Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clare GAA Discussion part 2 , No Purple Jumpers Allowed !!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,011 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

That’s certainly a bit of a shock. Fair play to the Mills.

All aboard the mills band wagon now!!!!

I'd say even half the bridge are hoping the mills win never mind the rest of the county.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,951 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Kelly put on an exhibition of loose man hurling today, picking up the ball all over the place, usually with no-one near him, and scored a brilliant 1-8 BUT when the game was in the mix going into the end he went missing, i dont think he touched the ball in the last 10 minutes and hit a terrible wide from a very scorable free.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,951 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

niallo27 wrote: »
    I think loughnanes frees really kept us in the game, few times I thought to myself how are they still in this game.

Frees were 1 thing but your midfields ability to get space and make themselves available for clearances from the goalie or full back line was the winning of the game for ye in my opinion. Ye seemed to have 3 players free at all times and when they got the ball they just ran at Ballyea who then fouled

• Registered Users Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭Figerty

Clareman wrote: »
    Kelly put on an exhibition of loose man hurling today, picking up the ball all over the place, usually with no-one near him, and scored a brilliant 1-8 BUT when the game was in the mix going into the end he went missing, i dont think he touched the ball in the last 10 minutes and hit a terrible wide from a very scorable free.

If you score 1-8 in a match and lose by a last second goal, I'd say the fault hardly lies with you !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭New Era

Good football being played by both St Breckans and Cratloe in the second football semi-final. 0-5 each and the 1st water break has concluded.

• Advertisement

What about this for a scoreline. Clare senior football panelist Joe McCann has fired the games opening goal and the Lisdoonvarna men are 1-6 to 0-6 ahead of Cratloe as half time approaches.

New Era wrote: »
    What about this for a scoreline. Clare senior football panelist Joe McCann has fired the games opening goal and the Lisdoonvarna men are 1-6 to 0-6 ahead of Cratloe as half time approaches.

Half time. St Breckans still 3 points ahead 1-8 to 0-8. Two very well coached teams and some really good football to boot.

Figerty wrote: »
    If you score 1-8 in a match and lose by a last second goal, I'd say the fault hardly lies with you !

Nope, can't be blamed at all and will be disappointed they lost BUT at the end of the game he was nowhere to be seen, compare that with Pat Donnelan at the end

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭BloodyBill

The JJ Hanrahan of Clare.

Absolute belter between Cratloe and St Breckans this evening. Some glorious football and outstanding scores by both teams. The North Clare men were 3 points up at half time, and maintained that advantage midway through the second half. But the second Cratloe goal by Podge was a game changer. Cratloe by then went 3 points up and try and try the Breckans lads to get back into the game, the South East Clare mens experience proved key.

Cratloe 2-16 St Breckans 1-15 was the final score. Breckans will win Jack Daly in the near future, for sure they have outstanding footballers Jamie Stack, Joe McGann, Aidan Davidson and Dale Masterson to name but a few, are very young and play really nice football under Donie Garrihy with Clare senior football selector Declan O Keeffe also part of the management team.

Cratloe v Kilmurry Ibrickane set for Saturday two weeks. At stake is the Jack Daly cup, should be a fantastic final.

• Advertisement

BloodyBill wrote: »

Winners always want the ball when the game's on the line.

https://getyarn.io/yarn-clip/37502a16-9484-4842-bfb1-878e52cdec4c#ThcCb-2XVlw.copy

Kelly seems to go missing when the game is on the line

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭KIB4Life

Absolute belter between Cratloe and St Breckans this evening. Some glorious football and outstanding scores by both teams. The North Clare men were 3 points up at half time, and maintained that advantage midway through the second half. But the second Cratloe goal by Podge was a game changer. Cratloe by then went 3 points up and try and try the Breckans lads to get back into the game, the South East Clare mens experience proved key.

Cratloe 2-16 St Breckans 1-15 was the final score. Breckans will win Jack Daly in the near future, for sure they have outstanding footballers Jamie Stack, Joe McGann, Aidan Davidson and Dale Masterson to name but a few, are very young and play really nice football under Donie Garrihy with Clare senior football selector Declan O Keeffe also part of the management team.

Cratloe v Kilmurry Ibrickane set for Saturday two weeks. At stake is the Jack Daly cup, should be a fantastic final.

2 Brilliant games of football this weekend, four teams going at it hammer and tongs and throwing everything at it. Lissycasey and St Breckans gave it everything in defeat, that little bit of experience that Kilmurry and Cratloe had probably saw them over the line. I felt that the ball that David Collins cleared off the line mid way through the second half was a real game changer as I think it would have put St Breckans 5 or 6 up at that time.

Someone on this thread said that Clare Football was a joke or something along those lines after the goal that Cooraclare conceded against St Breckans well I wonder is that person saying the same time tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭caddy16

Winners always want the ball when the game's on the line.

https://getyarn.io/yarn-clip/37502a16-9484-4842-bfb1-878e52cdec4c#ThcCb-2XVlw.copy

Kelly seems to go missing when the game is on the line
    That's nonsense to be honest. Kelly has single handedly dragged Ballyea over the line in many games over the years.

caddy16 wrote: »
    That's nonsense to be honest. Kelly has single handedly dragged Ballyea over the line in many games over the years.

He's a super player and will almost always shine when given space but he has a habit of disappearing at end of close games, he has nothing to be ashamed about today,1-8 from play is some score BUT he went missing at the end,besides the missed free I don't think he was mentioned in the last 10 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

to be fair Jacob loughnane missed a fairly straight forward one when the mills were 3 or 4 down late in the game , kelly has played his best hurling i have seen him play over the last 4 or 5 weeks he has been sensational

delighted for the mills , their must be something in the water over in kilkishen the way they came out and fought in the last ten minutes was excellent , midfield especially as they were playing second fiddle to murphy and lillis for long parts before hand

some real unsung hero's in that mills team that are a joy to watch every year , aidan fawl , colin crehan aidan o'gorman , loughnane and cooney the biggest one of all is paddy donnellen who knocked over the insurance point , they are an excellent side , dare i say it the bridge's style of hurling will actually suite them in the final ,

i always enjoy watching them , would love to see them win it out

niallo27 wrote: »
    I think loughnanes frees really kept us in the game, few times I thought to myself how are they still in this game.

i think the influence of the mallow man on the sideline got ye over the line ,especially after the final water break , brought one or two men back plugged all the gaps took over midfield and kept their discipline in the tackle

donnacha is a renowned defensive coach and it showed late on today , i believe a very underrated coach

BloodyBill wrote: »

took me a few minutes :rolleyes: i was thinking james hanrahan and wondering what he done wrong :D

i know your a big football man you will be delighted to hear that the standard was excellent this weekend and we stopped kicking the ball of the back of our teammates heads like in round 1 :pac:

the problem with football here is the best players are hurlers , mikey (the pikey) O'Neill , adian mccarthy , cathal mcinarney and podge are probably the best players in the county at the moment on par with keelan sexton and eoin cleary

Maybe the obituary should be delayed for the parish just yet. They beat Shannon Gaels 2-11 to 0-7 in the Clare intermediate football semi final yesterday. Their minor footballers are in the semi finals of the Clare minor a football championship. A very good team too.

Corofin will be the parish's opponents in the intermediate football final. They defeated Kildysart 1-15 to 0-11 earlier today.

So it's Doora Barefield v Corofin with the winners playing Senior A football for 2021.

Meanwhile Tony Kelly is putting on a masterclass for Ballyea v the Mills. 0-4 from play from the GOAT.

Ballyea 0-9 Mills 1-4 is the latest after 27 mins.

my obituary was for hurling over in the parish , football has been excellent over there for over ten years now thats what annoys the purist hurling people the blow ins came from places like kerry and not kilkenny

you are right about kelly GOAT for sure the best i have ever seen from him was over this championship

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭caddy16

He's a super player and will almost always shine when given space but he has a habit of disappearing at end of close games, he has nothing to be ashamed about today,1-8 from play is some score BUT he went missing at the end,besides the missed free I don't think he was mentioned in the last 10 minutes.
    So your talking just about yesterday. If you have watched Ballyea over the years the opposite is the case, when the opposition tires is when he has really come into his own.

caddy16 wrote: »
    So your talking just about yesterday. If you have watched Ballyea over the years the opposite is the case, when the opposition tires is when he has really come into his own.

He's probably the best player in the country when running onto loose ball or overrunning defenders, give him a free run of the park and he'll do damage against anyone, at club level because of his high fitness levels he really keeps going.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Treble double

In my opinion the mills keeper was the difference yesterday he made that save from Kelly which if gone in would have been game over, but forget that his puckouts were superb, he found a mills man in space around the half forward line with everyone. Their puckout strategy was superb because obviously the mills forwards had to create pockets for him but his delivery was laser like, I would say 90% of mills scores came from his puckout where a score was worked or a free was created.
    Ballyea puckouts were hit and miss, they have a lot of big physical players basically footballers who have very little hurling and were over reliant on Deasy and Kelly.
    The Mills are limited but they have a terrific spirit, they got the rub of the green yesterday but they will be rank outsiders against the bridge who are no world beaters but are difficult to break down.
    Would the mills midfielder who got their first goal be worth a shot with the county, it was hard to pick out new faces yesterday who were county standard.

Quite overwhelming and emotional seeing nationwide tonight on rte. 1995 was incredible for all Clare people, great summer and of course the return of Liam McCarthy after 81 long years to The Banner county. The curse of Biddy Byrne was well and truly smashed into smithereens. Thinking of my late mother tonight. She was there in Thurles for Munster glory and in croker on that famous September day, she loved every minute of it.

Great pictures of her lifting the Liam McCarthy at the banquet in the West County and her happiness and the full of joy she celebrated. God bless her.

I'm sure all Clare posters have many great memories of those special years of 1995 and 1997. A great time for all fellow Clare men and women. What great days they were.

Quite overwhelming and emotional seeing nationwide tonight on rte. 1995 was incredible for all Clare people, great summer and of course the return of Liam McCarthy after 81 long years to The Banner county. The curse of Biddy Byrne was well and truly smashed into smithereens. Thinking of my late mother tonight. She was there in Thurles for Munster glory and in croker on that famous September day, she loved every minute of it.

Great pictures of her lifting the Liam McCarthy at the banquet in the West County and her happiness and the full of joy she celebrated. God bless her.

I'm sure all Clare posters have many great memories of those special years of 1995 and 1997. A great time for all fellow Clare men and women. What great days they were.

Agreed and then for Sixmilebridge to win the club All Ireland topped it all off.

There was a Biddy Byrne curse as well as a Biddie Early one!

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭KIB4Life

Figerty wrote: »
    There was a Biddy Byrne curse as well as a Biddie Early one!

Biddy Early died in 1874, so I don’t know why it was considered that she put a curse on Clare since the GAA wasn’t formed until 10 years after her death. I think I read somewhere that it was some priest that put a curse on Clare before the 1914 final, not sure what it was about exactly but before they left he said that they would win that final, but by the time Clare would win again that all the team would be dead, and when Clare won in 95 none of the 1914 team were alive.

KIB4Life wrote: »
    Biddy Early died in 1874, so I don’t know why it was considered that she put a curse on Clare since the GAA wasn’t formed until 10 years after her death. I think I read somewhere that it was some priest that put a curse on Clare before the 1914 final, not sure what it was about exactly but before they left he said that they would win that final, but by the time Clare would win again that all the team would be dead, and when Clare won in 95 none of the 1914 team were alive.

Yeah similar to the mayo story, two players from the bridge area on the morning of the 14 final went to mass at a church beside Cratloe Station but before it ended they heard the train in the distance, sitting at the back of the church they grabbed their bags and made for the train

As they were running out the door the priest shouted, "ye’ll win today but by the time Clare win again there won’t be one of you alive.”

Biddy Early was a herbalist and heeler and much frowned upon by the church in her lifetime, it was probably better for business at the time if she got the blame rather than the priest

KIB4Life wrote: »

Yeah,.I know, but it's the mythical status of these things.
    There was the Galway curse,, the Mayo Curse...etc.

Any opinions on what type of a Hurling final we'll have? I think the 'Mills will turn up and play but I think Sixmilebridge will win. Not because of their gameplan but because they've better hurlers overall. There's a narrative that Davys type of play is not what Clare club hurling needs . Id agree with that but its up to other Clare clubs to show it up as limited . Ballygunnar showed it up but I dont think the Fireballs will.

Congratulations to Clare senior hurling coach Sean Treacy, for his involvement as coach of the Kildangan senior hurlers, after winning their maiden Tipperary senior hurling championship title against the brave Loughmore Castleiney in a brilliant final. Well done to both teams, great skill and endeavour shown in Thurles this afternoon.

• Advertisement

Congratulations to Clare senior hurling coach Sean Treacy, for his involvement as coach of the Kildangan senior hurlers, after winning their maiden Tipperary senior hurling championship title against the brave Loughmore Castleiney in a brilliant final. Well done to both teams, great skill and endeavour shown in Thurles this afternoon.

Congrats to Kiladangan. An average enough game..some brutal defending.

Advertisement