Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clare GAA Discussion part 2 , No Purple Jumpers Allowed !!

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Figerty wrote: »
    You could say he is a scorer of great goals..

Up there with Éamonn Taffee of the scorer of the greatest goals of all time

• Registered Users Posts: 5,878 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

Miltowns discipline let them down early in the second half to surrender their title at the 1/4 stage, teams that run at them from angles outside the D area seem to get the better of them Kilmurry in round 1 and Cratloe today especially in the second half

Corofin defeated Wolfe Tones comfortably in the final intermediate 1/4 Final by 2:14 to 0-9

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭KIB4Life

Miltowns discipline let them down early in the second half to surrender their title at the 1/4 stage, teams that run at them from angles outside the D area seem to get the better of them Kilmurry in round 1 and Cratloe today especially in the second half

Corofin defeated Wolfe Tones comfortably in the final intermediate 1/4 Final by 2:14 to 0-9

Cratloe deserve a lot of credit for their performance yesterday particularly after what has been a tough few weeks for the club. They put some amount of pressure on Sean O’Brien’s kick outs throughout the game and won several kick outs which meant that Cratloe had a platform in the game and was crucial in the winning of the game for Cratloe.

It’s going to be an interesting draw tonight as you have two very experienced teams in Kilmurry and Cratloe who are used to getting to semi finals, while Lissycasey and St Breckans have been building at underage for the last number of years but would be underdogs but both teams are well trained and have quality forwards that could do damage to any team if they get enough of ball into them.

Also Lissycasey were involved in the first penalty shootout in Clare Club Football last night as far as I’m aware as they overcame Doonbeg in the O’Gorman Cup after penalties. Just wondering what some people think of penalties in the GAA as a way of deciding a game for me I don’t see much of a problem with penalties they are great drama and it’s much more then a lottery which is what you often hear from commentators during a penalty shootout in soccer as it takes a lot of skill and nerve to be able to score under that pressure.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Sterling Archer

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Matches at the weekend are going to be free to stream, that's good news

https://twitter.com/GaaClare/status/1300542234819874816?s=20

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭Marty Xavier

I have enormous respect for Shane O Donnell as a player, I remember Kilkenny came to Ennis for a league game when O Donnell was still probably a teenager and wasn't well known. Clare were under awful pressure that day but O Donnell almost beat them on his own, he was double marked and still caused wreck.

I said to myself here is someone to watch out for. When he was selected for the replayed fiinal in 2013 I boldly stated the night before in a pub that Clare will score goals tomorrow and win!

Great player, his goal against Galway in 2018 was something else.

I have enormous respect for Shane O Donnell as a player, I remember Kilkenny came to Ennis for a league game when O Donnell was still probably a teenager and wasn't well known. Clare were under awful pressure that day but O Donnell almost beat them on his own, he was double marked and still caused wreck.

I said to myself here is someone to watch out for. When he was selected for the replayed fiinal in 2013 I boldly stated the night before in a pub that Clare will score goals tomorrow and win!

Great player, his goal against Galway in 2018 was something else.

Agree completely but the problem is since the replay in 2013 he hasn't lived up to his potential on a regular basis, the 2 games against Galway were probably his best performances since, I did think that with Conlon and Duggan in the forwards with him that Clare had a great set of forwards

• Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭BnB

Clareman wrote: »
    Agree completely but the problem is since the replay in 2013 he hasn't lived up to his potential on a regular basis, the 2 games against Galway were probably his best performances since, I did think that with Conlon and Duggan in the forwards with him that Clare had a great set of forwards

I think 2014, 2015 and 2016 were largely lost to him (outside of his control) playing most of the time in a one man Full forward line - Still showing flashes of what he can do but spending most of the time battling with 2 or sometimes 3 backs and no support to try and win ball.

In 2017 and 2018, under new management he did enough to be nominated for an all star both years.

2019 was obviously interrupted with his studies.

