Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Death knell for petrol and diesel cars?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭turbbo

Danzy wrote: »
    Typo meant petrol and diesel.

Diesel is dead to big car makers and petrol isn't far behind.

Quote a non Japanese based company that is saying Diesel is dead - the Japanese car companies never really got into diesel - hence the Diesel is dead rhetoric coming from Toyota. If Diesel is dead so is Petrol - It's carbon emissions that the governments have to curb. Hybrids and the like are just a way for car companies to buy themselves time - they really need to speed up and join Tesla and start making proper EVs with reasonable comfort levels, and reduce the cost because at the moment they are no match for what Diesels offer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

People are living in cloud cookoo land if they think Ireland has the infrastructure to deal with charging for all these proposed EV's.

LOLs. The HORROR

Seeing as all you need is access to a frikken socket, I think we can manage it.
    :rolleyes:

Ref: We're in our 5th year of driving EVs. Charge at home or at work, once a week. You'd swear Ireland was the size of south america the way people go on.

And for the record, our 5 year old car has a battery degradation of 0%. Still showing at 97% cell health, same as the day we swished silently off the forecourt in it. The 3 year old one is the same.. Ireland doesn't have the extremes of high and low temperatures that cause battery damage in cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,359 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

turbbo wrote: »
    Quote a non Japanese based company that is saying Diesel is dead - the Japanese car companies never really got into diesel - hence the Diesel is dead rhetoric coming from Toyota. If Diesel is dead so is Petrol - It's carbon emissions that the governments have to curb. Hybrids and the like are just a way for car companies to buy themselves time - they really need to speed up and join Tesla and start making proper EVs with reasonable comfort levels, and reduce the cost because at the moment they are no match for what Diesels offer.

Volvo are phasing out diesel on all new models.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,280 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

People are living in cloud cookoo land if they think Ireland has the infrastructure to deal with charging for all these proposed EV's.

If the will is there it is readily doable.

Given the accelerating growth of electrics across Europe currently it will leave us falling behind.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,267 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Can't be good news for new non electric car sales. It's been coming in fairness and it's something that needs to happen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,433 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

PaddyFagan wrote: »
    The article (in the OP) is clearer than others I’ve read. No petrol or diesel new cars from 2030 on, no NCTs for petrol or diesels from 2045.

So no car sold in 2020 will be impacted - unless less you’re getting a 25 year finance deal :o

And of course, they may yet back down - I suspect some “classic” rule for the NCT will be worked out.

Paddy

40 year old cars do not require NCT on rolling basis anyway, so <2004 cars not affected

• Registered Users Posts: 27,053 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

jmayo wrote: »
    And do you think that marvelous new EV, hybrid, whatever car is magically constructed without any pollution ?
    And if it is electric or hybrid then where does all that lithium magically appear from ?
    No. How much pollution in manufacturing an ICE car?
    Not sure why you keep referring to magic...
    BTW how often do you replace your car ?
    When it becomes uneconomical to run it or it no longer suits me needs.

And yes you can make all the snide rolleyes you like, but if you just replace your fully functioning tablet, and especially your phone, just to get the latest one you are bloody well polluting the planet for no reason.
    Indeed. Did anyone advise anyone else to do anything like this? Or are you just strawmanning?
    Likewise with the eejits running out to buy the likes of a new fridge with a bloody tablet.
    See above.
    Well it does have around 12kg of lithium.

Of course the mining and refining of that has no pollution effects according to some round here. :rolleyes:

Did anyone here actually say this Worzel?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

GreeBo wrote: »
    THey have a long, long way to go to reach the fuel costs of Petrol or Diesel.

Does that not depend on taxation policy? Duty and VAT on petrol/ diesel is a handy income for Revenue as it stands. Diminish that and how do you replace? A nice fat duty on swappable batteries or some such mechanism. It will be found. There's no free lunch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭bcklschaps

n97 mini wrote: »
    I was listening to the news on the radio today and I don't know how many times I heard the word "tax". Doesn't seem like anything other than a tax a strategy. No gas boilers beyond 2025. Why not develop a biogas strategy? Gas is clean burning after all.

And then there's no mention of agriculture, which is the biggest source of emissions, but is projected to just grow and grow. Almost as if they're aiming for 100% of our emissions to come from agriculture.

"Kite flying" is exactly what this whole report is. Fine Gael spin doctors have been burning the midnight oil since the local/EU elections.

They see an opportunity to tap into the Green wave (if you were cynical, you could say they are trying to steal the Green parties clothes).

I wouldn't worry unecessarily about anything in this report...some very watered down proposals will probably make it into legislation somewhere down the road.

BarryD2 wrote: »
    Does that not depend on taxation policy? Duty and VAT on petrol/ diesel is a handy income for Revenue as it stands. Diminish that and how do you replace? A nice fat duty on swappable batteries or some such mechanism. It will be found. There's no free lunch.

There is still a massive gap in costs to run an EV.

Today it will cost you €265 a year to travel 20,000KM+ in electricity costs.
    Whats the equivalent diesel cost?

Maintenance costs are far lower on an EV...what consumables are you replacing?

A battery is currently around 7K, lets go mad and say they tax that up to 10K.

You are still miles ahead of where you would be with an ICE.

No one is saying its free, anyone who has looked into it is saying its miles cheaper.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,610 ✭✭✭creedp

bcklschaps wrote: »
    "Kite flying" is exactly what this whole report is. Fine Gael spin doctors have been burning the midnight oil since the local/EU elections.

They see an opportunity to tap into the Green wave (if you were cynical, you could say they are trying to steal the Green parties clothes).

I wouldn't worry unecessarily about anything in this report...some very watered down proposals will probably make it into legislation somewhere down the road.

Fully agree with 1st 2 sentences. Not so sure about the 3rd. Govt completely hamstrung in trying to deliver their promise to reduce income taxes prior to election .. great excuse to revert to relying on one of the old reliables that has largely been ignored in recent years

• Registered Users Posts: 13,280 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

No one is saying its free, anyone who has looked into it is saying its miles cheaper.

It is cost and profit margin, the fight to maintain Market share that will ultimately kill the Internal Combustion engine not Govt tax breaks, not corporate concern for the environment.

Diesel and Petrol will fall behind and the cost of improving their efficiency and the potential room to are not justifiable use of capital.

Diesel and Petrol are going to be replaced, same as they pushed out whale oil and timber.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,306 ✭✭✭✭elperello

You are correct.
    The equivalent cost for 20,000 km is much higher in a diesel depending on the model chosen.
    The thing is though lots of lower income people can gather 5 or 6 thousand euro to buy a diesel and pay the fuel as they go.
    People like that haven't a hope of buying an electric car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭Mike9832

What battery is 7k to buy?

elperello wrote: »
    You are correct.
    The equivalent cost for 20,000 km is much higher in a diesel depending on the model chosen.
    The thing is though lots of lower income people can gather 5 or 6 thousand euro to buy a diesel and pay the fuel as they go.
    People like that haven't a hope of buying an electric car.

If they are doing high mileage then a loan will actually be cheaper than buying a replacement used car every few years or struggling to keep the same one of the road after its useful life.

The difference between the fuel and paying off a loan can be small enough, especially if you buy a used EV.

Mike9832 wrote: »
    What battery is 7k to buy?

I wasn't referring to a specific one, but for example
    https://greentecauto.com/repurposed-batteries/nissan-leaf-battery-replacement-program

They will take your old battery and sell you are a refurb for a fraction of the cost of a new one.
    They also repurpose the old ones for deep storage (house batteries etc)

It's easy to say "oh batteries will die and then what"
    But people have been refurbing car engines, gearboxes and clutches for decades, why wouldnt a whole new industry in battery refurb spring up?

I fully expect that my current car will be my last ICE but, like many others, I can not afford to just jump to EV. Or rather that I can not justify a multi thousand write off and putting myself into massive debt for it.

I am just rolling up to 100k on my car and could easily expect to get another 100-120k. Now that easily allows the EV market to mature, for me, and still be well within any punitive measures timeline but there will be many many others who will not be in this situation.
    Punishing people who already have ICE cars, or can not afford to purchase new EVs, is not the answer. Blocking people BUYING new ICE is, let the current fleet fade out without punishing current owners and you will be able to bring this in sooner, with less resistance, and in a less regressive manner to lower income people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

What makes you think e-cars are the solution? Bicycles and public transport IMO. There is not enough resources in the world to replace petrol and diesel cars with electric.

That's fine in a city but I live 40 km from work and there is no public transport from where I live.

Deisel is my only option.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

bcklschaps wrote: »

Most of what is in it came from a Joint Oireachtas Committee. There's really nothing too shocking in it unless you're dead against the idea in the first place. Indeed some of it makes a lot of sense even if you wonder how much of it might be achieved.
    Who's going to water the proposals down? The only possible issue is how carbon tax will be applied.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

What makes you think e-cars are the solution? Bicycles and public transport IMO. There is not enough resources in the world to replace petrol and diesel cars with electric.
    Bicycles are not really an option much over about 10km each way and are out of the question outside urban areas. Public transport can solve a lot of urban problems but outside of that it has less scope.

• Advertisement

I wasn't referring to a specific one, but for example
    https://greentecauto.com/repurposed-batteries/nissan-leaf-battery-replacement-program

They will take your old battery and sell you are a refurb for a fraction of the cost of a new one.
    They also repurpose the old ones for deep storage (house batteries etc)

It's easy to say "oh batteries will die and then what"
    But people have been refurbing car engines, gearboxes and clutches for decades, why wouldnt a whole new industry in battery refurb spring up?

True it will pop up

• Registered Users Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭Markcheese

25 years ago diesels were driven by farmers... (and sales reps), By 10 years ago they were ubiquitous.
    Once it becomes the done thing.. Then almost everyone will go electric.. And those "new" electrics will take 10 years or so to completely trickle down,
    No one will ban petrol or diesel cars... But cost will convince those who can to change...
    And commercials will still be diesels...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

That's fine in a city but I live 40 km from work and there is no public transport from where I live.

Deisel is my only option.

Well, EV is an option, if you can afford it and for 40KM commute, you can pickup a used leaf for cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,518 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

My current diesel is two years old but we have diesels in the family from less than a year old to 15 years old

Did you end up actually buying a brand new diesel car on PCP finance?

Markcheese wrote: »

For now...

By the way, only about a million all-electric passenger cars are being exploited all over the world.

How long since they became widely available? (Arguably still not yet)
    How long have ICE cars been around?

Markcheese wrote: »

For now...

Government should lead by example here

Gardaí, Defence, Emergency services, basically the whole lot should be moving to EV if they are so suitable

Charge points to be installed at all those premises

Think 99% of Government fleet is diesel/petrol

Some clever lot

• Registered Users Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭Markcheese

For now...

True,
    I reckon a lot will go hybrid, either phev or just Toyota style...( could be better than the pollution control on modern diesels,)
    But I can't see heavy commercials not being diesel in some way (well for a long while anyway)

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 14,306 ✭✭✭✭elperello

If they are doing high mileage then a loan will actually be cheaper than buying a replacement used car every few years or struggling to keep the same one of the road after its useful life.

The difference between the fuel and paying off a loan can be small enough, especially if you buy a used EV.

I can see your point re. the loan replacing fuel costs but others are suggesting that the "fuel" cost of electrics will rise to replace the lost revenue from petrol and diesel.
    I suppose that eventually used EVs will trickle down in the market and suit many peoples needs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭lalababa

Micky 32 wrote: »
    lalababa wrote: »
    I'm sorry. I just don't know how you can use all 300BHP on a public road. Is there a car computer app. that can measure it?

Yes you can if you want to, quite handy for overtaking, i also like the feel of the acceleration, i love it :p Also more power especially torque makes the car more relaxing to drive without having to drive fast. When i get into my fathers 100bhp car i find the car more work and tiring to drive on a long drive.

But once again you're missing the point of my post about the Tesla. The point was EV's can be good.
    I am not happy with my 109BHP car ATM, I really really have to work hard to pass anything out or beat the crowd to the lights, and then double the work beating them away from the lights. Me right foot is f**ked I tell you, and the poor car is stressed out. I think you have me coverted and I will get a 300BHP next time round. And the next time after that sure I'd want a 400BHP. But seriously in what legal/safe driving situation can you actually use all 300BHP? Could you use them if perhaps you are in too high a gear when overtaking? But that wouldn't work 'coz you'd be well over the speed limit if using all those horses in a high gear.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement