Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clare GAA Discussion part 2 , No Purple Jumpers Allowed !!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Gael85

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Feenie

• Registered Users Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Sterling Archer

So I've watched all the available games over this weekend, the first two games in the park were very good, no issues with the picture breaking up or anything, and having an actual scoreboard was nice, the Milltown v KiB game was ok again no issue with the stream, however the camera work was all over the place

The deferred games from Milltown were ok stream wise, but the camera work was shocking absolutely shocking, I wouldn't be surprised if the camera operator never filmed a gaa game before.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

Ah that second goal for Breckens is just comical. Never seen it happen before

it was ridiculous , they were using killian roche as a sweeper keeper all day , stupid tactic if you ask me and probably cost them the game in the end

pearse is a fairly descent footballer in fairness i dont blame him i blame the goal keeper or whoever told him to make a run out to the sideline leaving the net empty with the ball on their own 13 yard line :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭Marty Xavier

Why did the goalie not attempt to block the first goal, had the whistle sounded? he seems to put his hands behind him and turn to the side?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭Figerty

Looking at the video, he heard the whistle or saw the ref and stopped. No blame there.
    It was a freak goal, that's all.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭BloodyBill

Feenie wrote: »
    that's just embarrassing.

Most embarrassing goal ever. The standard in Clare club football is bad. The guy literally kicked the ball straight into his teammates head from 6 ft. The guy didn't come across his path he was there the whole time.

Is it worse than any other tier 2 county though?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,927 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Why did the goalie not attempt to block the first goal, had the whistle sounded? he seems to put his hands behind him and turn to the side?

First goal was a foul and the ref had blown up so there wasn't anything to save.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,927 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

it was ridiculous , they were using killian roche as a sweeper keeper all day , stupid tactic if you ask me and probably cost them the game in the end

pearse is a fairly descent footballer in fairness i dont blame him i blame the goal keeper or whoever told him to make a run out to the sideline leaving the net empty with the ball on their own 13 yard line :rolleyes:

In fairness to the goalie even if he was on his line he'd have struggled to save a shot with a forward coming at him unmarked.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭Treble double

BloodyBill wrote: »
    Most embarrassing goal ever. The standard in Clare club football is bad. The guy literally kicked the ball straight into his teammates head from 6 ft. The guy didn't come across his path he was there the whole time.

The standard in Clare club football is bad because of one stray kick, 😀 People love to knock football in this county, mistakes happen all the time in team sport, mayo scored two own goals in an all Ireland final. These thing happen, laugh at it and get over it

The standard in Clare club football is bad because of one stray kick, �� People love to knock football in this county, mistakes happen all the time in team sport, mayo scored two own goals in an all Ireland final. These thing happen, laugh at it and get over it

I agree, but I saw the highlights of some of the Kerry senior games are the weekend. The power running and use of the ball showed a different class of play.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭Treble double

Figerty wrote: »
    I agree, but I saw the highlights of some of the Kerry senior games are the weekend. The power running and use of the ball showed a different class of play.

That's great fair play to them in Kerry, the whole of a very big county playing one code, keen competition drives up standards. Most years whoever wins the senior football in Clare does alright in Munster, they have even won it on two or three occasions.
    It's easy to knock and Clare football will always be a target for some because it is perceived a hurling county, our hurling champions were hammered on their own pitch in Munster last year and they are dominating in the county at the moment.

The standard in Clare club football is bad because of one stray kick, �� People love to knock football in this county, mistakes happen all the time in team sport, mayo scored two own goals in an all Ireland final. These thing happen, laugh at it and get over it

Did they? when?

That's great fair play to them in Kerry, the whole of a very big county playing one code, keen competition drives up standards. Most years whoever wins the senior football in Clare does alright in Munster, they have even won it on two or three occasions.
    It's easy to knock and Clare football will always be a target for some because it is perceived a hurling county, our hurling champions were hammered on their own pitch in Munster last year and they are dominating in the county at the moment.

I wasn't knocking it. It's a observation.
    What is noticeable is that the Kerry teams have amalgamations at times so their Club championship teams can't go forward to the Munster club.

The Bridge were hammered last year by a very experianced Munster club team who destroyed the sweeper system with hard running. Last year was an exception for the Bridge. they are normally very competititive. What we do have in Clare is a list of champions that varys, no club has won three or four in a row in hurling.

Corofin in Galway are a joy to watch and the dominate.

Clareman wrote: »

Thanks I remembered there being one own goal (for some reasin I thought that the defender caught a ball under the bar and dropped it, and a poor kickout where the keeper had to drag the forward down and conceded a penalty, perhaps another Mayo tragedy?