He's a great man to win his own hard ball. Very clever hurler who is always looking for the smart thing to do and a massive work rate. I strongly believe there's still a lot to come from him and have no doubt that he will go on to win at least one all-star if not even a few.

BnB wrote: »
    I think 2014, 2015 and 2016 were largely lost to him (outside of his control) playing most of the time in a one man Full forward line - Still showing flashes of what he can do but spending most of the time battling with 2 or sometimes 3 backs and no support to try and win ball.

In 2017 and 2018, under new management he did enough to be nominated for an all star both years.

2019 was obviously interrupted with his studies.

He's a great man to win his own hard ball. Very clever hurler who is always looking for the smart thing to do and a massive work rate. I strongly believe there's still a lot to come from him and have no doubt that he will go on to win at least one all-star if not even a few.

I think the match in 2017 where Clare lost to Tipp down to Cork was the downfall of this team, they really should have won that but some of the top players didn't produce it on the day

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭fire_man

Does anyone buy Clare Champion anymore.I feel sports coverage really poor over last couple of years.

• Advertisement

this time 25 years ago tonight we were in a haze of almost disbelief , the homecoming was just complete and the rest of the county standing outside burren cabs waiting for one of their 5 taxis to give them a lift home !

some great accolades came out of that time though

1 : while it was great and the match poor ,i am still taken back by the level of national intrest in the victory especially throughout the lockdown

2 the footballers started it :pac: , 1995 this was no doubt our italia 90 so , 92 was our joxer goes to Stuttgart ,kerry were england and charlie redmond was Dublins wim keift :rolleyes:

3 : national celebration : i still to this day cant figure the overall national reviews of either event be it football or hurling it seems for one to be in the media every few weeks , might i remind people of one of the grestest snatch and grab jobs in sporting history ? ( 1998 excluded :P) when offaly scored 2-04 in 5 minutes the year before

4: the kings speech: it was akin to Fr Ted wining his golden cleric , everyone got it from some doggy corner forward from waterford that no one ever heard of to babbs keating ,ect... personally i reckon it was the ghost of amby power that jumped into dalys shell and said " im taking over here you"l probably make a balls of it "

5 : the one thing i dont get is the profound difference it made to peoples lives since in the county
    clare was doing pretty well at the time the buildings were booming , it wasnt the worst time to be a farmer in the county and shannon was overloaded with work

yet an inferior complex existed in the county , its amazing what a bit of sport can do to the mindset of 1000s of people

if you want to be a hurling club move to kilkenny , i cant see what st Josephs Doora/Barefields excuse could be now , a good club ruined by stupidy the sooner they realize it the better :confused::rolleyes:

https://twitter.com/GaaClare/status/1301962520786239490

if you want to be a hurling club move to kilkenny , i cant see what st Josephs Doora/Barefields excuse could be now , a good club ruined by stupidy the sooner they realize it the better :confused::rolleyes:

I would actually argue that Barefield are playing at their level now, before their great team of the 90s they weren't a big club or a club that were challenging for honours at any grade. They'll make loads of excuses like football/grounds/trainers/ladies/funding but at the end of the day they weren't ever a "powerhouse" of Clare GAA and now they are suffering from not building of their success of the 90s.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 johnjoeR

I would actually argue that Barefield are playing at their level now, before their great team of the 90s they weren't a big club or a club that were challenging for honours at any grade. They'll make loads of excuses like football/grounds/trainers/ladies/funding but at the end of the day they weren't ever a "powerhouse" of Clare GAA and now they are suffering from not building of their success of the 90s.

Very true but still not good enough for a club of its size. The strength in numbers will make you look good at underage. But when it gets to adult hurling, hurlers are required.

Barefield, Clarecastle, Eire Og and Wolfe Tonnes should be dominating the Clare GAA scene because of their size but they are all struggling.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭BloodyBill

Barefield, Clarecastle, Eire Og and Wolfe Tonnes should be dominating the Clare GAA scene because of their size but they are all struggling.

That'd true. I think what links all 4 is poor administration off the pitch and poor coaching underage. All 4 have been poor underage for 10 years with the odd decent team. Nothing like the conveyor belt in Sixmilebridge, Inagh Kilnamona ect... Eire Og and Wolf Tones should be ashamed of themselves but they arent...they just keep on trucking...mediocrity is accepted in both clubs. I know Clarecastle are trying hard but they struggle for numbers...Barefield shot themselves in the foot when they moved the club into the middle of nowhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Hon the town.

Get another shot at the bridge and hopefully have Reidy and Aaron fits this time

• Registered Users Posts: 694 ✭✭✭caddy16

BloodyBill wrote: »
    That'd true. I think what links all 4 is poor administration off the pitch and poor coaching underage. All 4 have been poor underage for 10 years with the odd decent team. Nothing like the conveyor belt in Sixmilebridge, Inagh Kilnamona ect... Eire Og and Wolf Tones should be ashamed of themselves but they arent...they just keep on trucking...mediocrity is accepted in both clubs. I know Clarecastle are trying hard but they struggle for numbers...Barefield shot themselves in the foot when they moved the club into the middle of nowhere.

Clarecastle don't struggle for numbers - they struggle to transition players from minor to adult.

Hon the town.

Get another shot at the bridge and hopefully have Reidy and Aaron fits this time

aaron fitz was excellent as was reidy who were out for the game in round 1 , put up a nice score dispite hitting several wides in the first half . the wides would be my only worry for them next week , the bridge wont let them off the hook as lightly

everywhere else is impressive , fitness strength and a dangerous forward line, liam corry had a serious game also

i found that some of the stuff that went on especially towards lads playing for the football side of the club was disgraceful , thats what my dig was for '

ballyea kilmaley inagh or whoever all can motor away with lads playing for different football clubs , barefield used to arrange hurling training the same time as the footballers which divided the club , they never embraced the huge number increase their parish enjoyed over the last 15 years all they did was divided people

you are right they are at their level now , especially ability wise , they would offer nothing to the senior championship if they were promoted , both tubber and corofin have exciting players coming through , while smith o'brians would be a dogged side for anyone to meet out of the 3 intermediate teams remaining

• Advertisement

caddy16 wrote: »
    Clarecastle don't struggle for numbers - they struggle to transition players from minor to adult.

transition and expectation levels set far too high for younger lads to reach , one or two high profile players left the set up over the years due to stuff they had to endure from the guys with multiple county championship medals in their pockets
    they have a good set of youth to work with now be patient and give them a few years to find their sea legs at senior level and then set the high targets , it will only drive away the younger players if they dont

Barefield made a huge mistake in moving location, they were in the middle of the community and they went to the middle of nowhere, having a book published about their internal politics wasn't a good thing either, they had some success at under 16 so they might get some benefit out of that but a few of their main players from that team are concentrating on rugby.

Barefield made a huge mistake in moving location, they were in the middle of the community and they went to the middle of nowhere, having a book published about their internal politics wasn't a good thing either, they had some success at under 16 so they might get some benefit out of that but a few of their main players from that team are concentrating on rugby.

yep and avenue united moving into their old ground in rosleven will also be a hindrance long term ,

a book would be fine , but a book written by a top national journalist with a (limited enough ) inter county career and brother of one of the most famous hurlers of the last 30 years was always going to sell big , it had huge implications on where the "Parrish" are now

Jesus that's absolute bollocks, the fact that Christy O Connor wrote a book about the club only highlighted some of the malaise that had festered within St Joseph's. To blame his book on the performance over the years is a bit of a stretch.

Well done Eire Og, good win over Feakle. Will test the Bridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭BnB

Killaloe and Corofin sounded like an epic match. Fair play to Killaloe for getting over the line.

Real pity RE crowds is the current crap we're in. Killaloe Vs Scariff in an Intermediate semi final would have drawn a massive crowd from East Clare.

