Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clare GAA Discussion part 2 , No Purple Jumpers Allowed !!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭New Era

Scariff will be playing Senior A hurling in 2021 after overcoming Tubber 1-14 to 0-15 in a nervy and tense Clare intermediate hurling final.

O Callaghans Mills. What a club! Winners of the Junior A hurling title winning against Kilmaley after extra time. They also joined forces with Bodyke to claim the minor B hurling championship after defeating Tulla. Hon the fireballs!! Regardless of whatever happens for the Mills against the Bridge in the senior hurling final next Sunday, this has been some year for the East Clare club. Amazing stuff!!

Congrats also to the Banner Ladies and Kilmurry Ibrickane who claimed both the senior and intermediate ladies football titles respectively.

Next week is huge though. At stake are the Clare minor a hurling, intermediate football and of course the Canon Hamilton and Jack Daly glory. What a weekend of gaa in the Banner county in store. But for now congrats to all the winners in the respective championships in all codes in this glorious weekend of Irish weather.

Did either one of the Clare minor hurlers or minor footballers play a challenge match over this weekend?

Also can anyone clarify about whether the Clare U20 hurlers had a challenge match also? Anyone with any info on all those 3 teams challenge match schedule between now and the start of their respective championships, will be greatly appreciated by this poster.

Our underage teams are expected to do well this year and a Munster title is not without the realms of possibility come November time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

BloodyBill wrote: »
    Congrats to Kiladangan. An average enough game..some brutal defending.
    Must be the type who's not happy unless they're complaining...

Any opinions on what type of a Hurling final we'll have? I think the 'Mills will turn up and play but I think Sixmilebridge will win. Not because of their gameplan but because they've better hurlers overall. There's a narrative that Davys type of play is not what Clare club hurling needs . Id agree with that but its up to other Clare clubs to show it up as limited . Ballygunnar showed it up but I dont think the Fireballs will.
    To think Davys style is negative is lazy analysis, look how Wexford have evolved with defenders bombing forward and having creative player as sweeper with Foley who's good for a score most games rather than a 7th defender to sit in front of the full back, I actually think limerick are the most defensive team at IC as they essentially play only 3 forwards with their half line acting as 3 extra midfielders.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭BloodyBill

To think Davys style is negative is lazy analysis, look how Wexford have evolved with defenders bombing forward and having creative player as sweeper with Foley who's good for a score most games rather than a 7th defender to sit in front of the full back, I actually think limerick are the most defensive team at IC as they essentially play only 3 forwards with their half line acting as 3 extra midfielders.

Yeah id disagree with most of what you said there. Davys style is limited and even at its best with all the overlapping (overlapping wingbacks is pointless in hurling) and successful score getting from distance, Wexford still couldn't beat Tipperary with an extra man. They wont win an All Ireland with that style. Limerick would beat them by 10
    The Sixmilebridge situation is different because their aim this year is just a county. As far as I'm concerned Ballygunnar and Na Piarsaigh would beat them by 10+. They can't score goals similar to Wexford. But against the 'Mills they wont need to and probably will break their goal duck because the Fireballs will be chasing the game if it goes how i think it will.

• Advertisement

Must be the type who's not happy unless they're complaining...

On the contrary Billy. Id always focus on the positives after analysing the negatives. That Tipperary final was exciting and congratulations to Kiladangan. It was not a great hurling match.The wides,poor decision making and mistakes took from it but didn't take from the victory for Kiladangan.
    The last goal was well taken but he ought to have never be let free at that point. Break the ball...prevent the pass ect...very poor from Loughmore. There were many incidents in the game that showed all that was good in Tipperary hurling...the shots and interplay. But the Munster final last year in which Tipperary were over run showed that the Tipperary flair game can be stopped and Clare need to cut into Tipperary this year if we get over Limerick which i doubt we will.

