Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

February 2020 babies club

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Chelle_C

Thanks Rockie, I am delighted.
    Although I'll be a bag of nerves waiting to have it now!

Will you find out the gender at yours? I'd love a surprise but it's going to be hard not to ask as it will kill me to know that the person scanning me knows what I'm having!

I'm not bothering with the RDS, I am in Dublin that day but just know I'll go along and want everything so I'm avoiding it!
    I am going to a 'baby wearing' event at the City North Hotel later in the month though to look at slings etc, I know I want one of those though so I don't mind spending a bit of money there.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 clarnimhurchu

Wonderful that you are getting the scan, Chelle_C! It is great to see that the doctor empathises! I also wish everyone there was getting it, and that it wasn't something you had to fight for.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Cole30

Great news @Chelle_C hopefully it will help others attending that hospital too. I have tickets to the rds weekend but I'm not sure if we will go. Has anyone been before?

Cole30 wrote: »
    Great news @Chelle_C hopefully it will help others attending that hospital too. I have tickets to the rds weekend but I'm not sure if we will go. Has anyone been before?

I went in 2016, when I was pregnant with my first child. It was interesting to see things, and all the products available, but most of it is stuff you don't need. If you were planning to buy a new expensive travel system from one of the brands showcasing there, I believe they offer big discounts if you sign up for them there. I bought second hand, so there wasn't much for me there at all, although they did have some interesting stalls for me, cloth nappies, slings/carriers, etc. There were more of these, and I was more interested, in the Wear a Hug Fair, which I'll probably go to again this year.

Thank you @clarnimhurchu! I think as a first time parent it can be very overwhelming and I did want to keep the shopping until after the anomaly scan the following week so I think I will give it a miss!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30 Ca_va

Hi all,

Hope you’re all doing well. I’m 20 weeks now and still not feeling any definite movement (just a few flutters, which is hard to know if it is really the baby!), so I’m looking forward to my scan next week.

I’m going public in the Coombe and have been given a date for an antenatal class on a Saturday in December. They have also given me an appointment for a 2 hour physiotherapy class which is on a Tuesday, and I’ll struggle to attend it due to work commitments. Does anyone know what is involved in the separate physio class? Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭shhling

Ca_va wrote: »
    Hi all,

Hope you’re all doing well. I’m 20 weeks now and still not feeling any definite movement (just a few flutters, which is hard to know if it is really the baby!), so I’m looking forward to my scan next week.

I’m going public in the Coombe and have been given a date for an antenatal class on a Saturday in December. They have also given me an appointment for a 2 hour physiotherapy class which is on a Tuesday, and I’ll struggle to attend it due to work commitments. Does anyone know what is involved in the separate physio class? Thanks!
    Just popping in from Jan thread. I was about 22 or 23 weeks before I had definite movements. Before that it could have been gas or butterflies.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Yellowmac

I was the same Ca_Va only had gas bubbles at 20 weeks but "real" movements kicked in (no pun intended) after scan which was approx 21 weeks. Normal not to feel them til pretty late on first baby I think.

Is anyone else having mood swings? I didn't have any mood issues in first trimester - felt great- but have been so tearful and cranky for the last 3 weeks. Everything I read says mood is better in 2nd trimester but it's been the opposite for me! It's nothing too worrying, I can still enjoy things, have a laugh etc so not worried about depression or similar... but just feel my mood is all over the place and out of my control it's odd! Normally (before pregnancy) exercise would always cheer me up with endorphins but not really having the same effect now! Curious is anyone else crankier in 2nd tri?

