Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clare GAA Discussion part 2 , No Purple Jumpers Allowed !!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Clareman wrote: »
    It's a fairly open draw between winners and losers, I'd say any of the losers would fancy their chances against Feakle or Wolfe Tonnes

Mills probably too. Eire og beat them a couple of years ago and they were awful I thought.

Tones have a quality forward line too and racked up a big score versus clarecastle.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Sterling Archer

I'd suggest anyone who's having issue watching /rewatching games open a dispute with PayPal - if you payed via it, should get there attention

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭dennispenn

Boots234 wrote: »
    So if a winner from over the weekend e.g. Ballyea play and lose to a round 1 loser e.g Kilmaley they are out? What is the thought process behind that?

is this the same format for the football?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭BnB

caddy16 wrote: »
    Newmarket, Clooney, Eire Og, or Kilmaley are more than capable of taking out a few of the winners as well. All depends on the draw of course.

I'd certainly add Crusheen to that list.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Most of the losers will be hoping to get Tones, Mills or Feakle as well, there could be a few great match ups in fairness, I assume that there can't be a repeat match

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭caddy16

Most of the losers will be hoping to get Tones, Mills or Feakle as well, there could be a few great match ups in fairness, I assume that there can't be a repeat match
    Never assume where Clare GAA are involved Clareman! But one would think so.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭KIB4Life

dennispenn wrote: »
    is this the same format for the football?

No it’s a different format for the Football but it’s probably more perciular.

There are 6 1st Round games this weekend, with the 6 winners from this weekend going through to a winners round and the 6 losers going through to a losers round.

In the Winners Round in Round 2 the winners here advance to the semi finals and the losers are out of the championship even though they won their first round game.

In the Losers Round in Round 2 the winners here will advance to a three way playoff which will take place over the one weekend and the losers are out of the championship.

The Three Way playoff will take place over the one weekend with one team getting a bye to the playoff final and the other two teams meeting in the playoff semi final the team that wins the playoff semi final will meet the team that got a bye to decide will take the final spot in the semi finals.

All very complicated and make zero logic but Clare GAA wouldn’t have it any other way then making it very complicated.

Group Stages in Hurling and Football would have made the most sense and would have been the fairest possible solution as 1st Round Games in both codes basically being glorified challenge matches.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,863 ✭✭✭Pogue eile

KIB4Life wrote: »

Group Stages in Hurling and Football would have made the most sense and would have been the fairest possible solution as 1st Round Games in both codes basically being glorified challenge matches.

Been reading the last few posts and for the life of me couldn't figure out why the resistance to groups?

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭Marty Xavier

Yes I think with the hurling 4 groups of 3 with the winner from each group proceeding to the semi finals, so everyone guaranteed 2 games with points scored and head to heads taken onto account. You could have seeded the groups with last years 4 semi finalists kept apart.

It's amazing how with a bit of thought you could come up with a better solution to the current model.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I think the problem with the groups was that scoring differences or averages couldn't be used in the event of a tie and there was going to be 6 weekends needed to play it off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭caddy16

BnB wrote: »
    I'd certainly add Crusheen to that list.
    Definitely, op mentioned them though.

Senior hurling Round 2 Draw

Inagh/Kilnamona v Newmarket on Fergus
    Ballyea v Clooney/Quin
    Sixmilebridge v Whitegate
    Cratloe v Eire Og Inis
    Wolfe Tones v Kilmaley
    Feakle v Clarecastle
    Clonlara v Broadford
    O'Callaghan's Mills v Crusheen

• Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Eire og really are cursed with the hurling draws!!

Bridge and now Cratloe with two most influential players missing both games. Being out early may help the footballers though.

No real standout ties in next round.

Feakle vs Clarecastle jumps out for me, there'll be no quarters given by either team.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,863 ✭✭✭Pogue eile

I think the problem with the groups was that scoring differences or averages couldn't be used in the event of a tie and there was going to be 6 weekends needed to play it off.

Hurling has 16 teams from what I can see, 4 groups of 4, QF SF and F that's only 6 rounds?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,768 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

Bridge and now Cratloe with two most influential players missing both games. Being out early may help the footballers though.

You would still have to give them a chance, Cratloe are not as strong at the back as the bridge but yeah probably the worst tie they could have asked for

• Registered Users Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Sterling Archer

I got refunded today for games I purchased over the weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭BloodyBill

Poor auld Eire Og. Only a pick of about 25,000 and going into a match as underdogs against another dual club who don't even have a street or a shop. Eire Og are a disaster. Time to reassess GAA in Ennis. There should be 3 senior clubs who could build a rivalry in the town... look at Greater Ennis at the moment...Eire Og Senior B standard. Doora who are intermediate and Clarecastle who are an under 21team. Thats some state of affairs. They don't play rugby to a high standard.. a few ok soccer teams ...of course no League of Ireland...Is Ennis anti sport or what ?

BloodyBill wrote: »
    Poor auld Eire Og. Only a pick of about 25,000 and going into a match as underdogs against another dual club who don't even have a street or a shop. Eire Og are a disaster. Time to reassess GAA in Ennis. There should be 3 senior clubs who could build a rivalry in the town... look at Greater Ennis at the moment...Eire Og Senior B standard. Doora who are intermediate and Clarecastle who are an under 21team. Thats some state of affairs. They don't play rugby to a high standard.. a few ok soccer teams ...of course no League of Ireland...Is Ennis anti sport or what ?

Eire Óg were extremely competitive up until the 90s then everyone caught up to them and then in turn left them miles behind. Combinations of internal politics, bad management and favouritism has left them where they are. They are doing great work at underage levels and seem to have gotten an arrangement in place with Flannan's about using their facilities so I'd say in years to come they'll be in a good place.

Is Ennis anti sport or what ?