Yeah id disagree with most of what you said there. Davys style is limited and even at its best with all the overlapping (overlapping wingbacks is pointless in hurling) and successful score getting from distance, Wexford still couldn't beat Tipperary with an extra man. They wont win an All Ireland with that style. Limerick would beat them by 10
    The Sixmilebridge situation is different because their aim this year is just a county. As far as I'm concerned Ballygunnar and Na Piarsaigh would beat them by 10+. They can't score goals similar to Wexford. But against the 'Mills they wont need to and probably will break their goal duck because the Fireballs will be chasing the game if it goes how i think it will.
    wexford got 3 goals against Tipp last year could easily have got 2 or 3 more.how are overlapping wingbacks and corner backs pointless, they creating more and more options. Limerick on their day can beat anyone by 10 but if they sleepwalk into a game like the kilkenny semi final last year can be vulnerable. The main reason the bridge wouldn't beat NAP or Ballygunner is those teams have better players.

wexford got 3 goals against Tipp last year could easily have got 2 or 3 more.how are overlapping wingbacks and corner backs pointless, they creating more and more options. Limerick on their day can beat anyone by 10 but if they sleepwalk into a game like the kilkenny semi final last year can be vulnerable. The main reason the bridge wouldn't beat NAP or Ballygunner is those teams have better players.

Yeah thats true. The likes of Ballygunnar and Na Piarsaigh have better players than Sixmilebridge. That doesn't show Clare club hurling in a great light, unfortunately. The likes of Eire Og and Wolfe Tones should be our Na Piarsaighs and Ballygunnar...but alas both clubs haven't that high level of performance and professionalism. Both a long way off. Even the Bridge who are well run arent bringing many county standard players through at the moment. I was speaking to a club mentor who said the under 16 to under 21s have been bang average in the club for a while..no stand out talent.
    We can debate the merits of having an overlapping corner back but we'd both probably still disagree in the end . I think Wexford dont have the calibre of player from 1 to 15 of the limericks and Tipperarys of this world have but we ll see. This winter might suit them in that the championship is condensed but I dont see them beating Galway even though Galway are as flakey as ever.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,951 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

1 of Davy's tactics is to sacrifice the full forward line by bringing the players back the field to overload the opposition in other spots, sometimes that's as a sweeper, or an extra midfielder but it does mean that goals can be hard to come by but they can be gotten when the team is flooding forward and has an overlap. In my opinion his tactics will get to a certain level but when you are going up against a physically big and skillful team it breaks down quickly.

I think the Mills have the ability to beat the Bridge but I think the bookies have it right with the Bridge at 4/9 and the Mills at 2/1

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,951 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I'm actually really looking forward to the football match on Saturday evening, it should be a great game, hard to call it.

• Advertisement

Probably do some preview of the big finals weekend. In particular I hope to do the football final preview on Wednesday night and the hurling final on this Thursday. I might do the rest of this weekend's finals previews on Friday afternoon, all being well.

Next week though is where I'm most excited as I preview the chances, plus likely teams for the Clare minor, U20 and senior hurlers and the Clare senior and minor footballers. I have great hopes that we will see at least three of those teams in Munster final action, come November time. Fingers crossed!!

All in all an exciting few months ahead and here's hoping, that we will begin to win the battle over covid too, which trumps any gaa or sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭KIB4Life

Clareman wrote: »
    I'm actually really looking forward to the football match on Saturday evening, it should be a great game, hard to call it.

I think this has been one of the best football club Championships in Clare in a long number of years a lot of very good games and a lot of competitive games reducing the championship to 12 teams definitely has been a success.

It’s two teams that are well used to playing each other and even though they are not close together in terms of geography there is a rivalry between these two teams, as there has been 11 championship meetings between these two teams since 2010 which was the year after Cratloe came up from intermediate.

Kilmurry have won 7 of these encounters, Cratloe 2 and there have been 2 draws. Kilmurry have won by a point on 3 occasions. So there hasn’t been much between these two teams, I’m not sure it might be as free scoring as the two semis as finals can naturally be more nervous and tight affairs but these two teams are well used to the big day.

It will probably be a weird day in both the football and hurling finals, with so little people allowed in but at least there will be some people in so there will be at least some sort of atmosphere.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭Gael85

KIB4Life wrote: »
    I think this has been one of the best football club Championships in Clare in a long number of years a lot of very good games and a lot of competitive games reducing the championship to 12 teams definitely has been a success.

