Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clare GAA Discussion part 2 , No Purple Jumpers Allowed !!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,878 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

From the outside looking in there can be alot of bitterness on this thread

eh .... not too sure about that , davy fitz maybe but that wound runs deep

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

eh .... not too sure about that , davy fitz maybe but that wound runs deep
    well you'd think people here would want to move on from that wound if that's the case...

New Era wrote: »

Sixmilebridge man Cyl O Connor and Wexford senior hurling selector Brendan Bulger are the commentators on Clare fm for the hurling. A bit biased towards smb I feel.

excellent post until this part , i dont think cyl was ever biased towards clare or the bridge ever , i met him a few times after a few clare games on the road over the years at service stations and the like and all he ever seemed to talk about was the opposition , never regarded his commentaries as biased towards clare maybe his co commentators were but he never was

i was working today and missed the hurling what i heard was mixed about the referee i have no doubt he was put under pressure on the line by tim crowe's sidekick though

well you'd think people here would want to move on from that wound if that's the case...

why?? he is still heavily involved in clare hurling and so is his farther so the wound is still open at the moment

well done inagh/k by the way excellent win in the camogie final , newmarket did brilliant to bring it back after a bad start , a really good young team will be back again no doubt but impressive from the combo and will be a force for years to com

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

BloodyBill wrote: »
    Youre a sore loser and nothing more. How many of your forwards scored? 2.. How many years have Eire Og being making Excuses? 30 years and counting.
    The Bridges style at the moment isn't great. Id prefer a more expansive game but we lack pace and have to crowd out the middle. Im not going to criticise Eire og again. They have some lovely hurlers and the Bridge always wish the best to other Clare teams when winning or losing. We suffered under the heavy yoke of obnoxious Newmarket teams for years. We vowed to never act the same.The problem people have with the county board or Davy are legitimate problems though bring them up after getting beat...well thats a sore loser right there.

Obviously not quite me your addressing but I’m far from a bad loser. Your bang on in saying that game was for eire ogs to win and they just didn’t have it for the second half. It wasn’t as if the bridge were that good and we didn’t create opportunities. Just didn’t execute or have the striking levels to take the scores.

Lol at the Bridge wishing the best to other teams though!!!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I didnt see the match myself but was talking to someone who did and they commented that Eire Og gave away a lot of frees for either over carrying or bad handpasses, they also got a couple of frees overturned for afters.

12 scores from play between 2 of the top teams in the county is a terrible amount, Eire Og only having 2 scorers is even worse, the fact that they've the supposed best forward in the county who was held scoreless doesn't help.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Obviously not quite me your addressing but I’m far from a bad loser. Your bang on in saying that game was for eire ogs to win and they just didn’t have it for the second half. It wasn’t as if the bridge were that good and we didn’t create opportunities. Just didn’t execute or have the striking levels to take the scores.

I was kind of hoping for a Eire Og Mills final

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭BloodyBill

I respect your opinion. Thats a fairly accurate summation of the game. Eire Og didn't take their chances.
    As a Sixmilebridge person I would take offense at the assertion that we don't wish other teams the best. Thats not a nice thing to hear and if its true then I'd apologise on behalf of Sixmilebridge people. We didn't win a county until 1977 and took awful beatings. It was always drummed into us to be good winners and losers However Eire Og have been beaten time and time again by the Bridge and the gameplan doesn't change. Ye should not be giving excuses.
    Sixmilebridge people are abit different too. We don't consider Ennis as 'town'. Never have.Thats what we call Limerick. We have a huge Limerick population. Even going back to the 1600s the village was a Dutch and English town ,majority Protestant for many years. Hence the many unusual surnames that differentiate Sixmilebridge from its surrounds. Chaplin,Frost, Morey ect. So its got a unique identity. We've no traditional music culture like Tulla ect ...but we are proud Clare people. The Fitzgerald debate is as real in Sixmilebridge as it is throughout Clare. Im happy Lohan is in charge.
    Let's leave terms like 'that shower' outside this thread. It's unnecessary. Looking forward to the county final and be it the Fireballs or Ballyea we ll take the win or loss on the chin like we always have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭New Era

Does anyone notice when watching matches at opposite ends of the pitch, involving Fitz managed or coached teams, that the goalkeeping coach is standing in the terraces giving out instructions, using his walkie talkie to his goalie??

