Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you blame him or not, MP manhandles woman protester

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Watch the longer video for the context. Watch how every other person in the packed room handles it

They didn't handle it though did they? They ignored it and hoped that somebody else would handle it. The spatial awareness here is dismal.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Hurrache wrote: »
    Jesus christ, what is it with this thread and fantasy, completely abstracted from reality. Too many action movies perhaps.

Anyway, he's been suspended as a government minister.

That's for the best. It would be better if he resigned or was fired.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,174 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

tritium wrote: »
    ...Btw, at a minimum security at that stage would have dropped her hard. Had she been unlucky that may have gone further than that

She's wobbling along with a phone in one hand and too much stuff in the other, she looks as awkward as bejesus and more like a tipsy Geography teacher than a Ninja assassin. No professional security person would have put a hand on her without speaking with her first, and only then some gentle restraint.

They didn't handle it though did they? They ignored it and hoped that somebody else would handle it. The spatial awareness here is dismal.

They didn't handle it because they didn't think she was a threat obviously.

If a man had gotten thrown out would i have thought that was ok? Well not OK ...particularly if he had been really hurt.

But I possibly would have been LESS outraged if that made sense.

So i suppose you could call me sexist yes. I guess i am. :)

Aaaand that's enough reasoning with you regarding equality as you don't actually believe in true equality.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

There is a reason events have professional security organized. Some amateur playing Rambo is stupid, I bet you he'd be hiding under the table if she was actually armed or in any way threatening.

I think any sane politician would leave this to security team. He is either exceptionally stupid or he was drunk.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,748 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

So what's "a back-tie dinner" anyway?

Do you just tie it normally and swivel it 180 degrees?

Aaaand that's enough reasoning with you regarding equality as you don't actually believe in true equality.

You are correct! And i don't mind you saying it :)
    I have stated several times that i do not already.

And i am just stating what everyone else thinks but is afraid to say.

This is how people behave in the real world. Because it's nature.

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭DaeryssaOne

If a man had gotten thrown out would i have thought that was ok? Well not OK ...particularly if he had been really hurt.

So i suppose you could call me sexist yes. I guess i am. :)

But nobody was really hurt in this instance either so you're just being outraged on her behalf.

And yes I agree with your admission that you are sexist

So what's "a back-tie dinner" anyway?

So you just tie it normally and swivel it 180 degrees?
    They eat black ties.

• Advertisement

They didn't handle it because they didn't think she was a threat obviously.

Is that the only conclusion you can draw from it? They all decided that she was not a thread. I think that the majority of the people in the room just weren't aware of what was going on. The minority that did understand, didn't know how to react. There's a couple of logical fallacies one could apply to your arguments.

But nobody was really hurt in this instance either so you're just being outraged on her behalf.

And yes I agree with your admission that you are sexist

Everyone is sexist. Everyone behaves like i just said. They just don't admit it.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,808 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

jimgoose wrote: »
    She's wobbling along with a phone in one hand and too much stuff in the other, she looks as awkward as bejesus and more like a tipsy Geography teacher than a Ninja assassin. No professional security person would have put a hand on her without speaking with her first, and only then some gentle restraint.

She is moving with speed and purpose towards her target with multiple things in her arms. In the second or two that security would have to evaluate the threat they will react to prevent any contact and therefore threat first and foremost. Better that way it’s discovered she isn’t much of a threat then waiting to have to call an ambulance if she is.

Is that the only conclusion you can draw from it? They all decided that she was not a thread. I think that the majority of the people in the room just weren't aware of what was going on. The minority that did understand, didn't know how to react. There's a couple of logical fallacies one could apply to your arguments.

I was referring specifically to security in the room. And they WERE in the room.

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭DaeryssaOne

Everyone is sexist. Everyone behaves like i just said. They just don't admit it.

So you have just made a sweeping generalisation that EVERYONE is sexist.....right I'm out.....

Strumms wrote: »
    She is moving with speed and purpose towards her target with multiple things in her arms. In the second or two that security would have to evaluate the threat they will react to prevent any contact and therefore threat first and foremost. Better that way it’s discovered she isn’t much of a threat then waiting to have to call an ambulance if she is.

Yeah she looked terrifying.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

She is moving with speed and purpose towards her target with multiple things in her arms.

This is a thread that just keeps giving.

So you have just made a sweeping generalisation that EVERYONE is sexist.....right I'm out.....

maybe that is not such a bad thing...to be sexist i mean.

I mean we went the other way and it gave us grabbing by the pussy , depressed suicidal men ..and this ...

Again totally being genuine.

Something is not right in society.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,808 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Yeah she looked terrifying.

Madly terrifying ! 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 20,174 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Too much Call of Duty, methinks... :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,421 ✭✭✭tritium

For those who think security would have somehow de escalated this with pillows and cotton wool, this is how people getting loud and close to politicians uninvited are generally treated

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

No they were smart people who are trained in pr (and if they are not they should be) to know how to respond to protesters. Every one but one who understood what was going on knew exactly what to do. They were aware enough not to help him handle the protester because they knew exactly how it will play.

tritium wrote: »
    For those who think security would have somehow de escalated this with pillows and cotton wool, this is how people getting loud and close to politicians uninvited are generally treated

HI tritium. I am sure your videos would have contributed a lot to the conversation. I just thought I would let you know they are not working.

Could you try posting them again for me? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭InTheShadows

Well done to the guy. Woman was acting like a total you know what.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,265 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Reasonable restraint is acceptable.

He had no idea what the protester was going to do.

The protester is lucky it wasn't the police or security that stopped her, they would by have been as gentle.

All the men terrified of a tiny woman. I wouldn't want any of you walking me home at night!

Good lord!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 474 ✭✭Former Observer

I don’t think so, my hand would be too wrapped around that persons throat and she on the ground, threat having been neutralized, each of us safe.

Cool fantasy bro. Literally laughing out loud reading it.

A lot of pond scum on the forums today.

It’s a bit over the top I guess, but you listen to all the outrage and it sounds like he gave her a **** punt, kicked her in the head a few times and dragged her off by her hair.

Protestors in my day were made of much sterner stuff.

Boy A and Boy B look fairly harmless. Looks can be deceiving.
    She is female. Come on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,421 ✭✭✭tritium

Hurrache wrote: »
    Like so many other normal people did in the video.

Look at the longer video, it was obvious from the outset, before she got near where he leapt into action to save the day, there was no threat.

It was far from obvious that there was no threat. Tell me how quickly you spot the knife in this video

Advertisement