It’s two teams that are well used to playing each other and even though they are not close together in terms of geography there is a rivalry between these two teams, as there has been 11 championship meetings between these two teams since 2010 which was the year after Cratloe came up from intermediate.

Kilmurry have won 7 of these encounters, Cratloe 2 and there have been 2 draws. Kilmurry have won by a point on 3 occasions. So there hasn’t been much between these two teams, I’m not sure it might be as free scoring as the two semis as finals can naturally be more nervous and tight affairs but these two teams are well used to the big day.

It will probably be a weird day in both the football and hurling finals, with so little people allowed in but at least there will be some people in so there will be at least some sort of atmosphere.

How many senior championship medals has Michael O'Dwyer got?

Gael85 wrote: »
    How many senior championship medals has Michael O'Dwyer got?

8, Enda Coughlan, Evan Talty who are still on the panel also have 8. While Peter O’Dwyer and Declan Callinan also has 8 but both have retired with a few years. Johnny Daly won 8 but one of them was with UL he won 7 with the Club. The trio of Michael O’Dwyer, Enda Coughlan and Evan Talty are going for their 9 county medals this weekend which would be some achievement.

We went 27 years without a championship between 1966 and 1993. But the 27 years since 93 had been the best period in the clubs history and their has been a golden generation for the club, but we have added some top quality younger players into the team in the last 2 years, so hopefully we can continue to be competitive.

It also has been Cratloe best period in the clubs history since 2009 and even though people have been constantly saying that they can’t be competitive at both they continue to prove the doubters wrong and this will be their 11th county including replays between both codes. Add to the fact that they reached a Munster Final in both codes.

So here we are then. County final weekend is upon us but with a difference. Hurling is on Sunday, but the race for Jack Daly honours and to be crowned as 2020 Clare senior football champions, will be confirmed as old rivals Cratloe and Kilmurry Ibrickane go head to head, in what looks like as tough to call, as the winning numbers in tonight's lotto.

So what can we expect in this Saturday's thriller of a contest. Well both teams like to play a running game with men running off the shoulder and creating overlaps that defenses cannot handle. The West Clare men tend to kick more as they have great target men in either Daryn Callinan and in particular the veteran but magnificent warrior that is Noel Downes. While it was interesting that Diarmuid King was named in the full forward position, but perhaps is better served in the half back role where he will be capably marshalled by at least Daniel Walsh who continues to receive rave reviews for his continued performances in club and also for the Clare U20's this year, who were desperately unlucky not to reach the Munster decider earlier this year.

I continue to be impressed by Aidan McCarthy, who is part of the Clare senior and U-20 hurling panels this year. He has some engine and could play a vital role when legs start to tire in what is sure to be an attritional game. Ciaran Morrissey and Darren Sexton are very impressive footballers they're one of those typical tenacious defenders, that you associate from the Quilty men. While of course two of Clare's top inter-county panelists in Keelan Sexton and Dermot Coughlan, who is making a welcome return to form for the "super bricks" and scored 0-3 from play are sure to create havoc for their opponents.

I have always been impressed by their defense and I think their ability to win turnovers and their honesty and workrate has been the foundations to their recent success. So expect the Hickeys and of course another incredible warrior Michael Hogan to do as much on stopping Cratloe with their running game, as they will do themselves offensively.

For Cratloe I think that if they want to reclaim Jack Daly by this Saturday evening, I anticipate that Diarmuid Ryan and Shane Glesson in midfield to play a massive role. Its that area in the pitch and their inability to win primary possession in tight matches in recent years, is one of the main reasons why the South East Clare men, haven't claimed a county football championship since 2015. I also think that they rely way too much on their running game and I feel that many teams have copped on to their style, in other words where's plan B, if A isn't working.

The form of Cathal McInerney and Podge Collins in their hard fought semi-final win over St Breckans, will have pleased manager Colm Collins the most. They combined 2-12 between them and were instrumental in their recent wins over defending champions St Josephs Miltown and the Lisdoonvarna men. Conor McGrath also played a key role and I think that he will be better off playing a more central role, perhaps in the centre half forward position where his ability to glide through defenses will cause panic stations for what will be a most robust KIB defense.