Is it illegal?? In any case I find it incredible. Trust your goalie ffs to make the right decisions. It underlines the narrative that DF is some sort of "control freak". Any thoughts from posters here will be most welcome.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭Figerty

Does anyone notice when watching matches at opposite ends of the pitch, involving Fitz managed or coached teams, that the goalkeeping coach is standing in the terraces giving out instructions, using his walkie talkie to his goalie??

Is it illegal?? In any case I find it incredible. Trust your goalie ffs to make the right decisions. It underlines the narrative that DF is some sort of "control freak". Any thoughts from posters here will be most welcome.

Long known for this. It's probably not dissallowed but it's out of order. It's playing by proxy.

As a goalie it's demeaning to have the manager in your ear all the time and not trusting your players..

I hear a motion to congress coming on!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,581 ✭✭✭golfball37

I wouldn’t begrudge the players and families of the bridge at all. The last ten minutes yesterday Eire ogs use of possession was awful, that was finishing line nerves and something the bridge don’t suffer from.
    My issue is outsiders pandering to them because of who is involved with them. Bugler on commentary and every second ref in the county. That’s not the Bridge lads fault but it is a reality for a lot of outsiders looking in.

There used to be a rule that officals couldn't be on the end line or around the goal, then it was changed to not to be allowed around your opponents goal, I think that was gotten rid of a few years back though, I do know that officals are only allowed to enter the field of play from the sideline. Players can't have communication devices, so goalies can't have an ear piece, I think there was a case of a youth player needing a hearing aid so the rules were ammended but I'm not sure how.

I always laugh at Davy taking the control of the puck out off the goalie, talk to any previous team mate of his and they'll tell you how they could never get Davy to take instruction for the puck out and his tactic was to hit it as high and far as possible

• Registered Users Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭Figerty

Clareman wrote: »
    There used to be a rule that officals couldn't be on the end line or around the goal, then it was changed to not to be allowed around your opponents goal, I think that was gotten rid of a few years back though, I do know that officals are only allowed to enter the field of play from the sideline. Players can't have communication devices, so goalies can't have an ear piece, I think there was a case of a youth player needing a hearing aid so the rules were ammended but I'm not sure how.

I always laugh at Davy taking the control of the puck out off the goalie, talk to any previous team mate of his and they'll tell you how they could never get Davy to take instruction for the puck out and his tactic was to hit it as high and far as possible

Ya, and if you got him cross he would hit out too fast like against Kilkenny! Problem was KK returned if over the bar for him..

if you want to be a hurling club move to kilkenny , i cant see what st Josephs Doora/Barefields excuse could be now , a good club ruined by stupidy the sooner they realize it the better :confused::rolleyes:

https://twitter.com/GaaClare/status/1301962520786239490

Maybe the obituary should be delayed for the parish just yet. They beat Shannon Gaels 2-11 to 0-7 in the Clare intermediate football semi final yesterday. Their minor footballers are in the semi finals of the Clare minor a football championship. A very good team too.

Corofin will be the parish's opponents in the intermediate football final. They defeated Kildysart 1-15 to 0-11 earlier today.

So it's Doora Barefield v Corofin with the winners playing Senior A football for 2021.

Meanwhile Tony Kelly is putting on a masterclass for Ballyea v the Mills. 0-4 from play from the GOAT.

Ballyea 0-9 Mills 1-4 is the latest after 27 mins.

Figerty wrote: »
    Ya, and if you got him cross he would hit out too fast like against Kilkenny! Problem was KK returned if over the bar for him..

He also didn't seem to be playing in the same game as those out the field, Limerick on 96 where Clare were out on their feet, should have pucked it anywhere except on top of Carey, his puck outs against Cork in the late 00s cost us as well, every puck out was into Gardner hand

Meanwhile Tony Kelly is putting on a masterclass for Ballyea v the Mills. 0-4 from play from the GOAT.

