Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Death knell for petrol and diesel cars?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,759 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Mike9832 wrote: »
    Do what they are doing

Tbh I’d have more respect for myself. What I have is mine and all that. Services are there to help those that genuinely need it but the fraud that goes on is unbelievable. The social culture, compo culture etc.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,759 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

I see that too

Probably because they don't have mortgages, don't have to pay LPT etc.

Many of them have medical cards.

It doesn't mean they're a "lower class" then shefwedfan though..

Lower class is not the right word but if your in a position that you need social housing then you shouldn’t be in a position to buy 2018 cars, tax, insurance etc in my opinion of course.

These are luxuries not necessities.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

kceire wrote: »
    Lower class is not the right word but if your in a position that you need social housing then you shouldn’t be in a position to buy 2018 cars, tax, insurance etc in my opinion of course.

Your getting too PR....no idea what terms you are allowed to use or not use these days.....

• Registered Users Posts: 27,123 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Lower class doenst mean that they are stupid or classless, its just a comparison of their position in society, nothing more.
    i.e. it doenst have to be derogatory anymore than saying someone is ignorant about something does.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭Mike9832

It's only going to get worse

Our own fault too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,604 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    You are 100% incorrect.

IN reality the biggest hit was people buying new cars in 2005/6/7. Once the tax change in 2008 they suddenly had a massive chuck of resale value knocked off car. We had people on Late Late and everything talking about how the second hand market was killed. The resale value in cars halfed

Who won on this? well the lower class suddenly could get a newer plate fornext to nothing. So they had to pay a few quid extra tax but they could a car at a hugely reduced price....

If you buy a car at 500 euro tax and cant afford to pay that tax then your a idiot and don't deserve to be on the roads. Plenty of car pre 2008had cheap tax. Funny how these "poor" people all seemed to have to buy BMW/AUdi etc with high tax.....

Take some responsibilities for your own actions, blaming the government for everything is childish....you are suppsoed to have a brain in your own head

None of us are 100% correct but I can assure you that what I posted about people who have difficulty affording a car but needing one is true. I know these people and their lives are a struggle to make ends meet. The continuation of the high rates of motor tax when they had no alternative made their lives more difficult.

I won't be directly addressing your posts about social class, however I will say that it's the first time I have seen social class mentioned on Motors.

elperello wrote: »
    None of us are 100% correct but I can assure you that what I posted about people who have difficulty affording a car but needing one is true. I know these people and their lives are a struggle to make ends meet. The continuation of the high rates of motor tax when they had no alternative made their lives more difficult.

I won't be directly addressing your posts about social class, however I will say that it's the first time I have seen social class mentioned on Motors.

Yes is it the first time I have seen class discussed, why did you start itwith your "less well off statement"??????

If you can't afford a car then don't buy it, if you can't afford the tax then sell the car and buy a cheaper car with lower tax....

Nobody stopped people selling a Mondeo with 700 euro tax and buying a small car with less tax. They didn't have to automatically go from a 2005 to a 2008. You can trade down in years.

The poor me show is boring.....stand by your own decisions, stop pointing the finger and blaming other people.....

Based on the information at hand in 2008 the decision was diesel was the cleaner fuel, since then it has been shown to be a poor decision. New information is found every day and this means something we thought was good can actually be bad. For a long time everyone said nothing was wrong with smoking, when it was found out to be bad then laws changed.....thats the way the World works......

If not then we would all be still using laws from the early 1800's

• Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

Yes is it the first time I have seen class discussed, why did you start itwith your "less well off statement"??????

Less well off is, as you say, a statement.

Labeling people as a lower class is a judgement which says far more about you then the people you judge with that term.
    Nobody stopped people selling a Mondeo with 700 euro tax and buying a small car with less tax. They didn't have to automatically go from a 2005 to a 2008. You can trade down in years.

The poor me show is boring.....stand by your own decisions, stop pointing the finger and blaming other people.....

But the government were to blame for the fact that the value of second hand cars plummeted over night. They did so as a direct result of government policy.

