Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clare GAA Discussion part 2 , No Purple Jumpers Allowed !!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,863 ✭✭✭Pogue eile

BloodyBill wrote: »
    An exciting game is what it was with some passages of excellent hurling but overall it was not a great game. Id agree with your point about there being some great scores. There were. However some of the wides in the first 15 minutes especially were terrible. The free taking was suspect from both Seymour and McGrath at crucial times. And the final goal..well taken but seriously do you think a Na Piarsaigh, Ballygunnar, Ballyhale would let a guy catch the ball uncontested pass it to an unmarked man and not lay a hand on him. That has to take away from a serious analysis of the game. Great excitement, not a great game.

Kiladangan played all 3 teams mentioned in challenge games in the last 4 months and scored a total of 13 goals so you tell me?
    Seymour missed one handy free, other misses were from well in his own half, John McGrath missed two handy frees. No idea how that could somehow lead to a game being described as average.
    I think you are seriously underestimating the pace of the game and the fact it was played in an orthodox 15v15 fashion, of course there were going to be mistakes in a 80 plus min game played in that manner.
    As a reference point, you say this was an average club game, what would you, say in the last 12 months, consider an above average club match and an example of a great club match?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 04581466

What's happening at Sixmilebridge GAA grounds at the moment? A lot of people around....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭Figerty

04581466 wrote: »
    What's happening at Sixmilebridge GAA grounds at the moment? A lot of people around....

they are having the victory celebrations...:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭New Era

04581466 wrote: »

The minor a hurling final took place in O Garney park. Back to back minor a hurling champions for Corofin Ruan after defeating a gallant and brave Feakle Killanena 2-16 to 2-11.

The standard of minor hurling and underage hurling in general has been exceptionally high this year. A huge credit to all coaches in both club and development squad level for maintaining high standards in Clare hurling.

Massive congrats to our victorious Kilmurry Ibrickane poster KIB4Life after their 1-12 to 0-12 win over Cratloe in the county senior football final at Cusack park today.

Daniel Walsh is going to be a superstar for club and county for sure. Outstanding contribution from the Clare U20 football panellist this year.

Marty McMahon and Noel Downes. Just take a bow. Keelan Sexton were also immense today.

But I’m sure there were emotional scenes today for today’s captain Michael Hogan who has hung up his boots after nearly 20 service playing senior football for the Quilty club. A top guy and he has been such a warrior for the green and red. A absolute legend of Clare football for sure.

Well done KIB. Hard luck Cratloe who to their credit fought to the bitter end. The bonfires will be lit all throughout this great part of Clare for sure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,703 ✭✭✭4Ad

Figerty wrote: »
    they are having the victory celebrations...:D

Dont ruin my dreams !!

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭KIB4Life

New Era wrote: »
    Massive congrats to our victorious Kilmurry Ibrickane poster KIB4Life after their 1-12 to 0-12 win over Cratloe in the county senior football final at Cusack park today.

Daniel Walsh is going to be a superstar for club and county for sure. Outstanding contribution from the Clare U20 football panellist this year.

Marty McMahon and Noel Downes. Just take a bow. Keelan Sexton were also immense today.

But I’m sure there were emotional scenes today for today’s captain Michael Hogan who has hung up his boots after nearly 20 service playing senior football for the Quilty club. A top guy and he has been such a warrior for the green and red. A absolute legend of Clare football for sure.

Well done KIB. Hard luck Cratloe who to their credit fought to the bitter end. The bonfires will be lit all throughout this great part of Clare for sure.

Thanks very much, it certainly has uplifted our parish in a time, when things have been tough for everyone. I think in the end we nearly made harder work of the victory then what we should have, but in fairness to Cratloe they kept fighting and they missed some scoreable chances near the game of the second half, which if they had converted could have brought the game to extra time.

Marty McMahon, like you said was immense dictated the whole game, and watching the game back, a certain Joe Brolly couldn’t figure out how Cratloe weren’t trying to do something to stop his influence on the game.

I thought two of newer players in the panel that put in massive shifts were Andrew Shannon and Diarmuid King who were both composed and measured in their play. Andrew Shannon would have played a lot of football in the backs and is a good tackler so he was the man tasked with tracking one of Cratloe’s key influential players in Liam Markham.

Noel Downes again was superb he has had serious back issues that has restricted his game time in the last number of years, but he seems to have got it sorted this year and he was immense yesterday.

Keelan Sexton has rounded his game to become probably one of the best all round footballers in the county. He has always had the ability and huge skill, but at times was a bit rash and tended to be a small bit selfish but that is no longer the case with him. Dermot Coughlan is a bit like that now and has to get that out of his game as they takes too much out of the ball and his discipline and temperament also needs to improve.

Daniel Walsh another man with a big future in the game and I’m sure Colm Collins will be probably be calling him into the county set up, if not for next month, then definitely next year.

Michael Hogan‘s last hurrah, some way to go out for a man that has given everything for the club, rarely has a bad game and has probably got better with age.

Cratloe I’m sure will be back and don’t be surprised to see them either lifting Jack Daly or Canon Hamilton again in the coming years.

