Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Turning very warm or hot with thunderstorm potential Sun eve 23rd---->

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,425 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Models don't develop much convection on Thursday but Wales has been soaked with over 200 mm rain this month and a warm, humid flow crossing Wales towards Ireland could pick up considerable low-level moisture. In other words, don't be surprised if thunderstorm chances upgrade closer to the time.

Contest still open, lots of entries, consensus seems to be about 28 C potential for Thursday. Some give the nod to Friday. Looks to me like a cold front will activate from west to east on Friday and a second wave will form Saturday so plenty of chances for thunderstorm activity.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭compsys

Thankfully, tomorrow will be a much sunnier day right across the country (apart from the far southwest) which will allow those temperatures to stretch a bit.

Drab and dreary today really but was warm enough in Dublin.

Will it though? The problem with the Irish climate is that good weather always seems to be on a knife edge, no matter what the synoptics.

In Dublin at least, sometimes the better the forecast, and the stronger the high pressure over us, the worse the weather I find as sea breezes and mist and fog then roll in :rolleyes:.

Often I find the best days in Dublin are when the forecast is non eventful. I mean the forecast last Saturday was pretty poor for Dublin and we ended up with over 10 hours of sunshine and temps up to 19c (not hot but OK for June at least).

Today was supposed to be OK for most of Ireland - even as late as this morning the forecast was OK and look what happened.

Even good weather forecast for just a few hours away manages to go pear shaped!

OK mini rant over but I really hope tomorrow is half decent.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,008 ✭✭✭squarecircles

Fab evening, warm and balmy, west Mayo.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,544 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

compsys wrote: »
    Will it though? The problem with the Irish climate is that good weather always seems to be on a knife edge, no matter what the synoptics.

In Dublin at least, sometimes the better the forecast, and the stronger the high pressure over us, the worse the weather I find as sea breezes and mist and fog then roll in :rolleyes:.

Often I find the best days in Dublin are when the forecast is non eventful. I mean the forecast last Saturday was pretty poor for Dublin and we ended up with over 10 hours of sunshine and temps up to 19c (not hot but OK for June at least).

Today was supposed to be OK for most of Ireland - even as late as this morning the forecast was OK and look what happened.

Never really noticed that but now that you say it, I do remember a good few days this year where the forecast suggested a beautiful day in Dublin but it either turned out to be a hazy mess or overcast. 25th February was expected to be the best day of the period but the sun was very hazy here though thankfully the 26th more than made up for it with a full day of blue skies (still my favourite day of the year so far).

19th April (Good Friday) had very few blue skies and sun was hazy. Was disappointed as I went to Ardgillan hoping for some nice photographic opportunities but the weather said no. The next three days after that were magnificent however.

5th May had a morning of blue skies then the rest of the day was overcast compared to other counties which had a very nice day going by comments on here then.

Very strange.

The cloud has become ever so slightly lighter now here in Dublin 13 but still mainly cloudy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

km79 wrote: »
    Look it
    If clonmel1000 is happy we are all happy
    :D

I don't think so
    I suspect the preponderance of people here that want Ireland to defy the laws of gravity, nevermind the simple science of our climate located where we are and wish the impossible all the time will go on

Pardon the pun,but we must listen to thunder

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,607 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

compsys wrote: »

The forecast hasn't gone exactly to plan so far :pac:

Normally we are not this poor! :D

But the sun will be out tomorrow (I promise)...:D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,923 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Fab evening, warm and balmy, west Mayo.

You deserve it, considering the battering many on the West Coast get during Atlantic storms. Enjoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

You deserve it, considering the battering many on the West Coast get during Atlantic storms. Enjoy.

They are the most interesting part of being in Mayo, have pity on us for the rest of what we have to put up with ;)

It is a lovely evening though, following the same pattern as yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭rafatoni

sryanbruen wrote: »
    Still overcast in Dublin, very disappointing day.

Just had heavy misty rain in south dublin and actually feels cool enough. 16c according to the app.

Brutal day as you say.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

With the breeze picking up tomorrow I'm expecting clear sunny skies for the next 3 days. With the upper temperaturea soaring to record levels I'd be amazed if 30C isn't reached somewhere. Either way expect the uppers to make their presence felt by Thursday!!

By the way the ppn today was dreadful with storms limited to Cork/Kerry border which was very disappointing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,315 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Never really noticed that but now that you say it, I do remember a good few days this year where the forecast suggested a beautiful day in Dublin but it either turned out to be a hazy mess or overcast. 25th February was expected to be the best day of the period but the sun was very hazy here though thankfully the 26th more than made up for it with a full day of blue skies (still my favourite day of the year so far).

