Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clare GAA Discussion part 2 , No Purple Jumpers Allowed !!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

Cant say I'd agree with that...

you live by the sword and die by it , the reason for the lack of outcry with Gerry is because he dosnt use his public image to enhance his career be it tv shows , investment in pubs and restaurants with premier league footballers or slaging off his own players on the Sunday game for wanting to take a year out playing football or soccer

at club level clare is pretty much a duel county so its still seen as a low blow here that he blamed the poor 2015 championship on lads wanting to give the other code a try , also the clare Oscar traynor's won 2 national titles and newmarket celtic (sunday league team ) got narrowly beaten in the 3rd round of the FaI cup to division 1 side cabinteely with many current or ex intercounty players , fitz wants or wanted clare to concentrate on one code and his way of playing , it might work in other counties but not here ,

fitz is always in the media for one reason and it rarely is hurling thats why no one cares or the lack of outcry

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭BloodyBill

you live by the sword and die by it , the reason for the lack of outcry with Gerry is because he dosnt use his public image to enhance his career be it tv shows , investment in pubs and restaurants with premier league footballers or slaging off his own players on the Sunday game for wanting to take a year out playing football or soccer

at club level clare is pretty much a duel county so its still seen as a low blow here that he blamed the poor 2015 championship on lads wanting to give the other code a try , also the clare Oscar traynor's won 2 national titles and newmarket celtic (sunday league team ) got narrowly beaten in the 3rd round of the FaI cup to division 1 side cabinteely with many current or ex intercounty players , fitz wants or wanted clare to concentrate on one code and his way of playing , it might work in other counties but not here ,

fitz is always in the media for one reason and it rarely is hurling thats why no one cares or the lack of outcry

Yeah I'd agree with your point on Fitzy . However at the top level there's no players on a county panel playing abit of Soccer or whatever on the side. Doesn't happen anymore due to the demands of the sport.
    Clare isn't a dual county in the same vein as say Wexford. The hurling heartland around Sixmilebridge like,Newmarket, Shannon, Quin..Clonlara..all hurling clubs exclusively or primarily..Shannon obviously play football and Cratloe are a totally dual club.
    Also Clare isn't a sporting county in comparison to its neighbours Limerick. Ennis is terrible.. no league of Ireland football or Senior rugby team for a town of its side...The Oscar Traynor team is fantastic but the standard of soccer isn't in the same league as the Limerick District league..not on the same planet.
    But to your main point I agree..fitzy and his acolytes are doing a low level undermining of Lohan.

BloodyBill wrote: »
    Yeah I'd agree with your point on Fitzy . However at the top level there's no players on a county panel playing abit of Soccer or whatever on the side. Doesn't happen anymore due to the demands of the sport.
    Clare isn't a dual county in the same vein as say Wexford. The hurling heartland around Sixmilebridge like,Newmarket, Shannon, Quin..Clonlara..all hurling clubs exclusively or primarily..Shannon obviously play football and Cratloe are a totally dual club.
    Also Clare isn't a sporting county in comparison to its neighbours Limerick. Ennis is terrible.. no league of Ireland football or Senior rugby team for a town of its side...The Oscar Traynor team is fantastic but the standard of soccer isn't in the same league as the Limerick District league..not on the same planet.
    But to your main point I agree..fitzy and his acolytes are doing a low level undermining of Lohan.

screw the standard players only have 10 to 15 years to achieve as much as they can in sport , if players want to jump ship and try their hand in football soccer , rugby whatever it is none of fitzs business he should have accepted his faith and moved on instead of running to the media to complain

he went to the sunday game to throw daggers at his own players which in my opinion is totally unforgivable and should never be forgotten

When the County board meeting finished last week..the truck driver pulled across the side curtain like it was a Broadway show...encore they roared from the stand.

:pac::pac: :D

its a pity mulqueens were closed they would have made a fortune in red roses and underwear , :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

The problem you have is that historically football was in the west and hurling was in the rest but now that has changed a lot, Cratloe, Eire Og, Ballyea/Clonegad are all dual clubs now, Kilmaley has players from football clubs and other clubs like Clarecastle and Wolfe Tonnes would have adult teams playing both codes. Throw in Newmarket having an extremely strong soccer setup and you have 7 clubs with players playing 2 codes and a fairly high level.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭Marty Xavier

Still in those dual clubs football is often at best neglected and at worst discrimanted against, apart from Cratloe.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Still in those dual clubs football is often at best neglected and at worst discrimanted against, apart from Cratloe.

Agreed, and everything goes on grand, if the hurlers are knocked out early they play football, no problems, back in the day Frank Lohan even played for the Clare footballers after the hurlers were knocked out (96 I think). But when you have a dictator come in insisting on something being done when it not needed it just creates hassle.

Looking at the senior panel, I would say that probably only Browne, Cleary, Kelly, Ryan, O'Donnell, Podge, Cathal Mc and Flanagan will be playing hurling and football this year and even at that some of them mightn't both, it's a non-issue in my opinion, if lads want to play, let them play.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Gael85

I see Billy Sheehan has transferred into Cratloe from St Judes.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Gael85 wrote: »
    He has racked up a lot of clubs over the years. Be a good addition to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭Marty Xavier

Is that the Kerry footballer?

Any confirmation of a positive Covid test in a Clare senior club hurler?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭opinionated3

Is that the Kerry footballer?

Any confirmation of a positive Covid test in a Clare senior club hurler?

Former laois footballer. Married to marie crowe, the sports journalist from SMB I believe, open to correction on that. Good addition to cratloe for sure.
    Didn't hear anything about a positive test

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Gael85

Former laois footballer. Married to marie crowe, the sports journalist from SMB I believe, open to correction on that. Good addition to cratloe for sure.
    Didn't hear anything about a positive test

Yes Sheehan married to Marie Crowe.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭KK36

Gael85 wrote: »

He's had more clubs than Tiger Woods

• Registered Users Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭Figerty

Clareman wrote: »

I'd pick that team. Kelly and Lynch were better hurlers than Baker. You could swap Doyle and Daly but both were exceptional.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Feenie

Its a hard issue to tackle. The Hurling area dominates most of the population of Clare but historically the west of Clare was football's toehold in the county. Kilrush, Kilmurry, Milton were always some of the best club teams in Munster. These days more and more countys are going duel and we're slowly seeing clare go that way. 2016 and 2019 were both break out seasons for the footballers and probably the best they've done since 1992. Some might say it's a waste of energy, given clare will most likely never be football all Ireland contenders. Either way I don't think it's any harm, experiences from different sports stand to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,863 ✭✭✭Pogue eile

Pogue eile wrote: »
    . The suggestion that the 2013 team was more talented is ludicrous: how many of the 2013 team would have made the 1995/7 team??
    Probably every one of the forwards, Jamesie would probably hold his place, Hegarty in 95 would probably lose out, Baker would be touch and go in midfield, 5 of the 6 backs in 95/97 were as good as ever to play to the game so hard to drop any of them.

So to answer your question, about half the 2013 team
    Pogue eile wrote: »
    We disagree greatly so! I'd have at the very least 10 of the 95/97 team and a max of 5 from the 2013 team.

Glad to see that the recency bias wasn't a factor.

Some team all the same. Forwards would only need to score a dozen points to win!

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭BloodyBill

Feenie wrote: »
    Its a hard issue to tackle. The Hurling area dominates most of the population of Clare but historically the west of Clare was football's toehold in the county. Kilrush, Kilmurry, Milton were always some of the best club teams in Munster. These days more and more countys are going duel and we're slowly seeing clare go that way. 2016 and 2019 were both break out seasons for the footballers and probably the best they've done since 1992. Some might say it's a waste of energy, given clare will most likely never be football all Ireland contenders. Either way I don't think it's any harm, experiences from different sports stand to you.

At the top level being a dual club means you win less. Cratloe are a good case in point. Always going strong in both codes but ultimately coming up short around the quarters and semis because of the strain of playing both codes. Really big clubs could manage abit better. Eire Og and Shannon should be able to compete in both. They do compete but Eire Og never threaten to really win the Canon Hamilton. Shannon have gone miles back and compete at B level underage.
    Iv no problem with kids playing multiple sports. Id rather my kids play hurling and Rugby than Gaelic Football. And they have different seasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭square ball

At the top level being a dual club means you win less. Cratloe are a good case in point. Always going strong in both codes but ultimately coming up short around the quarters and semis because of the strain of playing both codes. Really big clubs could manage abit better. Eire Og and Shannon should be able to compete in both. They do compete but Eire Og never threaten to really win the Canon Hamilton. Shannon have gone miles back and compete at B level underage.
    Iv no problem with kids playing multiple sports. Id rather my kids play hurling and Rugby than Gaelic Football. And they have different seasons.

It's a bit simplistic blaming Cratloe being a dual club as the reason they aren't winning more. It is a factor. But they are a very small team and struggle to win puckouts/kickouts against the better teams. They have to run teams into the ground and use about 20 players across both codes and ultimately this is the reason they aren't winning more. They look exceptional against lesser teams but against the better teams their deficiencies get exposed.

Eire Og and Wolfe Tones are really underperforming given the numbers and resources available. Eire Og have improved slightly in the last couple of years but should be in top 4 or 5 in both codes every year. Wolfe Tones shouldn't be far behind them and really went to pot for a while. They are getting a small bit better but have a long way to go.

We should be pulling a big percentage of our county teams from the bigger towns.

it might seem contradictory but I agree. I think the order we had worked, football was in the west, hurling in the East. I think the whole focus on going duel is a bad idea for the county. a question if you like both-would you rather have the resources go towards hurling, which could massively help our chances at all irelands and other titles, or go to football, which we more than likely will never be at that level?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭Figerty

Feenie wrote: »
    it might seem contradictory but I agree. I think the order we had worked, football was in the west, hurling in the East. I think the whole focus on going duel is a bad idea for the county. a question if you like both-would you rather have the resources go towards hurling, which could massively help our chances at all irelands and other titles, or go to football, which we more than likely will never be at that level?

The contradiction is that Hurling is very strong and that football is strong with the spread of football eastwards. It was pointed out in a national newspaper review of teams that Clare football has achieved a consistently high standard with the current Colm Collins regeime. Yes we aren't up there with the big boys but we are holding our own,
    We are probably in our most consistent phase of football ever. John Maughan did great things but Collins seems to have found and maintained a level. I know this year could all go pear shaped now when things resume.

Populations have changed a lot, according to the census in 2016 there's 118k people living in Clare, in 1990 there was 90k (source), that's a huge increase but in that same amount of time there has been a huge shift in population from the West to the East of the county so there is going to be a lot of overlap between the 2 sports. I think Clare has enough players to be I the top 10 counties in both grades, I don't think the footballers are good enough to win an All Ireland but they are good enough to reach the Super 8s and with a bit of luck maybe a Munster title, the hurlers should be contesting finals year after year.

Figerty wrote: »
    The contradiction is that Hurling is very strong and that football is strong with the spread of football eastwards. It was pointed out in a national newspaper review of teams that Clare football has achieved a consistently high standard with the current Colm Collins regeime. Yes we aren't up there with the big boys but we are holding our own,
    We are probably in our most consistent phase of football ever. John Maughan did great things but Collins seems to have found and maintained a level. I know this year could all go pear shaped now when things resume.

I think what Collins has done is brought it all together and got a squad in place, we'd always have had a core of 4 or 5 excellent players, then another 4 or 5 average players, then we'd be struggling, now we have a decent squad. A few years in division 2 with decent championship runs could lay the foundation for a bright future

Eire Og and Wolfe Tones are really underperforming given the numbers and resources available. Eire Og have improved slightly in the last couple of years but should be in top 4 or 5 in both codes every year. Wolfe Tones shouldn't be far behind them and really went to pot for a while. They are getting a small bit better but have a long way to go.

We should be pulling a big percentage of our county teams from the bigger towns.

Wolfe Tonnes won the county championship in 2006, Eire Og last won it in 1990, considering the pick they have as well as the facilities next door in Flannan's that's a terrible return for a club the size of Eire Og, they won 2 football championships this century alright but up until shortly before that they weren't even a senior club. I was speaking to someone recently about Eire Og and they were saying that they have put in great work into their academy and have loads of young players coming through but it could be a while before they see an improvement at senior level.