Conal O'Hanlon and Billy Sheehan, have yet to show what they are capable of, as we have seen from them in their county colours. No better time for them to shine this Saturday evening I suppose. While in defense the likes of Michael Brennan along with the usual mix of Liam Markham, Martin Oige Murphy and Clare senior football panelist Sean Collins will have vital roles in timing their counter attacking runs, while striking a balance with the defensive side also.

For me, Kilmurry Ibrickane go into as favorites on the basis of their more all rounded game, finding that right mix of youth and experience and above all else, that ability to win turnovers against the opposition, while bringing that pace and energy to their attacking game, good kick passing and that very hard to stop running game with plenty of support runners, making it hard for their opponents to stop.

While I won't say never with Cratloe, I think that if they continue on insisting to playing such a running game against the West Clare men, they will be easily gobbled up by a determined KIB rearguard. They need to have more confidence in their kicking game and obviously for that to happen they have to get their forwards in ahead of their defenders and be eager and honest in accomplishing that task.

So while I expect it to be a much cagier affair and scores much harder to come by, compared to the two semi finals, that were of very high quality, I expect that by the time referee Niall Quinn blows the full time whistle, that it will Kilmurry Ibrickane to keep their fantastic winning run over their south east Clare rivals to be intact.

On a separate note best of luck to KIB4Life this Saturday. I'm sure this poster, like many are really looking forward to a great weekend of sport in the Banner County.

New Era wrote: »
    So here we are then. County final weekend is upon us but with a difference. Hurling is on Sunday, but the race for Jack Daly honours and to be crowned as 2020 Clare senior football champions, will be confirmed as old rivals Cratloe and Kilmurry Ibrickane go head to head, in what looks like as tough to call, as the winning numbers in tonight's lotto.

So what can we expect in this Saturday's thriller of a contest. Well both teams like to play a running game with men running off the shoulder and creating overlaps that defenses cannot handle. The West Clare men tend to kick more as they have great target men in either Daryn Callinan and in particular the veteran but magnificent warrior that is Noel Downes. While it was interesting that Diarmuid King was named in the full forward position, but perhaps is better served in the half back role where he will be capably marshalled by at least Daniel Walsh who continues to receive rave reviews for his continued performances in club and also for the Clare U20's this year, who were desperately unlucky not to reach the Munster decider earlier this year.

I continue to be impressed by Aidan McCarthy, who is part of the Clare senior and U-20 hurling panels this year. He has some engine and could play a vital role when legs start to tire in what is sure to be an attritional game. Ciaran Morrissey and Darren Sexton are very impressive footballers they're one of those typical tenacious defenders, that you associate from the Quilty men. While of course two of Clare's top inter-county panelists in Keelan Sexton and Dermot Coughlan, who is making a welcome return to form for the "super bricks" and scored 0-3 from play are sure to create havoc for their opponents.

I have always been impressed by their defense and I think their ability to win turnovers and their honesty and workrate has been the foundations to their recent success. So expect the Hickeys and of course another incredible warrior Michael Hogan to do as much on stopping Cratloe with their running game, as they will do themselves offensively.

For Cratloe I think that if they want to reclaim Jack Daly by this Saturday evening, I anticipate that Diarmuid Ryan and Shane Glesson in midfield to play a massive role. Its that area in the pitch and their inability to win primary possession in tight matches in recent years, is one of the main reasons why the South East Clare men, haven't claimed a county football championship since 2015. I also think that they rely way too much on their running game and I feel that many teams have copped on to their style, in other words where's plan B, if A isn't working.

The form of Cathal McInerney and Podge Collins in their hard fought semi-final win over St Breckans, will have pleased manager Colm Collins the most. They combined 2-12 between them and were instrumental in their recent wins over defending champions St Josephs Miltown and the Lisdoonvarna men. Conor McGrath also played a key role and I think that he will be better off playing a more central role, perhaps in the centre half forward position where his ability to glide through defenses will cause panic stations for what will be a most robust KIB defense.

