Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE Investigates programme on greyhound racing industry

Options

Comments

FACT. There hasn't been a case of EPO in ten years....if that vet had seen evidence of EPO use at his surgery why did he not report it to the relevant authorities?

Cos, it’s actually been closer to 15 years since EPO was last detected.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭deuces wild

Cos, it’s actually been closer to 15 years since EPO was last detected.

My bad...

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Ruraldweller56

Is the line about 500 dogs a year dying at the track accurate? I've never seen a dog dying at the track. Not once.

anewme wrote: »
    In fairness, you'd probably not pass the check.

Why

Is the line about 500 dogs a year dying at the track accurate? I've never seen a dog dying at the track. Not once.

I think that’s since 2015. It wasn’t unusual for a dog to be put down if it broke a leg. Nowadays that’s no longer the case. A dog is only put down if it’s beyond saving.

• Advertisement

I think that’s since 2015. It wasn’t unusual for a dog to be put down if it broke a leg. Nowadays that’s no longer the case. A dog is only put down if it’s beyond saving.

No I understand that. But on the track? Literally on the track?

klaaaz wrote: »
    Biased for telling the truth about the slaughter of thousands of dogs per year?

Over 500 dogs have died running for their lives on Irish tracks since 2015.

A person can make their own mind up whether to support the killing of dogs for this subsidised gambling "sport" or not.

On Irish tracks.

How? A pile up going around a bend?

I'd have thought numbers of people attending would be seriously impacted if they were seeing dogs dying right in front of them.

No I understand that. But on the track? Literally on the track?

Yes. At the tracks in all Ireland. Should a dog collapse or get injured on the track it’s carried off. There’s always a vet in attendance and they have a treatment room. Sometimes a dog will just collapse and die just like a human could.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭xckjoo

ICC are self funded .NO state funding.
    The ICC are the only organisation who have the manpower,knowledge and are willing to net hares and vaccinate the Irish Hare which is a protected species and thrives in areas where coursing is present.
    Great if they do. Some of the IGB funding can be used instead.

Can you point me towards where ICC outline their sources of funding? Can't seem to find anything.
    Other countries manage fine without coursing clubs. Not sure why we'd be different.

FACT. There hasn't been a case of EPO in ten years....if that vet had seen evidence of EPO use at his surgery why did he not report it to the relevant authorities?
    Based on the fact that they're still finding other doping drugs in greyhounds, that suggests that either 1) the EPO test is not effective or 2) that EPO has been dropped for other drugs. Can't comment on the vets findings or why they did or would not contact authorities. Anecdotally, I know a lot of vets and rescue groups that forgo reporting as previous experience found it didn't result in prosecution and the owners were then less likely to get the dog help or surrender the dog to the rescue instead of abandoning or killing it. Anecdotal of course, but so are most things in this thread.

ICC are a private club. They own a printing works, run the Stud Book, publish the Sporting Press newspaper, own Powers Town Park, oversee coursing meetings etc.

By NOT reporting wrongdoings means that they continue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭wardides

There are 13 dog meetings today, with an average of about 9 races per meet. That's 117 races. If every heat has 6 dogs, that is 702 dogs racing today. On a bloody Wednesday. The first race went off at 8.12am. This is the ****ing problem. Not shelbourne park on a saturday night. Not whether or not the RTE programme was biased or not. Not whether EPO had been found in dogs (which it has in the previous 5 years, just not in UK or Ireland).

You're absolutely deluded if you think that this industry is not on it's knees, and jumping to the tune of the gambling companies. It is not an Irish tradition. It is not a staple of Irish communities, or the center of peoples weekends. It has transformed into a greedy business where the welfare of Greyhounds has been placed at the bottom of the agenda.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Choc Chip

ICC are a private club. They own a printing works, run the Stud Book, publish the Sporting Press newspaper, own Powers Town Park, oversee coursing meetings etc.

I know this is really pernickety, but calling the ICC a private club bothers me. Outside of licencing law, i'm not aware of any legal definition of a "private" club, and I don't think the ICC would qualify if there was one.

Calling them a "private" club suggests they are a group of private individuals who have formed an association to further their own interests. The ICC is a Club brought into being by, and subject to the rules of, Irish law (their constitution is set out in the schedule to the Greyhound Industry Act 1958).

/pedantry

• Registered Users Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭donkeykong5

Great discussion on niall boylan classic hits 4fm about the horrific so called sport of greyhound racing at the moment. Cheers to the 46 thousand good living people who signed the petition against the murder and cruely handed out to the poor dogs.

