Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hay

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,515 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Tileman wrote: »
    I think all here got the hay or wrapped it up. Anyone get caught out completely with it on the ground still.

Seems not.
    Cavan countryside was full of stuff down yesterday but empty fields is all I’ve seen today. Mammoth work done. Few tired souls today I’d say.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,378 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

_Brian wrote: »
    Seems not.
    Cavan countryside was full of stuff down yesterday but empty fields is all I’ve seen today. Mammoth work done. Few tired souls today I’d say.

Last 5 days were torture

• Registered Users Posts: 20,114 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

Stayed dry here all day, and turned out to be a nice day. Managed to get all the hay baled over the last 2 days. A relief. The weather forecast was badly wrong (thankfully) here

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Sami23

2smiggy wrote: »
    Stayed dry here all day, and turned out to be a nice day. Managed to get all the hay baled over the last 2 days. A relief. The weather forecast was badly wrong (thankfully) here

By god you were lucky. Well done

• Registered Users Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭Tileman

2smiggy wrote: »

You must be well south are u. I heard the rain bouncing of the roof around 6 this morn and it was a lovely feeling knowing all the hay was baled.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,114 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

Tileman wrote: »
    You must be well south are u. I heard the rain bouncing of the roof around 6 this morn and it was a lovely feeling knowing all the hay was baled.

Northish Cork. Was waiting for rain all day, and nothing!! And yesterday was a smashing day here too. Done for another year!

Hay will heat a bit anyway. Heating on its own sap is no problem. Heating while. wet from the elements or baling to late or early in day with dew on it is the problem. You burn it to a yellow crisp and it has no feeding value.

Just wondering how you'd know the difference between the two types of heating mentioned above ?

Anyone any bother with bales heating since baling

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,713 ✭✭✭Gods Gift

If hay doesn’t heat a little its shyte.
    Matchsticks.

Gods Gift wrote: »
    If hay doesn’t heat a little its shyte.
    Matchsticks.

Why is that - I always thought any heating was bad news

• Registered Users Posts: 4,054 ✭✭✭davidk1394

A small bit of heat is a good sign of hay. If you feel heat from the bale without putting your hand into the bale your in trouble.

• Advertisement

Sami23 wrote: »
    Why is that - I always thought any heating was bad news

It should heat from its own sap. Not water. Dry but with green still in it.

davidk1394 wrote: »
    A small bit of heat is a good sign of hay. If you feel heat from the bale without putting your hand into the bale your in trouble.

Is it the same principle for round and small square bales

Gods Gift wrote: »
    It should heat from its own sap. Not water. Dry but with green still in it.

So my point is if it is heating how would you know whether it was from its own sap or water?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,169 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Your nose will know. Pull out a bit of it and sniff.

So my point is if it is heating how would you know whether it was from its own sap or water?

Experience young grasshopper.
    Experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭CloughCasey1

Hay that heats on it's own sap often smells sweet. Hay that's heating due to ****e weather (like this year) during saving will have have a very fine dust, more like smoke than dust really to the eye, come out if you pull out a section of the bale. Neighbour bought hay off me couple of years ago that I round baled a day earlier than I had planned but got zero rain and was nice dry green hay. He also bought hay cut the same time that was left 4 more days on the ground from another fella. He put out a bale of each for the ewes during the winter. They licked the bale saved without rain that 100% heated. I had them in the shed and was a bit anxious about them at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,057 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

Can’t wait to see all the hay that got baled and now will be left out for the next month

• Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭minerleague

Just wondering how you'd know the difference between the two types of heating mentioned above ?

Anyone any bother with bales heating since baling

With 40 years "at hay" 15 of which it was only winter fodder made ( father here hated silage with a passion) hay shouldn't heat at all if properly made. Now with the irish weather you might have to bale it up a day sooner but if it got no rain after starting tedding it should be good.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,169 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Baled hay requires longer if you're going back that far. The bigger round bales longer again. Loose hay could generally be made, except in very poor weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,054 ✭✭✭davidk1394

Baling hay in South Tipp today. Great weather.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭Tileman

davidk1394 wrote: »
    Baling hay in South Tipp today. Great weather.

A neighbour here at it too. Powerful last 2 days. Very heavy dew this morning though

• Registered Users Posts: 19,170 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Water John wrote: »
    Baled hay requires longer if you're going back that far. The bigger round bales longer again. Loose hay could generally be made, except in very poor weather.

At least with the round bales you would leave them out for a bit longer if you thought they might heat.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

Was caught over a barrel yday evening.....had a sick hoggett.....touch of pinkeye and needed hay or her as will keep her in till she’s ok....I hadn’t a scrag of hay left in shed.....had to buy 2 bales off a distant neighbour....very good hay,saved in the early good weather but he charged me a tenner.....thought it was a bit saucy for them!

Did the good spell end too soon before hay crops were ready for baling or did fellas who bale hay to sell up in midlands etc and down in good parts of the North get their hay made?

If they managed to I would be hoping to buy it for around €3 delivered .....I do buy around 100 small squares every year and a few neighbours make up a full load for the lorry man.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭Robson99

Was caught over a barrel yday evening.....had a sick hoggett.....touch of pinkeye and needed hay or her as will keep her in till she’s ok....I hadn’t a scrag of hay left in shed.....had to buy 2 bales off a distant neighbour....very good hay,saved in the early good weather but he charged me a tenner.....thought it was a bit saucy for them!

Did the good spell end too soon before hay crops were ready for baling or did fellas who bale hay to sell up in midlands etc and down in good parts of the North get their hay made?

If they managed to I would be hoping to buy it for around €3 delivered .....I do buy around 100 small squares every year and a few neighbours make up a full load for the lorry man.
    We're you going to give him 6 or 7 euros?. He got you out of a hole

Robson99 wrote: »

Agree

• Registered Users Posts: 8,431 ✭✭✭Markcheese

At least with the round bales you would leave them out for a bit longer if you thought they might heat.

Is that more or less the same as stacking small bales into tents or wigwams in the field ? Used to see that all the time when I was a kid , never see it now ..

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭mr.stonewall

Majority of the hay for in late may was cracking stuff, best ever got. Won't sell it as it will hold for a few years and so handy. Had numerous people ask would I sell a half dozen or so. And the answer is no, but I can sell last year's. Can't blame him, if it's good good stuff and doesn't want the hassle of selling more of it. Some work in small squares. Has been already handled 5 times to get to your wagon

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Dunedin

Robson99 wrote: »

Ah jayus, a lad calls for a couple of bales and he’s charged a tenner. Many a neighbour got a bale or two off me and there’d be no charge. Tis a long road.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭Western Pomise

Pretty sure I know your helpful neighbour.....there’s one in every parish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,433 ✭✭✭J.O. Farmer

/
    As in 6 or 7 euro for each bale?;)

Should have put some context on it....this fella would be known to buy good big round bales...on avg bales like that would have 10 or 11 well made small square bales in them when rolled out.

This man manages to do a trick like Jesus with the loaves and the fishes....lets just say he has being known to get 15 small squares out of a big bale when he rolls it out to rebale it....so you wouldn't need a lot of strength to carry the two bales I got off him the other day....

PS- Anyone any thoughts on if a fair bit of good hay was saved during the good spell or were crops not ready to cut before the weather broke?

Did you get bales off the same lad? Seems he's doing a good trade.

Advertisement