Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Death knell for petrol and diesel cars?

Options
1596061626365»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

There's a simple solution to all of this: Ignore List ;)

Edit: I'm sure there's some Clarkson-esque meandering drivel following this post but I can't see it, it's great :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    He or she is a mod.....personal insults doesn't matter!!!
    They do and actually I reported my own post.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,839 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

44.5kw electric mg. 21500 sterling for first one thousand orders in the uk , not being sold in this banana republic ...

https://www.am-online.com/roadtests/car-reviews/mg-zs-ev-the-first-family-and-wallet-friendly-electric-car

• Registered Users Posts: 27,055 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

creedp wrote: »
    What's my alternative .. other than a Model X?

Ah in fairness I did say that the choices were pretty slim, just genuinely asking what its costing you to keep that diesel on the road.

I had a 2.0 Petrol 1998 Avensis that I kept for far too long because I thought I couldn't afford to change it...when I did the maths I actually couldnt afford to keep it!

Idbatterim wrote: »
    44.5kw electric mg. 21500 sterling for first one thousand orders in the uk , not being sold in this banana republic ...

https://www.am-online.com/roadtests/car-reviews/mg-zs-ev-the-first-family-and-wallet-friendly-electric-car

Bah, yet another SUV EV...where are all the EV estates?!
    Even the Volvo PHEV is an arm and a leg at €90K+

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Idbatterim wrote: »

Fairly easy to order in I think, would need to check on electric car forum

• Registered Users Posts: 17,839 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Fairly easy to order in I think, would need to check on electric car forum

They have a dealer in Northern Ireland afaik!

kceire wrote: »
    There you go again, resorting to childish personal attacks and abuse.
    Says a lot about you.

Meh, there's a pair of you at it, tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,610 ✭✭✭creedp

GreeBo wrote: »
    Ah in fairness I did say that the choices were pretty slim, just genuinely asking what its costing you to keep that diesel on the road.

I had a 2.0 Petrol 1998 Avensis that I kept for far too long because I thought I couldn't afford to change it...when I did the maths I actually couldnt afford to keep it!

Roughly speaking €200 for std service (I change the oil myself between garage services), €570 to tax, €500 to insure, and then there is the usual bits and pieces incl tyres, brake pads, etc. I got the timing belt, clutch/DMF, rear suspension bushings, done a couple of years back. NCT every year. Before I got the leaf I'd pump about €70 a week in diesel into it but now its about €10 - €15 pw except when I do a long journey, i.e. the ones the L30 is not suitable for......

Given that I need a 7 seater could you recommend a more economical option?

Meh, there's a pair of you at it, tbh.

Your posts come across like a spotty teenager who furiously posts away from his bedroom in his parents house, surrounded by spent tissues and car magazines, anxiously waiting for the postman to deliver his new, stylish 6 foot spoiler to go on his mommys '95 Glanza so that finally the pink titanium exhaust extension that he got for chrimbo last year will have a match and he can go spinning up in the Dublin mountains with all the other cool kids and laugh at all the saps in their electric cars who just dont "get" cars like he does.

I thing we were all getting on reasonably well until the above was posted ..

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,471 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Genuinely, nothing really. The 7 seater market in EV world is non existent. At least to the average joe that can’t afford Model S or X.

* new

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

liamog wrote: »
    I'm a fan of systems like the Insurance Group Rating in the UK (https://www.thatcham.org/what-we-do/insurance-group-rating/) makes it somewhat easier to predict and compare insurance costs.

A 2017 and 2019 Hyundai Ioniq have exactly the same safety features, when the 2017 model hits 15 years old it will magically go up in premiums due to extra "risk".

That's the issue isn't it. I'd happy keep my leaf for another 10 years, teach the kids to drive in it, let it be a runabout for them when starting to drive, there isn't much that can go wrong with it. There is no engine wear to worry about, seems like a perfect starter car.

Will I be able to insure it then is the question. Probably not is the answer, the way today's insurance looks. We got rid of our own last car when it turned 10 because the insurance just rocketed.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

pwurple wrote: »
    Will I be able to insure it then is the question. Probably not is the answer, the way today's insurance looks. We got rid of our own last car when it turned 10 because the insurance just rocketed.
    THis is a major issue that needs adressing alright P. Whatever about the safety clause insurance companies use today, in ten years time a Leaf, a very safe car, will likely be damn near as safe as anything new in 2029. Let's face it there were plenty of cars in 2009 with very good safety systems and the insurance crowd wheel that BS out. It's not as if we're talking about 1970's Cortinas here.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Really limited, Nissan have a 7 seater but nothing that would be described as fashionable.....a small van with doors

We have Multimac system which we can swap between cars depending on needs!!

