Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Death knell for petrol and diesel cars?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

"A car-scrappage scheme is under consideration for next year in a bid to promote a move toward electric vehicles (EVs)."

interesting, problem is its the Irish government, if it goes ahead, we might see it in 2024

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭phill106

copeyhagen wrote: »
    "A car-scrappage scheme is under consideration for next year in a bid to promote a move toward electric vehicles (EVs)."

interesting, problem is its the Irish government, if it goes ahead, we might see it in 2024

I would think that headlines such as this would actually slowdown EV purchase, with people waiting to see if there will be a grant coming, reducing the costs to change.

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭beanian

Nothing new in the climate action plan with respect to EVs
    https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/climate-action-travel/#electric-vehicles

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Casher

beanian wrote: »
    Nothing new in the climate action plan with respect to EVs
    https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/climate-action-travel/#electric-vehicles

Spotted action 153 “Introduce civil service mileage rates for electric vehicles reflecting the costs incurred by drivers using their own vehicles for work” to be done by Q2 2020.
    I presume that will greatly reduce the mileage rate that I currently have which is for engine capacity up to 1200cc and is very generous considering what the travel actually costs along with the costs of wear & tear on the vehicle, tax, insurance etc.

Might be Feed In Tariff by 2021 lol.

No Petrol or Diesel cars in towns or cities, get real who do they think they are in fairness, yellow vest protests on the way I'd say lol.

Car manufacturers need to produce cheaper electric cars and much more models before the Government can just decide to ban them, a proper infrastructure that relies less on cars in the first place.

They need to consider the hardship more tax will create on the less well off, we're already taxed to the hilt here as it is !

Proper alternatives, heatpumps ? great make them cheaper.

Electric cars ? make them cheaper and make more models. It's shocking the few electric car models out there.

Not everyone can afford to go out and buy new cars, the Government are off their rocker if they think they can just tax their way out of the climate extortion movement anyway.

Anthropocentric climate change is the greatest load of bullsh1t anyway but by all means change to eliminate actual pollution.

How about grants to Farmers to plant more real hardwood forest that would be illegal to cut ? Make the forest available to the Public, create proper walkways and cycle lanes, look at Germany for example, fantastic cycle lane network that links towns and villages and goes through woods etc.

Proper rail network, proper underground in Dublin, rail that links up business parks or at least light rail links up to train stops etc etc.

The Government looking for the easy way out as usual and talking without thinking.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 426 ✭✭Nikki Sixx

https://m.independent.ie/news/environment/revealed-proposed-petrol-and-diesel-car-ban-in-towns-and-tax-hikes-how-climate-change-action-strategy-will-affect-you-38224591.html
    Proposed petrol and diesel car ban in towns and tax hikes - how climate change action strategy will affect you
    City centre ban and tax hike for petrol and diesel vehicles
    Oil and gas boilers will be banned in new buildings
    Single-use plastics to be hit with higher taxes

Motorists and businesses will feel the brunt of tax hikes unless they actively invest in going green. The Government plans to force petrol and diesel cars off our roads, introduce new buildings regulations and change the school curriculum in a bid to counteract climate change.

The plan has a major emphasis on the transport sector. Proposals include banning petrol and diesel cars from town centres around the country.

A car-scrappage scheme is under consideration for next year in a bid to promote a move toward electric vehicles (EVs).

How will all this affect p.c.p. financing on diesels and electrics bought this year? Will the “guaranteed values” for three years time be made sh1t of?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭PaddyFagan

The article (in the OP) is clearer than others I’ve read. No petrol or diesel new cars from 2030 on, no NCTs for petrol or diesels from 2045.

So no car sold in 2020 will be impacted - unless less you’re getting a 25 year finance deal :o

And of course, they may yet back down - I suspect some “classic” rule for the NCT will be worked out.

Paddy

PaddyFagan wrote: »
    The article (in the OP) is clearer than others I’ve read. No petrol or diesel new cars from 2030 on, no NCTs for petrol or diesels from 2045.

So no car sold in 2020 will be impacted - unless less you’re getting a 25 year finance deal :o

And of course, they may yet back down - I suspect some “classic” rule for the NCT will be worked out.

