Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE Investigates programme on greyhound racing industry

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,902 ✭✭✭✭anewme

I work in a corporate office as do many of my friends and extended family. Haven’t heard of one Christmas Night at the dogs, not one.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,494 ✭✭✭jackboy

They love the money in their grubby little pockets

Most greyhound owners make no profit.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭wardides

Massive crowd in Shelbourne Park Saturday night for the annual Night Of Stars. Great to see.

Do us all a favour and instead of raising up this thread put it in a shelbourne park thread ðŸ‘

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,603 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

anewme wrote: »
    I work in a corporate office as do many of my friends and extended family. Haven’t heard of one Christmas Night at the dogs, not one.

They dropped leaflets into our place a few weeks ago.
    Straight into the bin.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,085 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

They love the money in their grubby little pockets

Grand bunch the owners. Two "prominent" owners doping their dogs. IGB happy that their enforcements working. What an awful industry. Trainers cheating left and right, on the taxpayers coin.

https://www.rte.ie/amp/1089159/

Btw googling igb rte every couple months is entertaining.

• Advertisement

Igotadose wrote: »
    What an awful industry. Trainers cheating left and right, on the taxpayers coin.

Of course such doping should not be tolerated. However, let’s be honest, all Irish sports that get funding from the taxpayer are rotten with doping.

Igotadose wrote: »
    Grand bunch the owners. Two "prominent" owners doping their dogs. IGB happy that their enforcements working. What an awful industry. Trainers cheating left and right, on the taxpayers coin.

https://www.rte.ie/amp/1089159/

Btw googling igb rte every couple months is entertaining.

I do believe that the second trainer mentioned is no longer involved in greyhounds. For accuracy, they were the dogs trainers, not owners and the tax money comes from a levy on betting, not PAYE etc.
    Yes, it is great that IGBs welfare investigations are working. You will note that these predate the RTÉ hatchet job.
    Those wishing to get greyhound racing banned did themselves no favours in leafleting households near greyhound stadia suggesting that they should join the protests outside the stadiums, getting the protesters an injunction on protesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭xckjoo

jackboy wrote: »
    Of course such doping should not be tolerated. However, let’s be honest, all Irish sports that get funding from the taxpayer are rotten with doping.
    There's a difference between someone deciding to dope to try and get an edge in their sport and doping up an animal for your own gains. They don't have a say in it.

I do believe that the second trainer mentioned is no longer involved in greyhounds. For accuracy, they were the dogs trainers, not owners and the tax money comes from a levy on betting, not PAYE etc.
    Yes, it is great that IGBs welfare investigations are working. You will note that these predate the RTÉ hatchet job.
    Those wishing to get greyhound racing banned did themselves no favours in leafleting households near greyhound stadia suggesting that they should join the protests outside the stadiums, getting the protesters an injunction on protesting.
    Money that could be just as easily spent elsewhere.

We should also note that the only reason one of the trainers was caught was because of a dog he trained testing positive in England. IGB don't seem to be too hot on the testing. Everything is fine until something is exposed and then it's instantly all in the past.

xckjoo wrote: »
    There's a difference between someone deciding to dope to try and get an edge in their sport and doping up an animal for your own gains. They don't have a say in it.

Yes, the difference is that the doping of humans is worse, obviously. The choice of human doping is not black and white, there are a lot of pressures. There has been a massive rise in teenagers doping now for rugby, all over the world.

Doping is a sports issue, not a greyhound issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭xckjoo

jackboy wrote: »
    Yes, the difference is that the doping of humans is worse, obviously. The choice of human doping is not black and white, there are a lot of pressures. There has been a massive rise in teenagers doping now for rugby, all over the world.

Doping is a sports issue, not a greyhound issue.
    Um. They ain't being forced to dope. They might decide to because they don't feel like they can succeed in the sport without it, but they are free to not participate in the sport at all and can live a full life without it (as the majority of us do). Free will, conscious thought and all that. The things that separates us from animals.

Rugby has it's own issues but that's for another thread. They're completely independent of one another. If one was banned tomorrow, it would have no effect on the other.