19th April (Good Friday) had very few blue skies and sun was hazy. Was disappointed as I went to Ardgillan hoping for some nice photographic opportunities but the weather said no. The next three days after that were magnificent however.

5th May had a morning of blue skies then the rest of the day was overcast compared to other counties which had a very nice day going by comments on here then.

Very strange.

The cloud has become ever so slightly lighter now here in Dublin 13 but still mainly cloudy.

Even days during the hot spell last year fell victim to mist and sea fogs... Especially around where we are in Portmarnock/Malahide

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,790 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

very dark clouds for the past 4 or 5 hours, looked like rain all afternoon but not a drop has fallen. Today maxed out at 18C (same as yesterday) and back to 17C now.

I'm really hoping there is some sun tomorrow and higher temperatures.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭Artane2002

Very strange.

I've also noticed quite a few times when we had easterlies, Met Eireann say something along the lines of "just a few isolated showers" but we end up with a total washout of a day, with rain pretty much all day, like late November 2018 and I think the start of May this year and possibly April.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,605 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Glorious evening in tipp,not a cloud in the sky

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭YanSno

Tomorrow expecting same type of weather cloudy and dull. Looking at icon cloud cover doesn't look great , lucky ones in the Midlands might see a break with sunny spells during the day. Out the whole week Thursday is looking good max 25c-27c

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

The thunderstorms from the cold front passing Friday are looking a lot less likely on latest guidance as is the heat
    Might be none of both
    Epic early model fail if it pans like that

• Registered Users Posts: 3,034 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Still sunny here about 20kms from Galway bay it appears we have been lucky according to the cloud cover on the satellite loop.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,144 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

22.1c and sunny in West Clare, with moderate large drops of rain. Dewpoint of 17c.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭compsys

YanSno wrote: »
    Tomorrow expecting same type of weather cloudy and dull. Looking at icon cloud cover doesn't look great , lucky ones in the Midlands might see a break with sunny spells during the day. Out the whole week Thursday is looking good max 25c-27c

This is what I mean. We literally have high pressure right over us and all we’re getting is cloud.

Can the weather experts explain why that happens? Is it because we’re surrounded by the sea? Like I thought high pressure usually meant good weather in summer.

I mean you’d see more sun sometimes between the showers with low pressure right over us.

*sigh*

• Registered Users Posts: 4,680 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Currently sunny in Cork City and around 19 degrees or so still! Nice and warm but humid!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,315 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

ME are not exactly going for big temps around here anyway.

Nice to see yellow balls on the app at least

• Registered Users Posts: 2,008 ✭✭✭squarecircles

My balls are red. :0

That reminds me,need more sun block.

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭eon1208

Mortelaro wrote: »
    The thunderstorms from the cold front passing Friday are looking a lot less likely on latest guidance as is the heat
    Might be none of both
    Epic early model fail if it pans like that
    When is the next solid prediction of precipitation. How is Saturday and Sunday looking into monday. Could do with some pointers in the midlands.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,959 ✭✭✭pauldry

21.1c in Sligo 9pm. Hottest its been all day

• Registered Users Posts: 15,425 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Folks can someone explain why the yr app is showing max of 22 for dub for Thur and fri?

Do they know something ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Mobhi1

The cloud has broken a bit and finally let some sun shine. But it's only 16.2C now. The high for the day and the month was 19.9C earlier. This morning was quite pleasant with a fair amount of sunshine but later this afternoon was quite cool and I had to wear a jumper when I was out.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,790 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

sky gone blue here now as the sun is setting, too little too late to save the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭klaaaz

eon1208 wrote: »
    When is the next solid prediction of precipitation. How is Saturday and Sunday looking into monday. Could do with some pointers in the midlands.

This is the ECMWF for daytime Sat and Sun, it can change that far ahead

3xhQmZ0.gif

Today's max temperatures, majority of the country in the mid to high teens with the mid-west just nudging into the 20C.

Today's temperatures in the UK very different from what was predicted up to yesterday. The heat not really making it past the English channel.

txint_uk.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,352 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Folks can someone explain why the yr app is showing max of 22 for dub for Thur and fri?

Do they know something ?

They tend to show an average temperature or maybe its a shade temperature. Even for last years heatwave, their predictors were several degrees below what it actually was.

Advertisement