Paddy

You are right Paddy. But this will change attitudes towards Diesels in particular. That parity in the price of diesel and petrol can be brought in with the stroke of a pen. I can see some headline grabbing politician bringing that in sooner rather than later. Also the push towards electric cars will happen sooner than they are saying. I feel they are flying a kite to see people’s reaction. With the recent popularity of the Green Party, all these ideas can be fast tracked.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

I was listening to the news on the radio today and I don't know how many times I heard the word "tax". Doesn't seem like anything other than a tax a strategy. No gas boilers beyond 2025. Why not develop a biogas strategy? Gas is clean burning after all.

And then there's no mention of agriculture, which is the biggest source of emissions, but is projected to just grow and grow. Almost as if they're aiming for 100% of our emissions to come from agriculture.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64,837 ✭✭✭✭unkel

A complete diesel car ban in our cities can't come quick enough. Several other countries have already implemented it, hopefully we will be next.
    n97 mini wrote: »
    No gas boilers beyond 2025. Why not develop a biogas strategy? Gas is clean burning after all.

That's in new houses though. They are so well insulated that you don't need to have a powerful fossil fuel boiler any more. A more efficient, low power (and zero emissions) electric heat pump will do. By then these will be smart enough to mostly run when electricity production is fully renewable (zero emissions again) and as such very cheap (just a few cent per kWh)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,590 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

I was listening to the news on the radio today and I don't know how many times I heard the word "tax". Doesn't seem like anything other than a tax a strategy. No new gas boilers beyond 2025. Why not develop a biogas strategy? Gas is clean burning after all.

And then there's no mention of agriculture, which is the biggest source of emissions, but is projected to just grow and grow. Almost as if they're aiming for 100% of our emissions to come from agriculture.

I fixed your post for you. It is no new gas boilers from 2025 but there will still be plenty of houses out there with both oil and gas boilers. I would say it will take another decade or two before there is no gas or oil boilers in any houses.

Also I think its great. I never liked diesel cars they are dirty but petrol were not too bad. I do think it will be great if there is a million electric cars on the roads in the next decade and less petrol as well as dirty diesel cars.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭onetimecypher

Of course not. After bribing farmers with €50m from EU fund matched with another €50m from Varadker AND then diluting farmers costs for Fair Deal scheme to keep them in power (here and in EU), there was no way that farmers were going to be hit.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

I wonder what the plan is for buses, trucks, vans, plant equipment...etc.

125,000 new cars sold last year in Ireland. Hitting 1m e-cars by 2030 is ambitious given the price point and lack of options such as reasonably priced SUV and MPV.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,281 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

unkel wrote: »
    A complete diesel car ban in our cities can't come quick enough. Several other countries have already implemented it, hopefully we will be next.

That's in new houses though. They are so well insulated that you don't need to have a powerful fossil fuel boiler any more. A more efficient, low power (and zero emissions) electric heat pump will do. By then these will be smart enough to mostly run when electricity production is fully renewable (zero emissions again) and as such very cheap (just a few cent per kWh)

New developments should be expected to use communal heat pump heating systems rather than a whole pile of smaller heat pump systems.

There's no reason that new developments can't have shared hot water/heating systems

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/motors/how-clean-is-an-electric-car-really-1.3928664?mode=amp

I think it will take a while for change to happen. I don't think ICE cars are future but they will be around for a bit, supply of suitable EVs isn't there. I hope they offer some initiatives for heat pumps though. 10 years ago we looked into it and calculated cost and savings and oil boiler came cheaper. Now if they offer good grants switching might be beneficial.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭shopper2011

jon1981 wrote:
    125,000 new cars sold last year in Ireland. Hitting 1m e-cars by 2030 is ambitious given the price point and lack of options such as reasonably priced SUV and MPV.

What makes you think e-cars are the solution? Bicycles and public transport IMO. There is not enough resources in the world to replace petrol and diesel cars with electric.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,479 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

I was listening to the news on the radio today and I don't know how many times I heard the word "tax". Doesn't seem like anything other than a tax a strategy. No gas boilers beyond 2025. Why not develop a biogas strategy? Gas is clean burning after all.