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭paulers06

Had my scan last week and all was fine. Little boy coming our way in February 🀞ðŸ». Can’t believe we’re over half way there. It’s feeling a lot more real now for my husband now that we know the sex. Up until now I think he just thought I was getting kinda fat and moaning about being tired all the time! Feeling a lot of movement over the last few weeks but think it’s only on the inside, hubby hasn’t felt it yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭RebelScorned

I can relate paulers06, had our anatomy scan this morning and I think it had more of an impact on himself than it did me - he was at the dating scan but the baby really looked like a baby today in comparison to that one. I had my heart set on finding out the gender but himself had a wobbly at the last minute and decided he wanted to be surprised when baby comes so he stepped outside for the grand reveal. As for the gender reveal, I had no idea whatsoever beforehand (I know some folks get a hunch) and no preference but it is so nice knowing now and I don't know how I will be able to conceal it from him for next 19 odd weeks!

Peanut was not very co-operative this morning - we didn't get a good look at its face as its hands were up and it had its legs crossed for ages - diva child! The sonographer asked me to get off the table and jump around to try to get it it to move a bit for a clearer picture :D. Everything was perfect thankfully - I was surprised at how detailed the test is as the sonographer checked every single organ and bone - she was absolutely fantastic at explaining everything. Such a nice reassuring feeling having that scan out of the way.

Also for those on this thread that are a bit concerned about not feeling movement yet - I've only been feeling little tiny flutters in my tummy for about a fortnight (21 + 2 now) but found out today I have an anterior placenta (attached to front outwards facing part of uterus, not back towards spine) so she said that this might impact how you feel movement. Not a cause for concern but just goes to show that there is no need to worry too much if you're not feeling much at this stage.;)

• Advertisement

Oh so exciting. Glad to hear the big scans are going well! I have mine Monday morning and I just can't wait. As much as I'm nervous I can't wait either! I felt movement for the first time last Sunday and feel little flutters every now and then. Never when my partner is near by 😂😂 I'm officially 20 weeks today and I couldn't help but feel emotional this morning. The countdown is always going to be less weeks than I am pregnant! Oh hormones!

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭Rockiemalt

Hope everyones scans go well, mine is next Monday too, when I’ll be 21+2.
    I got a quick look at 18 weeks as I had an extra ob appointment which was nice. I’m getting little kicks most days now I think.
    We bought a buggy at the weekend too as it was on offer cause of babyfair and we knew we wanted a running buggy so that narrowed our choices alot!

I *think* I felt movement last night but it was so gentle I really wonder if I imagined it...I’m 19+5 and it felt like teeny tiny bubbles.
    It’s so hard to know if I imagined it, did feel it but it was wind :rolleyes: or if it was actually the baby...I really can’t wait to feel something that I know for sure is them!
    I’m kind of getting it now as I type but I have just finished a cup of warm milk so could just be that going down :confused:

Ah girls I’m just back today from 2 heavenly nights at the Monart in Wexford and I have to say, I’ve never felt so relaxed in all my life. It’s pure luxury.
    I swear every other woman I saw there was pregnant!
    And I’m not surprised as it’s so perfect for relaxation, I highly recommend it for anyone looking for some R&R before February comes...it will be a long time until I get to do something like that again now

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭RebelScorned

Felt proper kicks today for first time at 21wks + 5. Proper sturdy little pokes and were even visible from looking at my tummy. It was the most surreal thing. I had only been feeling little flutters here and there before today, came out of the blue. There were a series of movements over the course of the evening, all in the same area. Maybe it is a coincidence that today is the first day that I wore maternity top and bottoms ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Uptheduff

Following this thread even though I'm not due til March. The March thread have all fecked off to Facebook and there's nothing but tubmleweed there now :/

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Redser87

Lovely to hear about the kicks! I'm still only getting flutters at 21+3, but had the big scan this week and all was well. Get serious movements when I'm exercising or belting out a song

How's everyone feeling? I had my anomaly scan yesterday and everything is looking perfect. Baby is looking about 400grams! I'm 21 weeks today and definitely feeling alot of movement! I have an insatiable hunger the last week and trying so hard to be good but with my job it's so easy to eat conveniently as apposed to healthily! Hope everyone is feeling well and good luck to all who have scans coming up ♥️

Great to hear about your anomaly scan.
    I have mine on Tuesday and I'm getting very nervous as it approaches.

I was like that with my 12 week one too though and started crying when I went in as I was so worried!

I feel really well but my diet has gone to pot...I'm hungry a lot but all I want is crap, I could literally eat a packet of biscuits in one sitting or a whole share size bar of chocolate. I've had to have a word with myself today as I realised I've barely touched a vegetable in a couple of weeks, you can see it in me too as my skin has lost its glow and is looking very dull.

So as of tonight it's veg with every meal, fruit instead of sweets.
    Have to stop being selfish and indulging and remember I'm not just nourishing myself anymore.

Delighted your scan went well, Chelle. I'm definitely hungrier too but luckily my only lunch/snack options in work are whatever I bring with me! It's hard not to eat rings all round me at the weekend though.

Redser87 wrote: »
    Delighted your scan went well, Chelle

Ah it wasn't me that had their scan, mine is on Tuesday!

I'm feeling very down this morning. I'm 21 weeks today and still haven't felt any movement.
    Now, I do know that is apparently normal however I can't help it, I feel physically sick with worry.

With it being infant loss awareness day this week too, I've seen a huge amount of posts on my Instagram feed relating to it and I've stupidly read a lot of the heartbreaking stories, I was sobbing the other night over one particular lady who had a totally normal and healthy pregnancy, gave birth to a beautiful healthy boy but he then had sudden breathing complications the day after birth and passed away.
    And another lady who went in for a scan at 22 weeks and there was no heartbeat.

This has now made me dread my scan on Tuesday, I can't think about anything else but the lack of movement.
    I've tried drinking a cold drink and laying on my side, playing music to my tummy, giving it a little poke...nothing.

I've seen other threads on FB similar to this recently and some girls come on and say 'oh I felt mine move at 17 weeks, maybe you're mistaking it for wind?'
    Erm, that's not helpful! It just makes people feel worse and more worried!

Sorry for the long post, just needed to get it out.

Really hope everyone is doing well! I'm likely just having a hormonal day, I'll be grand tomorrow :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

Chelle, the thing that helps me when I start thinking like that is that there are no news stories etc about their healthy baby born without complications but statistically something going wrong is rare.

I didn’t feel any movement on my first until 22 or 23 weeks.

bee06 wrote: »
    Chelle, the thing that helps me when I start thinking like that is that there are no news stories etc about their healthy baby born without complications but statistically something going wrong is rare.

I didn’t feel any movement on my first until 22 or 23 weeks.

Yes, that's a good point. I need to focus on all the positive, happy stories.
    What I actually need to do is just stop reading about other people's pregnancies in general! I have too much time on my hands in the evening so tend to go on my phone a lot.

I'm going to make an effort to change that, it's doing me no good.

I think I'll look up some pregnancy yoga videos on youtube tonight and maybe try some of that with some meditation or maybe go for a walk whilst the weather is nice enough :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Sosa1

Hi all, I'm a blow in from the March thread also - but I enjoy reading other months threads to see whats in store for me! Delighted everyone's scans are going well, mine isnt for another 3 weeks and I can't wait. Also, I'm strangely looking forward to getting the afternoon off work to just sit in a waiting room & read a book! My last appointment ( Public in Holles Street) took about 3 hours so will definitely be prepared this time!

@ ChellyC I'm sure once baby starts moving and kicking you'll long for the days you had some peace!! Im 17+3w and not a flutter in sight, but I don't have much of a bump yet either so I imagine baby just isn't big/strong enough yet.

P.S This is exactly the place to come on and have a rant, so let it all out girl!

Haha thanks!