Ennis has had a weird relationship with sports down through the years, in rugby and soccer once you were any good you went into play in Limerick, couple that with the lack of a college you've a massive challenge to retain players in their early 20s.

A historic problem, which you aren't allowed say in a lot of circles, is that Flannan's dominated everything a long time and the majority of Flannan's teams came from players outside of Ennis.

In my opinion there should be 2 strong teams in Ennis, 1 close to the CBS and 1 close to Flannan's but that never happened, The Banner is getting stronger but they always seem to be fighting a losing battle.

• Advertisement

Doora who are intermediate

Barefield had an exceptional team in the late 90s, getting to back to back All Ireland finals is some achievement, but they don't really have a great "history" of strong teams, in fact I think they were an intermediate club up until that team of the 90s came about, I think they won the intermediate in 93 with a few of the Clare footballers from 92 on the team.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Feenie

Senior hurling Round 2 Draw

Inagh/Kilnamona v Newmarket on Fergus
    Ballyea v Clooney/Quin
    Sixmilebridge v Whitegate
    Cratloe v Eire Og Inis
    Wolfe Tones v Kilmaley
    Feakle v Clarecastle
    Clonlara v Broadford
    O'Callaghan's Mills v Crusheen
    My personal predictions
    Ballyea>Clooney
    Sixmilebridge>Whitegate
    Cratloe>Éire Óg
    Wolfe tones>Kilmaley
    Feakle>Clare Castle
    Clonlara>Broadford
    Crusheen>O'Callaghans Mills

Feenie wrote: »
    My personal predictions
    Ballyea>Clooney
    Sixmilebridge>Whitegate
    Cratloe>Éire Óg
    Wolfe tones>Kilmaley
    Feakle>Clare Castle
    Clonlara>Broadford
    Crusheen>O'Callaghans Mills

I'd agree with all of those except I think Kilmaley will beat Wolfe Tones.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭jackboy

Eire Óg were extremely competitive up until the 90s then everyone caught up to them and then in turn left them miles behind. Combinations of internal politics, bad management and favouritism has left them where they are. They are doing great work at underage levels and seem to have gotten an arrangement in place with Flannan's about using their facilities so I'd say in years to come they'll be in a good place.

I don’t know. Once they get to college/working age they need to be given a reason to commit to the club. Fairness is often enough. So many GAA players will commit even with little chance of ever winning anything. Are those with power over the senior teams capable of fairness? In the past they weren’t.

jackboy wrote: »
    I don’t know. Once they get to college/working age they need to be given a reason to commit to the club. Fairness is often enough. So many GAA players will commit even with little chance of ever winning anything. Are those with power over the senior teams capable of fairness? In the past they weren’t.

The drop off from underage to adult is a HUGE problem for all clubs and sports, the IRFU did a big thing on it a few years back.

In my opinion the running of the GAA in Ennis is a disgrace, the population of Clare is 118k, Ennis has 25k of that, that's a fifth of the population but they only have 1 player on the hurling team and 2 on the football team. They've had the problems in the past and the rumours of some of the goings on there would put Fair City to shame but they do seem to be doing something right with their under age setup.

Saying that, I drove past there earlier, they've a new stand built which is blocking anyone watching a match from the car park, the place looks like a prison now with all the barriers, concrete and fences around the place, as a friend commented to me, it must takes them hours to lock up at night with all the locks they have :D

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Davys Fits

In my opinion the running of the GAA in Ennis is a disgrace, the population of Clare is 118k, Ennis has 25k of that, that's a fifth of the population but they only have 1 player on the hurling team and 2 on the football team. They've had the problems in the past and the rumours of some of the goings on there would put Fair City to shame but they do seem to be doing something right with their under age setup.

Saying that, I drove past there earlier, they've a new stand built which is blocking anyone watching a match from the car park, the place looks like a prison now with all the barriers, concrete and fences around the place, as a friend commented to me, it must takes them hours to lock up at night with all the locks they have :D

25K in the parish of Ennis is way off the mark. The greater Ennis area has a population of around 25k. That includes a huge chunk of Barefield parish and parts of clarecastle and other neighboring parishes. The true pick for Eire-og is around half that and then thats shared with the banner. Its not as bad as it seems though not brilliant either.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭KIB4Life

Eire Og have 3 players on the Hurling Panel and 6 on the Football Panel, as far as I’m aware they definitely have more on the county panels then what you said above anyway.

Davys Fits wrote: »
    25K in the parish of Ennis is way off the mark. The greater Ennis area has a population of around 25k. That includes a huge chunk of Barefield parish and parts of clarecastle and other neighboring parishes. The true pick for Eire-og is around half that and then thats shared with the banner. Its not as bad as it seems though not brilliant either.

Eire Og isn't half of the population, the Banner is lucky to have an eight of the players in Ennis, for example Gavin Cooney lives close to The Banner but plays for Eire OG.

I got the 25k from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ennis which has the urban population listed, looking at http://www.clarecoco.ie/Accessible_HTML/business/socio_economic_profile_of_clare/socio_economic_profile_of_clare.html there was 20k within the town boundries in 2006.

• Advertisement

KIB4Life wrote: »
    Eire Og have 3 players on the Hurling Panel and 6 on the Football Panel, as far as I’m aware they definitely have more on the county panels then what you said above anyway.

How many are making the team or even a match day squad? I'd say nearly every senior team has 3 players on the intercounty panels at this stage.

As I said, Eire Og is definitely going in the right direction but I think they should be supplying more players than they are at the moment, saying that, Clare doesn't need a strong Eire Og to win, I don't think there was any Eire Og player on the 92 football team and Stephen Mc was the only Eire Og player on the 95 and 97 team, although Colin Lynch was playing for them in 97 but transferred the following year.

Advertisement