• Advertisement

Another greyhound trainer published in the latest revenue defaulters list yesterday.

Graham Holland

This guy had dogs test positive for cocaine too.

https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2019/1203/1096756-tax-defaulters-list/

Looks like 4 more Stadiums to close.

https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/four-of-16-greyhound-tracks-to-close-after-review-of-industrys-future-968914.html

Enniscorthy, Lifford, Longford, and Youghal.

Another 4 bite the dust.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭donkeykong5

Looks like 4 more Stadiums to close.

https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/four-of-16-greyhound-tracks-to-close-after-review-of-industrys-future-968914.html

Enniscorthy, Lifford, Longford, and Youghal.

Another 4 bite the dust.

Bloody brilliant. DELIGHTED

Bloody brilliant. DELIGHTED

With another 3 needing to close by 2022.

Numbers were dropping anyway, but the report found......

"The adverse publicity following the programme has had a further negative impact on attendances, particularly in the large urban stadia," the report said.

Hellrazer wrote: »
    They dropped leaflets into our place a few weeks ago.
    Straight into the bin.

What Corporate, in their right mind, would book a night @ Greyhound racing, right now?

They would get so much adverse publicity it would cripple them.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

What Corporate, in their right mind, would book a night @ Greyhound racing, right now?
    They would get so much adverse publicity it would cripple them.

Any that dont listen to the usual bunch of screaming numpties tbh. Tbh I've ever seem so much ****e pushed by a small number who know so little and all based off the back of some ****e tabloid style tv programme.

• Registered Users Posts: 903 ✭✭✭angel eyes 2012

gozunda wrote: »
    Any that dont listen to the usual bunch of screaming numpties tbh. Tbh I've ever seem so much ****e pushed by a small number who know so little and all based off the back of some ****e tabloid style tv programme.

Sometimes, it is the small numbers that finally say enough to a cruel practice that makes the rest sit up and take notice. I have always known this is a cruel industry and now those involved will have to come to terms that it is an industry in decline and any business that provides corporate sponsorship to the industry has no sense of corporate responsibility. I would happily boycott such firms and I'm sure others would too.

By the way, I would not consider myself part of the "usual bunch of screaming numpties", but forcing dogs to run around a track for a few miserable bets and the ultimate uncovering of an industry with massive gaps in transparency about what happens to dogs that are too slow to race, does not sit well with me and others, and if as a human being you cannot see that, well there is something seriously wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Sometimes, it is the small numbers that finally say enough to a cruel practice that makes the rest sit up and take notice. I have always known this is a cruel industry and now those involved will have to come to terms that it is an industry in decline and any business that provides corporate sponsorship to the industry has no sense of corporate responsibility. I would happily boycott such firms and I'm sure others would too. By the way, I would not consider myself part of the "usual bunch of screaming numpties", but forcing dogs to run around a track for a few miserable bets and the ultimate uncovering of an industry with massive gaps in transparency about what happens to dogs that are too slow to race, does not sit well with me and others, and if as a human being you cannot see that, well there is something seriously wrong.

Unfortunately sometimes 'the small numbers' are the real fanatics in my experience. And no that's not a dig at anyone in particular btw.

So you say "You've always known"? Ok that amounts to an opinion. And yes having an opinion is fair enough.

But the fact remains the statistics as already detailed on this thread show the actual death rate (dogs pts by vets etc) is less than 1 percent at 0.14% per 100000 dogs raced. And no - no one is even excusing that. Ditto dog figures historically 'unaccounted" for. But do at least try to drop the hyperbole.

But yes apparently many people (shock horror) like to simply watch greyhound racing. Some people like to race their greyhounds. It's a legal activity. And yes some people gamble. And that's where we're at.

Self disclosure here - I have nothing whatsoever to do with greyhounds. I have some neighbours who do and in my my experience those dogs are the best looked after dogs I've ever came across.

And you what the funny thing is? Those dogs which I see out and about and being exercised love to run. They dont have to be 'forced'. Put two of them together and they will try and outrun each other. I'm not embarrassed to say to watch such natural athletes simply running is indeed a pleasure.

