Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

February 2020 babies club

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭RebelScorned

Hi Chelle_C, I am very surprised to hear that your hospital does not offer an anatomy scan - I thought every pregnant lady public or private should get a detailed anatomy scan somewhere around wks 18-22 of pregnancy? I'm with the Coombe (public) and my anatomy scan is booked since my dating scan back in July - I'll be little over 21 weeks by the time it comes around. I didn't specifically ask for it to be booked or anything which is why I thought it was offered as standard. It's mad how different hospitals under same system offer different things and I'd be annoyed too if I was you. I wonder could your GP help in any way to get an earlier scan?

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭red petal

I am booked in for an anatomy scan at about 20 weeks too. This is with the coombe though and I think they are quite good with their scans. I have heard of hospitals down the country which do not offer scans unless there is an issue. Very unfair unfortunately.

QQ - has anybody else's bump taken a mad stretch this last week? I turned 19 weeks yesterday and proper preggo roundy bump (not just bit of bloat or the average food baby) just appeared about a week ago and seems to be growing by the day since. I'm honestly not exaggerating when I say it popped out overnight - maybe it's because I'm barely 5ft tall? Lots of fluttery sensations in my lower tummy over the last few days too. It's our first so it's all learning at this point but just find it mad that bump literally sprouted overnight!

Any other February 2020 babies making their presence known? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭GavMan

Chelle_C wrote: »
    Hi All

I've just checked when my next hospital appointment/scan is and it's not until 28th November when I will be 27 weeks.
    Is that very late?
    I thought most people got one closer to the 20 week mark for the anomaly scan.
    It seems a very long wait, just wanted to see if this is normal - at what week are you guys all back for yours?

Thanks

EDIT: I just rang the hospital and she said I'm not in for a scan at all! They don't the anomaly scans unless you have a low lying placenta or for another flagged medical reason. I'm shocked. And gutted. I'm going to try and get a private one but that's more money I could do without spending!

Which hospital?

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭paulers06

QQ - has anybody else's bump taken a mad stretch this last week? I turned 19 weeks yesterday and proper preggo roundy bump (not just bit of bloat or the average food baby) just appeared about a week ago and seems to be growing by the day since. I'm honestly not exaggerating when I say it popped out overnight - maybe it's because I'm barely 5ft tall? Lots of fluttery sensations in my lower tummy over the last few days too. It's our first so it's all learning at this point but just find it mad that bump literally sprouted overnight!

Any other February 2020 babies making their presence known? :pac:

18 weeks here and have been feeling those flutters for a week or so now. Mainly when lying down or slouching on the couch. My husband is a little jealous.

Bump has really started to develop over the last week. Haven’t told work yet so need to do that this week. I’m still able to hide it but not for much longer! I only started my job in a January so I think they’ll be less than impressed that I’ve been pregnant for half the time I’ve been here! But hey, that’s life. We’ll all just have to get on with it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Chelle_C

GavMan wrote: »
    Which hospital?

Our Lady of Lourdes, Drogheda

Seem to be of the very few that don't offer it!

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Hasmunch

We are there too and have booked the anomaly scan privately.

Hasmunch wrote: »
    We are there too and have booked the anomaly scan privately.

Do you mind me asking where and how much you're paying? I'm seeing prices between €165-€185.

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Hasmunch

We are going to the Merrion Fetal Clinic at €150
    We paid €165 on our first two years ago alright

• Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

I'm wondering if that has changed recently? I had two babies there & definitely had a 20 week scan on both of them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43 clarnimhurchu

CheerLouth wrote: »
    I'm wondering if that has changed recently? I had two babies there & definitely had a 20 week scan on both of them.

I imagine, if others have had it Chelle_C, that you should be able to push for it. I am of the opinion that getting this included in your public service is absolutely necessary. I would call the consultants and the fetal medicine department, and get on to both of them to set it up, say you will be very worried and anxious throughout the pregnancy if it is not done. It should be your right, and if you went to the Dublin hospitals it would be done, so why not Drogheda?

