Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you blame him or not, MP manhandles woman protester

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,520 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

biko wrote: »
    I don't see a problem.
    The woman gatecrashed the event. She got herself kicked out.

Real men handle problem themselves.
    His hand never goes near her throat :confused:
    She will milk this as much as possible, make no mistake she is delighted this has happened, more wallowing in victimhood to come.
    We we all feel this way towards those hypocritcal tosser climate protesters soon enough.
    From what I see, he didn't even grab her by the neck. Seemed to catch her by the shoulder and held her against the pillar. No more physical than you'd see among drunken rows at a gathering.

She got her comeuppance and is probably one of those SJW's that we all would like to punch at some stage any way.

Move on. Nothing to see here.
    The gentleman should have waited for the lady to fling the acid in the gentleman's face or consommé before reacting.
    Tails142 wrote: »
    Watched the video, thought it looked ok. Nothing a bouncer wouldn't do on a typical Saturday night. Barge into a room with sirens blaring what do they expect?
    NIMAN wrote: »
    I don't see much wrong.
    tritium wrote: »
    I call bull**** on that. You can see from the video that the lady is walking to the top of the table briskly with something in her right hand That would have been apparent but not clear to anyone at the table. In that environment he had a split second to decide on his course of action and it was actually quite a brave act to potentially put himself in danger.
    The hell he does. Her walk towards the top of the table is purposeful and far from meek, she has an object ( presumably a phone) in her right hand that’s obscured from view. Whatever security arrangements pertain, they’ve failed and allowed someone to rush towards a group of senior politicians who would have a large number of people Hppy to harm them.

In the circumstances his reaction is both proportionate and laudable

Btw, at a minimum security at that stage would have dropped her hard. Had she been unlucky that may have gone further than that
    Strumms wrote: »
    Watching the video again... the manner in which she rushes at speed towards them, aggressively with various things clasped in her hands, if that was me sitting there I’d be startled and defensive too. All things considered I think the gentleman did well, possible threat neutralized and nobody injured.

If she had the respect for the group at the table she could have asked for a note to be passed to him, with contact details. An interaction arranged professionally and in a suitable environment. But no, she bore the consequences of her actions, but I’m sure she is happy as it was designed as a publicity stunt more then a fact finding mission.
    She was being a douche. She hasn't died. She'll get over it.
    Blazer wrote: »
    He has every right. She invaded a private event.
    If more people manned the **** up and stopped suspicious activity we'd have less murders, robberies etc.
    Instead its bury our head in the sand and just avert our eyes.
    I'm pretty sure that if she had a gun and shot a MP then everyone would be saying why didn't someone do something.
    Its not as if he threw her to the ground and started kicking the crap out of her.
    naughtb4 wrote: »
    Its crazy this is news and being debated to the extent that it is. She has no injuries. He has apologised.

Calling this violence is making a mockery of actual violence assault against people.

It looked like a headmaster marching an unruly student out of class
    Strumms wrote: »
    She is moving with speed and purpose towards her target with multiple things in her arms. In the second or two that security would have to evaluate the threat they will react to prevent any contact and therefore threat first and foremost. Better that way it’s discovered she isn’t much of a threat then waiting to have to call an ambulance if she is.

Sheer volume of the number of posters with these types of views in a short space of time is quite revealing. And worrying. Both for the suggestions that she should have been treated more harshly and the view (contrary to video evidence) that he did nothing wrong. Not to mention the implication that all climate activists should be treated the same way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

Danzy wrote: »
    Reasonable restraint is acceptable.

He had no idea what the protester was going to do.

Seemed like a reasonable response in the moment. Could be hailed as a hero in other circumstances.

Curious how it was filmed though, clearly intended to be a publicity stunt with video to be shared afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

If it was a male protester the optics would still be completely wrong. Politicians don't win this type of battles (remeber Joan Burton in Jobstown).

• Registered Users Posts: 13,361 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

She is female. Come on.

Lol, do you have any respect at all for women?

Even a tiny bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Aegir wrote: »
    It’s a bit over the top I guess, but you listen to all the outrage and it sounds like he gave her a **** punt, kicked her in the head a few times and dragged her off by her hair.

Protestors in my day were made of much sterner stuff.

Yes but let's be honest. They were men. She is a woman. Women are not made of 'sterner stuff'.

You might say she should as a woman not put herself in danger etc. But well she did.

• Advertisement

BarryD2 wrote: »
    Seemed like a reasonable response in the moment. Could be hailed as a hero in other circumstances.

Curious how it was filmed though, clearly intended to be a publicity stunt with video to be shared afterwards.

Well they got exactly what they wanted curtesy to one government member.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

jimgoose wrote: »
    She's wobbling along with a phone in one hand and too much stuff in the other, she looks as awkward as bejesus and more like a tipsy Geography teacher than a Ninja assassin. No professional security person would have put a hand on her without speaking with her first, and only then some gentle restraint.

Exactly, that MP only intervened because he could and act the big man.
    He could have got up and blocked her path, slowed her down others would probably have got up as well.

For me it was an over reaction.
    I wouldn't go as far as say it was assault but he did come across as an obnoxious prick.

Yes but let's be honest. They were men. She is a woman. Women are not made of 'sterner stuff'.

You might say she should as a woman not put herself in danger etc. But well she did.

No need to answer my previous question, this answers it in spades.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,428 ✭✭✭tritium

I think this is a learning opportunity for people to realize why victims of domestic assault do not leave.

It's always justified and totally normalized to assault women in this society.