It was great to be back at a match once again and hopefully we can come out the right side of this virus.

On a final note best to luck to the four teams playing in the finals today and hopefully they will be great games. It would be great as a neutral to see O’Callaghan Mills overcome Sixmilebridge, but the ‘Bridge’ have the know how when it comes to winning on the county final stage.

Well done again to KIB4Life again really good match analysis and I’m sure that the celebrations will continue for the coming days and beyond for sure. They have a nucleus of really impressive young players coming through in Quilty and it’s surrounding areas and that can only bode for this great club, as some of those older warriors start hanging up their boots.

Really looking forward to today’s matches in the park commencing with the county intermediate football final between Corofin v Doora Barefield in the coming minutes at 12. Of course the hurling on at 3 is sure to be interesting and I still feel that the Mills can come out on top. They have played the far more impressive hurling out of the two finalists and hopefully cone 4:30 that Bryan Donnellan will do something that no Mills captain has done for 83 years now and lift Canon Hamilton.

Should be a very informative and exciting day of GAA again in Clare for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭BloodyBill

Sixmilebridge playing well so far. Not looking good for the Mills at half time. Gary Cooney needs more ball as he looks like he could get a goal. The Bridges teamwork out the field is impressive. Theyve got more guys playing well ,Corry is outstanding. A goal for the Mills would change everything but its the Bridges to lose at halftime. Alan Mulready is doing alot of work ..playing really well.

Congratulations to BloodyBill on Sixmilebridges back to back canon Hamilton successes. While I genuinely don’t like the Bridges style of hurling, they did put in their best display in the championship and I suppose that getting your best performance of championship 2020 on the big day is what counts.

Commiserations to 4Ad though. Just the team with the greater know how and experience was probably what tipped the balance in favour of the south east Clare men. It has been a whirlwind few weeks for the fireballs after claiming junior a and minor b titles and this experience will hopefully stand them in better stead in the future.

But it was the Bridges day but I fear that the standard of Clare hurling had been extremely poor these past few weeks. All that I can say is hope for the best for Brian Lohan and the Clare senior hurlers as they start championship preparations in earnest this week.

• Advertisement

Thank you 'New Era'. Its great to win and we could only beat what was in front of us. And we beat them comprehensively. Commiserations to O Callaghans's Mill's. They kept plugging away.
    Youre right the standard in Clare is poor in comparison to other top counties. To beat Whitegate, Broadford, Eire Og and the Mills reads like the Bridge won the Intermediate. Only Eire Og are senior standard.
    What its says about Inagh and Kilmaley and Ballyea I cannot say.?!
    However saying that Sixmilebridge were good. Its up to other teams to bypass the Bridges gameplan but it looks like most Clare club teams have no gameplan whatsoever but thats their problem .All the forwards played well. Corry,Mulready,Malone were good. They took their chances. And let's not beat around the bush here, Sixmilebridge have better hurlers all over the pitch and they have some know how and a clear plan.
    Our fullback line is brutal at times and was so exposed last year by Ballygunnar. But the Mills gave in little or no ball to their dangermen. They had no luck either and some of the wides were Junior A type stuff. Crehan was good but they over carried alot.
    We won't get carried away into thinking we have a vintage Bridge side cos they certainly are not but thats number 15 since 1977 and thats good going. Its up to the rest of Clare to up their standards.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,951 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Is this the first time a team has won the county championship without scoring a goal I wonder???

Clareman wrote: »
    Is this the first time a team has won the county championship without scoring a goal I wonder???

I think your right. Another great achievement for the Bridge in not needing to get a goal. Bravo.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,951 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I think your right. Another great achievement for the Bridge in not needing to get a goal. Bravo.

It's a good sign for defensive and outfield play anyway that's for sure, to be fair the Bridge have been the most consistent team this year and are deserved champions.

It's a good sign for defensive and outfield play anyway that's for sure, to be fair the Bridge have been the most consistent team this year and are deserved champions.

Id agree with you. They performed well on the day. To be honest I think Lohan will have his hands full this year in putting a team together. Theres not many backs putting their hands up. In a way ,the shorter championship might suit them because they have a small squad and would get buried playing 4 games.
    Kinda glad there's no Munster club because there's very little chance of Sixmilebridge beating Na Piarsaigh or Ballygunnar. A 1 in 4 chance...25% max.

Id agree with you. They performed well on the day. To be honest I think Lohan will have his hands full this year in putting a team together. Theres not many backs putting their hands up. In a way ,the shorter championship might suit them because they have a small squad and would get buried playing 4 games.
    Kinda glad there's no Munster club because there's very little chance of Sixmilebridge beating Na Piarsaigh or Ballygunnar. A 1 in 4 chance...25% max.

I can't see Clare doing anything this year to be honest, to do well in Munster we'll have to beat the last 2 All Ireland champions, both of whom are well ahead of us at the moment, a decent run in the qualifiers is the best we can hope for but we're going to need to score goals, our lads just aren't suited for winter hurling.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭bluestone

Anyone know where you could find a match report of the intermediate football final?

bluestone wrote: »
    Anyone know where you could find a match report of the intermediate football final?

