Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

February 2020 babies club

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭GavMan

The missus is 15 weeks tomorrow. Appointment and Scan in Holles Street yesterday. Everything looking good thank God

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭red petal

Just over the 13 weeks now and seems as though the nausea is wearing off the last few days, hoping it lasts! We had our 12 week scan last week and all went well thankfully, it was a massive relief!

Has anyone heard much about or booked the Harmony test? This didn't seem to be around or mentioned when I had my little boy so I don't know much about it. It wouldn't have been something I would have bothered with before but I am quite nervous on this pregnancy and keep (stupidly) feeling like something could go wrong and would like a little reassurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Ca_va

Glad you are feeling a bit better red petal.

I’m stressing out a bit here. I’m living in France and screening for chromosomal abnormalities is done here routinely. It is not as accurate as a panorama/harmony but gives a risk factor based on certain hormone levels and the nuchal translucency measurement during the 12 week scan. Anyway, I’ve just heard that my results have come back as high risk, with a 1/130 chance that there is an abnormality. Not a massive risk, I know, but higher than normal and enough to have me worried. I’ve just done another blood test which I think is closer to the panorama/harmony test so should give a more accurate result, and now have a two week wait for the results. Trying to stay positive!

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭red petal

Aw no, it's very hard no to stress @ca_va but it's better to know these things sooner rather than later.

At least you have got the second test now, hopefully you will get the results soon. Thankfully, I don't think they take that long. Hoping all goes well for you!

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Redser87

1/130 is still really high ca_va. I know it must be hard not to stress about it but you're doing all you can to check how things are. Hopefully they'll be quick to get back to you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Hi all,

I hope its ok for dads to be to pop in here as well :)

My wife is due on 19th Feb so that makes it 14W and 4 days for us

We had our booking appointment in the Rotunda last week, public, and i have to say it was seamless and if not for the blood tests, my wife has very bad veins and it took them awhile to find a good one :) , we would have been in and out in about 2 hours, very efficient i thought.

The scan at the booking appointment is simply a scan to check all is ok at a quick glance, measurements, heart best etc. We got an early scan a week before in Swords and i thought you we got a lot more from that scan.
    We can't wait for the big scan on 8th October as we will be nearly 21 weeks :)

Best of luck to all in here:)

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭Rockiemalt

Hope you get good results Ca_va.
    We had some extra tests in Crumlin as there was some strange genetic stuff in DP’s family. We had a 2 week wait for results from that and it felt long but thankfully got the all clear (well as clear as they can give, nothing is 100%)

Dads are very welcome too, hope its all going well. DP can’t seem to get over the fact I keep saying no to tea when I used to drink loads, anyone else any weird symptoms yet?!

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Chelle_C

Rockiemalt wrote: »
    Hope you get good results Ca_va.
    We had some extra tests in Crumlin as there was some strange genetic stuff in DP’s family. We had a 2 week wait for results from that and it felt long but thankfully got the all clear (well as clear as they can give, nothing is 100%)

Dads are very welcome too, hope its all going well. DP can’t seem to get over the fact I keep saying no to tea when I used to drink loads, anyone else any weird symptoms yet?!

I’ve been exactly the same with tea! I used to drink 4-5 cups a day but I’ve completely stopped.
    It doesn’t make me feel sick, I just have no desire at all to drink it. Weird!
    I also used to have an egg on toast almost every day for breakfast but now all I want is Marmite, which I hadn’t eaten in years.

I’m actually quite sad about the tea thing too, its like someone took away my tea mojo :( I have been drinking lemon and ginger for a hot drink as sometimes you just need something hot

• Registered Users Posts: 43 clarnimhurchu

Congratulation Dadtobe2019!

Ca_Va, I know this is a really long wait, but if you think about it, your chance of everything being fine is 129/130! I hope you manage to relax while waiting for the results.