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭CiarraiAbu2

Great discussion on niall boylan classic hits 4fm about the horrific so called sport of greyhound racing at the moment. Cheers to the 46 thousand good living people who signed the petition against the murder and cruely handed out to the poor dogs.

46,000 thousand signed a petition in this country, or was it one of these online petitions?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Yes. At the tracks in all Ireland. Should a dog collapse or get injured on the track it’s carried off. There’s always a vet in attendance and they have a treatment room. Sometimes a dog will just collapse and die just like a human could.

Because of racing clearly. Stress levels too high.

"Hotel cancels anti-greyhound racing conference after abuse received"

Dublin city hotel has cancelled a conference organised by national and international groups against greyhound racing due to treats and abuse the staff are receiving online and on the phone. Organisers are looking for an alternative venue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 693 ✭✭✭The Satanist

They're obviously desperate about keeping the truth hidden. Too late.

They're obviously desperate about keeping the truth hidden. Too late.

Grey2k are an American anti animal organization dedicated not only to the abolition of greyhound racing, but the owning of pets. The couple who owns it are millionaires thanks to donations towards their cause.
    Speakers were to include Ruth Coppingger and Paul Murphy with a break for a vegan lunch.

xckjoo wrote: »
    "Hotel cancels anti-greyhound racing conference after abuse received"

Dublin city hotel has cancelled a conference organised by national and international groups against greyhound racing due to treats and abuse the staff are receiving online and on the phone. Organisers are looking for an alternative venue.

Ya. That's how you'll get people on board alright.

Grey2k are an American anti animal organization dedicated not only to the abolition of greyhound racing, but the owning of pets. The couple who owns it are millionaires thanks to donations towards their cause.
    Speakers were to include Ruth Coppingger and Paul Murphy with a break for a vegan lunch.

Sounds boring af tbh. It's odd that you think it's best to try to silence them using threats and intimidation instead of reasoned debate.

• Advertisement

Sounds boring af tbh. It's odd that you think it's best to try to silence them using threats and intimidation instead of reasoned debate.

I don’t agree with silencing them. Though I doubt there’d be any reasoned debate there! People need hear what they have to say, scrutinize their accounts and make their own minds up.

I don’t agree with silencing them. Though I doubt there’d be any reasoned debate there! People need hear what they have to say, scrutinize their accounts and make their own minds up.

That begs the question about why the pro-racer crowd are using intimidation and threats, does it not? Most of the abuse is coming from abroad, from near identical Facebook posts.

Got any links? Had a quick look but couldn't see anything along the lines you're saying. Except for one blog site that seems slightly unhinged.

Dunno what the choice in lunch has to do with anything any more than choice in hair style. And that's coming from someone that isn't a vegan or vegetarian and doesn't have enough hair left to have any choice in its style :pac:

That begs the question about why the pro-racer crowd are using intimidation and threats, does it not? Most of the abuse is coming from abroad, from near identical Facebook posts.

If most of the abuse is coming from abroad, why blame Irish racegoers?

xckjoo wrote: »
    Got any links? Had a quick look but couldn't see anything along the lines you're saying. Except for one blog site that seems slightly unhinged.

Dunno what the choice in lunch has to do with anything any more than choice in hair style. And that's coming from someone that isn't a vegan or vegetarian and doesn't have enough hair left to have any choice in its style :pac:

No link, I’m afraid. If it’s posted again with new venue I’ll post it.

The reason I highlighted the vegan lunch is because it’s part of their aim. No animals except in the wild.

Whats the difference to what happened here and to what happened with the Rose of Tralee and the abuse sponsors get.
    PS either way is wrong.

Where were the negative comments posted

Whats the difference to what happened here and to what happened with the Rose of Tralee and the abuse sponsors get.
    PS either way is wrong.

I agree that it's wrong, of course. The allegations made by the RoT organisers (or whoever it was) didn't provide any evidence to support their claims.

If most of the abuse is coming from abroad, why blame Irish racegoers?

There's obviously a campaign originating in Ireland. The pro side continue making stupid claims that Grey2k and other groups outside Ireland are paying for people to fly here to attend protests. They alleged that protesters at the derby were being paid €100 to attend. And then they have to beg their mates in the UK to make childish threats on Facebook. Desperation and delusion :)

• Advertisement

I agree that it's wrong, of course. The allegations made by the RoT organisers (or whoever it was) didn't provide any evidence to support their claims.
    Just like a certain Vet on a tv program?

Advertisement