I’m not sure. Apparently it’s common knowledge that they don’t do them, a couple of friends who gave birth there didn’t get them either.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

I’m not sure. Apparently it’s common knowledge that they don’t do them, a couple of friends who gave birth there didn’t get them either.

Hmmm, that sounds very odd. I'd say it at your next appointment and see what they say. A midwife or consultant might be more willing to refer you for one than a clerical officer who has a rulebook to follow

Hmmm, that sounds very odd. I'd say it at your next appointment and see what they say. A midwife or consultant might be more willing to refer you for one than a clerical officer who has a rulebook to follow

I’ll be 27 weeks at my next appointment which isn’t until the end of November.
    I was in with my GP yesterday and enquired but she said it’s just the way it is.
    I’ve just sent an email to the maternity dept saying how upset I am and this will cause me a lot of worry, so I will see what they have to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Ca_va

Ca_va wrote: »
    I’m stressing out a bit here. I’m living in France and screening for chromosomal abnormalities is done here routinely. It is not as accurate as a panorama/harmony but gives a risk factor based on certain hormone levels and the nuchal translucency measurement during the 12 week scan. Anyway, I’ve just heard that my results have come back as high risk, with a 1/130 chance that there is an abnormality. Not a massive risk, I know, but higher than normal and enough to have me worried. I’ve just done another blood test which I think is closer to the panorama/harmony test so should give a more accurate result, and now have a two week wait for the results. Trying to stay positive!

After showing up as high risk, my first round of NIPT testing came back as inconclusive and so I had to go for another set of tests and another stressful 2 week wait for results. These have eventually come back as negative for the three trisomies, so I can finally stop worrying! I’m so relieved. It has been really tough, I feel like I’ve missed out on a month of excitement as I was afraid to get too wrapped up in it all in case there was a fatal abnormality.
    paulers06 wrote: »
    18 weeks here and have been feeling those flutters for a week or so now. Mainly when lying down or slouching on the couch. My husband is a little jealous.

Bump has really started to develop over the last week. Haven’t told work yet so need to do that this week. I’m still able to hide it but not for much longer! I only started my job in a January so I think they’ll be less than impressed that I’ve been pregnant for half the time I’ve been here! But hey, that’s life. We’ll all just have to get on with it

Anyway, onwards and upwards (and outwards!) RebelScorned and paulers06 – I’m the same with the bump taking a stretch - I’m glad I can finally tell people in work as it is getting harder to hide! I’m 18+4 and feeling what I think might be flutters but I’m just not sure as it is my first.

Hoorah Ca_va - I've been wondering how you got on and I am absolutely chuffed for you that you got good news! :D

Onwards, upwards and outwards indeed :)

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭Rockiemalt

Hi all,

I’m 19 weeks and feeling like someone is poking me from the inside the last week or so. Also my belly seems to have suddenly got rounder too, it feels really stretched sometimes just after I’ve eaten. Also I’ve been trying trying to keep on parkruns but i was running holding my belly yesterday as it felt like it was boucing up and down loads, like I need a bump bra, hah! Anyone else have this?

I got the asos maternity jeans and they fit well, h&m are always too long on me as I’m 5’2 and new look seemed to be oddley sized in jeans. Tops were good though!

Thats rubbish you arent having a 20 week anomaly scan, I was on domino but they sent me back to the coombe for an extra obstetrician app as my sister had a clot on one of her pregnancies, so surprisingly the ob did a quick scan and signed me off as back to domino, 2&1/2 hours waiting to be seen for 5 minutes but it was lovely to get a quick look at baby, so I can completely imagine booking a private scan if all you have is a 12 week. my next scan is the anomaly scan in the coombe in a few weeks time too.