People found themselves unable to sell their cars because they became worthless and they couldn't afford a new car so they were caught.

You might not be able to empathize but that doesn't mean the rest of us can't or that it didn't happen. Because it did.

Yes is it the first time I have seen class discussed, why did you start it with your "less well off statement"??????

You are misrepresenting me there.

Less well off is, as you say, a statement.

Labeling people as a lower class is a judgement which says far more about you then the people you judge with that term.
    It means working class, I really dont see what your issue is?
    Now working class is probably a bit of a misnomer in a lot of these cases...so how about the Welfare Class?
    But the government were to blame for the fact that the value of second hand cars plummeted over night. They did so as a direct result of government policy.

People found themselves unable to sell their cars because they became worthless and they couldn't afford a new car so they were caught.

You might not be able to empathize but that doesn't mean the rest of us can't or that it didn't happen. Because it did.

Talk about spinning a tale.
    There motor tax was X before and X afterwards, this is the fact of the matter.
    These people knowingly bought a car that had a motor tax rate of X....so whats the issue? Talking about the second hand car market is irrelevant, why didnt they buy one before the tax changes if they were in the market for one?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,722 ✭✭✭✭josip

GreeBo wrote: »

Talk about spinning a tale.
    There motor tax was X before and X afterwards, this is the fact of the matter.
    These people knowingly bought a car that had a motor tax rate of X....so whats the issue? Talking about the second hand car market is irrelevant, why didnt they buy one before the tax changes if they were in the market for one?

I agree with you about the annual tax not increasing, but psychologically it is tough in that situation to see someone who has bought the exact same engined car 1 or 2 years later, paying €125 per year instead of €590.

The 2nd hand market is not irrelevant.
    Many people when buying a car consider the resale value when deciding what to buy.
    Overnight in 2008, the govt devalued all pre 2008 cars.
    As has been pointed out many times on this thread, usually derisively, Irish people dislike paying high annual tax for a car.

It means working class, I really dont see what your issue is?

The term used was lower class. i have an issue with that term.

You are free to use it of course, although i notice you don't.
    Talking about the second hand car market is irrelevant

How so ?

For many, a car will be the second most expensive purchase they'll make and most will purchase with resale value in mind.

It is far from irrelevant to those that were affected.

The term used was lower class. i have an issue with that term.

You are free to use it of course, although i notice you don't.

How so ?

For many, a car will be the second most expensive purchase they'll make and most will purchase with resale value in mind.

It is far from irrelevant to those that were affected.

"lower class
    noun
    the social group that has the lowest status; the working class.
    "in popular fiction of the past, villains were usually of the lower class""

"lower class" = "working class"

You cant have your argument both ways though.
    Either the government is evil and didnt lower the rate for your current car thus devaluing it
    OR
    Its cheaper to buy a second hand car as the new tax rates have made second hand cars cheaper.

Which one is it?

"lower class
    noun
    the social group that has the lowest status; the working class.
    "in popular fiction of the past, villains were usually of the lower class""

"lower class" = "working class"

You cant have your argument both ways though.
    Either the government is evil and didnt lower the rate for your current car thus devaluing it
    OR
    Its cheaper to buy a second hand car as the new tax rates have made second hand cars cheaper.

Which one is it?

I'm not really sure what point you're attempting to make.

I've explained the issue.

You don't see it that way which is fine.

Let's leave it there..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭paleoperson

Isn't it funny how this thread started as wild justification for all the time and money spent with EVs and over time it was proven that petrol/diesel is just as good. And no matter how much government money and subsidies are spent on them they are left wanting compared to petrol/diesel. Now it seems more like the death knell for EVs may be around the corner if anything, at least for a few decades, as even the environmental aspects of them are in dispute:

Experts: Overnight switch to environmentally friendly petrol would give same climate benefits as 100,000 electric vehicles

There is really no justification for all those subsidies, the government should stop pouring money into the black hole of EVs and spend in on real climate change action.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,820 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Hilarity ensues.

"The Bioenergy for Climate Action in Transport conference"

You have heard of vested interests..... I presume ?