Roughly speaking €200 for std service (I change the oil myself between garage services), €570 to tax, €500 to insure, and then there is the usual bits and pieces incl tyres, brake pads, etc. I got the timing belt, clutch/DMF, rear suspension bushings, done a couple of years back. NCT every year. Before I got the leaf I'd pump about €70 a week in diesel into it but now its about €10 - €15 pw except when I do a long journey, i.e. the ones the L30 is not suitable for......

Given that I need a 7 seater could you recommend a more economical option?

How much was the clutch/DMF/timing belt etc? (stuff that you wont need to touch on an EV) This is the sort of stuff that you need to look at over the life span of a diesel to figure out how much its actually costing you.

If you actually need the 7 seats then you are probably looking at the outlander phev for about €40K. It does 45Km on the battery, so if you mostly do short trips but have occasional long ones, for now anyway (and unless you can afford the Model X!) it seems to be they best of both worlds.

And you dont have to worry about getting stranded ;)

Wibbs wrote: »
    THis is a major issue that needs adressing alright P. Whatever about the safety clause insurance companies use today, in ten years time a Leaf, a very safe car, will likely be damn near as safe as anything new in 2029. Let's face it there were plenty of cars in 2009 with very good safety systems and the insurance crowd wheel that BS out. It's not as if we're talking about 1970's Cortinas here.

Plenty people spinning around in so-called 'classis cars' as daily runners with cheap insurance. I haven't heard of them causing deaths and general mayhem on the roads as yet. I though the reason the insurance industry went down this particular road was to prevent lads buying cheap wrecks of cars and staging accidents in then to claim personal injury compensation. I didn't realise they actually jacked up insurance premiums on a long termer already owned by a person.

Really limited, Nissan have a 7 seater but nothing that would be described as fashionable.....a small van with doors

We have Multimac system which we can swap between cars depending on needs!!

My eldest is 16 so I'm afraid the multimac is not suitable! The Nissan van doesn't inspire me with automotive love and in any case I'd never get the clan to put up with charging on longer journeys

GreeBo wrote: »
    How much was the clutch/DMF/timing belt etc? (stuff that you wont need to touch on an EV) This is the sort of stuff that you need to look at over the life span of a diesel to figure out how much its actually costing you.

If you actually need the 7 seats then you are probably looking at the outlander phev for about €40K. It does 45Km on the battery, so if you mostly do short trips but have occasional long ones, for now anyway (and unless you can afford the Model X!) it seems to be they best of both worlds.

And you dont have to worry about getting stranded ;)

My understanding is the Outlander Phev only has 5 seats. I would certainly be interested in it if it has 7!

I didn't realise they actually jacked up insurance premiums on a long termer already owned by a person.
    Oh god yeah they did. Have a read of some of the tales in the insurance forum. Yes I can understand being loaded on a fifteen year old car someone buys last week for fifty quid, but a car the same person/family has had for ten or fifteen years? I've known a few people who had to update their car because of it and the cars they had to get rid of were just basic transport, nothing you could describe as sporty. Things like Micras, small engined Golfs and the like. They were all over 30 years of age too. I've been loaded to hell too, but TBH can kinda understand that, though last year, out of the blue the premium halved and the broker did say it was because I was the long term owner. Problem is it could double next year. No apparent rhyme or reason to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭cadaliac

Plenty people spinning around in so-called 'classis cars' as daily runners with cheap insurance. I haven't heard of them causing deaths and general mayhem on the roads as yet. I though the reason the insurance industry went down this particular road was to prevent lads buying cheap wrecks of cars and staging accidents in then to claim personal injury compensation. I didn't realise they actually jacked up insurance premiums on a long termer already owned by a person.
    Lets face it. The Insurance industry is a joke. They simply can't justify these hikes without telling bare faced lies. In any case, it's not going to change.
    I remember the line they spun about classic cars also. Afraid that people will stage accidents. If they are going to do that, they'll do it anyway, classic car or not.
    The insurance industry on a whole, galls me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭elperello

My understanding is the Outlander Phev only has 5 seats. I would certainly be interested in it if it has 7!

You are right the PHEV does not come with 7 seats the diesel does.
    AFAIK it's a matter of space for the battery.
    Even in the diesel the 3rd row is quite small.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Closed for review

Feel free to start threads in Electric Vehicles & Hybrids forum for specific questions in the meantime

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement