Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE Investigates programme on greyhound racing industry

Options

Comments

Discodog wrote: »
    So yet again we have owners not giving a care about where & to whom their dogs are sold.

The saddest part of all your responses is the denial. You never show one ounce of compassion.

By pointing out lies and impossibilities?

Greyhounds always were traded. Sold on to make room for younger ones. Would you refuse to sell a second hand car to someone just because you couldn’t be sure that they were decent people?

Those in denial are the poor innocents who believe all they saw in that RTÉ piece. Why not do as our Taoiseach suggested and make your own mind up.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,855 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Greyhounds always were traded. Sold on to make room for younger ones. Would you refuse to sell a second hand car to someone just because you couldn’t be sure that they were decent people?

Those in denial are the poor innocents who believe all they saw in that RTpiece. Why not do as our Taoiseach suggested and make your own mind up.

Not one single ounce of compassion. In your world it's far more important to find insignificant minor details, to back up your sport, than to feel compassion for a dog that was ill treated.

I am sure the industry line is that any unwanted dogs are rehomed. Good of you to confirm that they are sold off to any buyer.

You compare a living, feeling, sentient, creature to a car.

I made my mind up years ago. Nothing in any program is news to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,902 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Not one single ounce of compassion. In your world it's far more important to find insignificant minor details, to back up your sport, than to feel compassion for a dog that was ill treated.

I am sure the industry line is that any unwanted dogs are rehomed. Good of you to confirm that they are sold off to any buyer.

You compare a living, feeling, sentient, creature to a car.

I made my mind up years ago. Nothing in any program is news to me.

The photographs and video (confronting the owner) were very distressing. The dog was in a very poor condition. I would not post the links. The volunteers who pick up the pieces do an amazing job.

Those in denial are the poor innocents who believe all they saw in that RTÉ piece. Why not do as our Taoiseach suggested and make your own mind up.

Is this what they mean on the Christmas ads about giving money to the Greyhound Rehoming Fund?

If a dog is sold at a public sales, the seller has no say where they are sold to. That dog doesn’t appear to have raced anywhere, which isn’t surprising seeing as it’s a coursing bred one. Data protection doesn’t allow owners personal details be posted online.

Its clear from the post who the owners were and where the dog originated from and its Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Not one single ounce of compassion. In your world it's far more important to find insignificant minor details, to back up your sport, than to feel compassion for a dog that was ill treated.I am sure the industry line is that any unwanted dogs are rehomed. Good of you to confirm that they are sold off to any buyer.You compare a living, feeling, sentient, creature to a car. I made my mind up years ago. Nothing in any program is news to me.

True people buy and sell greyhounds. People also buy and sell all types of pets. And no seller - no matter how caring can guarantee always where an animal goes or if they will be sold on at a later date. And no it does not mean people do not care.

If there is so something wrong then by all means it should be dealt with - but it is absolute bs to try and beat all and sundry because someone is using the case of this dog which has been cruelly abused.

You may not like greyhound racing but it is little more than disingenuous where misinformation is used to exaggerate or denigrate others with what you refer to as "insignificant minor details".

anewme wrote: »
    Its clear from the post who the owners were and where the dog originated from and its Ireland.

And it's clear that some owners don't care what happens to their dogs - just like selling a used car.

But it's all misinformation. Fake news people, fake news. :rolleyes:

Now you get it! Don’t tell me that RTÉ had you fooled!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,494 ✭✭✭jackboy

A dog running 18 miles in 20 minutes. May qualify as fake news.

• Advertisement

Now you get it! Don’t tell me that RThad you fooled!

I have been around a long time. I used to reason, try to persuade, lobby etc. then I finally got it. There are & will always be people, who defend their interests & turn a blind eye to real events. They convince themselves that they hunt, kill, injure & abuse animals for a good cause rather than admitting that it gives them pleasure.

They deny every single piece of evidence because, to admit it, would condemn them to accepting cruelty. They can't show compassion because it would reveal hypocricy.

Neither group are going to change but gradually their practices will die out. There will be many more programs, discussions etc. RTE Investigates is available to all.

We will look back on Greyhound racing the same way we do with Bear baiting & Dog fighting.

jackboy wrote: »

No more than "There are no dead Greyhounds"

No more than "There are no dead Greyhounds"

Of course there are dead greyhounds!! They don’t live forever!!

Theres a video of the dog on the Vets Table shaking and panting in a poor condition and very distressed state. The dog is probably faking it as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,494 ✭✭✭jackboy

Theres a video of the dog on the Vets Table shaking and panting in a poor condition and very distressed state. The dog is probably faking it as well.

All you have to do is edit your post to take out the inaccuracies. It will make the post far more credible. I’m sure you know that the 18 miles in 20 minutes is an error. Attacking those that point that out is not doing your point any favors.

All you have to do is edit your post to take out the inaccuracies. It will make the post far more credible. I’m sure you know that the 18 miles in 20 minutes is an error. Attacking those that point that out is not doing your point any favors.

I'm not the original author of the post, so its not mine to edit.
    I've said that in my post.

The dog, from a known Irish name, was sold off like a piece of trash and has clearly had a poor quality of life and nutrition in Spain. The dog has been rescued by a UK Voluntary Charity, has had treatment and has has offers of a new home in the UK, when hopefully they make a full recovery.

I know you haven't seen the original post, videos and photos, but for me anyway, its not fake.

I do intend to contact IGB tomorrow with details of dog and owner and give them the links.

Is this what IGB mean by Greyhound rehoming?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭donkeykong5

I very happily paid my TV licence last week. Mainly thanks to rte investigates programme about the horrific cruelty inflicted on innocent greyhounds. After 3 years of constantly requesting Barry's tea to stop the sponsorship of this evil so called sport thanks to rte investigates they eventually did.

I'm not the original author of the post, so its not mine to edit.
    I've said that in my post.

The dog, from a known Irish name, was sold off like a piece of trash and has clearly had a poor quality of life and nutrition in Spain. The dog has been rescued by a UK Voluntary Charity, has had treatment and has has offers of a new home in the UK, when hopefully they make a full recovery.

I know you haven't seen the original post, videos and photos, but for me anyway, its not fake.

I do intend to contact IGB tomorrow with details of dog and owner and give them the links.

Is this what IGB mean by Greyhound rehoming?

How do you know that this is what happened? Maybe the dog became ill. It does happen. The suggestion that it ran 18 miles in 20 minutes is just ridiculous. It just goes to show how gullible some people are.

How do you know that this is what happened? Maybe the dog became ill. It does happen. The suggestion that it ran 18 miles in 20 minutes is just ridiculous. It just goes to show how gullible some people are.

Not gullible. The word is EVIL.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Is this from the post on facebook? It says she was dragged. Would that have killed the dog?

https://www.facebook.com/GreyhoundFriendsUk/

You have to scroll down about 10 posts.

• Advertisement

tuxy wrote: »
    Is this from the post on facebook? It says she was dragged. Would that have killed the dog?

https://www.facebook.com/GreyhoundFriendsUk/

You have to scroll down about 10 posts.

If you scroll down a bit further, you see the same photos but a different name. Is she Joy or Paloma? I noticed that her teeth were in pretty good condition for a supposedly abused dog.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

I think its safe to say we've all been around for a long time. I've seen enough to know that there are those who push their own agenda and dictate what everyone else should think and do. In the US PETA have an active campaign to wipe out pet ownership. Here we have one to stop any and everyone having racing greyhounds by painting all greyhound owners as the same. Whats next I wonder?

Tbh its a pity we have to bring to the debate the most extreme elements of the animal rights extremism as seen in the UK and elsewhere and notably the ever present use of misinformation. Unfortunatly there will always be some who try to denigrate anything they don't agree with no matter what.

If you scroll down a bit further, you see the same photos but a different name. Is she Joy or Paloma? I noticed that her teeth were in pretty good condition for a supposedly abused dog.

Do you think they may possibly have renamed the dog in Spain?The links are there to the dogs origin from Ireland.

Funny how despite a distressing video and poor conditioned dog, your only comment is that her teeth look ok.

My first observation was this is a dog who has not had a good life or any affection. I hope things pick up for her from here. Poor thing.

The IGB had a link to greyhounds having a great life. Someone asked about the Joy's background. Suffice to say, their question was removed.

Do you think they may possibly have renamed the dog in Spain?The links are there to the dogs origin from Ireland.

Funny how despite a distressing video and poor conditioned dog, your only comment is that her teeth look ok.

My first observation was this is a dog who has not had a good life or any affection. I hope things pick up for her from here. Poor thing.

It’s obvious that the bitch suffered a trauma of some sort. You can tell a lot about an animal by their teeth. I just noticed that they seemed pretty good for a supposedly abused animal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭MIKEKC

I very happily paid my TV licence last week. Mainly thanks to rte investigates programme about the horrific cruelty inflicted on innocent greyhounds. After 3 years of constantly requesting Barry's tea to stop the sponsorship of this evil so called sport thanks to rte investigates they eventually did.

I think the greyhound industry got off very light in that programme. They never showed the dogs being blooded

The IGB had a link to greyhounds having a great life. Someone asked about the Joy's background. Suffice to say, their question was removed.

Just remembering the old f...r who took the greyhound in to be shot. He waited outside for the poor dogs collar. Wonder what state the poor greyhounds teeth were in. Not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

I imagine it's possible for a dog to be well fed but abused at the same time.
    Right?

tuxy wrote: »
    I imagine it's possible for a dog to be well fed but abused at the same time.
    Right?

Didn't look well fed to me. Skinny, baldy mangey coat, poor eyes, no spirit. Thought it looked dreadfull.

Didn't look well fed to me. Skinny, baldy mangey coat, poor eyes, no spirit. Thought it looked dreadfull.

She DID look dreadful. That’s why I noticed her lovely clean teeth. It just didn’t add up.

• Advertisement

She DID look dreadful. That’s why I noticed her lovely clean teeth. It just didn’t add up.

My heart went out to her. Hope she gets a few final years peace in a loving home.

Advertisement