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭square ball

It was 100% Pearse's fault. He kicked the free off the back of the head of a lad a couple of metres away from him. How would it be anyone elses fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭KIB4Life

Thanks I remembered there being one own goal (for some reasin I thought that the defender caught a ball under the bar and dropped it, and a poor kickout where the keeper had to drag the forward down and conceded a penalty, perhaps another Mayo tragedy?

I think you might be thinking of the replay in 2016, when Robbie Hennelly came in goals for the replay and had a disastrous day. He gave several kick outs including one which resulted in Lee Keegan getting a black card, he also Dropped a ball in the square and ended up fouling Paddy Andrews to give away a penalty where he was black card. Mayo could write a book on tragedy at this stage that could rival any Shakespeare tragedy.

• Advertisement

It was 100% Pearse's fault. He kicked the free off the back of the head of a lad a couple of metres away from him. How would it be anyone elses fault.

ah now come on , when did you ever see a goal keeper and a corner back depart their duty as last line of defense and take off to the sideline as if their mother had called them in for their dinner

players are always turning over the ball in club level trying to be precise kicking a fast ball into an already crowded area the day of kicking a clearance 60 yards down the field are pretty much dead

if the keeper and the corner back stayed close to goal jack sheady would have up to 3 players to beat to score , ever remember playing fly goalkeeper in 5 a side as a kid , even then this would never happen

ah now come on , when did you ever see a goal keeper and a corner back depart their duty as last line of defense and take off to the sideline as if their mother had called them in for their dinner

players are always turning over the ball in club level trying to be precise kicking a fast ball into an already crowded area the day of kicking a clearance 60 yards down the field are pretty much dead

if the keeper and the corner back stayed close to goal jack sheady would have up to 3 players to beat to score , ever remember playing fly goalkeeper in 5 a side as a kid , even then this would never happen

I haven't seen a defender kick a free off another defenders head on the 21 since under 10's. The modern game is all possession so everyone looks for the ball. Most keepers will look for the ball there. Roche plays outfield for them as well so is comfortable on the ball so is always making himself available for defenders.

It would have been a one on one with the forward scoring 99 times out of a hundred anyway. I'd be blaming Lillis anyway as he should have been more careful there. He kicked it away.

I haven't seen a defender kick a free off another defenders head on the 21 since under 10's. The modern game is all possession so everyone looks for the ball. Most keepers will look for the ball there. Roche plays outfield for them as well so is comfortable on the ball so is always making himself available for defenders.

It would have been a one on one with the forward scoring 99 times out of a hundred anyway. I'd be blaming Lillis anyway as he should have been more careful there. He kicked it away.

it wouldnt have been 1 on 1 as he was tackled by one defender before he broke away for the goal , the keeper and the corner back would have been next in line to defend it had they stayed put

it rarely works as a tactic in a high profile situation , definitely not 5 minutes from time with the scores level , if they want to play him out field play him out their , their 2nd choice was a minor keeper for clare but dont ask him to do both it only causes more harm then good playing this tactic

it wouldnt have been 1 on 1 as he was tackled by one defender before he broke away for the goal , the keeper and the corner back would have been next in line to defend it had they stayed put

it rarely works as a tactic in a high profile situation , definitely not 5 minutes from time with the scores level , if they want to play him out field play him out their , their 2nd choice was a minor keeper for clare but dont ask him to do both it only causes more harm then good playing this tactic

Sidestepped him and would probably have beaten him as well anyway. Every corner back runs off to make themselves available for a short pass there. Most goalies will look for the pass but usually stick close enough to goal. Also very hard for teams to squeeze up and press when their keeper doubles up as an extra option when they have the ball. It solves more problems than it creates but he was unlucky the ball was turned over so close to goal here.

It was Pearse's fault anyway regardless of where they were. He lost possession.

I blame the defender with his back to the guy kicking the ball.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭KIB4Life

I blame the defender with his back to the guy kicking the ball.

What about the forward that didn’t track Jack Sheedy’s run, you could really blame several players for the goal it was really just a team calamity.

All live Hurling games this weekend can be bought for €30 (6 games) this excludes Sundays games which are deferred coverage and will cost €3.50 each

Going by the football coverage last week there has been a drastic improvement in quality and production value, but given there previous issue and lack of support I'd still be wary of it.

However the deferred coverage was shocking, as the camera work was absolutely terrible, I'm fully sure the operator doesn't know how to film sport so I hold no hope for the deferred coverage being of any use, since hurling is harder to film. Also was using the older layout so isn't as high in quality

Hearing that a Cratloe player has Covid so they are out of the hurling and football.

• Advertisement

Clareman wrote: »
    Hearing that a Cratloe player has Covid so they are out of the hurling and football.

Confirmed by the club via social media

Possibilities that it can affect Lissycasey and Kilmaley? As they played Lissycasey last weekend?

Advertisement