Conal O'Hanlon and Billy Sheehan, have yet to show what they are capable of, as we have seen from them in their county colours. No better time for them to shine this Saturday evening I suppose. While in defense the likes of Michael Brennan along with the usual mix of Liam Markham, Martin Oige Murphy and Clare senior football panelist Sean Collins will have vital roles in timing their counter attacking runs, while striking a balance with the defensive side also.

For me, Kilmurry Ibrickane go into as favorites on the basis of their more all rounded game, finding that right mix of youth and experience and above all else, that ability to win turnovers against the opposition, while bringing that pace and energy to their attacking game, good kick passing and that very hard to stop running game with plenty of support runners, making it hard for their opponents to stop.

While I won't say never with Cratloe, I think that if they continue on insisting to playing such a running game against the West Clare men, they will be easily gobbled up by a determined KIB rearguard. They need to have more confidence in their kicking game and obviously for that to happen they have to get their forwards in ahead of their defenders and be eager and honest in accomplishing that task.

So while I expect it to be a much cagier affair and scores much harder to come by, compared to the two semi finals, that were of very high quality, I expect that by the time referee Niall Quinn blows the full time whistle, that it will Kilmurry Ibrickane to keep their fantastic winning run over their south east Clare rivals to be intact.

On a separate note best of luck to KIB4Life this Saturday. I'm sure this poster, like many are really looking forward to a great weekend of sport in the Banner County.

Hopefully like you said a great weekend of action in store. Great preview by the way looking forward to reading more of your previews this week and the coming weeks.

Also I think something you didn’t mention that could be key in Saturday’s game is the return of Marty McMahon from suspension, he is such a clever player and a very good reader of the game and plays the sweeper role brilliantly. In his absence against Lissycasey, Lissycasey found plenty of space down the centre of the Kilmurry defence and scored 3 goals and created two further goal chances, so hopefully from our point of view he can shore up the defence.

Hopefully like you said a great weekend of action in store. Great preview by the way looking forward to reading more of your previews this week and the coming weeks.

Also I think something you didn’t mention that could be key in Saturday’s game is the return of Marty McMahon from suspension, he is such a clever player and a very good reader of the game and plays the sweeper role brilliantly. In his absence against Lissycasey, Lissycasey found plenty of space down the centre of the Kilmurry defence and scored 3 goals and created two further goal chances, so hopefully from our point of view he can shore up the defence.

Thanks for those kind words and of course best of luck this weekend to your good self.

You are absolutely on the money re Marty McMahon. He has such an incredible engine and as you correctly pointed out, there is no better man to do a such a sweeper role like Marty. Absolutely completely forgot about him in my preview. Mea culpa in my part for sure.

The return of Marty further strengthens the strong case for KIB to come out on top come Saturday evening.

8, Enda Coughlan, Evan Talty who are still on the panel also have 8. While Peter O’Dwyer and Declan Callinan also has 8 but both have retired with a few years. Johnny Daly won 8 but one of them was with UL he won 7 with the Club. The trio of Michael O’Dwyer, Enda Coughlan and Evan Talty are going for their 9 county medals this weekend which would be some achievement.

We went 27 years without a championship between 1966 and 1993. But the 27 years since 93 had been the best period in the clubs history and their has been a golden generation for the club, but we have added some top quality younger players into the team in the last 2 years, so hopefully we can continue to be competitive.

It also has been Cratloe best period in the clubs history since 2009 and even though people have been constantly saying that they can’t be competitive at both they continue to prove the doubters wrong and this will be their 11th county including replays between both codes. Add to the fact that they reached a Munster Final in both codes.

Kilmurry are a great club and seem to nurture talent through very well.
    Cratloe too. I always thought Cratloe would be competitive in both sports . I think most people wouldn't doubt that. The issue comes at the semi final and Final stages where they get stretched to breaking point. Put it this way. If they focused on 1 sport then they'd have won alot more . They have a huge cross over in players playing both. Id qualify all that by saying Cratloe always focused on both and thats their perogative and they ll remain competitive in both.

Kilmurry are a great club and seem to nurture talent through very well.
    Cratloe too. I always thought Cratloe would be competitive in both sports . I think most people wouldn't doubt that. The issue comes at the semi final and Final stages where they get stretched to breaking point. Put it this way. If they focused on 1 sport then they'd have won alot more . They have a huge cross over in players playing both. Id qualify all that by saying Cratloe always focused on both and thats their perogative and they ll remain competitive in both.

I think one of Cratloe’s biggest issue is strength and depth. There starting 15 in both hurling and football is one of the best in the county, but there is a drop in quality in terms of the subs that they bring on, which is very important now in the modern game. You need a 20 man that make an impact whenever they are called upon, like what the Dublin footballers had without their panel would they have won the 5 in a row.

If Cratloe had a stronger panel, I think they might have potentially won more, 4 county titles isn’t bad going either, but for Kilmurry they probably would have won a few extra football titles. Interesting enough both years they won the hurling championship they done a football double with it, in 2009 they won the intermediate football with the senior hurling and in 2014 they done the senior double.

• Advertisement

So O Callaghans Mills are just 60 minutes away from claiming an unique senior, junior and minor treble in this calendar year. I have enormous admiration for the East Clare club. They just continue to get the absolute maximum out of their resources which is what any gaa club, can hope to deliver.

In the way of the fireballs, are Sixmilebridge who are trying to achieve back to back canon hamilton's which is what this current crop of hurlers haven't achieved. However they have shown only glimpses of the form that they are well capable enough, but are hamstrong by a coach who insists on playing a very negative brand of hurling which is all about trying to contain the opposition, rather than playing a traditional 15 v 15 game, which is what SMB play at their very best.

For SMB, expect Caimin and Seadna Morey to play a key role to try and eradicate the threat from the Mills, while making those maurading runs and creating havoc with players coming off the shoulder. Clare senior panelist Paidi Fitzpatrick is another tough tenacious defender, and quite rightly got Brian Lohan's attention and played a key role in Clare's good start to 2020, before covid kicked off.

In attack Jamie Shanahan is just not quite up to match speed yet, after all his troubles with various injuries, but his 0-2 last time against Eire Og Inis might be a sign that Shanahan is just starting to show signs of a welcome return to form. Cathal Malone and Shane Golden are both steady and reliable performers and expect both Clare senior hurling panelists to do the "unseen work" away from the cameras in making runs and working his socks off for the South East Clare men. While Alex Morey is beginning to get the tag of "Best freetaker in Clare" for his outstanding freetaking ability.

I just wish that DF just throws the shackles off and allow SMB to express themselves. They are not the team of 2019, and IMO I think they are playing a far more rigid and negative brand of hurling in championship 2020 than 12 months ago, where they were playing a quite decent brand of hurling and were scoring goals too. No green flags raised in 4 championship matches in 2020, tells its own story.

For the Mills, Killian Nugent has been razor sharp with his puckouts and has been key to their great success. Aidan O'Gorman and Conor Cooney have been part of a defense that have done really well and with the help of their forwards, their immense workrate has been a most impressive facet to getting to a county final.

Of course Pat Donnellan. The man is just a legend and that key point at the final stages of their semi-final victory over Ballyea, was typical of the warrior status he is. The 2013 Clare all-ireland winning captain just is steady as they come, and must be a dream for the younger Mills lads to look up to.

In attack I continue to be impressed by Jacob Loughnane's free taking and the the brilliant handballer Colin Crehan who has just been immense and no shortage of skill from Crehan either. Gary Cooney has massive pace to burn and huge skill and I expect the Clare senior hurling panelist, to lead the line and play a key role in trying to unlock a strong SMB rearguard. Conor Henry brought real determination to the Mills attack. His performance in the win over Ballyea was highly credited and more of the same will suffice come this Sunday for sure.

Donach O'Donnell came with a high reputation, and he was a key player in the recent success of the Limerick minors along with his solid track record in the club game. He is a very good man manager. His big plus is his way of offering a quiet word to a player, who may have some weakness in his game and he has a very calm reassurance to them that "you might not be the finished article but with good coaching I can eradicate those weaknesses". The players are clearly buying into his methods for sure.

SMB go into Sunday's decider as favorites, but do you know what, I going to go against the narrative, that "the bridge will be just too strong". To me the Mills have been the form team and have played considerably better then their more "established" opponents. So I going with the fireballs to complete the cindarella story and claim the canon hamilton success which if they do, the current Clare county board chairman and soon to depart his post after completing the 5 year term, Joe Cooney, OCM native, will no doubt be in cloud nine when he hands the trophy to the winning Mills captain in the main Cusack park stand.

On a separate note, I feel that the standard of matches in this year's Clare senior hurling championship has been particularly poor this year, and that would be a concern if we want our county players to get battle hardened and get the best preparation ahead of championship 2020 or whenever we will see inter county action again. I also believe that the refereeing standard hasn't been up to scratch either.

Thanks for that preview of Sundays game. I think it gives ample food for thought and all the answers will be there ,plain to see at the final whistle next Sunday. The best team always wins says Cody. There can be no excuses for either team. (Although that hasn't been seen so far this Championship with Refs,Davy, Pat Fitz, negative tactics et al being wheeled out more than once this year)
    The Mills have been the story of the Championship and they've a rich history pre WW2 in the guise of Kilkishen and the fabled and fantastic sounding 'Fireballs' club. They should have kept the name . It would certainly beat the long boring list of 'Saints' and nationalist heros that clubs tend to go for. Who would begrudge Pat Donellnan a county medal. We only realised his true value to Clare when he retired. His temperament is and always was top notch.
    Sixmilebridge are there on merit too. Two years in a row in the final is a good record. Theyve been squeezing the most out of that squad for the last 5 years. They struggle for goals but they are a fantastic side for getting scores at the right time. They've got a 'nous' that's inbuilt and they are technically sound from 1 to 15. That's the thing about the Bridge..you don't play if you have a dodgy lift or strike or are greedy (Ballyea take note,too many passengers). Incidently the Bridge started out winning in 77 against the Mills with Mikey White's point to clench victory in a stinker of a match.
    If it all goes to plan then the Canon Hamilton will be going over the little bridge from O Brienstown to Iverstown and landing in Hanover square on Sunday evening. As the night draws down we ll be planning the 3 in a row....something that has eluded us since 77.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,863 ✭✭✭Pogue eile

Congrats to Kiladangan. An average enough game..some brutal defending.

Seriously what game were you watching? John Meagher, James Quigley, Alan Flynn and Decky McGrath were all outstanding in defense. The pace of the game was unreal and some of the scores from Paul Flynn and Noel McGrath in particular were outstanding. An average enough game....I honestly dont think I have read anything as absurd which is saying something on here!!

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭fire_man

Cratloe over the years have relied on players from other counties or isolated players .Without these players they would have struggled as panel tight.
    I expect a big performance from them on Sunday but might come up just short.

Pogue eile wrote: »
    Seriously what game were you watching? John Meagher, James Quigley, Alan Flynn and Decky McGrath were all outstanding in defense. The pace of the game was unreal and some of the scores from Paul Flynn and Noel McGrath in particular were outstanding. An average enough game....I honestly dont think I have read anything as absurd which is saying something on here!!

An exciting game is what it was with some passages of excellent hurling but overall it was not a great game. Id agree with your point about there being some great scores. There were. However some of the wides in the first 15 minutes especially were terrible. The free taking was suspect from both Seymour and McGrath at crucial times. And the final goal..well taken but seriously do you think a Na Piarsaigh, Ballygunnar, Ballyhale would let a guy catch the ball uncontested pass it to an unmarked man and not lay a hand on him. That has to take away from a serious analysis of the game. Great excitement, not a great game.

So to conclude my previews of this weekend's exciting gaa programme in the Banner county, we start with the Clare intermediate football final between Corofin and St Josephs Doora Barefield. To be honest I find this a very hard game to call. Corofin may not have the Cahill brothers, Gearoid and younger brother Diarmuid, the former due to injury and the latter due to minor hurling final commitments for Corofin-Ruan, 24 hours earlier on Saturday.

If that scenario plays out then a lot will rest on the shoulders of Clare inter-county star Jamie Malone and former Clare minor Kevin Keane to led the line of attack, for the North Clare men. The parish have some really good footballers with the Hannon brothers, Eoghan Thynne and Cian McDonagh who is a very talented footballer and athlete, and is also noted as a top notch runner. Tbh I haven't seen enough of both of them to make out what style of football and make a more detailed preview for this match.

However my prediction would be based on whether the Cahill brothers can play some part, by the time the final whistle is blown by 1:20 on Sunday. If they can I might just tip the scales in favor of the Corofin men, but if the parish come out I will be not surprised one bit.

The minor A hurling final between Corofin-Ruan and Feakle-Killanena is set to take place in Sixmilebridge on Sunday with throw-in at 1 pm. Tbh I have completely given up on the rationale behind any decisions that our "esteemed" county board make on every matter of Clare GAA. Wtf is this game not in Ennis is just beyond me. But hey its those administrators making such baffling calls yet again.

The game itself will boil down to Diarmuid Cahill and Shane Punch in attack for the North Clare combo and whether the can gain a foothold in attack. I expect both men to start for the Clare U20 hurlers next month in the Munster championship and are majestic with their scoring and their unbelievable levels of skill. Cillian McGroary and Marc O'Loughlin are really solid in defense and will start for both the Clare minor hurlers and footballers next month in the Munster championship.

For the East Clare combo, a lot will depend the performances of the three likely starters for the Clare minors next month against Cork in the Munster championship, Adam Hogan in full-back, Oisin Clune in midfield and Keith Smyth in the forwards Three outstanding young hurlers and both have high levels of ability and no shortage of grit and determination in making their blocks, hooks and tackles, for sure.

However I think that Corofin-Ruan are one of the best minor club hurling teams, that we have seen for some time in the county. They have some savage hurlers and they play an incredibly swash-buckling style of quality hurling, scoring at will and solid at the back. Feakle-Killanena are a very hard working team and the first 15 minutes of the minor a final will be important, so not to give those quick and lively C-R forwards the time and space to create opportunities and overlaps.

Two very good teams in the final but on the basis of their outstanding performances at this grade in the last 2 years, I going for Corofin-Ruan to take back to back Clare minor a hurling championships. I'm sure Clare minor and U20 hurling bosses, Brian Coffey and Sean Doyle respectively, will be keen spectators in O'Garney park come this Saturday.

So as the old saying goes, let the games begin and the battles commence. Best of luck to posters 4Ad and bloodybill who will be shouting for their respective Mills and the Bridge teams come 3 pm in the park on Sunday. Best to luck to all teams competing this weekend indeed.

Next week I will preview all the five Clare inter-county teams competing in their respective Munster Championship campaigns, next month. Hopefully we will see some inter-county action this winter, but everything is all up in the air. Nothing can be guaranteed, but all I hope is for each and every one of all boards posters, mods and administrators to stay safe and well in these most challenging of times. The health of everyone far trumps any GAA or sport for sure.

Just a quick question that someone here might be able to help me out with, I got a ticket for the final tomorrow, but it’s says that I have to enter via the Garda station side. I have never entered the ground this side, and have never took much notice to where exactly this entrance is whenever I have been passing around there in Ennis.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭Figerty

Just a quick question that someone here might be able to help me out with, I got a ticket for the final tomorrow, but it’s says that I have to enter via the Garda station side. I have never entered the ground this side, and have never took much notice to where exactly this entrance is whenever I have been passing around there in Ennis.

Abbey Street bridge,,garda station entrance is near.

Figerty wrote: »
    Abbey Street bridge,,garda station entrance is near.

Oh I know where the Garda Station is so sorry for sounding a bit stupid but would I have to go through the grounds of the Garda station to enter the ground.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,703 ✭✭✭4Ad

Gate is between The Cloister and the garda station...
    Enjoy..

Advertisement