Clare Echo Website you should find a match report on the game and all the other games of the weekend.

bluestone wrote: »

Here you go

https://www.clareecho.ie/doora-barefield-return-to-senior-ranks-with-powerful-second-half-display/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,703 ✭✭✭4Ad

There was not one complaint in Kilkishen last night, beaten fair and square..It was a poor game, The Mills didn't get going as The Bridge didn't let them..
    After last year this year was a dream..Oh well we can keep dreaming !!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭opinionated3

Standard of club hurling in Clare has been rubbish for some time now. Bridge will rightly accept all the plaudits but they are lucky not to have to compete in a Munster club. They would be humiliated by a team like na piarsaigh...
    No idea how we get a decent county side out.....

Standard of club hurling in Clare has been rubbish for some time now. Bridge will rightly accept all the plaudits but they are lucky not to have to compete in a Munster club. They would be humiliated by a team like na piarsaigh...
    No idea how we get a decent county side out.....

Clonlara should be doing way better for all the talent that they have, also Inagh Kilnamona and Kilmaley should be doing better especially given their underage success.

DF having a little thinnly veiled dig at some well-known local sports journalists, after they predicted SMB to get beaten in yesterday's county final.

SMB won fair and square, I get it. But for a man of his age, is there really any need for being smug and cocksure about it. Really DF.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭opinionated3

DF having a little vein thinned dig at some well-known local sports journalists, after they predicted SMB to get beaten in yesterday's county final.

SMB won fair and square, I get it. But for a man of his age, is there really any need for being smug and cocksure about it. Really DF.
    Which journalists predicted a mills victory?? That's madness, anyone with half a hurling brain knew the bridge would win yesterday, it was only a matter of the score. I myself predicted a 7-8 point margin. Turns out I was correct but for a journalist to get it so badly wrong, well maybe they should be looking at a different area of writing, certainly not sports!
    As for Davy, no doubt that he is a quality manager who generally gets the job done. The style of hurling is not appealing to watch but if you don't follow the bridge then you don't have to watch it, simple.

Which journalists predicted a mills victory?? That's madness, anyone with half a hurling brain knew the bridge would win yesterday, it was only a matter of the score. I myself predicted a 7-8 point margin. Turns out I was correct but for a journalist to get it so badly wrong, well maybe they should be looking at a different area of writing, certainly not sports!
    As for Davy, no doubt that he is a quality manager who generally gets the job done. The style of hurling is not appealing to watch but if you don't follow the bridge then you don't have to watch it, simple.

He doesn't always get the job done. 19 out of his 20 gameplans involve a sweeper or at least not having a heavy forward department. Thats his perogative. He left the Bridge badly exposed last year at home in O Garney Park.
    There's no one in Sixmilebridge bar Tim Crowe who wants a munster campaign where there is little chance of victory.. He must have been high on the vapours of the win. I for one could see nothing except a double digit loss to Na Piarsaigh or Ballygunnar...Glen Rovers we might do ok though I wouldnt be confident.

In fairness to Davy, and I would be 1 of his biggest detractors, he is some man to come up with a game plan which will beat almost any other team, it's when he comes up against an exceptional team that he runs into trouble and struggles, for example the Bridge are clearly the best team in the county (5 titles in 8 years is hard to argue with) but when up against teams like Na Piarsaigh or Ballygunner they'll struggle. Saying that, with only 2 All Ireland club champions coming from Munster in the past 20 years Munster club hurling isn't all that either

Clare played Cork in a senior hurling challenge match this past weekend in Pairc ui Chaoimh. Cork who were without some of their big name players, due to club commitments, but had the likes of Conor Lehane, Alan Cadogan, Shane Kingston starting for the rebels, ran out 4-30 to 1-24 against a relatively full strength Clare team, minus the Cratloe and SMB players.

Just got this info from the blood and bandage forum.

Clare played Cork in a senior hurling challenge match this past weekend in Pairc ui Chaoimh. Cork who were without some of their big name players, due to club commitments, but had the likes of Conor Lehane, Alan Cadogan, Shane Kingston starting for the rebels, ran out 4-30 to 1-24 against a relatively full strength Clare team, minus the Cratloe and SMB players.

Just got this info from the blood and bandage forum.

I'd imagine all county teams would be around the same strength regarding missing numbers, Clare would might be missing more cause of the Mills, Bridge and Cratloe all still playing matches but a 15 point hammering is a 15 point hammering no matter what.

As I said before, I don't expect much from Clare this year, maybe a run in the qualifiers but in all honestly we're probably 4th at best in Munster and behind KK, Galway and Wexford as well

Looking at the odds, we're 8th favourites behind Waterford but that's probably more to do with our draw in Munster than team rankings, saying that can't argue with that assessment, strange that Limerick are favourites

• Advertisement

Looking at the odds, we're 8th favourites behind Waterford but that's probably more to do with our draw in Munster than team rankings, saying that can't argue with that assessment, strange that Limerick are favourites

Who would you have favourites ahead of Limerick? Tipperary whom they hammered last year...I think they are clear favourites with Tipperary just behind, then Galway Kilkenny Cork ect

Advertisement