Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clare GAA Discussion part 2 , No Purple Jumpers Allowed !!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭carter10

No different than Lohan acting the maggot all game on the line…..as usual

• Registered Users Posts: 5,909 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

Fitz went on the late late show last year speaking about referee abuse , and said that anyone that acts out of line with referees should be given a lifetime ban

If ever there was a hypocrite he is one , it's hard not to get involved if you are part of the Clare management team given all the jibes he has been throwing at them

Lohan is no saint either but Fitz is a disgrace as usual

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭YabaDabaDooley

I don't think there's ever been a GAA manager who has abused, remonstrated and argued with officials more than him. He is toxic imo. A nasty little egomaniac who loves being the centre of attention.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭High bike

Do u not think he had reason to feel aggrieved yesterday,I'm not condoning the abuse of referees but at the very least a manager should be entitled to question decisions that are not clearcut.Its bad enough the crew on the Sunday game being gagged for fear of questioning a referee but now it seems managers have to just shut up and take it too.And no I'm not a Davy fan or anti Clare it applies to all managers.

What could he possibly be aggrieved about about, there is no way from his position he could have seen if it was a 65 or not , maybe he was angry that mark Rodgers took a 65 from 64 yards out which happens all the time as players look for a slightly longer coat of grass

He said in his interview after the game that his grievance was the awarding of a 65 , which was actually the right call, there isn't a hope in hell he could have fully seen it from his vantage point

Not to mention getting stuck into Tommy Corbett and the pitch full of kids it's ridiculous stuff

• Advertisement

……

Agreed he couldn't see it but neither could the umpire.I don t think in fairness it was about the 64 yards that made no difference what so ever it was the proximity to the sideline from where it was taken and neither the linesman or umpire corrected that.Also the time added on I think was an issue as both the penalty and that 65 came in added time.

He completely contradicts himself all the time, he has potential to be a serious manager if he wasn't so stubborn, no one is right only himself

It's a pity the late late show is finished for The summer, they could have brought Fitz back on next Friday night to condemn abuse of referees and bullying ..... again!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭PeggyShippen

The behaviour from Davy and the Clare selector was atrocious. What were the Clare selectors doing over with the referee? They inflamed the situation. No excuse for Davy, he's an appalling individual.

Was he correct about the lack of injury time even though there was a penalty that took 1min + off the clock.. yes he was correct. There ought yo have been one more play especially as the Umpire and ref knew there was controversy over the 65. Legitimate and all as thr 65 was.

Some of the Clare backs were terrible yesterday. Diarmuid Ryan was especially bad..but he wasn't alone. Cleary was badly beaten and yes his lack if hurling was all too evident at times. Rory Hayes was destroyed and Conlon was stuck to the ground. I hate to say it lads but if it's a Limerick v Clare munster final those guys will be exposed again... Theres a huge amount of work to be done . Malone and Lohan midfield...not good enough, we need Ryan Taylor back asap.

We also butchered 2 goals at least. Rodgers not passing to Reidy in the first half was a disgrace and David Fitzgerald batting the ball over and there an empty goal was another unacceptable outcome . We are in a good position but we've alot to work on.

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

They're should have been another minute played but I think he told the players before the Rodgers free that this is the last play what I am led to believe is Rodgers knew this before the 65 was struck

• Advertisement

Cleary got caught badly for the goal for sure , had a good first half but poor second, he's not alone in this, in the first 5 minutes of the second half we missed 3 or 4 criminal wides that would have put us 8 or 9 points

The problem with Hogan and Hayes was the amount of quality ball allowed into the forwards by de burca, had the line decided to push Lohan or Malone out to mark the sweeper and move Reidy to midfield it would have curbed the attacks

Conlon was left in a free role at times and worked hard to be fair to him , Ryan Taylor is a huge loss as was David McInerney and a fully fit Kelly, Kelly did well enough when he came on but not as sharp yet

Well then as I said Davy had a right to feel aggrieved,as u know a lot can happen I a minute.Maybe nothing would have happened but in fairness I think Waterford deserved a chance to try.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,149 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Genuine question here - but did Waterford getting a penalty warrant extra additional time ?

Is the penalty award and the taker lining it up not a natural part of the game.

There could be 30 frees awarded in a game, each of which need to be taken and lined up

There was a bit of indecision over the 65 but was the time not already up at that point

no the point I was making was I taught there would be one last play after the Rodgers score, but it seems the referee had the players told that the 65 was the last play of the game, none of the Waterford players protested at the end , Calum Lyons certainly wasn't as the camera zoomed on himself and Shane O'Donnell having a chat, then the camera zooms out and you see Fitzgerald launching abuse at the referee

I get that the ref told the players,but by your own admission should there have been another minute at least I think it's the least Waterford deserved then there would be less complaining if he gave them a chance and they didn't take it well tough.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭Figerty

No. That's part of the game time. Ref only stops the clock for injuries. Starting a row is part of game time.

That was exactly the problem. Waterford moved Cleary out to the sideline for most of the game as he man-marked. The problem was that we conceded the puck outs and we lost it at midfield. Once Lohan tired gaps opened. Waterford were raking ball in from all angles and Conlon as Sweeper wasn't covering the ground. Only positive was Waterford kept feeding the corners and not down the centre,, until the Penalty. That was one of the few balls lorded in..we have to do better in the half-forward line to defend and prevent the exposure inside.

Tipp got wiped out becuase they didn't have a sweeper type setup.

Same man Davy, got three months for abusing Willie Barrett at a Fitzgibbon match in Athlone. It should have been a year long ban.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭KIB4Life

To be honest hate the roaring or shouting from managers on a sideline, I’d prefer to see a manager keeping his cool and having a calm head. Also managers should by now realise to stop being in the ear of officials. Lohan can get a bit animated on the sideline as well.

It’s all a show with Davy, you can see it on the TV before games where it has the camera on the players going into the dressing room, Davy’s at the door encouraging players going into the dressing room. All for show.

No one can take Davy’s All Ireland win in 2013 off him, but the years after he nearly ruined Clare hurling, personally I lost interest in the team as they were indisciplined and it was all about Davy.

The biggest thing that Lohan has brought it’s that he was brought back the love for the team and has got them performing exceptionally well and hopefully he and the team will get either a Munster or All Ireland this year for their efforts.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭mcw100

RTÉ news channel

• Advertisement

Any concern about Limerick man Johnny Murphy being the ref on Sunday ?

If Tipp win, Limerick are guaranteed to progress regardless

If Clare win or draw, then if Limerick lose they are out of the championship

Seems on odd position to put a referee in

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭sportsfan90

I have 2 stand tickets for Sunday that I won’t be using if anyone here is interested I can transfer on ticketmaster.

I know there’s still tickets available online so I can do a 2 for 1 and sell the 2 for €30.

An unchanged team named for Sunday. But then again, it feels like we always name an unchanged team regardless.

David McInerney still not back in the squad.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 codea

If Limerick beat Waterford in the first game do you think Lohan will change the team for Tipp as we would be in Munster final regardless of the Tipp result??

Both matches on at the same time at 4pm,same in Leinster matches on at 2pm

i dont think it makes a difference , we need to take care of our own business , and we need to improve on last week , we left a ton of scores behind us last week that needs to change , not to mention the amount of goals we have been conceding

for all the talk of tipp going bad , they scored 1-20 last week only a few points less then what waterford scored last week , big improvement required

got the job done , poor game , tipperary showed more fight then us at times , we looked stuck to the ground at times , another super performance by shane o donnell , its looking like a straight shoot out between himself and lee chinn for hurler of the year at the moment

not happy with the level of workrate and decision making at times by the likes of david fitz and duggan in the second half , i fell they are the first two to drop down a gear when we get 6 or 7 points ahead , mark rodgers worked hard but took too much out of the ball at times

conor lean was top drawer again he will surly start the final now , both galvin and lohan were really industrious too

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭fire_man

Sloppy performance today.Not killing off teams and wasting alot scoring chances. Big improvement needed.

totally agree , and tony doesn't seem to be moving as well as if he could start , o'donnell is a superstar though

• Advertisement

Will David Mc be ready? if he is, and Galvin loses out, Lohan has a very good option at either wing-back, or at mid-field. We fall on our work rate when Lohan gets tired, Brian Lohan needs an option there to slot in, pick up the pace and drive on. Duggan went out of the game after the belt, he was working hard but not winning primary possession.

The other concern is can Conlon last a game in a Munster final and if tiring, can he be replaced?

Kelly has two more weeks to loosen out. Hopefully, that's enough. Last year we had Cleary missing the final, and that cost us. This year with Lean and Hayes there is cover. Lean is a smart hurler.

We have cover in each line this year with a strengthening of the squad.

Flanagan went off for Limerick today,. It looked like a hamstring but he was smart enough to call it.

Advertisement