Read the damn report, section 11 is dedicated to agriculture 🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 28,118 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

jon1981 wrote: »
    I wonder what the plan is for buses, trucks, vans, plant equipment...etc.

That's it where's the 7 seaters and 4x4's. Were going to need diesel and petrol for years to come. Encourage people to change with incentives but also realise it's not for everyone. It's a plan they should maybe start in 10yrs when there's a large enough second hand market of EV's and the infrastructure is there. By then we'll probably all want Hydrogen cars though.
    It's still very early days in a new technology, policy should be wait and see. Ireland is going to have such a little impact on a global scale it'll all be for nothing anyway as the yanks will still be driving monster trucks.

I wouldn’t be confident buying a new diesel/petrol car in the morning with the way the tide is turning. I think most people will go hybrid/ full electric if buying new over the next few years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,118 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

A hybrid is a petrol. Can we just call a spade a spade you don't need to plug it for it to work. If you don't plug it in it's worse than a petrol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

What makes you think e-cars are the solution? Bicycles and public transport IMO. There is not enough resources in the world to replace petrol and diesel cars with electric.

'Cos we love our cars... and there ain't no way we're giving them up. We might be forced too but no politician would dare propose the idea! Anyway, we may give up all the cheap air fares first and weekend breaks around Europe via Ryanair etc.

I can't see this elimination of diesel and petrol vehicles actually happening in the way proposed. You can live by walking/ cycling/ public transport in cities but government policy for rural areas for decades past has been to contract & amalgamate services and oblige citizens to travel further and further. To reverse that policy would entail an expensive reversal of that trend or alternatively to leave rural Ireland a wasteland, a playground of holiday homes for sufficiently wealthy city dwellers.

That's it where's the 7 seaters and 4x4's. Were going to need diesel and petrol for years to come. Encourage people to change with incentives but also realise it's not for everyone. It's a plan they should maybe start in 10yrs when there's a large enough second hand market of EV's and the infrastructure is there. By then we'll probably all want Hydrogen cars though.
    It's still very early days in a new technology, policy should be wait and see. Ireland is going to have such a little impact on a global scale it'll all be for nothing anyway as the yanks will still be driving monster trucks.

Agreed, i watched a program on Indonesia last night. Mother of god they are ****ed, 250m people living on top of each other.

While i agree we should do our bit, it will have the impact of adding a grain of sand to the sahara desert unless Asia changes.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,837 ✭✭✭✭unkel

BarryD2 wrote: »
    I can't see this elimination of diesel and petrol vehicles actually happening in the way proposed. You can live by walking/ cycling/ public transport in cities but government policy for rural areas for decades past has been to contract & amalgamate services and oblige citizens to travel further and further. To reverse that policy

Who says anything about taking peoples cars away? Soon you can't buy a petrol or a diesel car anymore, but you can do all that people did before with their cars, with a fully electric car.

What makes you think e-cars are the solution?

Read my post again

• Registered Users Posts: 6,233 ✭✭✭secman

Some mad stuff coming out of Grangegorman today.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Atoms for Peace

You'll have to pry the manual gear stick from my cold dead hand hand before I'll drive an EV. Petrol for ever!! :)
    But seriously what about hydrogen, the cleanest fuel source there is.
    The environment impact of producing all these batteries and cars is not being considered at all, we dont seem to have learned from the last cock up when a green government started an idiotic diesel fad.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,508 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

unkel wrote: »
    Who says anything about taking peoples cars away? Soon you can't buy a petrol or a diesel car anymore, but you can do all that people did before with their cars, with a fully electric car.

Yes if you have plenty of dosh. Not many can afford to.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

_Brian wrote: »
    Read the damn report, section 11 is dedicated to agriculture 🙄

Link?

I was referring to the news report on the radio, as I had stated.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭Mike9832

You'll have to pry the manual gear stick from my cold dead hand hand before I'll drive an EV. Petrol for ever!! :)
    But seriously what about hydrogen, the cleanest fuel source there is.
    The environment impact of producing all these batteries and cars is not being considered at all, we dont seem to have learned from the last cock up when a green government started an idiotic diesel fad.

Hydrogen needs batteries

To make Hydrogen you need electricity

Electricity and batteries makes most sense eg EV 😎

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement