Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you blame him or not, MP manhandles woman protester

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Hurrache wrote: »
    It's amazing how all the other men there managed to handle this so much better and realise the women protesting weren't about to set off a dirty bomb.

Maybe the hero of the night to many here knew better and jumped into action to save the world.

Most likely it was just because he's a prick though.

https://twitter.com/AdamWagner1/status/1141982893134286848?s=19

That more or less settles it for me, total overreaction

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Boxing.Fan

New account??
    You are very welcome to the forum boxing fan.

I am sure you will realize in other threads I am a lovely person. And i am certain i will realize the same about you.

I look forward to getting to know you. :)

There isn't a need to back seat mod me though.

Welcome again. :)

You're here 6 weeks and have 2 thousand posts. You should get out more.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,421 ✭✭✭tritium

ciaran76 wrote: »
    I bet if it was a bloke he wouldn't have done it !

I call bull**** on that. You can see from the video that the lady is walking to the top of the table briskly with something in her right hand That would have been apparent but not clear to anyone at the table. In that environment he had a split second to decide on his course of action and it was actually quite a brave act to potentially put himself in danger.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Strumms wrote: »
    The woman wasn’t there NOT to cause trouble.
    Listen to yourself. Listen to the nonsense you're coming out with, for jaysus sake.

Bending over backwards to justify the actions of an arrogant upper class British prick.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

NIMAN wrote: »
    I am trying to visualise this, and I think thats physically impossible to do, unless her neck is very thin.

try it yourself now. Wrap your hand around the back of your neck. Can you wrap your fingers around your throat?

Check the photos on twitter.

And yes its easier if you have a thin neck I would think. Although ..i am not an expert on self defense situations etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭SexBobomb

I think this is a learning opportunity for people to realize why victims of domestic assault do not leave.

It's always justified and totally normalized to assault women in this society.

I was pretty sure you were trolling, now I just hope you are because thats an insane conclusion to draw.

It reminds me of a domestic violence scene.

Yes, if by domestic violence you mean that you were sitting with your husband in your house and a deranged uninvited woman stormed in and you didn't know what she was going to do.

Then your husband stands up and forcibly removed her, ensuring that you were safe.

That kind of domestic violence

Boxing.Fan wrote: »
    You're here 6 weeks and have 2 thousand posts. You should get out more.

Too true. :p

Ha ha you're funny!

What made you come to boards??

I really am nice by the way! :)

Yes, if by domestic violence you mean that you were sitting with your husband in your house and a deranged uninvited woman stormed in and you didn't know what she was going to do.

Then your husband stands up and forcibly removed her, ensuring that you were safe.

That kind of domestic violence

I think it's obvious what i meant.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I think this is a learning opportunity for people to realize why victims of domestic assault do not leave.

It's always justified and totally normalized to assault women in this society.
    Hahahahahahha.... oh wait, you're serious? :pac::pac::pac: You're funny. Never change.

I'd be with Seamus on this one. Mad overreaction on both "sides" to this, but yer man acted like your typical boor. Way OTT.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Is this the entire level of interactions both had during the night? Its hard to judge without knowing the context.

To be fair, if he grabbed her anywhere but the neck, he would probably be up for touching her inappropriately.

SexBobomb wrote: »
    I was pretty sure you were trolling, now I just hope you are because thats an insane conclusion to draw.

No I am being genuine. Everything i have said in the thread is genuine. :)

I like that i have blown your mind though ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

joe40 wrote: »
    He wasn't employed as security, he had no right to do it.

Eh, the number one person responsible for your security is YOU.

"Help, i'm being attacked, where's the security...."
    He grabs her around the neck and slams her into a pillar?

Christ, who are you meant to blame here?

Are we watching the same video? He didn't slam her against the pillar, hold onto your horses.

Do you write for a tabloid or maybe you just read too many tabloid headlines, because your post is sensationalist.
    It reminds me of a domestic violence scene.

Holy mental gymnastics batman. Congratulations on belittling actual domestic violence victims with this outlandish statement.

We have a 20 second clip so we can't say too much about the security at all. Maybe they did everything right. Was the protester a guest at the event? She posed a threat and he removed that threat with as little force as possible. The snowflake lefties here expect what exactly? That she be allowed do as she like? A woman can cause as much of a threat as a man, her sex has nothing to do with it at all.

Funny how some people in this thread are crying for "equality" every chance they get yet at the same time they just see Man Vs Woman in the video and are hysterical about it. :rolleyes:

naughtb4 wrote: »
    Is this the entire level of interactions both had during the night? Its hard to judge without knowing the context.

To be fair, if he grabbed her anywhere but the neck, he would probably be up for touching her inappropriately.

Good point.
    Perhaps he should not have touched her.

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭Hedgelayer

He looked like he was afraid of her,and whatever instincts kicked in he went all out.

Some will consider him a heroic,others will throw the book at him...

This will backfire and he'll regret his actions.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,421 ✭✭✭tritium

You are speaking in a hypothetical its a realm that doesn't exist. You are not sticking to reality. And it actually seems delusional.

This is the real world.

Look at her in reality. She was clearly not violent and was unarmed. If she had been he would not have approached her.

Her body language was actually quite meek and submissive and not at all angry.

Security would have handled that probably a lot better.

He is elected to SERVE people like her.

He owes her an apology.

The hell he does. Her walk towards the top of the table is purposeful and far from meek, she has an object ( presumably a phone) in her right hand that’s obscured from view. Whatever security arrangements pertain, they’ve failed and allowed someone to rush towards a group of senior politicians who would have a large number of people Hppy to harm them.

In the circumstances his reaction is both proportionate and laudable

Btw, at a minimum security at that stage would have dropped her hard. Had she been unlucky that may have gone further than that

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭TinCanMan

Spook_ie wrote: »
    https://news.sky.com/story/tory-mp-mark-field-under-fire-after-grabbing-protester-by-neck-11745967

Should they be charging him with assault or not, should he be made to resign, given the shooting of MP Jo Cox, the "joke" of throwing acid and other things I think not, peaceful protest doesn't mean rushing up to a top table of "dignatories"

If that happened in Ireland he would lose his seat, be expelled from the party and criminal proceedings set in motion. Oh wait...............

• Registered Users Posts: 24,808 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Watching the video again... the manner in which she rushes at speed towards them, aggressively with various things clasped in her hands, if that was me sitting there I’d be startled and defensive too. All things considered I think the gentleman did well, possible threat neutralized and nobody injured.

If she had the respect for the group at the table she could have asked for a note to be passed to him, with contact details. An interaction arranged professionally and in a suitable environment. But no, she bore the consequences of her actions, but I’m sure she is happy as it was designed as a publicity stunt more then a fact finding mission.

If he had have offered her a seat and a glass of wine while they discussed the matter she most likely would have fûcked it over him to garner similar photo opportunities and headlines.

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭DaeryssaOne

While he was overly rough in dealing with her I think he was completely right in protecting the second most important politician in their country, security obviously messed up even letting her get so close and he reacted promptly not knowing what was about to happen.

ILoveYourVibes - if he had thrown out a man who had stormed in, got past security and was a potential threat am I right in thinking you would be fine with that?

These double standards are embarrassing for women. We demand to be treated equally but then the second we are some women are all outraged???

Eh, the number one person responsible for your security is YOU.

"Help, i'm being attacked, where's the security...."

Are we watching the same video? He didn't slam her against the pillar, hold onto your horses.

Do you write for a tabloid or maybe you just read too many tabloid headlines, because your post is sensationalist.

Holy mental gymnastics batman. Congratulations on belittling actual domestic violence victims with this outlandish statement.

We have a 20 second clip so we can't say too much about the security at all. Maybe they did everything right. Was the protester a guest at the event? She posed a threat and he removed that threat with as little force as possible. The snowflake lefties here expect what exactly? That she be allowed do as she like? A woman can cause as much of a threat as a man, her sex has nothing to do with it at all.

Funny how some people in this thread are crying for "equality" every chance they get yet at the same time they just see Man Vs Woman in the video and are hysterical about it. :rolleyes:

I am not a feminist. Women are not as strong as men.

I am not crying for equality i don't believe it's possible nor advisable.

That is just my humble opinion.

Men and women should be treated differently.

He did shove her against the pillar.

It's not at all belittling to victims of domestic violence or any violence to see the similarities here.

I don't mean to come across hysterical or aggressive.

Apologies if that came accross certainly not my intention.

Everyone here is entitled to their opinion however wrong i think it is

that of course includes YOU. :)

My opinion put in crude layman's terms is he is just a posh British Tory prick taking advantage of a woman who is weaker than him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Hurrache wrote: »
    A woman walks behind you at an event and you have no issue with jumping up and grabbing her?

It wasn't his job, she wasn't a threat, he was a peewee dicked little man trying to make himself look cool in front of the lads. There's lots of people in that particular party with some sort of similar syndrome.

She was being a douche. She hasn't died. She'll get over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

tritium wrote: »
    Btw, at a minimum security at that stage would have dropped her hard. Had she been unlucky that may have gone further than that

Jesus christ, what is it with this thread and fantasy, completely abstracted from reality. Too many action movies perhaps.

Anyway, he's been suspended as a government minister.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Strumms wrote: »
    Watching the video again... the manner in which she rushes at speed towards them, aggressively with various things clasped in her hands, if that was me sitting there I’d be startled and defensive too. All things considered I think the gentleman did well, possible threat neutralized and nobody injured.

If she had the respect for the group at the table she could have asked for a note to be passed to him, with contact details. An interaction arranged professionally and in a suitable environment. But no, she bore the consequences of her actions, but I’m sure she is happy as it was designed as a publicity stunt more then a fact finding mission.

If he had have offered her a seat and a glass of wine while they discussed the matter she most likely would have fûcked it over him to garner similar photo opportunities and headlines.
    Watch the longer video for the context. Watch how every other person in the packed room handles it

• Registered Users Posts: 17,416 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

joe40 wrote: »
    He wasn't employed as security, he had no right to do it.

He has every right. She invaded a private event.
    If more people manned the **** up and stopped suspicious activity we'd have less murders, robberies etc.
    Instead its bury our head in the sand and just avert our eyes.
    I'm pretty sure that if she had a gun and shot a MP then everyone would be saying why didn't someone do something.
    Its not as if he threw her to the ground and started kicking the crap out of her.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Its crazy this is news and being debated to the extent that it is. She has no injuries. He has apologised.

Calling this violence is making a mockery of actual violence assault against people.

It looked like a headmaster marching an unruly student out of class

• Registered Users Posts: 18,170 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

This was a private function. It is equivalent to s wedding or a dinner party in your own home. The man involved removed an uninvited guest from a private function. If this was on your own home or a wedding would the action be considered an offence in law. If the intruder was a male would there be as much hullabaloo. Did he physically strike with his hand or fists. No he got up from his chair stopped the intruder's progress and because of s pillar behind the intruder they collided with it. He turned the intruder and marched them out by the scruff of the neck. If it was a man in a suit he have caught him by the neck of his jacket or forced one of his hands behind there back. If he caught her by the back of here dress and it got torn there would be uproar. He use minimal forced to remove a unwanted guest. If it was a wedding and an ex girlfriend tried to make would that level of force be acceptable

If this case went before a judge with that video it would be thrown out.

Slava Ukrainii

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

While he was overly rough in dealing with her I think he was completely right in protecting the second most important politician in their country, security obviously messed up even letting her get so close and he reacted promptly not knowing what was about to happen.

I think the force used was enough. She's pushing back and he used enough force to stop her proceeding. If he used less force she would have got past him.
    ILoveYourVibes - if he had thrown out a man who had stormed in, got past security and was a potential threat am I right in thinking you would be fine with that?

These double standards are embarrassing for women. We demand to be treated equally but then the second we are some women are all outraged???

There wouldn't be a thread as there's would be nothing to be outraged at. In the eyes of some people, you can't do anything to a woman without being torn apart.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Blazer wrote: »
    He has every right. She invaded a private event.
    If more people manned the **** up and stopped suspicious activity we'd have less murders, robberies etc.
    Instead its bury our head in the sand and just avert our eyes.
    I'm pretty sure that if she had a gun and shot a MP then everyone would be saying why didn't someone do something.
    Its not as if he threw her to the ground and started kicking the crap out of her.

Ha ha ha, this is just great. If this thread is in anyway a reflection of broader society, we're by and large a population afraid of their own shadow.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Call me Al

Hedgelayer wrote: »
    He looked like he was afraid of her,and whatever instincts kicked in he went all out.

Some will consider him a heroic,others will throw the book at him...

This will backfire and he'll regret his actions.
    Oh he certainly did go all out. No fear there, just a big ugly temper.

It's a wonder the dozens of other people she passed en route to that corner managed to heroically restrain themselves and not assault her like he did.
    They probably understood there was security there and they'd be along in due course to remove the lady in question.

• Advertisement

I don't have the same view of men and women as you do.

That doesn't mean you have to agree with me.

I don't think women and men are equal or should be treated equally in every way.

That doesn't mean i don't want to be friends with women who think differently or admire them etc. I don't want to fight with other women.

But i sometimes think differently.

If a man had gotten thrown out would i have thought that was ok? Well not OK ...particularly if he had been really hurt.

But I possibly would have been LESS outraged if that made sense.

So i suppose you could call me sexist yes. I guess i am. :)

Advertisement