Jesus that's absolute bollocks, the fact that Christy O Connor wrote a book about the club only highlighted some of the malaise that had festered within St Joseph's. To blame his book on the performance over the years is a bit of a stretch.

Well done Eire Og, good win over Feakle. Will test the Bridge.

I think that a senior player and a member of a club executive writing a tell-all book telling about some players smoking at half time, others being a great player who happened to be a sports agent and giving details of club decisions being made with his slant being put on them would have an impact on a clubs performance, the level of impact is open to debate though.

In my opinion, Barefield had a brilliant team in the 90s, 2 hurlers of the year, all star mid-fielder, some exceptional club players who also played county (Hoeys, Whelan, Hassett) as well as solid players in nearly every position but they didn't have anything to follow it up with. If you look at their roll of honour, they won back to back under 21s in 93 and 94, that was Christy, Seanie, Ollie, Jamesie (jesus they love their IEs in Barefield) but they never won before or after, their seniors won 3 county Championships and were in back to back All Ireland finals, that is some record, but instead of concentrating on building for the future they concentrated on building, they have grounds that professional teams would love to have but they are just an intermediate club now and that doesn't look like changing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭Figerty

I think that a senior player and a member of a club executive writing a tell-all book telling about some players smoking at half time, others being a great player who happened to be a sports agent and giving details of club decisions being made with his slant being put on them would have an impact on a clubs performance, the level of impact is open to debate though.

In my opinion, Barefield had a brilliant team in the 90s, 2 hurlers of the year, all star mid-fielder, some exceptional club players who also played county (Hoeys, Whelan, Hassett) as well as solid players in nearly every position but they didn't have anything to follow it up with. If you look at their roll of honour, they won back to back under 21s in 93 and 94, that was Christy, Seanie, Ollie, Jamesie (jesus they love their IEs in Barefield) but they never won before or after, their seniors won 3 county Championships and were in back to back All Ireland finals, that is some record, but instead of concentrating on building for the future they concentrated on building, they have grounds that professional teams would love to have but they are just an intermediate club now and that doesn't look like changing.

Funny when I played underage you never really feared Josepsh, the were, in the 80s; a team you could beat but that team changed everthing. The problem was that it was surge in talent rather than consistency like Sixmilebridge.

The book was a breach of trust really.

Figerty wrote: »
    Funny when I played underage you never really feared Josepsh, the were, in the 80s; a team you could beat but that team changed everthing. The problem was that it was surge in talent rather than consistency like Sixmilebridge.

The book was a breach of trust really.

Same as that, they weren't always at A grade either at a lot of levels. The book was a great read but I know a lot of people from Barefield who have issues with it, if it was my club I know I'd have issues with it, saying that I must read it again.

I think the narrative that a club went off and bettered their lot with regards facilities and pitches and somehow indirectly impacted their ability to compete is way off the mark.
    St Jospeh's outgrew Roslevan a long time before they moved. Some of the training sessions had to be done in the Fair green and besides Hassett's pub in barefield in the 90s as the pitch wasn't available.
    There were no gym facilities at all.
    Now there are 3 good pitches and a hall and gym, go up there nay summer evening or weekend morning and see the amount of kids playing.
    Barefield will come again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭BloodyBill

I think the narrative that a club went off and bettered their lot with regards facilities and pitches and somehow indirectly impacted their ability to compete is way off the mark.
    St Jospeh's outgrew Roslevan a long time before they moved. Some of the training sessions had to be done in the Fair green and besides Hassett's pub in barefield in the 90s as the pitch wasn't available.
    There were no gym facilities at all.
    Now there are 3 good pitches and a hall and gym, go up there nay summer evening or weekend morning and see the amount of kids playing.
    Barefield will come again.

They lost their foothold in the urban area. They should have kept roslevan. I loved playing there. They could have kept both. Their new pitched are as exposed as the Clare grounds in Tulla on bad land.

Advertisement