I'm also on the March thread, I'm due Feb 27th so chances are it will be an early March baby!
    We have a March 2020 chat going on Facebook if you want to join :)

Yes the appointments are very long, I find if you can get an early appointment thought they're much quicker.
    My scan is at 8.30am on Tuesday so I'll be first in.
    Last time it was at 2.30pm and it was mayhem, I didn't get called in until nearly 4...I was so bored sitting there!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,894 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Chelle it could be the placement of the placenta or anything that means you aren't feeling any movement.At 21 weeks, you would feel flutters more than big kicks anyway and you can mistake them for your digestive system very easily.It is totally normal to be nervous.And you do have to make a rule for yourself to stay away from Google during pregnancy if you are really getting terribly worried...it's better for your mental health that way. :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭muggles

Chelle I am 23 weeks and like you had worked myself up to a frenzy over not feeling kicks, especially as people had started asking if I was since I was 17 or 18 weeks. Asked my consultant about it and she told me she wouldn’t expect me to feel anything until baby was closer to 1.5lb so that calmed me a lot.

Had anomaly scan last week, all went ok (baby weighed 1lb) and two days later was sitting in car about to go into shop and next thing felt kicks!!! There was no way I’d have mixed them up with flutters either. So I was 22 weeks when first felt. They have been infrequent enough since, have felt something every day but they’re quite sporadic.

Sorry, should have addressed my last post to Cole! I'm 22 weeks Chelle and I've only had real movements since week 20. Would you try taking a brisk walk? I get much more movement when I'm active myself. I know a doctor who would often say "common things are common". Those heartbreaking stories are so hard to hear because they are unusual. It is much more common to have an uneventful pregnancy and a healthy baby.

Had my 'big scan' this morning and it went so well, it was such a lovely experience.
    As much as I've moaned about the Lourdes with regards to getting a 20 week scan, I have to say that their staff are just 100%, every single person I've dealt with has been nothing but absolutely lovely.

All is perfect, I have a front positioned placenta which is why I've felt very little movement but the baby was dancing away like crazy, sucking their thumb etc. Strong and healthy, so I am very relieved and can sleep at night now!

Hope everyone else is good x

Chelle_C, that's wonderful, I am so happy for you! I had my anomaly scan last Wednesday, and I too have an anterior placenta. I am feeling very muffled movement, if at all, and it's my second pregnancy! But everything looks perfect in the scan.

I was starting to get pains all over (well, my neck/shoulder, one of my hips, and my left ribs) recently. I went to a chiropractor about it last week, and the difference is amazing after, especially in my hip. I had had similar hip pain last year (when I wasn't pregnant), and it had taken months of physio to improve, then it got bad again when I became pregnant. I've now had 2 chiropractor sessions, and it is completely better for now. The shoulder and rib pain were here in my last pregnancy, and disappeared after. I hope my ribs don't get as sore this time. Towards the end of pregnancy last time, I could not sit down for any length of time, because of the pain.

• Advertisement

Chelle_C, that's wonderful, I am so happy for you! I had my anomaly scan last Wednesday, and I too have an anterior placenta. I am feeling very muffled movement, if at all, and it's my second pregnancy! But everything looks perfect in the scan.

I was starting to get pains all over (well, my neck/shoulder, one of my hips, and my left ribs) recently. I went to a chiropractor about it last week, and the difference is amazing after, especially in my hip. I had had similar hip pain last year (when I wasn't pregnant), and it had taken months of physio to improve, then it got bad again when I became pregnant. I've now had 2 chiropractor sessions, and it is completely better for now. The shoulder and rib pain were here in my last pregnancy, and disappeared after. I hope my ribs don't get as sore this time. Towards the end of pregnancy last time, I could not sit down for any length of time, because of the pain.

Oh God that sounds awful, fingers crossed it doesn't come back for you!
    I was at a group maternity physio session last week and some of the women there were 30+ weeks and all in agony for different reasons...sciatica, pelvic pain, shin splints...good God I'm not looking forward to the later stages!!
    Rib pain must be very uncomfortable, especially when the baby starts getting their feet up there :eek:

Advertisement