Hope you are all feeling ok :)

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Cole30

Today I am 18 + 5 and honestly the last 3 days my tummy has also just become more round and definitely bigger. I've had some pains under my ribs especially after I eat so attempting smaller meals more frequent. Had a gp visit on wed and he happened to have the flu jab in stock so he gave me that. Found the heartbeat quite low down and said bump is measuring perfect. I have my next scan on 14th and I had not been thinking about it much but I'm nervous to buy anything until then. I know it's normal worries so trying to not think too much about it!
    Very upsetting that you don't get 18-22 weeks can @Chelle_C. Have you had any luck expressing your concern with the hospital?

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Redser87

So happy for you ca_va! It's a long time between now and February, you'll just have to pack more excitement into that time :-) sorry to hear about your stress with the scan Chelle.
    I'm definitely a bit bumpier too but you'd need to either know or be very observant to spot it! I'm living in dresses and skirts these days but I need to get maternity tights!!

Lovely to hear of all the growing bumps ladies, I’m 18+4 today and mine is definitely noticeable now, depending on what clothes I wear. I love it!

I sent an email to the MLU dept at the hospital saying how upset I was over the lack of an anomaly scan and they called me in the week to discuss.
    The lady I spoke with couldn’t have been nicer.
    She has booked me in with a consultant on Tuesday to discuss it further and see if they will refer me.
    It’s something, but still disgusting that I even have to go in and practically beg someone to give me the same as many other women are getting around the country as standard. And they could still say no.
    I’ll be taking this further after, by taking it to my local TD; it won’t help me but will hopefully make a difference for other ladies in the future.
    I’ll keep you updated!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭ene

Has anyone not felt any movements yet? I am 18 weeks and nothing.... beginning to feel worried

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Yellowmac

Newbie here, a bit late to the party! 21 weeks today :)
    Have been following the thread for weeks and have really enjoyed reading everyone's happy news and seeing all of the progress, it's been lovely to follow along with such a
    friendly and supportive thread. Now finally feeling brave enough to join after big scan last week went well. It was an amazing day! Best of luck to anyone having theirs this week I found it quite nerve-wracking.

Ene don't worry I wasn't sure if I was feeling any movements before my scan- all I could feel were tiny pops (like popcorn popping) and only if I really pressed my hand on my belly. And they were so sporadic I'd feel none for a few days so I was really unconvinced that they were movements - I was sure they were gas. But when I had 20 week scan last week that was right where the feet were! And all of a sudden at 21 weeks they have turned into proper big kicks which you couldn't mistake for gas! :) Baby is still so small at this time it still has plenty of space in your belly so might not be hitting you with its little hands and feet just yet.

For the first time this week the ticker on my pregnancy app showed less weeks left to go than already passed, and that has kind of freaked me out! Plus it feels like winter arrived today (brrr) and to me that also means baby is coming 😂 it's all getting real!! Exciting but terrifying!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

ene wrote: »
    Has anyone not felt any movements yet? I am 18 weeks and nothing.... beginning to feel worried

Is it your first? If so that’s very normal. I didn’t start feeling movement on my first until around 22 or 23 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭charcosull

Hi All,
    We had our Anomaly Scan today. supposed to be 20 weeks but my wife is 21 weeks and a couple of days.
    All good and delighted to find out its a boy.
    My wife has felt the popping sensation since last week, when she was just after 20 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭paulers06

charcosull wrote: »
    Hi All,
    We had our Anomaly Scan today. supposed to be 20 weeks but my wife is 21 weeks and a couple of days.
    My wife has felt the popping sensation since last week, when she was just after 20 weeks.