Actually I think your views do a far better job of explaining why male domestic abuse victims report so rarely even though the numbers are not to far of the numbers of female victims. Just a little woman there so couldn’t be a threat right?

Lol, do you have any respect at all for women?

Even a tiny bit.

A lot.

I respect the traditional female qualities we DO have.

My apologies if that is not acceptable these days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,574 ✭✭✭quokula

Boy A and Boy B look fairly harmless. Looks can be deceiving.

They didn't know for sure that their victim wasn't a potential terrorist. Clearly heroes.

Actually I think your views do a far better job of explaining why male domestic abuse victims report so rarely even though the numbers are not to far of the numbers of female victims. Just a little woman there so couldn’t be a threat right?
    Well yeah.

Actually Jordan Peterson made a good point about it.

quokula wrote: »
    They didn't know for sure that their victim wasn't a potential terrorist. Clearly heroes.
    Yeah.

I still can't think or read posts about it without being distracted by my feelings on it.

Sheer volume of the number of posters with these types of views in a short space of time is quite revealing. And worrying. Both for the suggestions that she should have been treated more harshly and the view (contrary to video evidence) that he did nothing wrong. Not to mention the implication that all climate activists should be treated the same way.

Puzzled, did she carry a sign saying 'I'm a climate activist'? How is anyone there supposed to know what she's up to? Terrorists don't all come wearing balaclavas.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,856 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Reasonable restraint is acceptable.

He had no idea what the protester was going to do.

Exactly, if he had have provided her with a couple of digs or thrown her head first into the pillar...quite unreasonable but he managed to de escalate the situation and threat in a controlled, responsible and restraining manner while ensuring no harm was caused to the protester, himself, colleagues and staff working.

Hopefully the lady can learn from the experience and going forward she will seek to engage with people on this or whatever subject in a more constructive, well considered and responsible manner both for herself and all involved.

Puzzled, did she carry a sign saying 'I'm a climate activist'? How is anyone there supposed to know what she's up to? Terrorists don't all come wearing balaclavas.

No but they are all men.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,520 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

No but they are all men.

I agree with your position that his behaviour was unacceptable but stop with this nonsense.

No but they are all men.

Who are all men? Terrorists? Come on now, don't be so naive.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,574 ✭✭✭quokula

She was part of a group who were literally wearing sashes identifying themselves as climate activists. They'd been speaking for a couple of minutes prior to this assault occurring and it was entirely obvious who they wear. Indeed, one of her associates who walked down the aisle on the opposite side was stopped by someone who put their arm out in front of her, which was the reasonable reaction of a normal non-violent human being.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭Cryptopagan

Nobody armed would have been able to get into that event in the first place.

And people suggesting bouncers manhandling punters of clubs should be viewed as an acceptable standard: tbh I’m surprised more bouncers don’t end up getting charged with assault, because how I’ve seen some of them behave they should be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭Tails142

This is what I had visions of, posted on reddit two days ago, nsfw maybe, shows a real assault basically

https://gfycat.com/courageouswildacornweevil

If you crash a private event and are quickly heading for people, people who would be targets, you'll be stopped, in most places in a more aggressive manner than a hand on the neck.

How is that unreasonable.

He is probably an asshole, his party is full of assholes but that doesn't mean what he did was unreasonable.

No Court would view it as such.

The responses in this thread are funny and it will be even funnier when he will need to step down from his position. And he will need to stand down, make no mistake. His apology on Twitter already already points on what direction this is going.

I'm predicting full blown meltdown in this thread soon.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 474 ✭✭Former Observer

I respect the traditional female qualities we DO have.

My apologies if that is not acceptable these days.

Respect whatever you like. You do not speak for all women and all women do not share the same qualities.

This is a clear case of a pompous nasty prick exercising undue force against a peaceful protester. He knew she was unarmed. He knew she was not a threat. It is not his duty to manhandle, threaten or otherwise behave threateningly to protesters who are walking peaceably by his chair. He will rightfully be criticized for this and will likely lose his position. A small minority of men's rights activists will laud him for sticking up for male victims everywhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭Cryptopagan

There’s something particularly pathetic about seeing Irish people sticking up for one of these Tory cretins.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭AustinLostin

She was part of a group who were literally wearing sashes identifying themselves as climate activists. They'd been speaking for a couple of minutes prior to this assault occurring and it was entirely obvious who they wear. Indeed, one of her associates who walked down the aisle on the opposite side was stopped by someone who put their arm out in front of her, which was the reasonable reaction of a normal non-violent human being.

Yeah this is an important point, video is cut so we only see her moving up the room. Not any time before or after. What's the point in debating blame without the full context?

I agree with your position that his behaviour was unacceptable but stop with this nonsense.

I am expressing my opinions. It's rather undermining for you simply say stop with this nonsense.

I must admit my brain might not be as 'logical' as you guys. I might be a little more naive etc. I might not be as smart etc :o

But i am expressing my opinions in the best way i can in a courteous manner. And i think that should be respected even if my opinion is not.

I am a person and I have feelings.

I am just not as good at arguing as you guys. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Hurrache wrote: »
    Like so many other normal people did in the video.

Look at the longer video, it was obvious from the outset, before she got near where he leapt into action to save the day, there was no threat.

Can you see what’s in her bag/purse in the longer video??

There’s something particularly pathetic about seeing Irish people sticking up for one of these Tory cretins.

West Brits!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

Exactly if the MP genuinely believed there was a real threat, knife gun whatever, he would have used more force.
    It is very obvious this woman was nothing more than a nuisance to him.
    So all this talk of "real men" and "neutralising a threat" is just nonsense.

Advertisement