Are there improvements to be made? Yes certainly there are. Including the rehoming of those dogs who dont race for whatever reason.

But to your question yes I am 'human'. You could throw the same type of ****e at any one who does not share your personal opinion. Or even at any sport involving animals or even the keeping of animals as pets if you chose to. And no I'm not comparing these - just these are also apparently legitimate targets for a small number of peoples opinions

The people who are 'wrong' are those who use harassment and intimidation towards others and businesses because and who do their damndist to force their opinions on everyone else..

Want something changed? Do it democratically. Dont bully others hiding behind the veil of social media.

Friend follows let me have the Following Update on Corey's Joy, a dog still registered to the Irish Greyhound Board. The photos were a disgrace. Shows just how far there is still to go to clean up this filthy industry. All you see here from the supporters is denial. The reality is : You bet, they die.

I’m not sure where to start with this post I’m so angry.Please meet Joy racing name Corey’s Joy .She was bred and raced in Ireland before being exported to Spain .This is her on the vets table after being made to run next to a van for 18 miles in 20 minutes.She was actually being dragged as she was struggling to run .You can see the state of her paws where she was dragged .Joy is still registered to the Irish Greyhound Board .Will anyone do something from the racing industry about this in Ireland or the U.K. as dogs from the U.K. also go to Spain ,china, Pakistan etc ????.This is the reality of greyhound racing not the bull **** pro racers tell you that all greyhound love to run all greyhounds get new homes and greyhounds are retired not rescued ����.What A load of **** greyhounds are rescued every single one that makes it out the stinking Industry.7000 greyhounds are killed yearly in the U.K. and Ireland .If This was happening to any other bred there would be outrage and it would be addressed.Greyhounds are being exported all over the world to be used as breeding machines ,they are being drugged ,they are being killed ,they are being kept in horrific conditions.Some trainers I work with look after their dogs and we have a good working relationship but they know my feelings on the industry so we just work together to get the dogs homed .All we hear is there’s only a few bad apples in the industry ��.How can a self regulated gambling industry that relies on animals to make a profit not be rotten to the core ?it can’t be that’s the answer .This piss poor sport has had over a 100 years to improve welfare and if anything it’s getting worse .The lowlife scum bags that export their dogs didn’t think they would be found well they are being found and it’s exposing the industry over and over again for what it is .You Bet They Die.Joys family members are also in Spain and Portugal.Joy is under Birmingham greyhound protection and now safe in boarding kennels until she’s ready to come home.

Friend follows let me have the Following Update on Corey's Joy, a dog still registered to the Irish Greyhound Board. The photos were a disgrace. Shows just how far there is still to go to clean up this filthy industry. All you see here from the supporters is denial. The reality is : You bet, they die.

I’m not sure where to start with this post I’m so angry.Please meet Joy racing name Corey’s Joy .She was bred and raced in Ireland before being exported to Spain .This is her on the vets table after being made to run next to a van for 18 miles in 20 minutes.She was actually being dragged as she was struggling to run .You can see the state of her paws where she was dragged .Joy is still registered to the Irish Greyhound Board .Will anyone do something from the racing industry about this in Ireland or the U.K. as dogs from the U.K. also go to Spain ,china, Pakistan etc ????.This is the reality of greyhound racing not the bull **** pro racers tell you that all greyhound love to run all greyhounds get new homes and greyhounds are retired not rescued ����.What A load of **** greyhounds are rescued every single one that makes it out the stinking Industry.7000 greyhounds are killed yearly in the U.K. and Ireland .If This was happening to any other bred there would be outrage and it would be addressed.Greyhounds are being exported all over the world to be used as breeding machines ,they are being drugged ,they are being killed ,they are being kept in horrific conditions.Some trainers I work with look after their dogs and we have a good working relationship but they know my feelings on the industry so we just work together to get the dogs homed .All we hear is there’s only a few bad apples in the industry ��.How can a self regulated gambling industry that relies on animals to make a profit not be rotten to the core ?it can’t be that’s the answer .This piss poor sport has had over a 100 years to improve welfare and if anything it’s getting worse .The lowlife scum bags that export their dogs didn’t think they would be found well they are being found and it’s exposing the industry over and over again for what it is .You Bet They Die.Joys family members are also in Spain and Portugal.Joy is under Birmingham greyhound protection and now safe in boarding kennels until she’s ready to come home.

She never raced in Ireland. What else have they lied about in that post? You bet, they lie.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,857 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

She never raced in Ireland. What else have they lied about in that post? You bet, they lie.

https://www.igb.ie/results/greyhound-search/greyhound-details/?gid=04C6808A-B004-4B0F-B367-281EF0F2B82F&FromDate=&ToDate=&RaceType=&Distance=&Trap=&stadium=

Irish dog.
    Bred & registered in Ireland
    Sent to Spain where they do this:

After one or two hunting seasons, galgos who don’t measure up are killed—as many as 100,000 every year, according to Christman.

Galgos have been thrown down wells, cast into rivers to drown, burned to death, and doused with acid. Some are left in forests, their legs intentionally broken so they can’t find their way home. “Last year we found one, and someone had gone at it with a pin hammer on the back of the skull,”

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/news/2016/10/spanish-galgo-hunting-dog-killing-welfare/

Discodog wrote: »
    https://www.igb.ie/results/greyhound-search/greyhound-details/?gid=04C6808A-B004-4B0F-B367-281EF0F2B82F&FromDate=&ToDate=&RaceType=&Distance=&Trap=&stadium=

Irish dog.
    Bred & registered in Ireland
    Sent to Spain where they do this:

After one or two hunting seasons, galgos who don’t measure up are killed—as many as 100,000 every year, according to Christman.

Galgos have been thrown down wells, cast into rivers to drown, burned to death, and doused with acid. Some are left in forests, their legs intentionally broken so they can’t find their way home. “Last year we found one, and someone had gone at it with a pin hammer on the back of the skull,”

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/news/2016/10/spanish-galgo-hunting-dog-killing-welfare/

The post said bred and raced in Ireland. I was pointing out just one error (There were NO races recorded in the link you provided)in the post and wondered what else was false? Like the RTÉ hatchet job, falsehoods, ancient stories and happenings in another country.
    How did they know the dog was ill treated in the manner claimed?

The post said bred and raced in Ireland. I was pointing out just one error (There were NO races recorded in the link you provided)in the post and wondered what else was false? Like the RThatchet job, falsehoods, ancient stories and happenings in another country.
    How did they know the dog was ill treated in the manner claimed?

That the IGB are happy to export to.

That the IGB are happy to export to.

Unfortunately the government or IGB cannot ban the sale and export of anything, let alone greyhounds. It was banned at one time, but iirc that was against EU regulations.

Unfortunately the government or IGB cannot ban the sale and export of anything, let alone greyhounds. It was banned at one time, but iirc that was against EU regulations.

They shouldn't need to ban it. No decent, responsible, caring owner would send their dog to a country that treats dogs like that.

And notably they have no address for the owner even though they have registered dogs.

They shouldn't need to ban it. No decent, responsible, caring owner would send their dog to a country that treats dogs like that.

And notably they have no address for the owner even though they have registered dogs.

If a dog is sold at a public sales, the seller has no say where they are sold to. That dog doesn’t appear to have raced anywhere, which isn’t surprising seeing as it’s a coursing bred one. Data protection doesn’t allow owners personal details be posted online.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭donkeykong5

This is disgraceful. And evil. And cruel.....K

This is disgraceful. And evil. And cruel.....K

And most likely not true. 18 miles in 20 minutes? Really?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

To be fair that is 54 mph or 87 kph and the top speed of a Greyhound in a short race is @ 72kph (usually between 200m to 1.1km), so this is definitely a highly erroneous statistic.

• Advertisement

If a dog is sold at a public sales, the seller has no say where they are sold to. That dog doesn’t appear to have raced anywhere, which isn’t surprising seeing as it’s a coursing bred one. Data protection doesn’t allow owners personal details be posted online.

So yet again we have owners not giving a care about where & to whom their dogs are sold.

The saddest part of all your responses is the denial. You never show one ounce of compassion.

Advertisement