Congratulations. Glad to hear it all went well. Have mine on Thursday and please god everything will be fine. Will be just short of 20 weeks. Did you get any pictures to take away? The pictures I’ve gotten from my OB are pretty fuzzy, think the machine is fairly old.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 clarnimhurchu

charcosull wrote: »
    Hi All,

Congratulations! So glad to hear all is good! I am having a boy also, although I am yet to have the anomaly scan, I found out via a Panorama NIPT. I'll be 21 weeks also. I think that's normal (they say 20-22 weeks).
    I sent an email to the MLU dept at the hospital saying how upset I was over the lack of an anomaly scan and they called me in the week to discuss.
    The lady I spoke with couldn’t have been nicer.
    She has booked me in with a consultant on Tuesday to discuss it further and see if they will refer me.
    It’s something, but still disgusting that I even have to go in and practically beg someone to give me the same as many other women are getting around the country as standard. And they could still say no.
    I’ll be taking this further after, by taking it to my local TD; it won’t help me but will hopefully make a difference for other ladies in the future.
    I’ll keep you updated!

Thanks for doing that, Chelle_C. I really hope it makes a change for other women attending your hospital, and writing to your TD would really be helpful. I really hope they give you an anomaly scan also. I know that it is something that would worry me, even if all other indications were to a healthy baby.
    Yellowmac wrote: »
    Newbie here, a bit late to the party! 21 weeks today :)
    Have been following the thread for weeks and have really enjoyed reading everyone's happy news and seeing all of the progress, it's been lovely to follow along with such a friendly and supportive thread. Now finally feeling brave enough to join after big scan last week went well. It was an amazing day! Best of luck to anyone having theirs this week I found it quite nerve-wracking.

Congratulations Yellowmac!

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭ene

bee06 wrote: »
    Is it your first? If so that’s very normal. I didn’t start feeling movement on my first until around 22 or 23 weeks.

Ye it is my first... I am just ridiculously worried all the time, like I have paid for 3 extra scans and everything was fine.

I ate parma ham the other day ( I am on holidays in Spain) and now I am really worried!

ene wrote: »
    Ye it is my first... I am just ridiculously worried all the time, like I have paid for 3 extra scans and everything was fine.

I ate parma ham the other day ( I am on holidays in Spain) and now I am really worried!

Ene I know it’s easier said than done but do try to relax, it’s not good for you or the baby to be anxious.
    I was in Dubrovnik a few weeks ago, I ate mussels and prawns whilst there. I’ve also eaten blue cheese in the past few weeks (not realizing I wasn’t supposed to) and I’m not worrying.
    The chances of these types of things having any effect are so, so low that it’s really not worth worrying about and you’re causing yourself unnecessary stress.
    I don’t want to sound like a walking cliche but some kind of meditation in the mornings and evenings may help you to reorganise your thoughts so that your every waking moment isn’t spent in a panic.

I was the same as you for the first 12 weeks so I do sympathise however I really relaxed after my scan and am now loving my pregnancy.

I wasn’t sure whether to say this as I don’t want to cause you more anxiety but I have also heard too many scans may not be good for the baby - please don’t quote me on that, I’m not a doctor but it’s just something to be aware of if you’ve had a few already and plan on more. Maybe have a chat with your doctor about it when you’re home.

I hope you enjoy the rest of your holiday, it’s likely to be the last chance you get to totally relax again for a few years!!

Oh and by the way I’m 19 weeks on Thursday and haven’t felt any movement either yet so you’re not alone! x

So good news for me, I am having an anomaly scan - woohoo!
    I had an appointment today with the consultant at the hospital.
    Had to wait over an hour to see him but once I was in, he had booked the scan for me within 2 minutes.

Didn't even ask my reasons why, just said he doesn't want any of his patients to be stressed and he is happy to give me one so I am booked in for the 22nd when I'll be just over 21 weeks.

I am so happy :) however it's still awful I had to even complain in order to get one in the first place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭Rockiemalt

Chelle c thats great news about the scan! It seems really wrong you have to fight for it though.
    Mines in 2 weeks where I’ll be just over 21 +2 so fingers crossed all will be good.

Is anyone heading to the baby fair in the RDS this weekend? I think it may be full of overpriced rubbish but going for a snoop anyway as we got free tickets!

Advertisement