were always the working man's racer.

Get rid of the likes of me and all your left with are about 5 tracks owned by bookies with large trainers.

The problem is you want a ban, it will never be banned with you just end up with bags meetings, ( meetings run by bookies).

You cant go through life thinking it's black or white, there is always some grey. If you think all the anti's are snow-white than your fooling no one but yourself, I don't think even the others think that.

Klaaaz, of course there are arseholes in Greyhound racing and the sooner they are weeded out the better. I keep one dog, I race him and I rehome him and than I get another, I don't make money out of it and never will.

I would never be able to buy a horse (to be honest I couldn't afford the weekly trading fees) which are from 55 to 75 per day. Greyhounds were always the working man's racer.

Get rid of the likes of me and all your left with are about 5 tracks owned by bookies with large trainers.

The problem is you want a ban, it will never be banned with you just end up with bags meetings, ( meetings run by bookies).

You cant go through life thinking it's black or white, there is always some grey. If you think all the anti's are snow-white than your fooling no one but yourself, I don't think even the others think that.

Apart from one big guy in Kerry (you most likely know who I'm on about) most do it as a hobby and a loss making exercise.

Maybe one day they might get lucky.

The likes of Klaaaz will never get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭klaaaz

Who said I hadn't heard of it? Lads honestly you guys are making this **** up as you go along?

It was you who asked about rehoming a greyhound?

The problem is the sheer scale of overbreeding and killing of young healthy dogs in their thousands for a subsidised gambling industry which means the majority of greyhound owners don't give a flying feck about their dogs.
    Apart from one big guy in Kerry (you most likely know who I'm on about) most do it as a hobby and a loss making exercise.

Maybe one day they might get lucky.

The likes of Klaaaz will never get it.

I know who that big guy in Kerry is. Where is the condemnation from within the dog racing community of the abuses of dogs committed by the owners/trainers?? It's silent.

• Advertisement

The problem is the sheer scale of overbreeding and killing of young healthy dogs in their thousands for a subsidised gambling industry which means the majority of greyhound owners don't give a flying feck about their dogs.

I know who that big guy in Kerry is. Where is the condemnation from within the dog racing community of the abuses of dogs committed by the owners/trainers?? It's silent.

Klaaaz, there you go again majority, would you PM me the name of the guy in Kerry one of ye.

Yes. I'm not quite sure of the best channels. Seems to me like taking one from a hobbyist would be best. Animal shelters might say otherwise. Blue haired loons might say otherwise. What ever is best

Klaaaz, there you go again majority, would you PM me the name of the guy in Kerry one of ye.

Ya exactly

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭xckjoo

Very sensible post. If every owner was of a similar mindset to yourself I'd probably still go to races :D. I said it before, but I don't have a problem with greyhound racing in general. Just that there's some horrendous abuse that's been ignored by the IGB for years and it can't be allowed to continue. Would definitely rather see reform than banning, but would also need to be convinced it'll actually work.

Can you explain the bit in bold a bit more? Do you mean that if it was banned legally it would just continue illegally or is it something else?

Yes. I'm not quite sure of the best channels. Seems to me like taking one from a hobbyist would be best. Animal shelters might say otherwise. Blue haired loons might say otherwise. What ever is best

I'd lean toward getting one from a shelter purely because the hobbyist will probably go to the effort of properly rehoming the dog anyway. The shelter probably needs you more, so to speak. But either way you'll probably end up with a cracking dog.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

It seems that a minority of people are happy with public funding going to greyhound racing.

If those of you who love your hounds want to keep it up as a hobby, that's fair enough, but the industry as it stands is corrupt and quite frankly disgraceful. I don't trust it to reform, so pull the public funding and let it scale back based on those who are just doing it for the love of the hobby.

Just imagine what the ISPCA and other animal rescues could do with that kind of funding a week. We should re-direct the money to them and then it can be used to tackle other issues with animal welfare in Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,904 ✭✭✭✭anewme

xckjoo wrote: »
    Very sensible post. If every owner was of a similar mindset to yourself I'd probably still go to races :D. I said it before, but I don't have a problem with greyhound racing in general. Just that there's some horrendous abuse that's been ignored by the IGB for years and it can't be allowed to continue. Would definitely rather see reform than banning, but would also need to be convinced it'll actually work.

Can you explain the bit in bold a bit more? Do you mean that if it was banned legally it would just continue illegally or is it something else?

I'd lean toward getting one from a shelter purely because the hobbyist will probably go to the effort of properly rehoming the dog anyway. The shelter probably needs you more, so to speak. But either way you'll probably end up with a cracking dog.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I did not believe that poster was being genuine with the request to rehome a dog.

What was the comment "I like the brindle one"......came across as sarcastic.

anewme wrote: »
    Maybe I'm wrong, but I did not believe that poster was being genuine with the request to rehome a dog.

