Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE Investigates programme on greyhound racing industry

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 693 ✭✭✭The Satanist

I agree that it's wrong, of course. The allegations made by the RoT organisers (or whoever it was) didn't provide any evidence to support their claims.
    Just like a certain Vet on a tv program?

Knock yourself out: https://www.bai.ie/en/viewers-listeners/complaints/

Already done

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭klaaaz

There's obviously a campaign originating in Ireland. The pro side continue making stupid claims that Grey2k and other groups outside Ireland are paying for people to fly here to attend protests. They alleged that protesters at the derby were being paid €100 to attend. And then they have to beg their mates in the UK to make childish threats on Facebook. Desperation and delusion :)

They abused staff at the Buswells hotel, typical pro racer thuggery from those mafia types living off the taxpayer. Not surprising their behaviour coming from the killers of thousands of dogs.

klaaaz wrote: »
    They abused staff at the Buswells hotel, typical pro racer thuggery from those mafia types living off the taxpayer. Not surprising their behaviour coming from the killers of thousands of dogs.

Have you proof of that?

Meanwhile, back in trainer land...

https://www.rte.ie/news/connacht/2019/1002/1080703-greyhounds-loughrea-court/
    A Galway greyhound trainer facing over 40 summonses for allegedly being in possession of controlled animal remedies, including steroids, has appeared before Loughrea District Court.

Gerry Holian, of Raheen, Athenry, is being prosecuted by the Department of Agriculture, Food and the Marine for impeding department officers by giving false information on the origin of the drugs and to being in possession of a variety of animal remedies at his premises without authorisation and against European Commission regulations on dates in February, March and April of last year.

Among the remedies seized by department officials from Mr Holian were Stanozol, Rexogin, Aquazolol, Calm P, 4 Fillies and Drive, substances with androgenic action, some of them steroids.

In the absence of State Solicitor Thomas McLoughlin, Mr Holian's solicitor, Angela Dempsey, asked for statements in relation to the case against her client.

She further informed the court that her client had sought information under the Freedom of Information Act to find out how RTÉ got information for an investigative programme aired by the broadcaster last June.

That RTÉ Investigates programme reported on the number of suspected illegal animal remedies that had been seized nationwide in raids by the department, including raids on Mr Holian's property.

She said it was worrying that the broadcaster could use information that could only have been given to it by the department.

She further added that the department now claimed that it had never received her client's requests for information under the Freedom of Information Act.

Judge James Faughnan told Ms Dempsey that had nothing to do with the case before the court and said he too wanted to see statements and wanted to be addressed on jurisdiction to establish if the case would be heard in the district court.

He adjourned the jurisdiction matter to 4 December and put the case back until 12 February next year for a plea or to arrange a date for hearing.

Mr Holian, who was present at the court, is regarded as one of the country's successful greyhound trainers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭knipex

ICC are self funded .NO state funding. The ICC are the only organisation who have the manpower,knowledge and are willing to net hares and vaccinate the Irish Hare which is a protected species and thrives in areas where coursing is present.

I have asked this before but ...

What is the benefit of vaccinating a random number of wild hares ?? You will never achieve herd immunity and the very act of catching and releasing hares will help spread the infection...

Is there any organisation actually promoting this idea ? What is the scientific basis for the idea ??

Is there even a proven vaccine for this strain of RHD2 ??

Have you proof of that?

https://www.thejournal.ie/greyhounds-around-the-globe-cancelled-dublin-threats-4833679-Oct2019/
    The hotel said it has been “inundated with crank and abusive calls” with members of staff being threatened, placing the establishment in “an extraordinary situation which cannot be justified”.

Pro racers showing their true colours.

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭CiarraiAbu2

Klaaz, whats the difference between the above and the the abuse received by the contestants in the Rose of Tralee.

I agree such behavior is unacceptable. As is the abuse suffered by racegoers and supporters, sponsors etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭CiarraiAbu2

knipex wrote: »
    I have asked this before but ...

What is the benefit of vaccinating a random number of wild hares ?? You will never achieve herd immunity and the very act of catching and releasing hares will help spread the infection...

Is there any organisation actually promoting this idea ? What is the scientific basis for the idea ??

Is there even a proven vaccine for this strain of RHD2 ??

Catching, vacinating and releasing won't spread the infection, other countries have had 70 percent mortality.

There is a proven vaccine

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Ruraldweller56

I agree such behavior is unacceptable. As is the abuse suffered by racegoers and supporters, sponsors etc.

A guy on Niall Boylan today was saying that liberals were joking and laughing on some Facebook group about harassing sponsors with emails and phone calls to the point where they were unable to go about their business.

As I alluded to earlier in the thread I'm highly sceptical about the motives behind this behaviour.

A guy on Niall Boylan today was saying that liberals were joking and laughing on some Facebook group about harassing sponsors with emails and phone calls to the point where they were unable to go about their business.

As I alluded to earlier in the thread I'm highly sceptical about the motives behind this behaviour.

The end game is a vegan society with no pets. No racing, horse or hound. How they reach their aim doesn’t matter. The fact that a few of them make millions in the process doesn’t matter either.

The end game is a vegan society with no pets. No racing, horse or hound. How they reach their aim doesn’t matter. The fact that a few of them make millions in the process doesn’t matter either.

Did you listen to it?

I'm not sure about the no pets bit. Pets seem to be a substitute for children from what I've seen from those people.

No fear of all those elephants in the room in the form of greyhound trainers and their illicit drugs going extinct anyway.

No fear of all those elephants in the room in the form of greyhound trainers and their illicit drugs going extinct anyway.

Eh? Try again in English maybe?