Ballyea 0-9 Mills 1-4 is the latest after 27 mins.

We mustnt be watching the same game, Kelly is far from putting on a masterclass, he's scoring when free but he's not marking anyone and the Mills are able to go straight up the middle. All square at half time

Maybe the obituary should be delayed for the parish just yet. They beat Shannon Gaels 2-11 to 0-7 in the Clare intermediate football semi final yesterday. Their minor footballers are in the semi finals of the Clare minor a football championship. A very good team too.

Corofin will be the parish's opponents in the intermediate football final. They defeated Kildysart 1-15 to 0-11 earlier today.

So it's Doora Barefield v Corofin with the winners playing Senior A football for 2021.

That was a seriously good under 16 team, didn't they win the double in hurling and football?? Or at least get to both finals.

Is there definitely promotion this year?? I know there isn't any relegation wasn't sure about promotion

• Registered Users Posts: 2,686 ✭✭✭4Ad

Couple of soft frees for The Mills at the end of the half to keep them in it...not complaining though !!

Clareman wrote: »
    That was a seriously good under 16 team, didn't they win the double in hurling and football?? Or at least get to both finals.

Is there definitely promotion this year?? I know there isn't any relegation wasn't sure about promotion

Regarding last year U16's I believe that in the football they played Ennistymon in the decider, unsure about the winners though. In the hurling they played Clooney Quin and won the final.

Yes there is promotion from intermediate and junior grades in both codes. No relegation as you said.

0-7 from Mr you know who from play today against the Mills. Ballyea 0-13 Mills 1-10 in the early stages in the second half

• Advertisement

All action in the park. A goal for Ballyea by....

They led by 2

All action in the park. A goal for Ballyea by....

They led by 2

Great save from Kelly,but there's no one marking him,he's running onto ball after ball between the 45s. Saying that to win a semi final you need your county players to step up and he's doing that

Bad shooting by the Mills is going to cost them 1 16 to 1 14 after 56

Jesus goalie let it go wide

2 16 to 1 17 to the Mills

2 bad missed frees at the end of normal time could cost Ballyea, wide by Kelly and off the by post Deasy

Great play by Donnellan at the end, great leadership.

2 17 to 1 17 final score

• Registered Users Posts: 16,010 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Cmon the fireballs. We are back in the big time.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

That’s certainly a bit of a shock. Fair play to the Mills.

All aboard the mills band wagon now!!!!

Just rang my Mills friend there. He is just overwhelmed, little emotional too. What an amazing club. They are in the Junior A final also. Colin Henry was inspirational. Pat Donnellan, what a man and a proper gent to boot. Love to see him to get his hands on Canon Hamilton. A warrior for club and county.

What about Donach O Donnell. He is highly regarded as a coach and is getting the maximum out of this group of Mills players.

Ballyea just ran out of steam. Simple as and were fortunate that like 2 years so in the same fixture, also in the semi final stage that TK was given the freedom of the park and the scores followed, but only for that they would have lost by a more greater margin.

The Mills v the Bridge so in the final on Sunday two weeks. All that I can say is fair dues to the Mills. A club getting the very best out of their resources, mighty stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,010 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Just rang my Mills friend there. He is just overwhelmed, little emotional too. What an amazing club. They are in the Junior A final also. Colin Henry was inspirational. Pat Donnellan, what a man and a proper gent to boot. Love to see him to get his hands on Canon Hamilton. A warrior for club and county.

What about Donach O Donnell. He is highly regarded as a coach and is getting the maximum out of this group of Mills players.

Ballyea just ran out of steam. Simple as and were fortunate that like 2 years so in the same fixture, also in the semi final stage that TK was given the freedom of the park and the scores followed, but only for that they would have lost by a more greater margin.

The Mills v the Bridge so in the final on Sunday two weeks. All that I can say is fair dues to the Mills. A club getting the very best out of their resources, mighty stuff.

I think loughnanes frees really kept us in the game, few times I thought to myself how are they still in this game.

Advertisement