What was the comment "I like the brindle one"......came across as sarcastic.
    I assume he's being genuine. Don't see a reason not to. Seems to have more issue with who is doing the protesting than what they're protesting :D
    Maybe I just empathise with his love of brindle coloured dogs :pac:

It seems that a minority of people are happy with public funding going to greyhound racing.

If those of you who love your hounds want to keep it up as a hobby, that's fair enough, but the industry as it stands is corrupt and quite frankly disgraceful. I don't trust it to reform, so pull the public funding and let it scale back based on those who are just doing it for the love of the hobby.

Just imagine what the ISPCA and other animal rescues could do with that kind of funding a week. We should re-direct the money to them and then it can be used to tackle other issues with animal welfare in Ireland.
    My ideal would probably be the IGB being turned into some kind of greyhound trust whos primary objective would be the welfare of the greyhound breed and the promotion of them as a beloved animal. Races etc. would fall under that second part. I guess I mean make the racing more amateur where people do it for the love of it rather than to make as much money as possible. I assume most people in this thread with racing greyhounds are already in that category. I can understand why they love it even if it's not something that I'd be likely to ever get into myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

My ideal would probably be the IGB being turned into some kind of greyhound trust whos primary objective would be the welfare of the greyhound breed and the promotion of them as a beloved animal. Races etc. would fall under that second part.

While that also has merit, I wouldn't trust the IGB to do it. The way things have been done to date doesn't inspire confidence.

I definitely agree with you on the amateur racing - people can keep their hobby but it will be a hobby instead of an industry. Public funds should have no place in propping it up.

I'd personally prefer if there wasn't greyhound racing at all but I accept that for some it is a way of life.

I assume he's being genuine. Don't see a reason not to. Seems to have more issue with who is doing the protesting than what they're protesting :D

Actually I like the brindle one.

I'd have one in a heartbeat. The only qualm I'd have is with work. We already have two non greyhound dogs and they spend a lot of time in kennels.

I'll have to think long and hard about it.

Pretty much to be honest. I was kind of happy that program was made if it helps to clean up the industry some bit. I could tell you stories about things that weren't shown in the program at all. But one thing at a time for now.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Choc Chip

Actually I like the brindle one.

I'd have one in a heartbeat. The only qualm I'd have is with work. We already have two non greyhound dogs and they spend a lot of time in kennels.

I'll have to think long and hard about it.

I have a brindle and white foster grey and he's the softest, most tactile but delicate dog in the world. I adore him. They're more like cats than dogs, and I think that most people who dont want to do work/sports with their dog should consider a grey.

I dont think he'd do well in kennels. He'd survive, but pretty much his favourite thing in the entire world is to be upside down on the sofa with his legs in the air, snoozing.

The main benefit with going the rescue route is knowing how a dog might do living in a home rather than being kennelled, if that's how they've been kept before.

Choc Chip wrote: »
    I have a brindle and white foster grey and he's the softest, most tactile but delicate dog in the world. I adore him. They're more like cats than dogs, and I think that most people who dont want to do work/sports with their dog should consider a grey.

I dont think he'd do well in kennels. He'd survive, but pretty much his favourite thing in the entire world is to be upside down on the sofa with his legs in the air, snoozing.

The main benefit with going the rescue route is knowing how a dog might do living in a home rather than being kennelled, if that's how they've been kept before.

If going down the adoption route, owners are advised to house train the dogs while waiting for a placement. That applies to IGB’s adoption group and rescues. And, yes. You know that you’ve succeeded when they lie, as the late Bottler would say, “It’s 4 legs cocked up in the air agus an bolg in ard leis”

Choc Chip wrote: »

Was in the DSPCA this evening. Seen some lovely dogs there.

There was a greyhound with a small piece of its jaw missing but was in good shape apart from that. Very sad.

• Advertisement

Was in the DSPCA this evening. Seen some lovely dogs there.

There was a greyhound with a small piece of its jaw missing but was in good shape apart from that. Very sad.

This one. This was it. Really nice dog.

https://www.dspca.ie/adopt/happy/

Shes beautiful.

That’s not a greyhound.

That’s not a greyhound.

Thought looked more like a hound myself

Says Lurcher / collie cross on her description.

Lovely little dog.

That’s not a greyhound.

It is its a lurcher a form of a greyhound

It is its a lurcher a form of a greyhound

Is it entered in the greyhound stud book?

Is it entered in the greyhound stud book?

God I wouldn't imagine so. I couldn't picture her 28.50 anytime soon. No more than my pug would

God I wouldn't imagine so. I couldn't picture her 28.50 anytime soon. No more than my pug would

Ergo, she’s a mongrel. A lurcher. Sorry if I’m being pedantic, but I’m a stickler for detail!

Ergo, she’s a mongrel. A lurcher. Sorry if I’m being pedantic, but I’m a stickler for detail!

Well hopefully someone takes it regardless. I think the chin would put people off.

But I do accept where you're coming from.

• Advertisement

Shes not an IT.

Her name is Happy and she will make a lovely pet for the right home.

Advertisement