The fact that for the last championship squad there was only 2 players from Eire Og, Wolfe Tonnes, Newmarket, Barefield and Clarecastle combined shows that the power of Clare hurling has shifted considerably.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭square ball

Wolfe Tonnes won the county championship in 2006, Eire Og last won it in 1990, considering the pick they have as well as the facilities next door in Flannan's that's a terrible return for a club the size of Eire Og, they won 2 football championships this century alright but up until shortly before that they weren't even a senior club. I was speaking to someone recently about Eire Og and they were saying that they have put in great work into their academy and have loads of young players coming through but it could be a while before they see an improvement at senior level.

The fact that for the last championship squad there was only 2 players from Eire Og, Wolfe Tonnes, Newmarket, Barefield and Clarecastle combined shows that the power of Clare hurling has shifted considerably.

Wolfe Tones are a million miles away from winning a championship at the minute.

Eire Og had the pick of the biggest town in the county for a long long time. Hopefully The Banner can hold onto their players and get up to Senior in both codes soon it might end up helping Eire Og if they were competing.

Eire Og, Wolfe Tones, Newmarket, Doora Barefield and Clarecastle are probably 5 of the top 6/7 clubs in terms of population bases. Hurling in the county needs these clubs winning titles and producing intercounty players. St. Joseph's look to be getting strong underage in both codes.

In fairness the hurlers still get more resources. The job Colm Collins has done is up there with winning hurling All Ireland's. Playing intercounty football is now attractive for players and we compete well with almost everyone. The top 4 or 5 teams in football are miles ahead of everyone else but we are capable of beating anyone else. We went through the league in Division 2 this year missing 5 or 6 starters and were competitive in every game. We had a very good chance to make a Munster final and super 8's this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Sterling Archer

Clare Gaa TV cost and games
    https://twitter.com/DLynchSport/status/1285707128997650435?s=19

The games will be pay for view. The link to purchase the viewing time of the games will be on Clare GAA website and follow the link for Clare GAA TV. Clare GAA PRO Michael 0 Connor has announced the following games will be shown live from Cusack Park on Clare GAA TV Friday: 7pm: Clooney/Quin v Inagh/Kilnamona Saturday: 1 pm: Eire-og v Sixmilebridge Saturday: 4pm: Broadford v 0 Callaghans Mills Saturday 7pm: Cratloe v Kilmaley Sunday: 1 pm: Ballyea v Crusheen The cost of the live senior games are 7.80 each The remaining three senior games that are listed for Sixmilebridge will be on deferred showing. These games are Clonlara v Newmarket On Fergus Whitegate v Feakle Castlecastle v Wolfe Tones.

The cost of the live senior games are 7.80 each The remaining three senior games that are listed for Sixmilebridge will be on deferred showing. These games are Clonlara v Newmarket On Fergus Whitegate v Feakle Castlecastle v Wolfe Tones. The cost of the deferred senior and Intermediate games are 3.50 each. The Clare PRO also announced that the eight Intermediate hurling championship ties scheduled for the weekend will be recorded and shown on Clare GAA TV as deferred showing alongside the three senior ties from Sixmilebridge. "Clare GAA TV will be showing the largest number of games in the country on Live or deferred showing for any county in Ireland". He added that "Clare FM will also be providing commentary support as well as providing listener who cannot get to view the games a chance to listen to a number of games". Finally Michael 0 Connor announced"that whilst there will be no programmes for sale there will be a online programme produced for the eight senior games and provided to every club, media organisation and also available to every supporter on Clare twitter and website. Also on the online programme will be the links to purchase the games that are being shown live"

For reference
    Cork live streams will be free,
    Tipp are €10
    Limerick are €8
    Galway are €6, 2 for €10, 3 for €15, 4 for €20 where available
    Wexford are €5
    Kerry are €5 (expected)
    Westmeath are €10 - they also confirm it is costing €980 for them to stream
    Roscommon are €5
    As a point, only Clare have committed to streaming or delayed coverage to all senior games, live streaming a game would cost about €1,000 for a decent setup with some decent production value with a good crew, but could also be done with a cameramen and 1 commentator, however anyone who has seen some of the games streamsports.ie have covered in the past will know how poor that can look.

Other details:
    The player they are using does not look to have the ability to cast - still checking tho
    No mention if they intend to Geo-lock coverage.
    No mention if you are purchasing to view the live stream only or if you can rewatch it later
    No mention if delayed coverage is single viewing or multiviewing

If I could pay for all Clare Senior matches I would but I'm not going to pay €7.80 a match, €7.80 for 1 amatuer club hurling match, are they having a laugh? I can get a Sky Sports day pass for €10 and that will have all the live sport on that day, for example today I could get darts and 2 premiership matches for a €10.

Wolfe Tones are a million miles away from winning a championship at the minute.

Eire Og had the pick of the biggest town in the county for a long long time. Hopefully The Banner can hold onto their players and get up to Senior in both codes soon it might end up helping Eire Og if they were competing.

Eire Og, Wolfe Tones, Newmarket, Doora Barefield and Clarecastle are probably 5 of the top 6/7 clubs in terms of population bases. Hurling in the county needs these clubs winning titles and producing intercounty players. St. Joseph's look to be getting strong underage in both codes.
    They are all putting in the ground work alright and they should have serious teams in years to come but the problem when it gets to minor/senior levels players can drop off a lot, it's a lot easier to keep lads interested at under age because chances are there's only 2 players for each position and most clubs have a rule where the player in the last year at that level starts, which is a great rule in my opinion, but making the transition to adult levels gets rid of that and a lot of players can be lost.
    In fairness the hurlers still get more resources. The job Colm Collins has done is up there with winning hurling All Ireland's. Playing intercounty football is now attractive for players and we compete well with almost everyone. The top 4 or 5 teams in football are miles ahead of everyone else but we are capable of beating anyone else. We went through the league in Division 2 this year missing 5 or 6 starters and were competitive in every game. We had a very good chance to make a Munster final and super 8's this year.

Football is in big trouble in my opinion, there's more counties that can win the hurling all ireland than the football at this stage, even the super 8s are just more matches for the top 4, Clare lost out narrowly to Meath last week, bounce of a ball and Clare could have made it instead of Meath but they wouldn't have gotten any closer to winning a match BUT that could be groundwork for next season.

They are all putting in the ground work alright and they should have serious teams in years to come but the problem when it gets to minor/senior levels players can drop off a lot, it's a lot easier to keep lads interested at under age because chances are there's only 2 players for each position and most clubs have a rule where the player in the last year at that level starts, which is a great rule in my opinion, but making the transition to adult levels gets rid of that and a lot of players can be lost.

Football is in big trouble in my opinion, there's more counties that can win the hurling all ireland than the football at this stage, even the super 8s are just more matches for the top 4, Clare lost out narrowly to Meath last week, bounce of a ball and Clare could have made it instead of Meath but they wouldn't have gotten any closer to winning a match BUT that could be groundwork for next season.

I have to agree with the first part, Eire Og need to get it together. Ennis is a huge town and it's a shame the hurling potential is being missed out on. Some proper coaches are probably an order.

as for the football part, don't get ahead of yourselves. There's about 4 really good teams in football to me. Galway, Tyrone, Dublin and Kerry. Maybe Monaghan and Donegal aswell but regardless. In 2019 Clare beat Waterford by a single point, Leitrim, Westmeath and then lost to Meath. I'm sorry, Colm Collins is a brilliant manager, but he can't get us to an all-Ireland. even if we did make it to the super 8s we would have gotten knocked about the place.

• Advertisement

I think in football there's the top tier of Dublin and Kerry, Mayo are just below that, then there's Galway and Tyrone followed closely by Monaghan and Donegal, then there's the rest of which Clare would be near the top, of last year's super 8s, Clare might hope to beat Roscommon, Meath or Cork but they wouldn't have a hope against the rest unfortunately but they would benefit of the experience of playing in the Super 8s, weirdly, I think Clare would benefit more from playing in the super 8s than they would from getting to division 1 of the league.

Advertisement