Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hay

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭Dickie10

baling tomorrow and row it up in morning dry as a bone this evening, knocked last thursday night week so 10 days on ground now

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Sami23

Dickie10 wrote: »
    baling tomorrow and row it up in morning dry as a bone this evening, knocked last thursday night week so 10 days on ground now

Not so bad fair play.
    What's the quality like after Fridays rain?

surprisingly good i didnt touch it before or after rain until top had completley dried, the turning on saturday pretty much made it up today didnt do much for it its all dry. prob should have baled this evening but thought it was unjustifed to call on the guy with the baler on the Sabbath.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,231 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Lets say if the grass hasnt been shook out yet and got rain today or tomorrow but was shook out after, what kind of impact would that be?

I am thinking a loss of quality and colour but would it be significant?

I was watching the weather over the course of the day and things changed rapidly in relation to tomorrow. Normally the forecast is bang on for say 24 hrs in advance.

Well how is it looking now. Anybody that gambled on getting hay that is cut since the middle of last week will more than likely save it. May get a few showers but it should be ok.

Slava Ukrainii

Well how is it looking now. Anybody that gambled on getting hay that is cut since the middle of last week will more than likely save it. May get a few showers but it should be ok.
    Yes, looks ok here. It was wet but not soaking through yesterday.

Was thrown out today. Will look to turn it again as still slightly wet underneath.

That was a light crop, green underneath, the bit that saw direct rain was slightly discoloured.

To make good hay you need a nice week really, we rarely get 1 full week of good weather in Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Looking good in North Kerry.
    Was cut on Saturday evening and turned yesterday.

Sunshine here again today.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

When the ground is damp you need to kick it sideways onto the adjacent ground which should be dry. Going in straight lines won't dry it. The wuffler lifts the swards up to the wind. You can really see the difference between a sward that was done and an adjacent sward that is not done. But if the weather is tight, spreading it out will give increased area of crop exposed to wind and sun.
    What you really want is some thing to rotate the swards so top is now on bottom and vice versa.

It does have an advantage in that you can open the doors out and it acts like a haybob. Close the doors in and it works like a liner.

I've not tried putting two swards into one for a baler - not sure what that would turn out like.
    Thanks Funkey, really helpful info, back to my original query, is it any gentler than a tedder?

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Biscuitus

Day 3 of turning the hay, cut 5 or 6 days ago. Hoping to bail on Thursday all going well. its a heavy crop and won't be the best but I'll be glad to have it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,227 ✭✭✭tanko

Biscuitus wrote: »
    Day 3 of turning the hay, cut 5 or 6 days ago. Hoping to bail on Thursday all going well. its a heavy crop and won't be the best but I'll be glad to have it.

I think you should look at the weather forecasts for this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭Who2

tanko wrote: »
    I think you should look at the weather forecasts for this week.
    im gambling they are wrong, if it stays dry wednesday im sorted. otherwise ill wrap wet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,115 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Thanks Funkey, really helpful info, back to my original query, is it any gentler than a tedder?

I've no idea TBH. I wouldn't say there is much in it.
    I think you said you are doing clover silage and I don't think that would stand much of either. You might get a better response on The Farming Forum for a specific question like that.

From chatting with a contractor recently, they don't like haybobs as they have a tendency to leave the swards lumpy for the baler.

We only use it for hay and haven't done much in the last few years so it has been largely unused.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,169 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Who2 wrote: »
    im gambling they are wrong, if it stays dry wednesday im sorted. otherwise ill wrap wet.

Depends what part of the country, the extreme South unusually is the part escaping.

Who2 wrote: »

Just seen weather on RTE. Wednesday looks to be the worst day this week with Thursday and Friday looking a bit better prospect to get the Hay imo

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭Aravo

As it was wet all day Friday. Cut out some on Sat afternoon. Spread out on Sunday. Turned this am and rowed in afternoon. Baled and wrapped at 5 and now stacked. Its great when a few days come along, makes things a lot easier. No hay this year I'm afraid. Not taking the chance of things getting wet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭Tileman

Sami23 wrote: »
    Just seen weather on RTE. Wednesday looks to be the worst day this week with Thursday and Friday looking a bit better prospect to get the Hay imo

I think if you can’t get it Tomo you would be better off wrapping it as Haylage. There is no real sign of sun to dry it out on Thursday or Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭minerleague

Baled my couple of acres, cut last sunday, surprised how nice it turned out considering rain it got friday. all square bales and in the barn. First use of (new to me) 14 ft low trailer behind jeep, 63 bales in 3 and a bit rows off the ground, really handy and quick

• Registered Users Posts: 8,115 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

I've not done any hay this year, but its great sharing the hardship and worry with yiz all :D

• Registered Users Posts: 21,169 ✭✭✭✭Water John

I've not done any hay this year, but its great sharing the hardship and worry with yiz all :D

A bit like gambling, can be addictive. Get a buzz out of the risk, no thanks.

Tomorrow will be good so hope a good few get across the line.

Baled up today at three oclock very dry, nice stuff , just rowed it up , didnt shake out. dry as a bone , knocked thursday 9th july.

Here’s some pics

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

I'm the same, rented my field out to a local. It's nice watching him work while I stand at the gate with a mug of fresh coffee.

Here

Hay

• Registered Users Posts: 24,379 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

First 20 acres done for customer here and another 25 tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 11,085 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Reggie. wrote: »

I did a lot of touring yesterday, hudson bay, shannon harbour, shannonbridge, banagher, etc and theres a huge amount of hay being made, can it all be traditional hay meadow,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

I'm the same, rented my field out to a local. It's nice watching him work while I stand at the gate with a mug of fresh coffee.

Feckin landlords:D

Reggie. wrote: »

When was that cut Reggie.

Has anyone on here baled Hay that was cut last Thursday yet ?

Think I'm just going to come up a day short :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭dzer2

When was that cut Reggie.

Has anyone on here baled Hay that was cut last Thursday yet ?

Think I'm just going to come up a day short :(

Will be baling ours today it was cut last Thursday got a nice bit of rain Friday night Saturday morning but got tedded sat evening late, Sunday and yesterday will get a last stir about 11 rowed for 4ish and baled soon after. Was in good enough condition last night but with today being good decided to wait

dzer2 wrote: »
    Will be baling ours today it was cut last Thursday got a nice bit of rain Friday night Saturday morning but got tedded sat evening late, Sunday and yesterday will get a last stir about 11 rowed for 4ish and baled soon after. Was in good enough condition last night but with today being good decided to wait

Mine got exactly the same amount of turns as yours but was still a nice bit of green it it yesterday evening and when I say green I mean fresh green like the day it was cut so gonna need a very good day today to get it and not sure if the west will get enough sun.
    I'd hate to bale it and for it to then heat so not sure what to do as don't want it getting wet tomorrow either

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭dzer2

Mine got exactly the same amount of turns as yours but was still a nice bit of green it it yesterday evening and when I say green I mean fresh green like the day it was cut so gonna need a very good day today to get it and not sure if the west will get enough sun.
    I'd hate to bale it and for it to then heat so not sure what to do as don't want it getting wet tomorrow either

Hay is time consuming you need to spend time in the field. I spent 2 hrs sunday pulling out the fresh green parts and tossing them.on top of the dry ground so they got sun yesterday

Advertisement