Ya'll keep ignoring the abundance of drugs in your "industry"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭knipex

Catching, vacinating and releasing won't spread the infection, other countries have had 70 percent mortality.

There is a proven vaccine

RHD2 has a significant environmental transmission risk, my understanding is far more so than RHD. (I suspect the longer environmental survival and lower mortality is linked but that's for another debate and research topic)

How can you say that catching and releasing hares wont spread the infection. If you catch once infected and non symptomatic hare you risk spreading it. You would need to impose strict bio-security rules. That would require significant equipment, and training.

Even if you could trap and vaccinate hares, what percentage of the population could you reach ?? 15% 25% ?? And every female will have 3 new litters every year.. none of which will have immunity and of those vaccinated approx 50% will die from other caused every year.

You will never reach vaccination rates high enough to even approach herd immunity..

The risk far far outweighs any potential benefit.

As for the proven vaccine. I have seen no efficacy data for the RHD2 vaccine against the strain found in Ireland. However the 2 version of the RHD2 vaccine in used in the UK an used on pet rabbits require boosters every 6 months for 1 and 12 months for the other..

So every hare you vaccinate will require a booster after 12 months or loose immunity..

Vaccinating wild hares is a fantasy and would have no scientific basis or benefit.

Did you listen to it?

I'm not sure about the no pets bit. Pets seem to be a substitute for children from what I've seen from those people.

I just listened back to it now. A good debate, I thought. Both sides got their say.

It’s Grey2k and their animal rights pals that are supporting a vegan no Animal, except in the wild agenda.

I just listened back to it now. A good debate, I thought. Both sides got their say.

It’s Grey2k and their animal rights pals that are supporting a vegan no Animal, except in the wild agenda.

So? (not that I totally agree with their mission)

They have a right to a meeting with elected TD's attending without abuse and the threat of violence directed at them(and hotel staff) by dog racers. We live in a democracy.

They have a right to a meeting with elected TD's attending without abuse and the threat of violence directed at them(and hotel staff) by dog racers. We live in a democracy.

Just like we have the right to attend a greyhound track and watch our and our friends greyhounds race without being intimidated by some who object to our legal activity.

• Advertisement

Just like we have the right to attend a greyhound track and watch our and our friends greyhounds race without being intimidated by some who object to our legal activity.

It's a democratic right to protest an immoral activity of killing dogs for fun. Protesters urging participants to reject animal cruelty is not intimidation.

FB-IMG-1570130470006.jpg
    A RED C opinion poll commissioned by the Irish Council Against Blood Sports (ICABS) and Greyhound Action Ireland (GAI) shows that two out of every three Irish adults agree that the government should stop funding greyhound racing.

The results of the poll, which was carried out between September 19th and 23rd, should increase pressure on the government to end its funding of an industry responsible for killing between 6,000 and 10,000 greyhounds every year simply because they can’t run fast enough.

Results of the RED C poll:

The Irish Government should stop funding greyhound racing

66% Agree
    16% Disagree
    18% Don't Know

Of those stating an opinion, 80% of these agree that the Irish Government should stop funding greyhound racing while 20% disagree with this.

At the recent Public Accounts Committee hearing attended by the Irish Greyhound Board (IGB), several TDs expressed their unhappiness at the scale of public funding of greyhound racing, an activity which continues to decline in popularity year on year. Among the facts singled out for particular mention at that hearing were the following:

- Greyhound racing gets €323,000 a week from the public purse - since 2001, more than a quarter of a billion euros has been granted to the Irish Greyhound Board, including €16.8 million for 2019.

- Attendance at greyhound meetings has fallen to an average of 319, down 19% in 2018 compared to 2017. The IGB has admitted that since the end of June when the PrimeTime Investigates programme lifted the lid on the horrific treatment of dogs in this industry, attendance has fallen by a further 20%.

- Turnover from racing has fallen dramatically in recent years, from €32.9 million in 2010 to €22.7 million in 2017.
    https://www.facebook.com/463547953760768/posts/2443708225744721/

Hopefully the government will finally listen to the vast majority of people and stop funding this cruelty.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,494 ✭✭✭jackboy

FB-IMG-1570130470006.jpg

Hopefully the government will finally listen to the vast majority of people and stop funding this cruelty.

Just another meaningless hatchet job.

jackboy wrote: »
    Just another meaningless hatchet job.

The vast majority of the public are dog lovers, we really don't like dogs being killed en masse for gambling fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,494 ✭✭✭jackboy

The vast majority of the public are dog lovers, we really don't like dogs being killed en masse for gambling fun.

The vast majority of greyhound owners are also dog lovers.

It's a democratic right to protest an immoral activity of killing dogs for fun. Protesters urging participants to reject animal cruelty is not intimidation.

Really? Peaceful protest, eh? Not what I’ve seen.

jackboy wrote: »
    The vast majority of greyhound owners are also dog lovers.

Not according to the IGB commissioned report as well as the rescues with thousands of dogs per year slaughtered for failing to win a race with the "lucky" ones dumped at the rescues often in horrible condition.

You know, same as I do, that’s not true. As said umpteem times, unaccounted for is a lot different from being killed.

Really? Peaceful protest, eh? Not what I’ve seen.

Yes it has been. I've seen(and some of it caught on video) dogs rights protesters physically and verbally assaulted mostly by "hard men", spat at, ridiculed on their personal characteristics offline and especially online, threatened that it's known where they live, their cars have been keyed etc. Just like a mafia threatening ordinary people who object to dogs being slaughtered for fun. That racer mafia threatened hotel staff too.

• Advertisement

Care to comment on this klaaaz?

Not that either is OK, but be honest. Who do you believe harasses who more? By default the answer should be pretty clear.

Advertisement