I felt that the wait was really long until my big scan at 21 weeks (I'm 14 weeks today, yay). So, I went for a Panorama NIPT yesterday. I did it at Evie in Sandyford, and they did a really thorough scan beforehand, so I got to see a lot of baby! I've a 2 week wait for the results now too. My partner, who is French, is really nervous about the results, although we have no flagged risk factors. I'm just excited to find out the sex, and really happy that we had a lovely scan!

As for tea, I gave it and coffee up before getting pregnant as I was too addicted. I have a cup of green tea every morning to give me a bit of caffeine and I honestly feel like a mess without it. The taste, however, isn't as appealing as it used to be beforehand. I just drink it to pick me up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭RebelScorned

Have been up the walls with work and life over the last few days and fell way behind on this thread so I've been playing catch-up.

Firstly @Ca_va I have everything crossed for you that you will get good news from your latest batch of tests - must be such an anxious time for you waiting and I'm sure the 2 weeks is passing at a snail's pace for you but (and I know you will think it's easy for us to say) 1/130 is so remote that you would have to be so unlucky and of course I'm hoping and wishing that you'll be with the 129 folks that get good news.

It's great to see some new folks jump on board and lots of us have gotten scans etc. over the last few weeks. I was told in the maternity hosp that I picked a good time to have a baby as Feb is a quiet time of year (apparently September is manic when all the Christmas-conceived babies arrive) but this thread is definitely kept busy. It's nice to be able to share experiences with folks who are all going through the same thing at the same time.

I'm 15+3 today and I don't know if it's my imagination or the fact that I have eaten what I wanted when I wanted over the last few weeks but I am feeling very bloated around my middle, clothes still fit but my jeans are verrrry snug. I only get random bouts of queasiness these days - not enough to make me be sick and the biggest complaint I have currently are headaches which only come every couple of days thankfully but they really knock me down when they do come. No food or hot beverage aversions yet (though the smell of coffee from someone sitting next to me on the train a few weeks back made me want to wilt and die) and no cravings really either apart from red meat, specifically beef or steak, and that's unusual for me as I wouldn't normally cook red meat a lot.

Most of my family and work colleagues now know which is lovely but some of my work colleagues have been really making me doubt myself for choosing to go down the public as opposed to private route - sharing horror stories about being neglected in immediate aftermath after giving birth, not having any support in public ward and one colleague warned of how she ended up next to a junkie in a public ward who allegedly made her life hell. I was a ball of anxiety when I got home from work that evening, I even contemplated switching to private the next day but then I concluded that I did debate over this for weeks already. I think I'm holding out to see how my appointment next week goes but the whole encounter has made me question myself, my judgment and my priorities. I normally wouldn't pay much heed to other folks' speculation and horror stories so I don't know if it's preggo hormones but it really cut me deep. I've an appointment with a consultant next week in the Coombe but doubt very much that there will be any scan, I think it's just a routine appointment.

In other more cheerful news - wedding date has been booked for 29 November so we'll get hitched before baby arrives in mid-Feb - I'll be 28 + 4 weeks so not sure how/where/if I'll find a dress to fit but if you know or have heard of anywhere that do nice not frumpy maternity dresses for a special occasion (does not have to be typical white wedding dress), please help a gal out and share, either online or in real life shops! It's a relief to have the date and feels like another job ticked off the list (jeez I'm a real romantic ;) )

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Ca_va

Thanks to you all for the positive vibes guys, it means a lot. I'm trying to keep it out of my mind as much as possible (not possible!).

@RebelScorned, that is so exciting about the wedding, congratulations!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,894 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Rebel everyone loves telling the horror stories.Let it all wash over you, and just smile and nod.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭ene

I think everyone just likes horror stories like I have heard some stories about private rooms as well so its all just how you see them! I have chosen to go public because I have heard much more positive stories then negative ones!

I’m going public too so hopefully we have positive experiences to share, I’m hopefully doing Domino scheme too which might make it a bit different?!

I started going to pregnancy yoga classes and the teacher gives lots of advice and information throughout them about birthing too which I’m finding good for my head. And I’m also enjoying the yoga part of it too, so if anyone is considering it I’d say go for it!

I booked tickets this morning for a babywearing event in October, to figure out which sort we’d like,
    http://www.wearahugfair.ie/

We went looking at buggys and car seats too, holy goodness there is so many!

Rockiemalt wrote: »
    I’m going public too so hopefully we have positive experiences to share, I’m hopefully doing Domino scheme too which might make it a bit different?!

I started going to pregnancy yoga classes and the teacher gives lots of advice and information throughout them about birthing too which I’m finding good for my head. And I’m also enjoying the yoga part of it too, so if anyone is considering it I’d say go for it!

I booked tickets this morning for a babywearing event in October, to figure out which sort we’d like,
    http://www.wearahugfair.ie/

We went looking at buggys and car seats too, holy goodness there is so many!

Just googled that event and it’s just up the road from me, got myself a ticket - thanks!

I find myself tentatively looking up cribs and cots and prams etc. but it is honestly a minefield, like there are so many options where does one even begin. We went to Bella Baby in Dundrum last weekend to look at prams and bits and I mean I cannot (in this current woefully uneducated state) tell the difference between them. They all have a seat/bed for baby and wheels :D Even when I am out and about in town I am always checking out what prams and kit other folks have chosen but they all look the same to me. And we won't even get started on all of the different brands of bottles, soothers, monitors, thermometers. I must look through boards actually to see if there is a shopping list or recommendations for first time mammies. I'm thinking about going to the Pregnancy and Baby Fair in the RDS in October.

I'm mad to start buying but at the same time, I'm afraid to start buying! I've picked up a few bits but they've gone straight up into the attic for safekeeping until after Christmas.

I believe that people like telling horror stories too. It can be annoying, although sometimes good to know, so you can avoid the situation.

I found, for my first baby, that it was good to research what way you want to sleep with baby, feed, carry, etc., before buying anything. I wanted to cosleep, but my partner was afraid, so we got a Sleepyhead nest. We placed this in between us on the bed, but I realised after she was born, that I was the only one that was totally aware of her while sleeping, so had to put her on my side only. I bought a larger cotbed and attached it to the side (mine) of the bed, without a barrier between us, when she was too big for the nest. I wanted to feed responsively, day and night, so didn't get any soothers, and only got bottles much later when I wanted to pump. I wanted to babywear and carry most of the time, until the baby was ready to leave my arms, so I researched slings a lot. I bought a good pushchair/pram secondhand, just in case that didn't work out, but never used it. I wanted to use cloth nappies, and started to look at those, but there are so many types and brands, that took a few months in itself, and still wasn't finished when the baby was born. I'd say pick one topic at a time, look into the options, what the updated research says, and then choose a product. But that is just me! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

For travel systems etc I would advise buying 2nd hand once you know what you want. They are so expensive. I wish I took this advice myself but like most people wanted everything new for my first baby.

bee06 wrote: »
    For travel systems etc I would advise buying 2nd hand once you know what you want. They are so expensive. I wish I took this advice myself but like most people wanted everything new for my first baby.

I’m doing this. I got a second hand co sleeper last week which was barely used but I got it for less than half of what I’d pay for it new.
    A new mattress for it only costs around €25 so even with that, I have made a huge saving.

When my sister had a baby 2 years ago my parents bought a pram to have at their house but it was hardly touched so I’m delighted to be gifted that. When the baby outgrows the co sleeper, my sister has kindly said I can have her daughters cot which is beautiful and cost a lot of money.

All I’ll be buying new is a car seat (will can wait until after Christmas) and a Sleepyhead. Plus one of the Lanisoh breast pumps.
    I’m also planning to Babywear so I’ll invest in a decent wrap/sling or two.

When I was a baby my parents had nothing, I slept in a drawer (they didn’t close it :P) for the first few weeks of my life and my mum pushed me around in a big old fashioned pram from a charity shop.
    I turned out just fine! Obviously I want my baby to have nice things but nice doesn’t always have to mean brand new/expensive.

I’m dreading the car seat shopping...I’m totally clueless. How much should I be budgeting?
    This is one area I don’t want to skimp in. I have a figure in my head of €300 but have possibly just made that up! Am I way out?

• Advertisement

Everything you’re doing is all stuff I wish I did! It’s not like the baby will know the difference.

Car seat wise expensive doesn’t necessarily mean safer. An infant carrier is the safest option from the start. There are other seats (non infant seats that stay in the car) that are “from birth” and will last for longer but they aren’t the safest option for an infant. Maxi cosi is a very popular and safe brand and you can get a Cabiofix for less than 150 Euro. An isofix bass is nice to have but not needed. I got a Joie iGemm with a base as part of my travel system last time (Joie is another great car seat brand) and couldn’t use the isofix base because the seats in my car are so sloped it caused head flop. Very annoying.

Further down the line keeping them rearfacing until at least 4 is 5 times safer when the time comes to move them to the next seat and there is a great Facebook group Ireland -Rearfacing car seats that give advice on the best seat that will last the longest. In case nobody guessed, I’m a bit obsessed with car seat safety!

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭paulers06

Gave in today and bought some maternity jeans in H&M. I’m 16 weeks and not really visibly showing yet but my regular jeans were getting tight and I just felt so fat and awful by the end of the day. Wearing my new jeans now and they’re so comfortable. I’m surprised at how much better I feel in these. I guess I didn’t realise how much I was struggling with my changing belly until now. I’ve gone from feeling fat and uncomfortable to a bit normal again.

paulers06 wrote: »
    Gave in today and bought some maternity jeans in H&M. I’m 16 weeks and not really visibly showing yet but my regular jeans were getting tight and I just felt so fat and awful by the end of the day. Wearing my new jeans now and they’re so comfortable. I’m surprised at how much better I feel in these. I guess I didn’t realise how much I was struggling with my changing belly until now. I’ve gone from feeling fat and uncomfortable to a bit normal again.

Ha ha, on my second pregnancy and I've been wearing maternity trousers and dresses since 8 weeks! I just couldn't stand the tight waistbands of normal clothes. I think I got them at about 12 weeks on my first, as everything was becoming uncomfortable as you say, and I didn't want to just buy bigger clothes (I left that until after pregnancy when I was permanently bigger :P).

Interestingly, although I think I look a lot bigger than I was before this pregnancy, I haven't put on any weight yet, and I will be 15 weeks tomorrow. I think it's because I've been so tired and ill until now that I've basically stopped most exercise, and lost muscle. I hope I can make it up a little now that my energy levels are a bit better!

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Cole30

How is everyone feeling? I have felt so much better in the last week than I have since I can remember! I haven't vomited since last week and am eating 3 meals a day! I have also ordered a few maternity bits for work as I'm going on holiday this weekend but when I get back I think it's time to give up normal waistbands! I did buy a pair of maternity gym leggings and the difference so so so comfortable! Got them in h&m for €22 I think brilliant buy! Plan to wear them on the flight too!

paulers06 wrote: »

Haha I had to buy new trousers today too!
    Got some fab cropped wide leg trousers in Next that have an elasticated waistband.
    I just know I’m going to live in them! Well, at least until it’s too cold to wear them anymore.
    All my jeans are too tight now so they’re being packed away for next year.
    I also got measured for a bra in M&S and have gone up a cup size so got 2 new ones. I’m only 14+6 so I may need to go up again in a couple of months.
    I’ve never had big boobs so I’m loving this :p

I’m off to England tomorrow then to Dubrovnik on Friday for a week.
    I really feel like it’s come at the perfect time, a week of relaxation is exactly what I need right now and I’m going with my Mum which will be lovely as I don’t get much time with her alone and we have lots to talk about.

Where are you ladies looking for maternity clothes? I've checked out the maternity sections in New Look and H&M in Liffey Valley and trust me when I say I am no fashionista but I was disappointed with the selections there - they weren't big maternity sections but what they had seemed kind of frumpy.

Also, when you buy maternity clothes - I heard you are meant to buy your own normal size but the maternity version - so I ordered a few bits from ASOS last week when they had a 20% discount code on that basis but the vast majority of it is currently sitting on me and i feel like I look like a sack of spuds. Tops that are huge and not just across the tummy area, jeans that are baggy and loose around my knees upwards not just tummy area.

I'm not sure where the best place to look is - I'd rather spend a bit more to get some decent pieces through the next few months instead of forking out for a load of frumpy, odd fitting clothes. I'm a bit reluctant to buy online as I think I would rather try things on given my experience to date. I thought I would love showing off a bump but i am a bit discouraged in my search for maternity clothes so far. Maybe I need to wait a bit until I actually start showing before I buy any more clothes. And I have not even begun thinking about trying to find a wedding dress!

I had my consultant appointment on Tuesday in the Coombe and went fine - no blood test this time (hoorah!) and a real bonus was that we got another scan that I was not expecting and it was so nice to see Peanut bopping away again and looking even more childlike than the last time we saw him/her. I thought I could feel flutters on Tuesday evening after my appointment but then it became clear to me that they were actually just hunger pangs!! 16+4 today and not feeling any acrobatics yet and doctor said sometimes first time mothers don't feel anything at all until 25 weeks! Super super looking forward to our anatomy scan in October and finding out if it's a boy or a girl - it's all that's keeping me going!

Re maternity clothes ... those clothes are designed to fit you up to 40 weeks so are going to feel massive now. I just went a couple of sizes up and bought oversized tops (not maternity) for the first and most of the 2nd trimester. Got long vest tops and used the hair bobble trick on my normal jeans. That got me to around 20 weeks with my looser fitting jeans. I got the skinny jeans in H&M then.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Cole30

I recently ordered some bits from new look they are yet to arrive. Kept it basic enough just to see how they look/feel. I watch a person on Instagram who is due in Nov she has raved about boohoo. For casual/comfy bits. I'd love a really good pair of jeans for winter just to dress up or down so if any recommendations I'd love to know!! When do you find out the gender @rebelscorned?

Cole30 wrote: »
    When do you find out the gender @rebelscorned?

Anatomy scan on October 8th :) So only 1 month, 2 days / 4 weeks, 3 days away but who's counting! I'd say I won't be able to sleep for a week beforehand with the excitement and suspense. I was trying really hard during the scan earlier this week to decipher any potential telltale signs/body parts but sure I didn't have a clue what I was looking at, couldn't even make out an arm from a leg to be honest. Before I got pregnant, I thought I would like to keep it as a surprise until delivery because I was thinking it would get you through the labour but I've done a complete 180, I have honestly even surprised myself. I'm thinking about getting a private scan done at 18 wk mark - some places do them from 16 weeks but I'm just not sure how accurate it would be.

And Boohoo didn't even cross my mind actually, thank you! Will defo have a look tonight

• Advertisement

Hi All

I've just checked when my next hospital appointment/scan is and it's not until 28th November when I will be 27 weeks.
    Is that very late?
    I thought most people got one closer to the 20 week mark for the anomaly scan.
    It seems a very long wait, just wanted to see if this is normal - at what week are you guys all back for yours?

Thanks

EDIT: I just rang the hospital and she said I'm not in for a scan at all! They don't the anomaly scans unless you have a low lying placenta or for another flagged medical reason. I'm shocked. And gutted. I'm going to try and get a private one but that's more money I could do without spending!

Advertisement