The best solution is of course a mix of petrol, clean diesels and EVs along with less private cars in the city centres where public transport, cycling and pedestrians should be catered for to greater effect.

Is there anything in the experts opinion or are we like Michael Gove "fed up of experts"?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,820 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Augeo wrote: »
    The best solution is of course a mix of petrol, clean diesels and EVs along with less private cars in the city centres where public transport, cycling and pedestrians should be catered for to greater effect.

Theres no such thing as clean diesels. Diesels should be outlawed for any vehicle thats not commercial delivery. where its required for the weight involved

listermint wrote: »
    Theres no such thing as clean diesels. Diesels should be outlawed for any vehicle thats not commercial delivery. where its required for the weight involved

I'd consider diesel with limited NOx emissions to be clean, relatively speaking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,722 ✭✭✭✭josip

listermint wrote: »
    Hilarity ensues.

"The Bioenergy for Climate Action in Transport conference"

You have heard of vested interests..... I presume ?

Unlikely, never underestimate someone's willingness to echo stuff that confirms their own bias without engaging the grey matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

I'd consider diesel with limited NOx emissions to be clean, relatively speaking.

Yes, modern diesels with EGR, DPF, SCR and probably a few more acronyms are comparatively clean to what came before, but I'd agree they should be limited to heavy goods and public transport until viable alternatives are available.

For light goods, petrol PHEVs are now becoming available: https://www.parkers.co.uk/vans-pickups/news/2019/ford-transit-custom-plug-in-hybrid-review/

• Registered Users Posts: 19,943 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

You know diesel exhaust contains a compound that is one of the most potent carcinogens ever tested - 3-Nitrobenzanthrone?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3-Nitrobenzanthrone

cnocbui wrote: »
    You know diesel exhaust contains a compound that is one of the most potent carcinogens ever tested - 3-Nitrobenzanthrone?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3-Nitrobenzanthrone

I do indeed but I did mention .....

Inappropriate mass adoption of diesel wasn't the correct thing to do but the general population was almost forced to buy diesels from 2008 onwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

I read yesterday that Nissan I think it was are working on small van ev now to be released in 2021 ... if diesel sales were stopped in say 2/3 years , government would take more in tax and it starts reducing the number of them on the roads ! With the increased revenue , it can used to provide grants on electric ...

• Registered Users Posts: 19,943 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Idbatterim wrote: »
    I read yesterday that Nissan I think it was are working on small van ev now to be released in 2021 ... if diesel sales were stopped in say 2/3 years , government would take more in tax and it starts reducing the number of them on the roads ! With the increased revenue , it can used to provide grants on electric ...

What?

Idbatterim wrote: »
    I read yesterday that Nissan I think it was are working on small van ev now to be released in 2021 ...........

18tdieulhd-eNV200VANHelios106.jpg.ximg.l_8_m.smart.jpg

Nissan e-NV200

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Inappropriate mass adoption of diesel wasn't the correct thing to do but the general population was almost forced to buy diesels from 2008 onwards.
    They weren't forced. The emissions standard, not a bad thing in its own right, effectively sold diesel as the great saviour. That has turned out to be slightly off the mark. In many cases the tax change if spread over a year is not too onerous but given we'll drive 10km to save a cent on fuel, no surprise at the price sensitivity.

Nobody got almost forced to buy anything

You buy a 2005 car and the tax was the same in 2007 as it was in 2008. The difference was suddenly a car post 2008 might be 100-200 euro cheaper in tax.

You had loads of people dumping pre2008 cars to "upgrade" to post 2008 diesel at the cost of thousands to save a few quid on tax.

even check the posts on here. Car recommendation for xyz and in the middle you will see "cheap tax".

• Advertisement

is_that_so wrote: »
    They weren't forced.............

Well folk went from 1.4 petrol Focus and Golfs etc as A4s were available for the low €30ks with cheap tax and greater mpg so the overall cost of running a new diesel A4, Passat etc etc became much more palatable for folk who drove smaller family ish cars previously.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement